• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chipotle: ‘most’ of its restaurants were infected with credit card stealing malware

I've never had a damaged strip. Chips are generally slower, but not by that much. NFC is not widely in use, at least in America.

These threads are always funny to me. Like Americans should just get off their fat, fast food-infused asses and replace the payment infrastructure at every shop across the country. Doesn't quite work that way.

It's about one step short of people spamming "SWIPING IN 2017
1x
" like we're in Twitch chat.
Well we should. It's just another symptom showing the sad state of overall infrastructure in the US. Obviously the US is massive and it is therefore difficult to upgrade everything, but at some point, it has to be ok to point out the reality of how far behind we are on things like this.

Except, the chip doesn't do anything when ordering online so you're still easily vulnerable. So you're still highly likely to having to deal with your card being canceled and replaced anyway. Mine has twice since getting chipped.
True for online but there are things like virtual CC numbers out there that can be supported.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
I don't buy it, and I won't buy your sick burritos either.

Probably shouldn't drive a car or go outside or swim in the ocean then. You might get in an accident, get struck by lightning, or get eaten by a shark. I've seen those things happen to people on the news.

Except, the chip doesn't do anything when ordering online so you're still easily vulnerable. So you're still highly likely to having to deal with your card being canceled and replaced anyway. Mine has twice since getting chipped.

The point of the chip isn't to stop individual attacks or website hacks. Those are much tougher to prevent, and compared to a massive breach like this, are just a drop in the bucket. The chip is meant to prevent large-scale things like this.

akira28

Probably shouldn't drive a car or go outside or swim in the ocean then. You might get in an accident, get struck by lightning, or get eaten by a shark. I've seen those things happen to people on the news.

none of those are dependent on habitual cross contamination and lax food safety procedures. If god wants to throw an electrified burrito at me from on high, He can. but if I make a burrito myself, I can be sure it will be safe for me to eat.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
none of those are dependent on habitual cross contamination and lax food safety procedures. If god wants to throw an electrified burrito at me from on high, He can. but if I make a burrito myself, I can be sure it will be safe for me to eat.

Oh man, you should probably never work in the restaurant industry. You'll never eat out again once you see the type of shit that happens everywhere.

Also, they were cleared by the FDA, so none of that is an issue anymore. Or are you one of those types who doesn't believe companies/people/etc can ever recover or improve after one mistake?

akira28

Oh man, you should probably never work in the restaurant industry. You'll never eat out again once you see the type of shit that happens everywhere.

Also, they were cleared by the FDA, so none of that is an issue anymore. Or are you one of those types who doesn't believe companies/people/etc can ever recover or improve after one mistake?

that's why I tell them well. done. everything. and rubber gloves when you bring my plate.

oh gee, the FDA? I guess that's supposed to make me feel safer, but somehow fails because its the FDA.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

I'd advise you to never look at your cities health code inspection reports. Most places post them online.
You'll never eat out again.

Tacitus_

Depending on the system used, chip readers can be dog slow compared to swiping.

Publix, when they first rolled them out, literally would take almost a minute. They've updated their systems in the last few months, but it's still noticeably slower than swiping.

What the hell were they using for connection, smoke signals? My payments generally go through in a couple of seconds.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
that's why I tell them well. done. everything. and rubber gloves when you bring my plate.

Oof, I'm not sure why it took this long for me to figure out you're trolling. Bravo.

akira28

Oof, I'm not sure why it took this long for me to figure out you're trolling. Bravo.

I'm completely half serious. I noticed from the start that you're a Chipotle employee.

edit: I don't love burritos that much to take the chance, and I think that food illness outbreak numbers are never completely precise. Many if not most people who experience full on food poisoning never report it, they just cycle through unless it gets really bad. So telling me that the odds are in my favor don't do much when every 3 months you'll have to shut down to retrain your nationwide staff in food safety. so while there is an edge of humor, I do see problems with the food industry, and try not to take chances.

Especially when Chipotle doesn't need e.coli to send me to the hourly john.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
I'm completely half serious. I noticed from the start that you're a Chipotle employee.

I go there often enough I might as well be one. Not a shareholder, though.

Especially when Chipotle doesn't need e.coli to send me to the hourly john.

Real talk, might want to see a doc about that. That's not normal.

dbztrk

I had fraudulent activity on my debit card. I had to get my card cancelled and get a replacement. I never knew how my card got compromised. I'm not saying it was because of Chipotle but it's starting to look like a strong possibility.

Dunk#7

My wife ate at one of these locations multiple times during the time period listed.

All she has is a debit card.

Best course of action?

Can your bank send you a new debit card without cancelling the old one until it arrives?

My wife ate at one of these locations multiple times during the time period listed.

Best course of action?

Can your bank send you a new debit card without cancelling the old one until it arrives?

Maybe she can get a credit card? The theft protection credit cards have are great, and if this type of situation ever happens, it wouldn't be money from her bank account getting stolen, but the credit​ card company's.

Best course of action?

I would call for a new card. They will immediately cancel the old card though. Maybe hit the ATM before calling.

Replaced my card.

Man Chipotle is just dead, I am surprised they havn't gone under or renamed/restart. It used to be crowded and full of people. Since the first PR disaster with e-coli, I can go and get a bowl with no one in line or maybe a few but nothing big. Nowadays there are more workers sitting around chilling with nothing to do when I come in around noon to peak hours.

Dunk#7

Maybe she can get a credit card? The theft protection credit cards have are great, and if this type of situation ever happens, it wouldn't be money from her bank account getting stolen, but the credit​ card company's.

I have always kept credit to a minimum. Don't want to get in the hole many do with credit cards. Only have one that is used for work expenses and vacations. Currently close to an 800 credit score.

Wouldn't want to get caught off-guard by forgotten credit card charges.

Don't banks protect you somewhat with debit cards as well?

Linkura

I have always kept credit to a minimum. Don't want to get in the hole many do with credit cards. Only have one that is used for work expenses and vacations. Currently close to an 800 credit score.

You can pay credit cards off whenever. Even more often than once a month, and in full. You can also view your account activity at any time online.

You aren't as protected with a debit card. That money is coming directly out of your bank account at least until the matter is settled.

i actually did eat at one of the affected (?) locations twice during the period in question, so i submitted a 'fraud alert' to the credit agencies, as recommended by the chipotle website

i'm not worried about people making purchases with my cards, cause that's easy to deal with, but i don't want anyone to try to open a new card in my name :s

set up text alerts.

set up email alerts.

set up app alerts if the card has an app.

pay them off once a week or whatever.

it's just way way way way way safer to use a credit card.

Replaced my card.

Man Chipotle is just dead, I am surprised they havn't gone under or renamed/restart. It used to be crowded and full of people. Since the first PR disaster with e-coli, I can go and get a bowl with no one in line or maybe a few but nothing big. Nowadays there are more workers sitting around chilling with nothing to do when I come in around noon to peak hours.

Yeah seriously. I'd go there a few times a month like 3-4 years ago. After all their restaurants shut down from the e-coli thing I haven't been back since. Every time I walk by one now it seems dead.

I still remember when everyone said chipotle was going to kill mcdonalds.

WaterAstro

Yeah seriously. I'd go there a few times a month like 3-4 years ago. After all their restaurants shut down from the e-coli thing I haven't been back since. Every time I walk by one now it seems dead.

I still remember when everyone said chipotle was going to kill mcdonalds.

The e-coli thing was fake. None of their food, food sources, or equipment tested positive for e-coli.

Chipotle is still plenty busy in my area.

The point of the chip isn't to stop individual attacks or website hacks. Those are much tougher to prevent, and compared to a massive breach like this, are just a drop in the bucket. The chip is meant to prevent large-scale things like this.

The point I was trying to get is that people shouldn't feel like having a chipped card suddenly makes them secure. People seem to get that wrong impression that the chip prevents getting your card compromised.

WaterAstro

JoeLT

Today I'm learning America somehow is still using the magnetic stripe, that hasn't been used here for like almost a decade. We are already moving from chip to contactless as standard everywhere now, there are even things that are contactless only. (Australia)

Weevilone

I always use credit cards to protect against this kind of thing. My supermarket was compromised and they hit both my cards, plus a debit card that I have to use for FSA purposes. The credit was simply reversed. It took forever to get the debit money back. It had $5-6k just wiped out and sat empty for at least a couple months. If that had been my checking account wiped out, would have been bad.

Top Bottom