• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines 2's first post-launch DLC, Beach Properties, is out now and players aren't happy: 'This is a disgrace'

Draugoth

Gold Member
Beach Properties is a weird DLC to lead with. It's an asset pack, so it doesn't introduce any new features, instead throwing a waterfront zone, a bunch of new growable buildings, six signature buildings and, erm, four trees into the mix. Despite the name, it doesn't actually include beaches, and the assets have been criticised for mostly being a bunch of regular houses.

Granted, at $10/£8.49, this was not going to be a beefy expansion. And it's probably better for Colossal Order to work on getting the game in a better state than shifting to developing brand new features. Even with that in mind, though, players haven't been too impressed with the value on offer here.

"There is nothing in this DLC that justifies it costing a fifth of the price of the base game," one review reads.

"This is a disgrace. The assets look nice, but for 10 euros, there is way too little in this DLC,"

reads another.

IMG_6892.jpeg

SJRB

Gold Member
Have these clowns even fixed the base game's outrageously bad performance before peddling their DLC crap?

Weren't they the people who said they were fully aware their game runs like dogshit but they still thought releasing it anyway was the best move?

Last edited:
Reactions: RNG

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Players arent happy but if Paradox/the devs thought consumers opinion mattered they would stop making garbage overpriced dlc, however at least 350 idiots payed 10 bucks for a bunch of trees. Its safe to say I dont blame Paradox at all. They are master swindlers and I would gladly abuse idiotic consumers as well.

Hudo

of course players are fucking unhappy because Paradox' business model of releasing barebones DLC platforms should at the very least make sure these platforms fucking work. Selling DLC for a game that needs thorough fixing is hubris.

And that a DLC called "Beach Properties" does not include beaches is just the cherry on top.

Get fucked, Paradox. Get fucked hard.

Last edited:

GriffinCorp

I've really enjoyed this game, I missed the first one but just built a new PC with a 4070 Super and I wanted to try this game out. A lot has changed since Sim City 4, I've really been enjoying the game but the game crashes probably once or twice an hour, I'm 43 hours in. At least it has a good Auto-Save system but it should have been patched and had bug fixes before launching a bare-bone DLC with only small properties, no new maps, beaches or highway interchanges or anything big comes across as a cash grab.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Compared to f.ex. having to pay to start a new game with a new character, these kinds of cosmetic DLSs don't irritate me much. It's still kinda shitty but as long as the description is solid they make no difference to or from. Safe to ignore.

Edit: I booted up the game once from Game Pass, but then quickly deleted it. Would be nice to know if they fixed the performance?

Last edited:

nani17

are in a big trouble
For those who don't understand the development process which was explained by YouTuber Piratesoftware. The Train Doesn't Stop

He goes on to say each team is split up and they all have timelines if one team messes up no one stops till that team catches up they keep going. So in this case there might have been a team working on the main game the other team would have worked on the DLC another team on marking etc.

So just because the team working on the main game messed up the DLC team still has a deadline to complete. This might be the case for City Skylines II but the pricing is a complete joke

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
People will happily pay $5-$6 for a costume in their favorite fighting game, but draw the line at $10 for buildings and vegetation. Weird

Why fix it when you can work on selling the DLC?

Chances are it’s different groups of people working on the fixes.

tvdaXD

People will happily pay $5-$6 for a costume in their favorite fighting game, but draw the line at $10 for buildings and vegetation. Weird

Chances are it’s different groups of people working on the fixes.
Hell no that is still way to much, skins in game are worth €0,99 at most. And that better be a full character and not a singular clothing item! They're called Micro- transactions after all...

StereoVsn

of course players are fucking unhappy because Paradox' business model of releasing barebones DLC platforms should at the very least make sure these platforms fucking work. Selling DLC for a game that needs thorough fixing is hubris.

And that a DLC called "Beach Properties" does not include beaches is just the cherry on top.

Get fucked, Paradox. Get fucked hard.
Man, Paradox will paradox as usual. Still, not having … beaches as part of Beach DLC is something else alright.

My rule of thumb for Paradox games is now to give them 2 years post launch until dipping in. Things are too barebones otherwise.

Hell, Vicky 3 is finally getting to the point it’s interesting with their next … DLC release.

EU5 will be next from them and I am dreading of how much will be missing from EU4 and years it will take for the game to be viable.

The issue for Paradox is that shit like this won’t always work hence Imperator failure despite that game finally being pretty good between the last patch and mods.

Hudo

Man, Paradox will paradox as usual. Still, not having … beaches as part of Beach DLC is something else alright.

My rule of thumb for Paradox games is now to give them 2 years post launch until dipping in. Things are too barebones otherwise.

Hell, Vicky 3 is finally getting to the point it’s interesting with their next … DLC release.

EU5 will be next from them and I am dreading of how much will be missing from EU4 and years it will take for the game to be viable.

The issue for Paradox is that shit like this won’t always work hence Imperator failure despite that game finally being pretty good between the last patch and mods.
I am still pissed off about them just dropping Imperator: Rome (it had the potential to be the best game by them). And as long as I am pissed, I won't buy anything from them.

And I am still not done being pissed.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

I am still pissed off about them just dropping Imperator: Rome (it's had the potential to be the best game by them). And as long as I am pissed, I won't by anything from them.

And I am still not done being pissed.
I mean I am a sucker for their games since nobody else makes Grand Strategy games as good as Paradox.

That said I am also not happy about Imperator and generally will buy their games couple years post release now… on sale.

Last edited:

Quasicat

Should have just kept the first game and sold expansions, ala the Sims.
I've not heard anything good about this Sequel game.
Seriously. The base game of the first one is sound and the second one still plays pretty rough unless you are playing a beast of a system…which I do not have. I have the first one on Steam, Xbox, and Switch and each port has its strengths and weaknesses, but as far as I’m concerned, the sequel doesn’t exist until it hits the Xbox.

This game is dead. CO have burned all the good will and ruined the game. Besides the atrocious performance issues, the fact that they had falsely advertised how simulation works and refused to fix it says it all. The core mechanics are fundamentally flawed and they are designed that way. And when called out on it, CO's CEO responded "if you don't like it, don't play it.". They have also stopped doing releasing bug fixes until a DLC is released.

Their decision to not allow access steam workshop is a blessing in disguise because everyone gets to see their true colours. Mods would've fixed alot of issues and masked many of the game's shortcomings. A game shouldn't rely on mods to be playable.

Top Bottom