• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CIVILIZATION VI |OT| He's Got the Whole World in His Hands

Grug

Wait... the Deluxe is supposed to have 4 DLC packs... are we halfway there with the Vikings scenarios and Poland? I'm worried there's going to be a ton of DLC down the line and Deluxe owners only get a small front end of that.

That seemed to be their intention all along if I recall correctly. It was the reason I bought the Vanilla edition.

Pricing is pretty ridiculous. I'll bite on extra Civs, but the scenarios are worthless. The Vikings scenario should have been bundled with Poland, can't imagine why anyone would pay for it as a standalone.

Maledict

Pricing is pretty ridiculous. I'll bite on extra Civs, but the scenarios are worthless. The Vikings scenario should have been bundled with Poland, can't imagine why anyone would pay for it as a standalone.

They won't. It's artificially high to justify sticking it in the deluxe edition dlc package.

It's fucking disgusting to be honest, and I deeply regret paying the extra amount. Overall I feel quite burnt by this game and firaxis in general.

Changes sound great. I didn't particularly like how factories perpetuated a sort of honeycomb setup with cities, now they need to nerf colosseum as well and all is well with finding perfects city spots again.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
This sounds obnoxiously strong.

Yeah I have to say that Poland sounds ridiculously overpowered. I honestly might not buy the DLC simply because A) I don't want to play a civ that broken, and B) I don't want to play against a civ that broken! Wow.

Bregor

Yeah I have to say that Poland sounds ridiculously overpowered. I honestly might not buy the DLC simply because A) I don't want to play a civ that broken, and B) I don't want to play against a civ that broken! Wow.

It's not as broken as it sounds, they can't take hexes beyond the three hex radius of workable tiles for a city, and they cannot take completed wonders or districts.

spiritfox

I think it's still good to build Industrial districts everywhere just for base adjacency and workshop bonuses. Just need to have 1 or more districts as the major one to have factories and power plants around.

Then again, might be better to just spam Encampments or Aerodromes for their production bonuses.

Wow, that Viking DLC pack is getting destroyed in steam reviews. None of them comment on the content, but rather that they are upset it was one of the 4 slots for the Deluxe Edition.

They said the Deluxe edition would be map packs, scenarios, and Civs, guys! It was right there in front of you this whole time!

erragal

If anything the city states from that dlc are actually far more valuable and interesting than a single new civilization. Of the two it's the more mandatory purchase.

Maledict

Wow, that Viking DLC pack is getting destroyed in steam reviews. None of them comment on the content, but rather that they are upset it was one of the 4 slots for the Deluxe Edition.

They said the Deluxe edition would be map packs, scenarios, and Civs, guys! It was right there in front of you this whole time!

Previously you've had scenarios and map packs as part of a single dlc. No-one expected a single scenario to retail for $5.

And re the extra city states, willing to bet large amounts of money they go into the base game.

I think it's still good to build Industrial districts everywhere just for base adjacency and workshop bonuses. Just need to have 1 or more districts as the major one to have factories and power plants around.

Then again, might be better to just spam Encampments or Aerodromes for their production bonuses.

It's still generally much better to build Industrial Zones in most cases. Great Engineers tend to be much more valuable, and pure production beats out mixed bonuses. Encampments are still mostly for border defense, but at least they aren't a completely bum deal outside of it, now.

The nerf to civ-unique district population requirement is actually probably going to reduce city variety even more, overall. Commercial Hub and Industrial Zone are still basically required per-city before you can even imagine specialization, and now the number of Entertainment Districts you're going to need per empire has increased as well, so in optimal setups you're even less likely to see specialized districts outside of Campuses. At least Germany might fall off some perma-ban lists, though.

not all civs have a unique district, it was a pretty big advantage to get a free district.

It was a stupidly huge advantage for Germany. For a lot of the others, it was sort of mid-range (Russia and Brazil). I need to check if Russia in particular still gets "pop-free" Holy Sites (they mention it being "most" of the civ-unique ones that had the pop requirement added), because if not, man is that ability ever just straight into garbage-tier, now.

Maledict

It was a stupidly huge advantage for Germany. For a lot of the others, it was sort of mid-range (Russia and Brazil). I need to check if Russia in particular still gets "pop-free" Holy Sites (they mention it being "most" of the civ-unique ones that had the pop requirement added), because if not, man is that ability ever just straight into garbage-tier, now.

Yep, and for others it's what made them useful full stop. England is garbage tier now the the Royal dockyard counts as a normal district.

erragal

Previously you've had scenarios and map packs as part of a single dlc. No-one expected a single scenario to retail for $5.

And re the extra city states, willing to bet large amounts of money they go into the base game.

Well no need to bet any money since I can just pay 5$ and have them now? At some point they might end up in the base game (or bundled with an expansion) but they aren't there now. So evaluating the two dlc's and ignoring the most game changing facet of one seems disingenuous. As of today when making a value judgement of the two dlc, the Viking one offers more impact to more games of Civ VI.

Now perspective also matters. For someone like myself scenarios and map packs have zero value. I never purchased those dlc's ever. Now that they're tied to city states I am definitely going to buy them. Business wise they're betting individuals like myself will make up for the sales lost from people who are in the market for large amounts of scenarios/map packs but turned off by individually packaged game elements.

Note: this isn't a defense of the ethics/justification for this approach. This is the market as it stands for high budget games and they're being pushed to extract x amount of post release dollars in whatever fashion they can that results in the least amount of negative pushback.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Yep, and for others it's what made them useful full stop. England is garbage tier now the the Royal dockyard counts as a normal district.

Why do they like to kill my 2 favorite civs :( (England and US). How am I suppose to have nationalistic pride if they keep gimping them!

Any verdict on whether the newest patch "fixes" AI? The one reason I held off buying at release were impressions that the computer players' brain-dead decisions at times ruined the challenge and immersion.

Any verdict on whether the newest patch "fixes" AI? The one reason I held off buying at release were impressions that the computer players' brain-dead decisions at times ruined the challenge and immersion.

I'm messing around with it a little bit. I can more happily report that the crash bug fixes are real (including making playable a few saves I had that would auto-crash on Next Turn because of something happening in the background), but it seems like the AI is at least somewhat more consistent, if still guided by fundamentally stupid principles in some cases due to questionable decisions with regards to agendas.

I really need to impose some more promises on the AI and see if they're more dependable now, as that's probably my main pet peeve. I can confirm they still declare pointless surprise wars and then do nothing, but I guess with the War Weariness penalties you can almost argue that's a legitimate strategy, now?

I'm quite happy that the most recent update fixed my CTD on next turn issues, even on my old games!

The bad news: My traders have decided to take suspicious "business trips" to Mumbai lol:
sLF5xDT.jpg

Maledict

read the last couple pages of this thread...so it seems like i shouldn't buy this game, i got it right?

I would advise against it simply because it's an unfinished product that needs a lot of work. The base is there for a good game, but the AI is the worse it's ever been in a civ game and there are balance issues out the wazoo.

Majukun

basically this

I would advise against it simply because it's an unfinished product that needs a lot of work. The base is there for a good game, but the AI is the worse it's ever been in a civ game and there are balance issues out the wazoo.

i mainly play against the cpu,and i got frustrated a lot on civ V because of the nonsensical AI, especially regarding warmongering.
the game can be good but if the AI doesn't work it doesn't seem that fun to play

Grug

It's really just the people who are salty about the new art style. ;)

I actually like the new art style. I simply feel however that the AI is really poor. Doesn't matter how differently I approach a game, it generally feels like it quickly devolves into a very formulaic path every single time.

I really like some of the new approaches they are taking with districts and civics, but it's all for naught if the AI can't change things up and give us gameplay scenarios that bring it all to bear.

I put about 80 hours in but havent touched it in weeks. I'm just going to sit on it until 2-3 more patches come out.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I actually like the new art style. I simply feel however that the AI is really poor. Doesn't matter how differently I approach a game, it generally feels like it quickly devolves into a very formulaic path every single time.

After a few rounds with Civ 6 I have to agree, the AI is it's largest weak point right now. I'm still enjoying the game greatly though, the meat of it is fantastic, but it is going to be much, much better after some patches and an expansion or two, like always. I do feel it's the best vanilla Civ game out of the gates though, so I'm not upset at all with my purchase. It's still fun and addicting as hell to me, but the AI is pretty stupid, LOL.

Lagamorph

Amazon are selling the Digital Deluxe version for £49.99, and I have £6 of Amazon credit so it'd be £44

To bite or not to bite

Oh boy, am I not good at Civ 6. I truly don't understand the AI of opposing Civilizations and I've never had barbarians be so frustrating in a Civ game. I really really want to like this game, but I don't know if I can given how much feels off about it. How do I have a friendly relationship with Germany and then suddenly have war declared on me? Why does the Kongo care enough about my slow spread of religion and deem that as a reason to start a war and then immediately offer to make peace? I just don't get it

Oh boy, am I not good at Civ 6. I truly don't understand the AI of opposing Civilizations and I've never had barbarians be so frustrating in a Civ game. I really really want to like this game, but I don't know if I can given how much feels off about it. How do I have a friendly relationship with Germany and then suddenly have war declared on me? Why does the Kongo care enough about my slow spread of religion and deem that as a reason to start a war and then immediately offer to make peace? I just don't get it

I take into account the other Civ's objective, never. From my time playing, it seems the best strategy is just early war with anyone near you. Maybe make one settler, churn out units with half cost ancient/classic melee and take over everything. The lack of city bombard from the get-go makes this way out of balance. AI is so dumb, they'll charge 5 warriors into embedded and garrisoned archers. Meanwhile, I'm cranking out more units and counter-attack and the AI has nothing left to defend and no way to hit me because no city-bombard.

Formula seems to be, WORKER/SLINGER/SETTLER/ARCHER/ARCHER/Best melee unit available(or unique unit). If you're playing as Pericles, pumping out some early scouts would be wise but for everyone else not so much and just stick with the formula listed here.

I take into account the other Civ's objective, never. From my time playing, it seems the best strategy is just early war with anyone near you. Maybe make one settler, churn out units with half cost ancient/classic melee and take over everything. The lack of city bombard from the get-go makes this way out of balance. AI is so dumb, they'll charge 5 warriors into embedded and garrisoned archers. Meanwhile, I'm cranking out more units and counter-attack and the AI has nothing left to defend and no way to hit me because no city-bombard.

Formula seems to be, WORKER/SLINGER/SETTLER/ARCHER/ARCHER/Best melee unit available(or unique unit). If you're playing as Pericles, pumping out some early scouts would be wise but for everyone else not so much and just stick with the formula listed here.

That's just not the way I like to play Civ games, unfortunately. I've learned how OP archers are until the the later eras and act appropriately. I just want to crank out some culture and religion and make friends with everybody! Wanna come watch some stuff at my amphitheater? Perfect! Maybe get learned at one of my libraries? You're all invited! Wanna start a war? No thank you. I sent you delegation and made a trade route with you! I even sent some archers to help defend your city! And you repay me with a war and the total change of everything my civilization is striving for just to defend itself? You, sir/madam, are a dick. Also, your city design is shit.

Let me spread the word of [INSERT RELIGON HERE] and enlighten you all!

It should also be noted, I appreciate the advice and it has certainly been noted.

Xyber

Seeing a lot of complaints here about the price for the DLC, which makes me really glad I seemed to have gotten the game for free. Some of you might remember the price error on Black Friday where the Deluxe edition was 15 bucks or whatever, the day after they sent everyone who bought it an email saying that the keys would be revoked and everyone got their money back.

A few days later I received my refund but the game is still in my library, so as of now I got it for free. \o/

That's just not the way I like to play Civ games, unfortunately. I've learned how OP archers are until the the later eras and act appropriately. I just want to crank out some culture and religion and make friends with everybody! Wanna come watch some stuff at my amphitheater? Perfect! Maybe get learned at one of my libraries? You're all invited! Wanna start a war? No thank you. I sent you delegation and made a trade route with you! I even sent some archers to help defend your city! And you repay me with a war and the total change of everything my civilization is striving for just to defend itself? You, sir/madam, are a dick. Also, your city design is shit.

Let me spread the word of [INSERT RELIGON HERE] and enlighten you all!

It should also be noted, I appreciate the advice and it has certainly been noted.

I totally agree. I like building shit and spreading religion too. I barely went to war in Civ V. Civ VI at the moment forces one to go to war however. That's why I'm not enjoying this game too much. Civ V was an utter mess at first too, and this is better than that(actually playable) so hopefully it improves in a year or two.

This is where happiness played a factor. Take over a bunch of cities in V...you'd be unhappy. Now, take over a bunch of cities and you're getting a crap ton more luxuries you didn't have and you're "happier" or not worse off at all in any regard. Diplomacy is really fucking stupid though. Oh, I take your city that you agree to CEDE, yet 5 turns later you think I occupy one of your cities. YOU FUCKING CEDED IT! Cede definition: give up (power or territory). Yeah, it's not your city dude. It's mine.

This series needs smarter AI. Higher levels should be smarter AI and that's it(do away with the improved computer starting stats/units). This series has nowhere to go if the AI doesn't improve.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

why single out pericles

The barbarian problems aren't you, Civ 6 legit has the most psychotic and assholish barbarians a Civ game has ever had, even when the camps aren't breaking and churning out a horse unit a turn for six turns straight. They've gotten slightly more manageable since the most recent patch (and no longer seem to completely cripple AI empires as often as a result), but they're still nutty.

AI diplomacy just doesn't work great. A lot of the hidden agendas are simply unreasonable and not even worth trying to stay abreast of. You are not going to keep an AI who gets into a tizzy every time you or them change governments happy. You're never going to keep Brazil happy unless you're just horribly losing the game. Honestly, the best advice I can give is to do a quick assessment of your situation and decide which of your neighbors are just gonna have to go and make peace with their eventual doom.

That will have a lot to do with hidden agendas, but some you can just go ahead and mark off from the outset. Are you looking to have a religion? Phillip's gotta go. Are you playing Kongo? Yeah, just go ahead and book Pedro for a 5 o'clock murder appointment. Actually like interfacing with the city-state mechanics? Pericles and Frederick have their days numbered.

That doesn't mean the other AI won't also screw you over, just that you at least have a halfway reasonable chance of meaningful diplomacy with them, whereas you're just not going to get along with some of them ever. (I'm talking about Pedro. Murder Pedro. Always murder Pedro.)

why single out pericles

Meeting as many city-states as possible is key for Pericles as he gets 5% culture for each Suzerain bonus. While city states are important to all Civs for bonuses...it's not necessary to stray from the script just to meet some city states while with Pericles I think it is important.

I started another game today, using the same script I think works... worker/slinger/settler/archer/archer(archers 50% off of course)...managed to get in Stonehenge in replace of Settler on Emperor. Made a second city eventually. Pumped out a bunch of units as Egypt, took down China and its 4 cities(still a 5th one to get).

Anteo

lmao I just had a game where I spawn near Montezuma, and even though I was going straight for military units he still surrounded my city with 3 eagle warriors and took it before I got enough units to fight back

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Meeting as many city-states as possible is key for Pericles as he gets 5% culture for each Suzerain bonus. While city states are important to all Civs for bonuses...it's not necessary to stray from the script just to meet some city states while with Pericles I think it is important.

I started another game today, using the same script I think works... worker/slinger/settler/archer/archer(archers 50% off of course)...managed to get in Stonehenge in replace of Settler on Emperor. Made a second city eventually. Pumped out a bunch of units as Egypt, took down China and its 4 cities(still a 5th one to get).

ahh right, I always forgot his CS bonus, I only remember the Wildcard policy

Top Bottom