• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CIVILIZATION VI |OT| He's Got the Whole World in His Hands

Grug

Will the Workshop stuff give moders access to the AI systems?

If so, I have more faith in the community to get this shit sorted sooner than Firaxis.

Pixieking

Banned
I was curious about this, so I went looking. This was last updated for the winter patch:

https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/ai.25439/

For those who can't be bothered reading the Civ Fanatics discussions (I couldn't be arsed until a few minutes ago :p )...

AI+Mod Author said:
So, I did a bit of testing. Compatibility wise it seems fine in the sense that there's no crashes and no other big noticeable compatibility issues except for the new air units behavior being overwritten by Ai+ v9.

However, it seems that the vanilla AI is actually quite a bit stronger than it used to be. To a degree where I think just playing with the vanilla AI for now is a good idea. On my end I may have to rebuild this mod from the ground up, as it seems some of my changes may no longer be necessary / actually cause it to be a bit worse in some areas. I'll have to figure out which of my changes are actually still improvements, and whether there are new things to improve on. That might take me quite a bit of time since testing is so extremely slow (is it just me or did it actually get slower?)

Pixieking

Banned
Yeah, I read that over a couple of times. Contrary to the mod author's note, there, I think I'll install it. It's either that or reinstall Civ V, but it doesn't sound like the mod breaks much (just aircraft, I think it is).

Dylan

Was feeling depressed about Civ VI, bought Endless Legend, my settler died within the first 5 turns, and then the game kept going and I didn't know what I was doing. Hmm.

Bregor

Was feeling depressed about Civ VI, bought Endless Legend, my settler died within the first 5 turns, and then the game kept going and I didn't know what I was doing. Hmm.

Endless Legend is an excellent game, but some of the mechanics differ substantially from what you might be familiar with in Civ. I don't feel EL is flawless, far from it, but it's definitely worth your time (especially as you already own it).

IMO, Civ 6 isn't as bad as some people are portraying it, certainly I am still having a great deal of fun with it.

Maledict

Endless Legend is an excellent game, but some of the mechanics differ substantially from what you might be familiar with in Civ. I don't feel EL is flawless, far from it, but it's definitely worth your time (especially as you already own it).

IMO, Civ 6 isn't as bad as some people are portraying it, certainly I am still having a great deal of fun with it.

I just don't see how. I really wish I could have fun with it. I swallowed my initial dislike of the graphics from reveal and grown to appreciate them, I like the district mechanics and the focus on geography, but I cannot get over the fact that there is literally no challenge here. I know that any challenge is just me fooling myself because the AI is so completely disfunctional.

I mean, I'm definitely a builder type of player, but even I need some working opposition at some points! ;-)

Dylan

I don't think Civ 6 is terrible by any stretch, but the thing that keeps me away from it currently is I know the end-game tends to be a real bore, so if I start a new game I always feel like I'm just investing into low-returns. The feeling is magnified by the fact that Civ 5's end-game was so fucking good. I've had so many games where everything came together so perfectly at the end-game of Civ 5, where I was either desperately racing to acquire enough UN votes, or to build the spaceship parts, as the other superpowers were unleashing nukes on my major cities. Very often it came down to only a few turns and sheer luck.

In Civ 6, I feel like things tend to be pretty set 3/4's of the way through a game, to the point where I don't even feel like finishing by then. Granted I've put nowhere near as many hours into Civ 6, but I find myself lacking the motivation to do it.

As for EL, yes I definitely plan on giving it another go. I didn't bother with the tutorial but I suppose I should!

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I don't think Civ 6 is terrible by any stretch, but the thing that keeps me away from it currently is I know the end-game tends to be a real bore, so if I start a new game I always feel like I'm just investing into low-returns. The feeling is magnified by the fact that Civ 5's end-game was so fucking good. I've had so many games where everything came together so perfectly at the end-game of Civ 5, where I was either desperately racing to acquire enough UN votes, or to build the spaceship parts, as the other superpowers were unleashing nukes on my major cities. Very often it came down to only a few turns and sheer luck.

In Civ 6, I feel like things tend to be pretty set 3/4's of the way through a game, to the point where I don't even feel like finishing by then. Granted I've put nowhere near as many hours into Civ 6, but I find myself lacking the motivation to do it.

This sums up my feelings too. I like Civ 6, it is the most promising Civ game I've ever played, but it needs some more work in certain areas to fulfill that potential.

I still play now and then, but it's not very challenging as it is right now.

Grug

I don't think Civ 6 is terrible by any stretch, but the thing that keeps me away from it currently is I know the end-game tends to be a real bore, so if I start a new game I always feel like I'm just investing into low-returns. The feeling is magnified by the fact that Civ 5's end-game was so fucking good. I've had so many games where everything came together so perfectly at the end-game of Civ 5, where I was either desperately racing to acquire enough UN votes, or to build the spaceship parts, as the other superpowers were unleashing nukes on my major complaint s. Very often it came down to only a few turns and sheer luck.

As for EL, yes I definitely plan on giving it another go. I didn't bother with the tutorial but I suppose I should!

Yeah, this pretty much.

I'm just treating it like Early Access. Enjoying reading about it but won't reinstall for probably half a year when things start to come together.

The Devs just put up the video for Persia. +1 trade route, bonus for internal trading, tile improvement that buffs surrounding tiles, ranged swordsmen and speed bonus on the turn they declare surprise wars. They seem fine, but they are not really inspiring me to jump back into the game like Australia did.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
The Devs just put up the video for Persia. +1 trade route, bonus for internal trading, tile improvement that buffs surrounding tiles, ranged swordsmen and speed bonus on the turn they declare surprise wars. They seem fine, but they are not really inspiring me to jump back into the game like Australia did.

the final pack sis a double civ whammy, and apparently
macedonia
is the other one according to some file searching

Sibylus

Banned
http://steamcommunity.com/games/289070/announcements/detail/562228356583764249

The ‘Spring 2017’ update for Civilization VI will be coming this week to PC and coming soon for Mac and Linux.

This update will include a number of balance changes, AI adjustments, multiplayer changes, and bug fixes.

The Harbor balance change, included in this patch, will bring the strength of the various districts in line with each other. In addition, there will now be added nuances to the warmonger penalties so they only hit with their full strength if you are truly wresting valuable cities from your opponents.

A complete list of changes in the ‘Spring 2017’ Update is below:

[BALANCE CHANGES]

• [*]Harbors now give a major adjacency bonus with the City Center, +1 Food to all Coast tiles when the Lighthouse is built, and +2 Gold to all Coast tiles when the Seaport is built.
  • Australia now gets +1 for Charming/+3 for Breathtaking on the four affected districts (had been +2/+4) to compensate for the Harbor boost above
    [*]Royal Navy Dockyard now always provides +1 Trade Route capacity, even if the city already has a Commercial Hub. This makes it more useful, even when England builds it on its home continent.
  • Added “Future Civic” to the end of the Civics Tree, a repeatable Civic to research and add to the player score.
  • Bomber units are now more effective against cities.
  • Swordsman are now reduced to 36 combat strength.
  • Damages now remain on City and Encampments when a city is traded.
    [*]Siege units with bonus movement (e.g. from Great Generals or Persian surprise war) can still shoot after moving as long as they still have 2 MP.
    [*]Adjusted Warmonger penalties for Diplomatic status:
  • When applying a warmonger diplomatic penalty for EITHER declaring war or capturing a city, reduce that penalty if you are enemies with the target of that warmongering as follows:
  • -20% warmongering if this is against a player you have denounced
  • -40% warmongering if this is against a player you are at war with
  • NOTE: This is not used in situations where you are fighting a Joint War against the target power or when Sumeria joins as ally in war (in both those cases the penalty is still zero).
  • EXAMPLE: Macedon is at war with Persia. If India goes to war with Persia sometime in the middle of this Macedonian/Persian War and captures a Persian city, Macedon will reduce its warmonger penalty against India by 40%.
  • Adjusted Warmonger penalties for City Population:
  • When applying a warmonger diplomatic penalty for capturing a city, reduce that penalty if the city is smaller than the average city in the game as follows:
  • If the city’s population after conquest is below the average population of all the cities in the game, reduce the warmonger penalty by the percentage that city’s population is below the average.
  • EXAMPLE: Persepolis is conquered and its population after conquest is 6. But the average size of a city in the game is 8. So this city is 2 / 8 = 25% below the size of the average city in the game. Therefore the warmonger penalty is reduced by 25%.
[AI TUNING]

• [*]Improved coordination for multiple attacking units.
    [*]Ranged units better understand how to capture civilian units.
  • AI should now generally accept embassies when neutral, and reject when unfriendly.
  • When asking an AI to equalize a deal that has elements on both sides of the deal, it will consider a gold-only change before looking at other possibilities.
    [*]Increased AI’s desire to repair pillaged Districts and Buildings.
  • Minor civs will no longer go after policies that give them extra influence they can never use.
  • Made it easier to meet the positive side of the environmentalist agenda
    [*]AI will now build multiple Neighborhoods.

[BUG FIXES]

• [*]The Great Works tooltip in the deal now shows extended information.
    [*]Melee units can no longer attack embarked units.
  • Pillaged improvements no longer provide Pantheon bonuses.
    [*]Fixed double-counting of Appeal from Improvements.
  • Fixed broken gossip message about Seaside Resorts that made them always mention a "lost city".
  • John Curtin is now referred to as “Prime Minister” and not “President” in the Outback Tycoon scenario.
  • Fixed an issue where previously constructed buildings were not showing up properly on the Production Chooser.
  • The World Tracker now keeps its open/closed state between turns.
  • Additional bug fixes.

[MULTIPLAYER]
  • Updating Global Thermonuclear War scenario's Proxy War victory condition to support team play.
    [*]Expanded internet games list to show results from additional regions
    [*]Games list was frequently not showing all available games due to UI bug.

[MISC]
  • Added more civs to the True Start Location Earth map.
    [*]Separated war/peace notifications into major civs vs. city-state.
  • Added additional information to Defeat/Victory screens, so players will be clearer on why they have lost the game.
    [*]Added "special ability" stars to techs and civics that unlock new functionality.
  • Added invasion warnings to Poland scenario
  • Added new Capabilities data base table to disable select game systems for scenarios and mods.
  • ARX functionality updates for scenarios.
  • Added text labels differentiating Official and Community content in the Lobby screen.

[ADDITONAL CONTENT]

In Game
  • Fixed issues in the Additional Content menu with mods that contained very long strings.
  • The "ImportFiles" modding action now works as a Frontend action.
  • The "UpdateIcons" action now supports SQL files in addition to XML files.
  • Multiple files can now be specified in the "AddGameplayScripts" Ingame action.
  • Added a "DoNothing" Frontend action and Ingame action. This action is useful as a placeholder or as a container that includes other actions.
  • The localization database is now written out to the cache folder.
Development Tools
  • The SDK launcher will now close after the user has clicked on an application to launch.
  • ModBuddy will no longer display a 'Parameter "escapedValue" cannot be null.' error when the Development Assets are not installed.
  • Added SQL syntax coloring to ModBuddy.

Dylan

Sid Meier putting some work in. Nice to see these improvements. Keep 'em coming Firaxis.

p.s. does anyone know how Civ VI sold?

Pagusas

Elden Member
Hell yeah, my naval empire will be even more dominant. England may move up a tier with these updates (Though I really dont care, England is my favorite civ to play, no matter how gimped they make her)

Seriously the AI still cant win against a navy, ever.

Sid Meier putting some work in. Nice to see these improvements. Keep 'em coming Firaxis.

p.s. does anyone know how Civ VI sold?

Steam spy has it at 1.75 million. That seems pretty good considering I don't think it's gone below about $40. It'll need a lot of legs to reach Civ5's 10million though.

Hell yeah, my naval empire will be even more dominant. England may move up a tier with these updates

I think that is very likely. Once they get established in the mid to late game they are effectively going to have +1 trade route per city. Which even saying that sounds terrifying.

Maledict

It's at some point this week apparently, so not long.

Finally going to be able to lay England without feeling like I'm playing a broken Civ, yay!

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I'm curious to see just how much better the AI will be. Guess I'll be playing tonight!!!

Sibylus

Banned
Hojo took a run at my capital. He knocked down my encampment and city walls with a catapult before I managed to repulse him and launch a counterattack. I'd say a definite improvement to priorities so far.

grmlin

So I thought it would be a good idea to look into the game again after the latest patches, but it won't start anymore.

I tried to open it in steam or by opening the exe file directly, but it's then stuck in an endless loop with that little "Steam starts Civ 6" window. The window pops up, closes, pops up, closes...

I already reinstalled the game. Any other ideas?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So I thought it would be a good idea to look into the game again after the latest patches, but it won't start anymore.

I tried to open it in steam or by opening the exe file directly, but it's then stuck in an endless loop with that little "Steam starts Civ 6" window. The window pops up, closes, pops up, closes...

I already reinstalled the game. Any other ideas?

Hmm that's weird, game ran fine on my end. Seems more like a client problem too.

Patch introduced lag that's seemingly related to Barbarians for me. Freezes at the end of turns even in early game (can sometimes pan normally but all activity basically stops for a minute). Disabling Barbarians fixes it.

Maledict

The new patch may actually have improved the games AI. Just had Norway take my capitol in turn 36 in an emperor level game. My own fault (I had troops, just had them out exploring) - I'm so used to not needing to defend, I didn't keep them at home.

Sibylus

Banned
The new patch may actually have improved the games AI. Just had Norway take my capitol in turn 36 in an emperor level game. My own fault (I had troops, just had them out exploring) - I'm so used to not needing to defend, I didn't keep them at home.

Very nearly had the same done to me―wasn't expecting the singleminded rush and the siege weapons being as efficient with their moves as they were. Had units on hand so I managed to survive. AI tried the rush a second time after the war's start, but wasn't near as successful.

spiritfox

http://steamcommunity.com/games/289070/announcements/detail/1295192364625991814

2K and Firaxis are excited to announce the inclusion of all-new content for the Civilization VI Digital Deluxe edition, enhancing its value to deliver both strong savings and countless turns for fans of the award-winning Sid Meier’s Civilization franchise.

It’s important to us that wherever Civilization fans live around the world, that the Digital Deluxe edition provides a great value. We saw that prices with certain currencies didn’t live up to the savings we’re looking to deliver, and so we are excited to offer this new content at no additional charge to those who purchase, or already own, the Civilization VI Digital Deluxe edition.

In the coming months, we’ll be releasing two additional Civilization & Scenario Packs for Civilization VI that will introduce three new leaders representing civilizations from Africa and Southeast Asia. This content will appear automatically for purchasers of the Civilization VI Digital Deluxe edition upon release.

Seems like a solid move. I can't remember the exact numbers now but after the 4th dlc launched I did the maths and in the uk market at least the saving you got from from buying the deluxe edition compared to buying regular edition plus all dlc was insultingly low.

Also good to see more potential African nations. Their continent seems a little left out in the current Euro heavy civ list.

Sibylus

Banned
Hoping we get to see more women leaders. Firaxis has done a bang-up job so far with them, and I gotta say I appreciate having a lot of strong ladies on the cast who don't much resemble each other!

Megasoum

Banned
Anybody knows why the games uses it's own cloud service instead of Steams cloud?

2K servers are blocked at work but Steam's work just fine... Basically I don't have cloud save support because of their decision and this is pissing me off.

Top Bottom