• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CIVILIZATION VI |OT| He's Got the Whole World in His Hands

I'm happy to play this on my PC (tonight, 9pm!!) but I really wish it was Mac compatible. I'm about to go visit the in-laws in November and again in December and this is the perfect game to low-res on a plane or while trying best to be ignored. Looks like another Thanksgiving and christmas full of Hearthstone.

slabrock

Banned
tfosexD.png

yep :(

I haven't even gotten that. I still have delivery date pending ;(

Anno

Hmmm, not able to get in through VPN. I've never had a problem in the past. Wonder what I'm doing wrong...

BashNasty

So how approachable is this game vs Civ 5? I have a rudimentary understanding of how to play that game.

My initial impressions are that it's a fair bit more complex than Civ V right off the bat. There's a lot to do here.

That said, I also think the interface is really, really good. Even if you don't know exactly what you're doing right off the bat, nothing in the interface is gonna fight you from doing it.

epmode

Playing at 4k with UI upscaling turned on and its still a little too small IMO.

At least you get the option. UI upscaling is automatically disabled at 1440p.

I don't understand how they think the size is acceptable at 1440p, especially compared to 5.

How did that happen? I listened to the very start of it, went off to a meeting and when I came back he was starting a second game lol.

He took out the first camp to the east just fine but like 4 units spawned from the south. He was quite impatient and lost a slinger stupidly by attacking rather than healing. He met Kongo who were pissed off most likely because he didn't spread any religion to them(their agenda) most likely. He kinda pissed off America by not apologizing for settling his second city. Instead he said "I'll settle where I please."

A few different poor decisions. Looks like Kongo is not to be messed with. Get them a religion ASAP.

Fledz

Guys it's 10 past midnight and I'm scared to launch it. Could lose my entire night here and it's a work day tomorrow. Oh god, here we go...

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Streamers are easier to manipulate than journalists with an ethic code (though gaming journalism is quite a jungle)

To be honest, I'd rather see streamers play the game live as that is more representative of the actual experience and it is much easier to ascertain the streamer's biases and preferences.

Blizzard

Banned
Was showing 5 hours until unlocked, now it shows 17h, why? D:
Yeeeep, they moved it to a noon Friday release at the last moment. What a massive jerk move with 20,000 people already playing to reward those who didn't VPN unlock it early. :(

*edit* Fledz is saying it's a bug? I haven't seen that before but that would be nice.

epmode

GAF, I'm so disappointed by the lack of UI scaling at 1440p. Aside from the whole UI feeling smaller than it should, some of the onscreen text is only a few pixels high!

Yeeeep, they moved it to a noon Friday release at the last moment. What a massive jerk move with 20,000 people already playing to reward those who didn't VPN unlock it early. :(

You can still do it. VPN unlocking is really easy and doesn't take long at all.

munroe

UK here, just unlocked and unpacked. Has anyone had any problems with the resolution, I'm playing on a dell XPS 15 which has a ridiculously high resolution so I'd like to lower it, however when I do, even though full screen option is still selected, it only occupies portion of the screen, any ideas?

Fledz

*edit* Fledz is saying it's a bug? I haven't seen that before but that would be nice.

Oh did they actually move it? Where does it say that?

Mine is still stuck on the MS VC first time launch thing. God damn it.

Fledz

I can't launch. It says to my friends that I'm playing but the game never even gets away from Steam. Fucks sake. It's like a hard crash to desktop without even so much as a flicker.

Dommel

Wow, my first real game was already kinda amazing (and still going but it's bedtime now, been playing for like 7 hours straight).

Survived three war declarations from Spain & Aztec, made an Alliance with China which made them back off finally. Lots of back and forth but no-one was able to actually take-over cities.

Walls + City ranged attacks seem a little bit overpowered at the moment. I was able to fend off a lot of attacking units by just shooting from my city and my encampment district.

Nzyme32

Had a quick mess around with mine for what little time I have, I can quickly answer anything setting related. So far:

- Runs wonderfully, quick loading times unlike Civ V
- Despite having a GTX 1060, the settings are automatically on medium. No problems at Ultra
- Built in benchmarking tool is a bit of surprise but very welcome regardless
- Tutorial exists in its own little mode, where you choose between Cleopatra or Gilgamesh, has it's own quick little intro too which was also a great surprise. It is also much more linear and from first principles. Seems like a nice refresher too.

crazyprac

Alright starting my new game after last one just crash, didn't save cause it's just initial get the feels mode.

Gripes:
Barbarians still have high spawn rares/aggression
Still behind in tech
Still don't like missing unit actions from civ 5 :(

Pros:
Ui is much much easier to navigate after getting used to it
I love the new implementation of districts, adds a new level of building management
Haven't had war declared on me, even with me being overly indiscreet with city locations and being an ass on trades.
The new city state system for envoys is neat
Fog of war implementation is great
I like how units on auto explore stop when there's an event like danger or tribes letting u control how u want to approach it.

Blizzard

Banned
Maybe there will be a mod to tone down barbarians. They were freaking annoying for like 1000+ years in Civ V to me, even with the Honor tree.

dude

dude
OK, initial impression from the game is super positive for me. I don't especially like how much many things have adjacency requirements, but I'm sure it'll be fine once I memorize the individual requirements.

Playing with the Scythians, they're pretty awesome!

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
OK, initial impression from the game is super positive for me.

Same here. I've played for two hours so far as the Americans on a small map on Cheiftain level. Yeah thats right, Chieftain! I want to experiment and learn the game before ramping up the difficulty. So far I'm loving it, ALL of it. The music is great, the UI is good (I might say that Civ5's was more pleasing to the eye, might just need to adjust), and so far it's just fantastic IMHO. Having a blast.

Gonna be a very late night....

Sibylus

Banned
High barb spawns and aggression is a good thing generally speaking, for no other reason than to provide combat for peaceful players and other avenues for combat that don't involve slugging your neighbor.

Blizzard

Banned
High barb spawns and aggression is a good thing generally speaking, for no other reason than to provide combat for peaceful players and other avenues for combat that don't involve slugging your neighbor.
That's the thing though, I don't WANT to have to build a bunch of military units or do combat in some games, let alone most games. I'd rather one game involve slugging barbarians, another involve building culture, another involve building science, etc.

Sibylus

Banned
That's the thing though, I don't WANT to have to build a bunch of military units or do combat in some games, let alone most games. I'd rather one game involve slugging barbarians, another involve building culture, another involve building science, etc.

A mod for a "barbarian seed" could fit your bill?

Anno

I'm pretty sure you can turn them off in advanced setup if you want to be more peaceful from the start.

MoonFrog

How are the maps looking in terms of geography? Are there culturally linked starts? A world builder? Map regenerate?

Just got up from a nap to prepare for tonight, but still 3 hours and 20 minutes to go :p.

Blizzard

Banned
How are the maps looking in terms of geography? Are there culturally linked starts? A world builder? Map regenerate?

Just got up from a nap to prepare for tonight, but still 3 hours and 20 minutes to go :p.
I read in the thread there is no map reroll button, sadly.

I'm pretty sure you can turn them off in advanced setup if you want to be more peaceful from the start.
It was a running joke in Civ V multiplayer games with 3-5 humans that every time, we would say "You made sure to turn raging barbarians off, right?" And every time, the host would swear he turned them off. And almost every time, barbarian camps would endlessly spawn and harass for about 1000 years until every scrap of land was covered.

Top Bottom