• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CLANNAD Official English Release Kickstarter (Funded | Stretch goals announced)

Ventara

And for those unaware, the three stretch goals discussed are:

Ports
HD assets
Extra scenarios from the ps3/vita version

My bet is that they managed to cover for the HD assets and extra scenarios, no ports just yet.

If those are the three, I'd agree that those two are the most likely ones, since they sound like the cheaper stretch goals.

I really hope we get that Vita port. There's just something about playing a VN on a Vita that makes the whole experience so much more comfortable and enjoyable.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
In a similar(ish) way to Gaijinworks, I wonder if a poll could work? Like if people would buy a physical Vita copy for x amount (whichever price point that would be viable to manufacture at that price).

Sorry, I'm just hooked on the physical Vita bit :x Especially since one does exist in Japan, and the funding it good (and continues to grow).

Shizuka

I don't know if it'd work. Even if you add all the physical PC copies they're doing so far, it's less than 2k, which for itself is a short amount. I wonder if a Vita run would do much more than that.

Ventara

Yeah, I'm doubtful a minimum number would be reached if that kind of thing was possible. Maybe if they partnered up with someone like NISA, but that seems unlikely at this stage.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know if it'd work. Even if you add all the physical PC copies they're doing so far, it's less than 2k, which for itself is a short amount. I wonder if a Vita run would do much more than that.

I think more might wander in, as it would cover another consumer base. I've seen enough anti-PC gamers around online, not to mention promises of people bumping up their pledges ALOT if a Vita copy of any kind happens.

I'm just being optimistic :x

Shizuka

Yeah, I'm doubtful a minimum number would be reached if that kind of thing was possible. Maybe if they partnered up with someone like NISA, but that seems unlikely at this stage.

If indie games like Retro City Rampage and Teslagrad are making physical PS4 and Vita (the latter only) prints, I'm sure Sekai Project could do it. Teslagrad's developers are partering with SOEDESCO Benelux for the retail print, I just don't think it'd be a focus for Sekai Project right now, since they're handling so many games and Kickstarters at the same time.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
380k will be easy-peasy :p Well, since the side story is a separate package, guess I want that, and I'll need to get that manga too...

Ventara

Lame. No Vita support sucks, and I thought 2 of the stretch goals were already covered? Not to mention that regardless of whether the 2nd goal is met or not, you still have to add $25/$30 to have them added? Kinda stupid.

Anyways, if the manga goal is met, I might throw in an extra $15 for it, but that's probably it for me.

I'm gonna be adding a bunch to my backing near the end of the kickstarter. I need to make sure I have enough money for any early birds in the grisaia kickstarter. Then im gonna blow whatever I save up in between now and the last few days of clannad ks :)

The side stories will be ported to PC for the first time. That explains the goal cost. Glad we made HD assets already tho

JNA

Banned
No Vita port stretch goal means no backing from me. That really sucks to hear. It's a shame too because the number of backers would have practically doubled if we heard of a vita port goal.

I'll still keep tabs for a bit still but what a missed opportunity. :(

gretos

Neo Member
Disappointed with the stretch goals :/

I'll get my PC physical copy regardless but I'll still hope they'll re-consider for a handheld port in the future.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
The side stories will be ported to PC for the first time. That explains the goal cost. Glad we made HD assets already tho

I wish more people realized this... Been seeing a lot of comments on how expensive it is. Can't be cheap to MAKE a new port, rather than just translate an already existing product.

I wish more people realized this... Been seeing a lot of comments on how expensive it is. Can't be cheap to MAKE a new port, rather than just translate an already existing product.

They have to license work from an outside company and license more voice acting in addition to the port work. The cost shouldn't be surprising.

Nosgoroth

I originally backed hoping for a portable port, so now I have to decide if I want to keep my pledge.

I suppose I do, but this sucks.

I'm one of the biggest vita fans around and yes it sucks vita port isn't an option. But for how small SP is and how massive an under taking retranslating this game and putting out an HD asset PC version is, it is reasonable that key doesn't want to pile a Vita port on top of everything.

Its not the end of the world to have this game come out and then we get the vita version afterwards. I mean, that's how it happened and Japan :p SP is well aware of how big vita VN demand is and if this release goes smoothly, key will definitely say okay to more SP requests

Chariot

No Vita port? Whwt a bummer, I stay comfortable on my digital early bird pledge. No need to upgrade then. Really sad that somebody would veto the Vita.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Wow, those are probably the worst stretch goals I've seen on a Kickstarter. Stretch goals are not for add-ons and things that don't benefit any tier at all. Going to just remove my pledge entirely now.

Shizuka

It is weird that one of the stretch goal isn't a stretch goal, given you need to add $25 to your pledge to get it. Stretch goals should be something that would benefit the main project, not a side project stuffed into the current deal.

It is weird that one of the stretch goal isn't a stretch goal, given you need to add $25 to your pledge to get it. Stretch goals should be something that would benefit the main project, not a side project stuffed into the current deal.

Both the side stories and the manga are side projects. The manga costs $12/$15.

Wow, those are probably the worst stretch goals I've seen on a Kickstarter. Stretch goals are not for add-ons and things that don't benefit any tier at all. Going to just remove my pledge entirely now.

Really? Whatever you pledged was worth it to you before, but because they didn't give you as much free stuff as you wanted, you're canceling your pledge?

Not a fan of their translations.

What translations? Even were there much to base this on, they don't even use the same translators for every project.

It's a localization, they are limited in what they can do.

bobawesome

Disappointing to hear that the Vita port is not an option at the moment but I'm not willing to abandon them because of it.

bobawesome

image.php

Breh... I'm somewhat excited for it but there's no comparison here.

edit: In the sense that it's a minor salve, I mean.

Andrefpvs

The "connection" or "comparison" is that it's a PC visual novel that's being ported to consoles.

Sorry, I should have made it more obvious. I too am bummed that CLANNAD for Vita isn't happening (._.)

Shizuka

It'll be one of those cases where people will just settle with the PC version and Sekai Project will take that there is no demand left for a Vita version after the PC release.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
It'll be one of those cases where people will just settle with the PC version and Sekai Project will take that there is no demand left for a Vita version after the PC release.

I doubt it. People have made it clear about the Vita version. They said it was all on Key's end too (so once again it's on the side of the Japanese company that is umming and ahhing about it).

Sekai Project

Neo Member
It's a difficult situation when it comes down to ports. There are things that I would love to talk about but cannot due to NDAs.

At the very least Grisaia will have a Vita port if it hits a stretch goal, but that could change, almost done getting that hammered away.

cpooi

Isn't the original PC version 4:3? why do they want to

process it to 1280x720 for proper widescreen support.

Why would you want to lose pixels?

Edit: seeing the new update, and comments from people worrying about nonsense like drivers, I have only one thing to say.

Make the game output resolution independent of the artwork resolution, and based on what the user's monitor supports and internally scale the artwork (and offer integer scaling). Also provide crop (with scrolling) options and black bars for full artwork.
Brownie points for using good scalers, like lanczos, or jinc with an anti-ringing filter. Nobody likes bilinear. Even better if you provide multiple scalers to choose from.

Cropping is still the devil though

Sekai Project

Neo Member
Isn't the original PC version 4:3? why do they want to

Why would you want to lose pixels?

Edit: seeing the new update, and comments from people worrying about nonsense like drivers, I have only one thing to say.

Make the game output resolution independent of the artwork resolution, and based on what the user's monitor supports and internally scale the artwork (and offer integer scaling). Also provide crop (with scrolling) options and black bars for full artwork.
Brownie points for using good scalers, like lanczos, or jinc with an anti-ringing filter. Nobody likes bilinear. Even better if you provide multiple scalers to choose from.

Cropping is still the devil though

Considering the engine's been incrementally upgraded over 10 years...we also don't have access to it's source code.

Considering the engine's been incrementally upgraded over 10 years...we also don't have access to it's source code.

Surely you were planning on having them update the engine in some capacity if you were going to make it all display in widescreen. Or is that already supported? At any rate, options are always nice.

_Ryo_

EDIT: I read wrong. Side stories from PSP. not a PSP stretch goal. I'm... sad

but it's still really awesome!

Top Bottom