• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clash of Clans |OT|

upgraded to th9. yeah, the folks that said in the clash forum that loot was more difficult as a new 9 were right. going to be a bit of a slog until I get my troops upgraded which will be quite a while at this rate. Did get the archer queen right away, but she goes down immediately as a level 1, about halfway to dark elixer for level 2. I do have the lab, spell factory, xbow and one camp underway with the fifth builder working on new buildings. no spells for 5 days is rough, particularly for wars. just feel neutered there. I think I'll barch from gold 3 back to crystal 3 just to get back to a reasonable loot bonus.

upgraded to th9. yeah, the folks that said in the clash forum that loot was more difficult as a new 9 were right. going to be a bit of a slog until I get my troops upgraded which will be quite a while at this rate. Did get the archer queen right away, but she goes down immediately as a level 1, about halfway to dark elixer for level 2. I do have the lab, spell factory, xbow and one camp underway with the fifth builder working on new buildings. no spells for 5 days is rough, particularly for wars. just feel neutered there. I think I'll barch from gold 3 back to crystal 3 just to get back to a reasonable loot bonus.

In the same situation. I think TH9 will be as far as I go. May just sit and max out here.

Alright have dragons 3 for the next war, and should probably have GOWIPE potential for the one after although only level 1 golem and pekka, Will have lvl 5 wizard.

In the same situation. I think TH9 will be as far as I go. May just sit and max out here.

How did you guys feel about TH8? Was it as fun as TH7?

I originally planned on stopping at TH7. But now here I am with a completely maxed TH7 base, with a level 5 BK. The only remaining upgrades are the Labratory upgrades for Minions and Hog Riders. After that I will have absolutely nothing left to do at TH7. I'm tempted to move on to TH8 because I'm in a clan now and we could really use some higher level bases. Is TH8 a lot tougher than TH7? Will I be broke as hell for a while if I upgrade?

I liked th8. You get a few new units to play with that are quite good in clan wars. After you get your archers and barbs upgraded, you can easily barch most th8s for 50% and loot. Dragons get upgrade I think, which are fun in war. The costs and build times are manageble if you spread things out to finish day to day.

Ocho

TH8 is waaaay harder than TH7 in wars. You actually have to think to 3 star. Dragons aren't insta win. It's been a while since I last 6 star in war, there's always a little mistake.

Well like any TH upgrade you are gonna get thrashed for a long time because there are generally more upgrades that take longer with each new level. So you will be in same pool as people who have been doing it for months+ and you are basically a glorified TH-1. I think getting near maxed out will always look cushy compared to upgrading but that is because you don't want to start at the bottom of the ladder again.

How did you guys feel about TH8? Was it as fun as TH7?

I originally planned on stopping at TH7. But now here I am with a completely maxed TH7 base, with a level 5 BK. The only remaining upgrades are the Labratory upgrades for Minions and Hog Riders. After that I will have absolutely nothing left to do at TH7. I'm tempted to move on to TH8 because I'm in a clan now and we could really use some higher level bases. Is TH8 a lot tougher than TH7? Will I be broke as hell for a while if I upgrade?

TH8 is more fun than TH7.
At TH7 dragons are the only viable attack option. At TH8 you have GoWiPe, Hogs and dragons.
You can even try LoGoWipe and HoGoWiPe on some bases.
Its also possible to defend against any TH8 attack, while at TH7 you have no chance if another TH7 attacks you with 10 lv. 2 dragons and 3 lightingspells.
I'm not sure whether its impossible to 3 star a good TH8 with dragons lv. 3, but my TH8 hasn't been 3 stared by another TH8 in the last 15 wars or so.
Have been attacked by dragons lv. 3 several times, never 3 stared.
But my air defenses were the first thing I maxed at TH8, followed by the archer towers. I'm sure if you focus on other defense first, dragons lv. 3 will crush your base.

Thats the base in case anybody wants to copy:
Q1lLJww.png

Ignore the TH9 buildings, its a TH8 base.

Edit: Skeletton traps on air, of course.

Ocho

I can see your base being 3 starred by dragons by attacking from 2 o'clock, 1 heal, 2 rage, and max loons CC. But yeah, that attack requieres perfect execution.

I've changed from dragons to mostly hogs lately. They are funner.

I can see your base being 3 starred by dragons by attacking from 2 o'clock, 1 heal, 2 rage, and max loons CC. But yeah, that attack requieres perfect execution.

I've changed from dragons to mostly hogs lately. They are funner.

Basically everyone attacks from there, but nobody has three starred the base yet. Too much DPS in the middle of the base.
But I could see it work with lv 6 baloons in the clan castle and 3 lightning spells maybe. Haven't been attacked that way iirc.

btw: farming at TH9 sucks. I just spent 250k gold on searching for bases to raid and still nothing.

btw: farming at TH9 sucks. I just spent 250k gold on searching for bases to raid and still nothing.

Oh yeah, I'm moving back to crystal 2 from gold 3 slowly and I haven't had many good hits along the way. Moving up to get the loot bonus, as at least that way I can break even on the resource that he base I hit is lacking.

Also dropping wall breakers left and right to get to the storages.

Th9. Just, not fun at all. Have the lab and spell done and 1.5 camps. Man the costs to upgrade the units is way too high. I can't get 4.5m elixir in a two hr boost session, and by the time I can have extended time again I'll have been raided twice, hoping one of two was a th snipe. Dumping gold to reduce targeting.

Anyone have a good early TH9 attack strategy?

No upgrades for TH9 units as of this moment.

I use bam with a healthy dose of wall breakers 1500-1750 range, basically hitting everything I can with 100k of one resource. Have to get to the storage. Very hit or miss. Still working out everything. Hopefully will get the 4.5m for barbs soon, that will help a bit.

I use bam with a healthy dose of wall breakers 1500-1750 range, basically hitting everything I can with 100k of one resource. Have to get to the storage. Very hit or miss. Still working out everything. Hopefully will get the 4.5m for barbs soon, that will help a bit.

Any war attack strat? Would like to get at least 2 stars against other TH9's.

Thanks for the advice about TH8 guys. Sorry for the late response; April is just insane for those of us in the tax field. x_x

I managed to get another 10k DE so I'm upgrading my Minions in the Lab. Once that's finished the only thing I have left to do is to gather up 20k DE for the Hog Rider upgrade. You guys convinced me that TH8 won't be too bad so I will level up after that.

Gowipe should always get you at least two stars if done right, unless its a very good TH9.
Golems are way better than giants. From health points alone a golem lv 1. is worth as much as 10 lv. 5 giants, but a golem takes up 20 spaces less than 10 giants.

gowipe strat(2 golems, 3 pekkas, 4-6 wallbreakers, rest wizards, 3 ragespells or 2 rage 1 heal. I usually go with 3 rage)
Unless the clancastle is on the outside, don't pull it, its just a waste of troops and time, you can usually kill it just as fast in the middle of the attack.
At least thats true for me now, because so far I haven't encountered clans with witches in the CC.
Place your two golems on a side, place them so far appart that they take damage from all the defensive buildings on that side.
Don't attack from a corner, the shape of corners will most likely lead to your troops splitting up, which is not good.
Then quickly spawn the wizards behind the golems to destory the outside buildings, don't spawn your pekkas before all the outside buildings on one side are gone because if they're still there your pekkas will most likely go around the base, which is the worst case scenario in a gowipe attack.
Also don't forget to place the wallbreakers, preferable befor you spawn the pekkas(further reduces chance of pekkas going around the base). Don't place the wallbreaker directly behind the golems because if you do there is a high chance they will get fucked by a mortar.
While doing all that keep an eye on the clancastle troops, especially when there are wizards in the cc you need to kill them quickly because otherwise they fuck your golems or pekkas up badly. Keep an eye on when they're coming out, spawn some more wizards to the place where they are going to be and then rage your troops. That way you should be able to kill the cc-troops without losing much of your own troops. Healspell can also be very helpful here.
At this point there is not much left for you to do. Just look where a lot of your troops are bunched up in a place and put your rage there. If a group of wizards splits away from the tanky troops(pekkas, golems) try to place your barb king intelligently so that he can tank for them a bit.
Thats basically it.

99% of the time a well executed gowipe gets to the center of the base easily, so townhall and 50% shouldn't be hard.

Some tips:
1. Thats an island base:
epic-town-hall-9-th9-trophy-base-clan-war-base-anti-hog-base-clash-of-clans-awesome-design.jpg

Some people have problems getting into the center of these bases with gowipe.
You can use the enemy heros or clancastle to pull your troops into the center.
You check the range of the cc and then estimate where the cc troops need to attack your troops for our troops to get pulled into the center.
Same thing with the heros.

If you have a jumpspells getting into center department should be no problem.

2. Try to guess the tesla spots or watch replays if a clanmate already attacked the base.
Tesla are deadly fo your pekkas so if possible you should try to attack in a way where you eliminate the teslas quickly. When your Pekkas are in the center and there are 3-4 tesla behind walls spread around the center, it'll be a massacre. Try to avoid these situations if you go for 3 stars.

3. After a few attacks you get a feeling for how far you can get with each base. With gowipe you often have the problem that you rush through the base but at the end you don't get the 3 stars because there are one or two defense buildings left behind walls on the opposite side from where you started your attack. It helps to bring 3-5 ballons or hogriders in these cases. Most people have their air defense centered, so it gets killed quickly by gowipe and so balloons are a very effective addition to a gowipe. Hogs are similar.
If you take them with you don't place the to earily. Wait until the defensive buildings on the other side started attacking your main troops in the middle of the base.

I hope what I just wrote is somewhat coherent. I just came home and I'm drunk.

broz0rs

I don't think giants should ever be used as front line troops for war unless it's against TH7 and below.

Level 1 golems are fine, even against TH9. Pekka upgrading should be a priority.

Matush

I don't think giants should ever be used as front line troops for war unless it's against TH7 and below.

Level 1 golems are fine, even against TH9. Pekka upgrading should be a priority.
Giants are actually pretty good for luring out the clan castle, I'm using gowipe with 1/2 giants, depends where the CC is located and it works pretty good, also my clan reached 70th win today.

broz0rs

Giants are actually pretty good for luring out the clan castle, I'm using gowipe with 1/2 giants, depends where the CC is located and it works pretty good, also my clan reached 70th win today.

yeah, they are fine for luring since they can take a good amount of hits and barbs just don't cut it at that level. but like I said, never front line tanking defenses, they'll get shredded and tossed into smithereens.

FoxSpirit

Getting to the end of my first month of play, TH5 almost 100% upgraded. Let's see if I can get my walls up to 100% upgraded during the next 6 days.
Overall, I am pretty pleased.
At least, from what I gather I should be ;-)

Hopefully. Perhaps now I won't feel dread when my clan pulls a south Asian or Korean opponent, I get the feeling some of those clans were using that, just too many perfect attacks without errors. Interested to see how the new defense building works, w ordering on the positioning. I've started my build for it to compete in about 22 hrs, will see. Of course, I'm th9 which won't get air attacks in clan war very often, so kind of a moot building I guess.

Edit, there is a bug in the update that allows wall upgrades for elixir for levels 6 and 7 like before, but it will be addressed very soon and removed again.

Hopefully. Perhaps now I won't feel dread when my clan pulls a south Asian or Korean opponent, I get the feeling some of those clans were using that, just too many perfect attacks without errors. Interested to see how the new defense building works, w ordering on the positioning. I've started my build for it to compete in about 22 hrs, will see. Of course, I'm th9 which won't get air attacks in clan war very often, so kind of a moot building I guess.

Edit, there is a bug in the update that allows wall upgrades for elixir for levels 6 and 7 like before, but it will be addressed very soon and removed again.
Really? I have seen a rise in Lavaloons strategy recently that when done right completely obliterates most th9

Really? I have seen a rise in Lavaloons strategy recently that when done right completely obliterates most th9

I've only been th9 for two months or so and have yet to get attacked by anything other than ground based assaults. Probably a factor of who my clan keeps getting matched with, I haven't seen the other th9s get hit lavalloon either.

I've only been th9 for two months or so and have yet to get attacked by anything other than ground based assaults. Probably a factor of who my clan keeps getting matched with, I haven't seen the other th9s get hit lavalloon either.

In my experience it really depends on how good the clan is you're up against.
Most clans are very comfortable with 2-starring bases and all the do is gowipe, gowiwi etc.
But 2-stars is whats losing you wars. To win wars against more serious clans you need to consistantly 3 star even maxed TH9s and lavaloon, pentalavaloon, golavaloon and hog attacks are what get you the 3 stars on maxed TH9s. Golavaloon with high level heros is the strongest attack you can bring at TH9 if you ask me.
Gowipe and its variations really lose its power at TH9 imo. Even many valk attacks can be stronger.

Will be interesting to see how the air sweeper will affect the loon attacks, but I think it will basically just determine the side from which you start your attack, since there are 4 air defenses at TH9 bases usually have them spread symetrically, so you were able to attack from either side up until now.

Edit: Jup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfCw9I5UXsU

Great videos, thanks. I kind of wish the air sweeper was hidden like the tesla since it seems like it is easily avoided. I have mine upgrading to level two now.

Yeah, not gonna happen. That would render all air attacks useless unless its a cleanup attack and you already know the direction of the air sweeper.

My guess is that the air sweeper is mainly to nerf dragons a bit.
Dragons are overpowered at TH7 and TH8.
Mass dragon attacks are very simple and very effective at TH7 and TH8 and with the air sweeper in there they get a bit more complicated.
On the other hand dragons already have been completely useless at TH9 and TH10 and now they're even more useless :D

Yeah we are still around. Just search Neogaf, we are the one with the most trophies. Just send us a request to join.

Hmm, I actually see 3 NeoGAFs.

NeoGAF with 2 members with trophies of 1427, Neogaf via invite only with 1355 with 3 members, and the one with NeoGAF Turbo with 16/50 members at 6224 trophies but anyone can join...

Could I request an invite? Cthulu #2LGY9QQJ

Does anybody here have some experience with GoLavaLoon attacks. I've been doing them more recently and have a tough time getting the 3 stars and I don't really know what I'm doing wrong.

So I attacked this base:
uz6dLf3.png

Lv. 7 Queen and Lv. 10 King

My army:
4 Barbs
2 Giants
3 Wallbreakers
18 Loons Lv. 6
5 Wizards Lv. 5
1 Golem Lv. 2
2 Lavahouns Lv. 1
6 Hogsrider Lv. 4 in the clancastle
Lv. 10 King
Lv. 6 Queen
1 Lightning spell
3 rage spells

Attack strategy:
-Place a giant in the right corner and released the hogs from the clancaste there. Giant tanked a bit for the hogs and the hogs took out the cannon and the air defense.

-Then I placed my golem on the bottom left side, 5 wizards behind him, wallbreaker to get him in there and then the heros.
My king took out the enemy queen, my queen took out the air defense and lighting spell and the rest of the troop took out the enemy clancastle. Also the whole compartment of defenses was down.

-Next step was placing my two lavahounds next to the remaining two air defenses and spreading my loons behind them, also placing the rage spells.

Overall everything went exactly as planned, but it didn't work out. I ended up with a 76% one star.

Here is very bad video of it(don't know how to record the screen directly, so thats all I got):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftEo0KRunsQ

What was I doing wrong? Was the execution flawed? Or was the plan flawed?

Ocho

NeoGAF with 2 members with trophies of 1427, Neogaf via invite only with 1355 with 3 members, and the one with NeoGAF Turbo with 16/50 members at 6224 trophies but anyone can join...

Probably NeoGAF Turbo as it is the one with most trophies. :p

Anyone can join is the worst, tho.

Ours is the one with 13 members (the 16 member one is dead). Not sure how to send an invite.

Okay I think I now see why. The clan is closed somehow when I did an advanced search for it.

I also see 3 leaders with the names: Nathan, Kalliban, and Garrick so I have no idea how to get in touch with them.

I'll bookmark the clan until there's an update around here. Thanks for the help!

On my way to TH8! Upgrading my Air Sweeper to level 3 and finally got the 20k dark elixir to upgrade Hog Riders to level 2. And that's all folks! My final TH7 pic:

TH7 was very fun, but it has gotten a bit stale in clan wars — I can 100% any TH7 with mass Dragons, and in return I always get 3-starred by mass Dragons. I'm looking forward to a little more of a challenge at TH8.

Okay I think I now see why. The clan is closed somehow when I did an advanced search for it.

I also see 3 leaders with the names: Nathan, Kalliban, and Garrick so I have no idea how to get in touch with them.

I'll bookmark the clan until there's an update around here. Thanks for the help!

I'll open up the clan.

TH8 is brutal so far... I've lost over a million gold/elixir in the last couple days from raids. I got the advice to push up to Crystal because more players are looking to snipe your TH instead of going for an all-out loot. I'm mostly running into the opposite right now — lots of people going only for my loot and ignoring my exposed TH (so I get a shorter shield and they don't gain trophies).

Top Bottom