• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Classics HD: Ratchet and Clank Trilogy

Deepo

How did you find out?! We had to replace Ratchet's ship with a Scion. We felt it was a good tradeoff for F2P.

aLoUT.jpg

Day one!

we’re happy to confirm that the online competitive multiplayer from Up Your Arsenal will be included.

fatboy_reactsllzpi.gif

Three things remain to be said though:
1. Will there be a "Volume 2" with Deadlocked and the 2 PSP games, like God of War did?
2. Will the trophies be a joke like Sly and can be done by a 5 year old? Make the platinums tough to get, make you do everything/get everything
3. Will there be online trophies for Up Your Arsenal? This is the one time I want them to be a giant grind and tough. I put over 500 hours easily into UYA PS2.

Joni

Is the lack of Deadlock really because other collections only had 2-3 games?

THere are still two other Ratchet games for the PS2 after Deadlocked, Secret Agent Clank and Size Matters. (The PSP ports) So they could keep Deadlocked back for that second collection.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Well, yeah, but 4 games for $60 wouldn't be bad.

yeah, we talked about lots of options, including that. But I think generally people view these as more "budget" releases, rather than full sixty dollar price tags (despite it being four full games). We even considered with Sony doing two $40 releases (RC1/GC and then UYA/Deadlocked), but that wasn't the best either.

we feel good about this route.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I'm kind of torn between Up Your Arsenal and A Crack in Time as my favorite Ratchet. I played through UYA on the PS3, and loved it, but ACIT is just so, so good. I just don't know!

I love these HD Collections. So far, only a small number of my favorite PS2 games are unavailable on the PS3.

Once they announce FFXII HD, Dark Cloud 1,2, and Rogue Galaxy, and bring over more games to PS2 classics like The Mark of Kri, Ghost Hunter, Shadow of Memories, and Second Sight, and I won't need to horde my BC PS3 like I do.

So far, all of my other favorite PS2 series have gotten the HD treatment, or are released as classics.

R&C was the one I was really waiting for. I figured it was only a matter of time before it was announced, but I'm so glad it's official. It really is one of my favorite gaming franchises, and to think, I didn't get into the series until Tools of Destruction! (I briefly played the demo of the original R&C, but didn't get around to buying it, despite really liking it).

I'd love more R&C, but A Crack in Time was such an amazing game, I don't know if we need a new "traditional" R&C. Never played All4One, and don't really have much interest in it, sadly.

Raptomex

I've been wanting to try this series for the longest time. I was actually hoping this would happen. Definitely going to pick this up.

yeah, we talked about lots of options, including that. But I think generally people view these as more "budget" releases, rather than full sixty dollar price tags (despite it being four full games). We even considered with Sony doing two $40 releases (RC1/GC and then UYA/Deadlocked), but that wasn't the best either.

Well, I think the best route now that 1-3 are in one collection leaves the option to do Deadlocked and the 2 PSP games. So, a second collection with 3 games, leaving PS3 with the "complete" saga. That would also be best business wise.

Also please make the trophies tough to get (do everything in each game) and have online trophies for UYA. Or tell Idol Minds this, etc.
No baby stuff like Sly collection please. My mother could Platinum those games.

BHZ Mayor

Maybe the bonus is a demo to a new Ratchet game where we can go all the way back in time and play as Kaden, and it'll be ported as a launch title for PS4 ala Twilight Princess. A man can dream, right?

krae_man

Funny how 4 for $40 wasn't an option(or just shot down).

j/k

I'll wait for the second collection.

Johnny

All of these HD remakes should run at 1080p60 unless they completely redo the graphics like we saw with Halo. The Jak collection was disappointing.

SykoTech

This 10th Anniversary celebration better mean that we'll be seeing more of the franchise.

Insomniac, please make another R&C game, a true sequel to A Crack in Time. That was such a perfect game!

Co-signed.

I know the Radio chatter in A Crack in Time made a joke about this.

The Ratchet & Clank comic confirmed that "joke" to be true. Angela is a lombax, and fled to another dimension with Max Apogee (Talwyn's father) to avoid Tachyon.

Althoran

Insomniac, please make another R&C game, a true sequel to A Crack in Time. That was such a perfect game!

Definitely agree with this.
This is great. I have been wanting to play the PS2 Ratchets but never did.
But as others have mentioned it will have to wait. Why release it one day after the GOTY Diablo III.

SgtCobra

Ratchet & Clank, oh god the memories :')

Three things remain to be said though:
2. Will the trophies be a joke like Sly and can be done by a 5 year old? Make the platinums tough to get, make you do everything/get everything
3. Will there be online trophies for Up Your Arsenal? This is the one time I want them to be a giant grind and tough. I put over 500 hours easily into UYA PS2.
This please.

Derrick01

Banned
Please no MP trophies other than "join a game" or "complete 1 game". It's not fair to punish people who love trophies but absolutely hate playing games online.

Or you could do what Bioware did and make a trophy that's an either-or scenario like "do ____ in SP OR complete 10 MP games". Honestly I'm surprised more people don't take advantage of that since it satisfies both sides.

Cels

Please no MP trophies other than "join a game" or "complete 1 game". It's not fair to punish people who love trophies but absolutely hate playing games online.

your use of the word "punish" makes me laugh, but i agree with your idea.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson

Or you could do what Bioware did and make a trophy that's an either-or scenario like "do ____ in SP OR complete 10 MP games". Honestly I'm surprised more people don't take advantage of that since it satisfies both sides.

but since so few people played it the first time, demanding everyone play it by putting tons of hard MP trophies in is like a make good.... right?

(actually, I don't know where the trophies are falling at this point, I'm assuming they'll follow skill points [the original achievements!] but who knows. Haven't been in the builds I've played)

Barakov

Bought. I'm kinda bummed about the US release date, though. It'll be interesting to see what the Ratchet reasons are.

krae_man

The Ratchet & Clank comic confirmed that "joke" to be true. Angela is a lombax, and fled to another dimension with Max Apogee (Talwyn's father) to avoid Tachyon.

You say that like it was the plan all along. IMO they should have stuck to the "Clank was created for a higher purpose" storyline and not bothered with the whole "What happened with the lobaxes?" plot that didn't jive with the first 4 games. Especially since the payoff for the Lombax storyline doesn't exist.

jimi_dini

They should have added speedrun trophies to Sly and also
included the freaking voice commentary
but other than that Sly1/2/3 were never really hard games. They can't magically make them harder.

For Jak2/3 adding a "complete hero mode" trophy would have been nice, although then Jak 2 platinum would be mega super rare. For Jak 3, it would have been fine though. I would say that getting all the orbs in Jak2+3 is pretty hard.

I hope that they include "beat challenge mode" for R&C 2+3. I think 1 didn't have a challenge mode. Also get all the skill points trophy should be taken for granted. Other than that R&C were never uber-hard games. You can't change that fact, so the platinums won't be that tough to get.

Even Ico+SotC were not hard games. The platinums of those 2 games are just "hard", because of a) the retarded Ico speedrun trophy, that totally breaks the game + makes it obvious that the Yorda AI wasn't meant for (2 hour) speedruns and b) broke the physics in SotC on PS3, which makes the time trials almost impossible to beat.

And for the love of god. No freaking do 2000 multiplayer matches or some crap like that. That's not hard, it's just time consuming and stupid - especially if no one is playing - I'm looking at you Driver: San Francisco. Play multiplayer for 5 hours, okay fine. But no crazy grind. Or at least make it like another poster suggested. I would better play through the singleplayer 5 times instead of playing multiplayer.

Can't believe it's going to have online. I desperately wish MGS3HD had its online mode. Though knowing Konami it would probably only be up for 4 days.

injurai

Banned
When this comes out, we need to get some competitive matches going. Battlefront and R&C UYA where my first console multiplayer experiences.

Atolm

Jack and Daxter HD - check
MGS 2-3-PW HD - check
Devil may cry HD - Check
Sly cooper 1-2-3 HD - Check
Silent hill 2-3 HD - Check
Ratchet 1-2-3 HD - Check
Team Ico HD - Check
FF X HD - check
FF XII HD - Pending
Kingdom Hearts 1-2-COM - Pending
Onimusha 1-2-3-DoD - Pending
REmake & Zero HD - Pending
Xenosaga 1-2-3 HD - Pending
Suikoden 3-4-5 HD - Pending

we are almost there,

Missing an Ace Combat collection and a Clover Studio package with Okami, God Hand and Viewtful Joe.

bridegur

I love HD collections, but I feel like R&C is one series that doesn't really need one, simply because the games are all so similar to one another. They're all great, but if you've played one, you've more or less played them all. I do hope this means the series has a future, though, because they're always solid, great-looking games.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Difficult multiplayer trophies would suck ass. I'd be fine with "Complete 5 matches" or something like that, but 10,000 kills or top 1% shit would blow.

I am, however, all for making the single player trophies brutally difficult.

They're all great, but if you've played one, you've more or less played them all.

The same could be said for any game in any franchise.

Derrick01

Banned
but since so few people played it the first time, demanding everyone play it by putting tons of hard MP trophies in is like a make good.... right?

(actually, I don't know where the trophies are falling at this point, I'm assuming they'll follow skill points [the original achievements!] but who knows. Haven't been in the builds I've played)

Use your special Insomniac overlord powers to bend them to your will! Oh well if MP trophies do sneak in hopefully I can farm them with a friend at least.

You guys saying the same stuff about online trophies haven't played Up Your Arsenal's online. It's by far the best online experience on console last generation (sure, there wasn't much, but it's beter than most this gen.

This is something you're going to want to play.

Siege Mode is INCREDIBLE. The flying hover ships, etc...make us do some considerable skill based things online for trophies.
Just because the trophies are there doesn't mean you have to do them, guys. They are there for people who want to do those tasks. If you want another "easy plat" with no stress then there's plenty. Stop influencing devs to not even make you do 70% of what the game offers for 100% of the trophies.

Derrick01

Banned
You guys saying the same stuff about online trophies haven't played Up Your Arsenal's online. It's by far the best online experience on console last generation (sure, there wasn't much, but it's beter than most this gen.

This is something you're going to want to play.

Siege Mode is INCREDIBLE. The flying hover ships, etc...make us do some considerable skill based things online for trophies.
Just because the trophies are there doesn't mean you have to do them, guys. They are there for people who want to do those tasks. If you want another "easy plat" with no stress then there's plenty. Stop influencing devs to not even make you do 70% of what the game offers for 100% of the trophies.

Nothing against that game but I almost never play online in any game. It's just not something I have an interest in and I'd rather play an engaging single player/story mode. Online trophies that force an entirely separate game mode on the player is not a good thing. Plus from what I've seen most MP fans hate them too because they usually ruin the MP for a while until most are done doing whatever the trophies want them to do.

Top Bottom