• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Classics HD: Ratchet and Clank Trilogy

jiggle

insomniac is handling this in-house?

those shots look way more impressive than i remembered
the geometries :eek:

edit: celebrate the anniversary with trophy patch for Tools!!!!!!

Bladenic

Crack in Time is almost perfect and my favorite by far, but I feel I need to replay the original games, especially 3 since it used to be my favorite, to get a better perspective.

Oh, and why Fall for US? Really don't understand the huge gap between regions.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
insomniac is handling this in-house?

those shots look way more impressive than i remembered
the geometries :eek:

edit: celebrate the anniversary with trophy patch for Tools!!!!!!

nope, Idol Minds is doing it, but from what I've played so far, they are doing a stellar job. There's also a key ex-Insomniac engine/core guy over there working on it too.

It's in good hands

Now we need Jak and Daxter Collection Volume 2, with Jak X: Combat Racing, Daxter, and The Lost Frontier all upscaled and with trophys.

I hope they'll fix the camera in the first Ratchet, there was no way to circle strafe in that game, and it basically makes the game unplayable after playing the sequels.

Joni

Nothing against that game but I almost never play online in any game. It's just not something I have an interest in and I'd rather play an engaging single player/story mode. Online trophies that force an entirely separate game mode on the player is not a good thing. Plus from what I've seen most MP fans hate them too because they usually ruin the MP for a while until most are done doing whatever the trophies want them to do.

Indeed.

Online Trophies are also hell because if there is no online community, you're stuck without those Trophies.

BHZ Mayor

I hope they'll fix the camera in the first Ratchet, there was no way to circle strafe in that game, and it basically makes the game unplayable after playing the sequels.

Whiile it would nice for consistency, I seriously doubt they'll add strafing to the first game since these are ports, and
you get a "sorta kinda" strafe ability late in the game.

Seventy5

Adding this to the Vita would be excellent!!
Yes it would, but that would end up with me paying for this game 3 times. Once to import since I can't wait for it to hit the US to play it, then a US version and Vita.

I would do it though, Insomniac is my favorite developer, they are welcome to my money :)

jimi_dini

Plus from what I've seen most MP fans hate them too because they usually ruin the MP for a while until most are done doing whatever the trophies want them to do.

Best example Driver: San Francisco.

The "Pass the Torch" trophy has fully ruined Relay race. 2 days ago was the FIRST time that I experienced that game mode like it was meant to be (because everyone on my team was level 40 and had the trophy already sigh). Before that every single match consisted of my own team racing into my car as soon as I had the torch. I waited all the time for the torch fuel to run out (like you are supposed to play). Had the torch - bam - some idiot crashed into me. Who cares if we win the match or not.

And even if they are done properly - people will boost the multiplayer trophies. So they won't be worth anything. And most of the time the boosting will ruin the match for proper players.

Loudninja

PS blog comments:
+ James Stevenson on March 15th, 2012 at 10:53 am said:

May to Fall isn’t necessarily 5 months. Date is TBD.

Again, the reason for this will be more clear when we reveal another component to the 10th Anniversary Celebration
+ James Stevenson on March 15th, 2012 at 11:19 am said:

There is more to the 10th Anniversary Celebration worldwide.

The special bonus is just something for having to wait. Lots of good stuff coming this year

How the multiplayer will work
+ James Stevenson on March 15th, 2012 at 1:18 pm said:

At this point, it looks like it’ll be exactly how it was on PS2, in that you’ll create and play on an account inside the game.
+ James Stevenson on March 15th, 2012 at 2:28 pm said:

You use your PSN account to get online, then inside the game you set up an account that you log into when you play

About online splitscreen
+ James Stevenson on March 15th, 2012 at 5:26 pm said:

Ok, I was wrong, it did (it’s been 8 years!)… and I believe it’ll be in UYA… obviously updating that is tough, but it’s currently mostly working, so looking good to be in there for final

+ James Stevenson on March 15th, 2012 at 2:28 pm said:

Again, everything should be available to all. More details when we can share, it’ll all make sense, and YOU GET IT EARLY.

About the surprise
+ James Stevenson on March 15th, 2012 at 4:31 pm said:

That would be crafty of us, wouldn’t it?

That’s not the big 10th Anniversary Surprise though :)
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012...multiplayer-included/comment-page-3/#comments

Derrick01

Banned
Best example Driver: San Francisco.

The "Pass the Torch" trophy has fully ruined Relay race. 2 days ago was the FIRST time that I experienced that game mode like it was meant to be (because everyone on my team was level 40 and had the trophy already sigh). Before that every single match consisted of my own team racing into my car as soon as I had the torch. I waited all the time for the torch fuel to run out (like you are supposed to play). Had the torch - bam - some idiot crashed into me. Who cares if we win the match or not.

And even if they are done properly - people will boost the multiplayer trophies. So they won't be worth anything. And most of the time the boosting will ruin the match for proper players.

Gears and Perfect Dark Zero is where I really experienced it first hand since I don't play a lot of multiplayer. I basically gave up trying to play the games normally because of the achievement whores, and yet I was more mad at the devs than the people because the devs put them in that situation.

This surprise better be amazing then because that was on my short list for making an extra ~4 month wait worth it. There's not a whole lot left that would please me.

BHK3

Banned
there was a custom thing written to up-res them all. They are still 4:3, but they all are fully uprezzed now in the game.

What work are they doing? Is it just upscaled like jak and daxter?

Edit: I didn't realize who you were and I didn't read the comments in the blog until now, I apologize if I come off as a little disrespectful. I was just wondering what nitty gritty updates or things you/they are doing with the game because I was really underwhelmed with the J&D collection. I understand they were coding by magicians and it was hard working with it, but I like to believe that was a special case and R&C won't be the same.

Interesting about the separate accounts for UYA online...what is this, Konami ID's??

It isn't using the same database as the PS2 online, right? All usernames from that are gone now?

Seriously though, now I have to fear my name being taken if I don't register minute 1/day 1. What's the fastest way to get a UK game to the US?

Window

I'd buy this in heartbeat if I still had my PS3. Still remember playing the first Ratchet &Clank demo over and over again which came with the PS2 at the time. Not surprisingly then my first PS2 game I bought was Ratchet & Clank.

krae_man

If it's not Deadlocked for free, the only thing worthwhile is free Vita versions. A Ratchet Plush or an Overstrike beta code wouldn't live up to the hype.

jimi_dini

All 4 One included for free!

*pukes*

Haha

I really don't know, if I should grab an EU copy in 2 months or wait for the US "special surprise". But if it's anything like that, I would punch myself in the face for not getting it sooner. Why can't they just release it everywhere at the same time or tell us, if the "surprise" is anything worth waiting for.

See this is how you do a proper HD series release. You include the fucking multiplayer. I'm looking at you Ubisoft!

If that would be the only issue with Ubisoft "HD series". PoP didn't have multiplayer and it was still completely ruined by money-grabbing Ubisoft. Still, yeah, you are right. If the original had multiplayer, it should be included. SOCOM 2 HD.

daycru

No May release is a bummer. If I import can I still earn trophies and such on my US account? Haven't done any importing this gen.

Himself

As a big R&C fan and a big collector of special editions I really hope this is some sort of super special...thing...I can look forward to having. Or I'd also settle on a new Ratchet for PS4 announcement.

mclaren777

I would have much preferred Going Commando, Up Your Arsenal, and Deadlocked.

But still, this was my reaction to the news...

ibzTZud0QlaNgY.gif

HYDE

Banned
Am I the only one who loved Quest For Booty? I'd love that game to get a disc release here in the US. Or better yet, put it in the collection Insomniac!

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Am I the only one who loved Quest For Booty? I'd love that game to get a disc release here in the US. Or better yet, put it in the collection Insomniac!

lots of people love that game. I'm convinced it only reviewed poorly because critics didn't know how to review a AAA-semi-sequel-downloadable chapter.

It also sold exceptionally well.

I had a case of Irish discs (the only English language Euro territory it was printed in originally) - and those were one of our hottest swag items whenever we handed stuff out in the US.

Derrick01

Banned

I loved it because it came out on PSN at a time when xbla and PSN were still in their infancy and it was pretty much all small arcade titles. Even though it was only like 3 hours it felt like I was getting a full game experience through downloads and that blew me away back then.

HYDE

Banned
lots of people love that game. I'm convinced it only reviewed poorly because critics didn't know how to review a AAA-semi-sequel-downloadable chapter.

It also sold exceptionally well.

I had a case of Irish discs (the only English language Euro territory it was printed in originally) - and those were one of our hottest swag items whenever we handed stuff out in the US.

Oh j you break my heart I want one of those discs. Happy to see some Shake 'yer Booty lovers in here. It is my official Ratchet and Clank Future 2.

I think QFB and Festival of Blood are absolutely great.

Himself said:
As a big R&C fan and a big collector of special editions I really hope this is some sort of super special...thing...I can look forward to having. Or I'd also settle on a new Ratchet for PS4 announcement.

As long as we get an announcement for Jak PS4 simultaneously.

sh4mike

I would have much preferred Going Commando, Up Your Arsenal, and Deadlocked.

Absolutely. I can't stand the first game. Going Commando would be awesome if they add dual stick controls like UYA and Deadlocked.

Really unhappy about not having Deadlocked in the package, Insomniac. Loved that announcer.

Don

Requiring you to create another account for the multiplayer sounds like a weird decision. The Konami ID from MGO was the first thing that I thought of when reading that.

daycru

PS3 games are region free, so no issue there
Very cool, was just concerned because I see people talking about having to switch between region profiles to play certain games. I guess that's only a bother when it comes to PSN?

+1 Euro sale! Can't wait.

xptoxyz

Requiring you to create another account for the multiplayer sounds like a weird decision. The Konami ID from MGO was the first thing that I thought of when reading that.

It was like that before it seems, probably was too hard/time consuming to fit the current PSN in.

xptoxyz

Very cool, was just concerned because I see people talking about having to switch between region profiles to play certain games. I guess that's only a bother when it comes to PSN?

+1 Euro sale! Can't wait.

I think in most cases you would have to download the corresponding region DLC, probably won't be applicable here though.

edit: should've edited, damn double post. if a mod can join the posts please.

Loudninja

Nothing weird about it thats how is was in the original version.

CamHostage

I would have much preferred Going Commando, Up Your Arsenal, and Deadlocked.[/IMG]

As with the Jak & Daxter collection (which unfortunately didn't sell well, supposedly? hopefully the long-tail sales of classics on PSN will keep this market alive,) it'd make sense at some point to put out a second collection containing the lesser legacy games and PSP releases.

Jak X / Daxter / Lost Frontier

Ratchet Deadlocked / Size Matters / Secret Agent Clank​

Neither package would make for a blockbuster release (though I love Deadlocked, more than -shocker- R&C3,) but the variety alone might make them worth it if the classic game re-release market has legs.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

I liked it, but it sucks not having skill points, new game plus, or trophies.

Absolutely. I can't stand the first game.

*mind blown*

Jak X / Daxter / Lost Frontier

Ratchet Deadlocked / Size Matters / Secret Agent Clank​

I wish.

Top Bottom