• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cliffy B departs Epic - Takes break from industry - GAF writes disturbing fan fiction

REV 09

Thanks for all the work you poured into Gears. We had some of my favorite gaming moments online throughout the trilogy. Hope you enjoy the time off and best of luck.

It is very unprofessional to get a new gig while you are being paid by someone else. I didn't want to do that. I honestly want to just chill at the beach for a bit with my wife and dogs, maybe show her Japan at some point. And yes, we did steal Casey that night. Strange thing is she's now marrying Tanya Jessen's ex husband.
lmaooooooooo

It is very unprofessional to get a new gig while you are being paid by someone else. I didn't want to do that. I honestly want to just chill at the beach for a bit with my wife and dogs, maybe show her Japan at some point. And yes, we did steal Casey that night. Strange thing is she's now marrying Tanya Jessen's ex husband.

Cliffy is headed to Capcom confirmed.

Cliffy is making a third person, grimdark Megaman reboot confirmed.

sp3000

Thanks for all your work on the Unreal series and Jazz Jackrabbit

You've earned the break

whitehawk

Banned
CliffyB memories...

YqgzI.jpg

Good luck with your time off. Travel and enjoy the world. It's a wonderful experience.

Looking forward to having you back in the industry in due time. Thanks for all the work up to today.

Hopefully you're still able to participate as a fan.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I got no problem with Cliffy and I'd have a beer with him if he was in the area/took a day drive down but I'll always be angry at Cliffy for not doing Jazz 3 before bouncing. My boycott of anything that was Epic and not UT continued unabated for a decade and now I'll never get a Jazz 3. T_T

Orayn

Cliffy, I just want you to know that Jazz Jackrabbit 2 introduced my much younger self to online gaming, and consequently a lot of swear words. You have my eternal gratitude.

sp3000

Cliffy, I just want you to know that Jazz Jackrabbit 2 introduced my much younger self to online gaming, and consequently a lot of swear words. You have my eternal gratitude.

JJ2's online was one of the weirdest experiences in gaming

You had a mixture of adults from Unreal mixed with 8 year olds with very little in between.

Karram

List of people who left people in the last 2 month:

Cliff B.
Rod Fergusson
Lee Perry
Adrian Chmielarz + lead and principal artists
Demond Rogers
Aaron Smith
Mikey Spano
Martin Sweitzer
Matt Tonks

All these guys have worked with Epic for 5+ years. I think there is something going on at Epic.

Cliff B.
Rod Fergusson
Lee Perry
Demond Rogers
Aaron Smith
Mikey Spano
Martin Sweitzer
Matt Tonks

All these guys have worked with Epic for 5+ years. I think there is something going on at Epic.

yeah, i'll say tim sweeney is the mastermind behind epic's success, but will be interesting to see if these defections have a effect.

Zertez

Sounds nice. Relaxing on a beach with the new wife and dogs after all the deadlines, sounds like a good idea. Just hope you make it back to the industry at some point, enjoy the time off, you earned it.

tborsje

Jazz Jackrabbit was my first plaformer! I (barely) remember from when I was 6 or 7 years old, playing the shareware version over and over again since my dad was too cheap to actually buy the full game. It was certainly the best DOS platformer released!

i haven't read the entire thread, but it's filled with WAY less hate than i anticipated when clicking on it which is good. gears of war is an awesome franchise. one of my favorite series of all time and certainly my favorite to come out of this generation.

it's even better that cliff popped in to comment. i sincerely wish him the best of luck on whatever he does next. i'm confident that epic is capable of continuing gears of war since the core of it is so well established. i'm looking forward to seeing what cliff does next. hopefully, its as exciting and engaging as gears of war has been.

Hellcrow

Cliffy made Jazz Jackrabbit? I remember my computer could not play that game, so had to settle for Speedboat Attack. I only bought games with awesome names.

Now he can make Jazz Jackrabbit for android.

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
CliffyB, thanks for all the hard work you put into the industry. I hope you enjoy yourself during your time off.

Macmanus

Cliff B.
Rod Fergusson
Lee Perry
Demond Rogers
Aaron Smith
Mikey Spano
Martin Sweitzer
Matt Tonks

Reminds me of the great Blizzard departure. Hopefully we'll get another Hellgate caliber game out of it.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Cliffy B, enjoy your time off and thanks for all the memories your games have provided. Gears of War was the game that made me choose a 360 over a Wii, it was my first next gen game, and was my first real experience with online gaming. I thank you for the Gears of Wars series.

Even if 2 was a bit of a blunder.

Gorillaz

Cliff B.
Rod Fergusson
Lee Perry
Demond Rogers
Aaron Smith
Mikey Spano
Martin Sweitzer
Matt Tonks

Ive been thinking the same. It's also a little interesting with Next Gen around the corner.

Tagg9

And no, my wife didn't dictate my choice, I'm an adult who can make his own calls.

That's what all the slaves say.

Cliff B.
Rod Fergusson
Lee Perry
Demond Rogers
Aaron Smith
Mikey Spano
Martin Sweitzer
Matt Tonks

That is peculiar. I'm thinking new startup?...

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap

Cliff B.
Rod Fergusson
Lee Perry Adrian Chmielarz + lead and principal artists
Demond Rogers
Aaron Smith
Mikey Spano
Martin Sweitzer
Matt Tonks

wow

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Good luck Cliff, good luck with whatever your next endeavors are! I'm kinda surprised by this news, but I really enjoyed the Gears games so thanks for that!

JimiNutz

Banned
CliffyB memories...

YqgzI.jpg

Haha! I believe that was in the lead up to Gears 2.
I actually turned down a job because I was going to have to live out of a hotel for a year and I was worried that it wouldn't have good enough of an internet connection for me to play Gears online.
Oh the memories :(

That Randy Marsh avatar was the best as well...

Hope you enjoy the break Cliff and best of luck for the future!
Please come back and make awesome games again at some point though.

Cipherr

i play lots of gears games and play nothing from boring old bad graphics valve. last thing i played from valve was, well i guess portal 2, which bored me to tears and was one of my worst gaming experiences ever, at that point i pretty much swore to never, ever, get suckered into playing a portal game again. also, the half life series while ironically being lauded for it's creativity, is one of the most cliched, rote, boring, and tired series in gaming. though dont get me wrong the first one deserves it's status, it was amazing. the successors are garbage.

hope that helps.

Helps solidify you as a poster with terrible tastes bro!

And no, my wife didn't dictate my choice, I'm an adult who can make his own calls.

tumblr_maiwk3f6rX1qizpry.gif

NinjaBoiX

He's an awesome developer, Gears is one of the best designed games this gen. Such a big character too. Hope he does well.

Epic doesn't do non competes. Thanks for all the love!
Thanks for everything Cliff, but I'm not gonna post this like you're dying (you're not, right?). xD

There have been some pretty huge shifts in the industry for the last couple of months (strategic movements before next-gen?) so this wasn't surprising. I wish you the best.
Relax, refocus and then go somewhere and continue making great games.
DO NOT leave the Design business. We have enough producers and managers.
Looking forward to your next endeavor.

Bowdz

Kalahira, mistress of inscrutable depths, I ask forgiveness. Kalahira, whose waves wear down stone and sand— Kalahira, wash the sins from this one and set him on a distant shore of the infinite spirit. Kalahira, this one’s heart is pure, but beset by wickedness and contention. Guide this one to where the traveller never tires, The lover never leaves, The hungry never starve. Guide this one, Kalahira, and he will be a companion to you as he was to me.

Goodbye Cliffy B. You won't be alone long.

Top Bottom