• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cliffy B departs Epic - Takes break from industry - GAF writes disturbing fan fiction

.la1n

And the "AAA" big budget sequel churn claims another victim.

Wasn't the biggest fan or recent Epic but the stuff he was talking about lately concerning game design really resonated with me.

Um...AAA big budget sequel churn is why he is able to leave Epic, he now has millions. Unless you were being sarcastic.

Yep looks like something is going on...I was totally shocked by these news to be honest.

Hopefully Gears is in good hands now that Cliff and Rod left Epic...also good luck Cliff with that you'll do in the future! :)

Maybe Microsoft plans to buy Epic and now everyone is scared they will run them into the ground or won't let them make what they are good at anymore so they jump off before it's too late? (far-fetched, I know :D)

Well, I enjoyed UT99, UT2k4 and Jazz Jackrabbit 2 very much (didn't care for Gears though) so good luck on whatever he's planning to do after his break :)

xenist

Um...AAA big budget sequel churn is why he is able to leave Epic, he now has millions. Unless you were being sarcastic.

Why would I be sarcastic? He basically spent last year saying how he did not like the current design big games have and how games should be designed differently. Of course he made a ton of money. He also wasn't as into making the same stuff over and over. So, bored and tired at work+a ton of money=taking a break from the industry.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I don't think that Sweeney would sell Epic unless he just wants to take it easy. Like he sells the company, receives a boatload of money, then does his thing and if corporate overlords start making his life unbearable he just leaves.

Mastperf

What is this even supposed to mean? That Gears is basically Halo? Because it really, really isn't. Like, at all.

zSIRh.jpg

itsgreen

Well good for Cliffy... he probably could do any project he wanted at Epic so it really must be to spend more time with the 'old ball and chains' ;) But maybe there were internal problems, which probably means we'll seem he pop up somewhere soon, who knows.

Hopefully we'll see him again in a few years when he admits he couldn't leave the games industry because it flows through his veins.

What Cliff said in some interviews made me hopeful for something great for next-gen, but maybe it was just him expressing his disappointment to where the company is going.

RIP inventor of Half-Life Tournament 2004

japtor

Maybe he's seen that next-gen truly sucks ass and full of gimmicks. :(
Cliff said:
I'll be watching the Wii U closely. I think Nintendo may have initially lost a little of their core with the Wii for a bit, honestly, and they seem to have realized this. I believe they also recognize that we live in a "multi-screen" culture hence the controller design. I played ZombiU at PAX and it was promising (even though the controls could use a little loving!) so we'll have to wait and see.
Obviously he's making time for the Wii U launch, perhaps an excessive amount, but he's a big Nintendo fan after all.

Brashnir

Just because the man made millions it doesn't mean he can't be tired of the laborious process of AAA gaming.

Yeah, I can definitely envision a creative guy like Cliff getting fed up with the risk-averse nature of AAA game development, and wanting to stretch his wings a bit. Dude probably has a lot of ideas he can't get green-lit due to budgeting reasons.

Majanew

Banned
Dangit, Cliff. I wanted at least one game from you (and with Epic) on Xbox 8. Good luck and thanks for Gears -- it's awesome.

szaromir

Banned
Why would I be sarcastic? He basically spent last year saying how he did not like the current design big games have and how games should be designed differently. Of course he made a ton of money. He also wasn't as into making the same stuff over and over. So, bored and tired at work+a ton of money=taking a break from the industry.

Plus he probably has seen some long-time friends leaving Epic recently and decided it's time to move on with his life as well. I can't imagine working 20 years for the same company, I'd get bored.

.la1n

Just because the man made millions it doesn't mean he can't be tired of the laborious process of AAA gaming.

AAA gaming claiming another "victim" just seems a little hyperbolic to me. I have no doubt he is probably interested in other ventures given his outspoken nature as of late regarding the current state of gaming. I'll agree AAA development has claimed many studios because of the financial burden but honestly this just seems like a natural progression for the guy, he could easily not work on games of that nature at Epic but remain employed there, he has the pull to do exactly that. We are not talking about a low level employee. Sounds like to me that it is exactly what it is, he is getting out of gaming period for the immediate future to spend time doing other things he has neglected in the past.

xenist

I'll agree AAA development has claimed many studios because of the financial burden but honestly this just seems like a natural progression for the guy, he could easily not work on games of that nature at Epic but remain employed there, he has the pull to do exactly that.

First off, as "big" as he is he can't go "Fuck you guys and Gears X/Whatever Epic has post-Gears, I'm gonna go make mods for a couple of years. Keep the paychecks coming." Companies don't work that way. Except Valve I guess. What is he going to do, show up at the office, scratch his balls for eight hours and leave?

FStop7

Banned
List of people who left people in the last 2 month:

Cliff B.
Rod Fergusson
Lee Perry
Adrian Chmielarz + lead and principal artists
Demond Rogers
Aaron Smith
Mikey Spano
Martin Sweitzer
Matt Tonks

All these guys have worked with Epic for 5+ years. I think there is something going on at Epic.

Sounds like they're focusing on the UE engine business and getting out of the game development business.

.la1n

First off, as "big" as he is he can't go "Fuck you guys and Gears X/Whatever Epic has post-Gears, I'm gonna go make mods for a couple of years. Keep the paychecks coming." Companies don't work that way. Except Valve I guess. What is he going to do, show up at the office, scratch his balls for eight hours and leave?

You are correct I was implying he go into the office, tell them all to fuck off then proceed to scratch his testicles. I have never met anyone in the game development industry who oversaw products in a more hands off way who was able to clear up more free time doing so. Nope not a one.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Guess I got beaten to the "full time GAF poster" thing.

No offense to Cliffy but I wouldn't want to see him become a "consultant" to Japanese devs - let Japanese devs make their own thing instead of trying to chase those western sales. Seems every time Japanese devs "westernize" they lose a bit of the soul that made their older games so great.

UT 99, 2004 and Jazz Jackrabbit were pretty awesome games. So thank you for those great games Cliffy. I've always been a fan of older Epic, just couldn't much get into Gears.

I'm sure he'll be back in games development at some point, maybe to try his luck with that open-world Unreal (now spiritual) successor.

xenist

You are correct I was implying he go into the office, tell them all to fuck off then proceed to scratch his testicles. I have never met anyone in the game development industry who oversaw products in a more hands off way who was able to clear up more free time doing so. Nope not a one.

He explicitly said that the type of big games being made didn't interest him anymore. For what reason would he still want to work on one, especially while having enough money to just leave?

monome

Sounds like they're focusing on the UE engine business and getting out of the game development business.

Oh, I think you're more to the point than you think...

Unreal makes making games unhuman.
Probably to the point where actual human input is being less and less necessary or more and more complicated to implement.

I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up at Microsoft.

We hear nothing from him for a while, then he rocks up on stage next E3 hyping the next Xbox.

Azih

I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up at Microsoft.

We hear nothing from him for a while, then he rocks up on stage next E3 hyping the next Xbox.

Honestly is it hard to believe that he's just tired of working in games? He's incredibly rich and can do whatever he wants. Maybe he just wants to chill and spend time with his family, maybe he wants to help save the world or start a microbrewery like one or the other of the Bioware doctors. People burn out, people want a change etc.

Top Bottom