• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cliffy B departs Epic - Takes break from industry - GAF writes disturbing fan fiction

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Wait whut.
Best of wishes lad, and enjoy what you could make the best time of your life with your wife and dogs! ^_^

Drencrom

I may not like everything Epic has put out over the years (love UT) but I have a lot of respect for Cliff.

Bless you CliffyB, you magnificent bastard.

Cliff Bleszinski did a lot of good things for gaming in general and quite a few things for PC gaming in particular. Nevertheless, I will still not forgive him for this:

http://voices.yahoo.com/cliff-bleszinski-says-pc-gaming-disarray-1038715.html

At a time when PC gaming was under severe pressure from pretty much every competing platform, some PC gaming figures chose to stick with the platform, support it and eventually fight back. Cliff (and many others who made a fortune through PC gaming) chose instead to help spread the "PC gaming is dying" myth and actually made things worse, as his opinion carries a lot of weight.

Feindflug

List of people who left people in the last 2 month:

Cliff B.
Rod Fergusson
Lee Perry
Adrian Chmielarz + lead and principal artists
Demond Rogers
Aaron Smith
Mikey Spano
Martin Sweitzer
Matt Tonks

All these guys have worked with Epic for 5+ years. I think there is something going on at Epic.

Yep looks like something is going on...I was totally shocked by these news to be honest.

Hopefully Gears is in good hands now that Cliff and Rod left Epic...also good luck Cliff with that you'll do in the future! :)

Cliff Bleszinski did a lot of good things for gaming in general and quite a few things for PC gaming in particular. Nevertheless, I will still not forgive him for this:

At a time when PC gaming was under severe pressure from pretty much every competing platform, some PC gaming figures chose to stick with the platform, support it and eventually fight back. Cliff (and many others who made a fortune through PC gaming) chose instead to help spread the "PC gaming is dying" myth and actually made things worse, as his opinion carries a lot of weight.

You know, I remember that article. I remember reading it and thinking "wow, this guy is not particularly good at comprehending simple statements" and instead seems to prefer to blow them up to something else entirely.

Seems to me that you also took one mans honest opinion as something much more, and for some reason hold it against him.

Seems to me that you also took one mans honest opinion as something much more, and for some reason hold it against him.

I don't doubt that it was his honest opinion. I'm just saying that I would have expected a vote of support at that time from someone who earned a lot of money making PC games.

Valnen

I don't doubt that it was his honest opinion. I'm just saying that I would have expected a vote of support at that time from someone who earned a lot of money making PC games.

Just because he earned a lot of money on them in the past before that doesn't mean the signs looked good at the time. You can't blind yourself to the truth of a situation because in the past everything was fine.

TUROK

So he should have denied any sort of "disarray" in the PC gaming realm in order to get people not to believe the "PC gaming is dying" "myth?"

Surprising even more because we're leading up to a wild time in the industry with the release of next generation and all. I know I'd want to stick around, especially with a company like Epic that's going to have one of the more popular engines for next generation likely.

You can see various times where Cliff says he wanted to get away from certain things that Gears created (even in one of the latest Gametrailers Bonus Round episodes). I don't think he could stand for being the spokesperson for another iteration, even if Judgement isn't entirely by Epic.

Something tells me it's either a temporary leave from Epic or the industry in general. The relaxed manner the other Epic higher ups speak seems like this is all figured out before hand. Or maybe there was some kind of conflict. Who knows.

You can't blind yourself to the truth of a situation because in the past everything was fine.

But it turns out that it wasn't the truth of the situation, was it? Even if we assume that it was, at that specific point in time, there are always two roads to take: Make things worse by piling on the pressure or help to improve the situation. He chose the former.

Surprising even more because we're leading up to a wild time in the industry with the release of next generation and all. I know I'd want to stick around, especially with a company like Epic that's going to have one of the more popular engines for next generation likely.

You can see various times where Cliff says he wanted to get away from certain things that Gears created. I don't think he could stand for being the spokesperson for another iteration, even if Judgement isn't entirely by Epic.

Something tells me it's either a temporary leave from Epic or the industry in general. The relaxed manner the other Epic higher ups speak seems like this is all figured out before hand. Or maybe there was some kind of conflict. Who knows.

I'm sure Cliff will be back all refreshed and ready to venture into the exciting world of next generation of mobile and social facebook gaming. Prepare yourself for Jazz Jackrabbit's Gardening Adventures.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I’ve been doing this since I was a teenager, and outside of my sabbatical last year, I have been going non-stop. I literally grew up in this business, as Mike likes to say. And now that I’m grown up, it’s time for a much needed break.

so he's been going non-stop, like most people that have jobs, other than his sabbatical which was just last year, which is unlike most people that have jobs. His job is something he loves - again unlike most people's jobs which are there to pay the rent.

I'm going to take a break. I've earned it. I'm sure the kids will step up and pull their weight while I'm learning to understand who I am. Perhaps they'll clean chimneys.

seriously though, as jealous as I am, I hope whatever he goes off to do refreshes him and he comes back with something cool.

So he should have denied any sort of "disarray" in the PC gaming realm in order to get people not to believe the "PC gaming is dying" "myth?"

He could have helped out. I would have liked him to show some support for the platform that helped him on his way up, we could have said something like "it's true that PC gaming is not on its height right now, but I think it can bounce back and Epic is going to continue to offer support for the platform". That's also stating an opinion, without the doom&gloom.

But it turns out that it wasn't the truth of the situation, was it? Even if we assume that it was, at that specific point in time, there are always two roads to take: Make things worse by piling on the pressure or help to improve the situation. He chose the former.

If Cliff came out with his hair on fire and started screaming "PC GAMING IS FUUUCKED" I might agree with you. He didn't, though, and in fact took probably took the most honest route possible at the time. Hindsight is alwablah blah blah whatever, his words accurately reflected the situation at the time and, if you ask me, having a luminary like him come out and talk like he did probably did more to help than hinder.

If you would like to continue clinging onto such fragile threads of misinterpreted hate for some reason, by all means, do so. I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to gain from it.

Orca

Are you taking just his quote or attributing the entire article to him? His quote doesn't really say any of the things you're saying it does. He even affirms the platform remains important to Epic, but that consoles would be the primary focus - obviously, though not outright said, because that was where the money was.

Edit - Between this and the Notch thread I'm starting to see a pattern in your post style.

If Cliff came out with his hair on fire and started screaming "PC GAMING IS FUUUCKED" I might agree with you. He didn't, though, and in fact took probably took the most honest route possible at the time.

What I expected from him was to give a helping hand to the platform. Saying that "PC gaming is in disarray" is just what the rest of the gaming media wanted to come up with sensationalist headlines, at a time when bashing on PC gaming was the cool thing to do. I don't hate him at all, but as a person who paid for a lot of his earlier games I was disappointed to see that he chos o act differently.

Are you taking just his quote or attributing the entire article to him?

The quote was unfortunate, because it gave the media a chance to use it as a headline.

What I expected from him was to give a helping hand to the platform. Saying that "PC gaming is in disarray" is just what the rest of the gaming media wanted to come up with sensationalist headlines, at a time when bashing on PC gaming was the cool thing to do. I don't hate him at all, but as a person who paid for a lot of his earlier games I was disappointed to see that he chos o act differently.

It's only sensationalist when it's spun like that by fools like you. Compared to almost anything else being said by anyone who had anything to do with PC gaming at that time it was remarkably tame.

Just come out and say you wanted him to fucking lie through his teeth about everything, because that is what your angling for with all these posts.

Just come out and say you wanted him to fucking lie through his teeth about everything, because that is what your angling for with all these posts.

He could have presented his opinion in a different way, so that gaming media wouldn't get the chance to use a headline-grabbing quote. On a personal level, I wanted him to show a little more faith in the platform and maybe help it out during a difficult time.

Compared to almost anything else being said by anyone who had anything to do with PC gaming at that time it was remarkably tame.

http://www.sk-gaming.com/content/17150-Valve_laughs_at_PC_gaming_is_dying_story

Same year as Clifford's quote.

amar212

I see him at Kojima Productions, running LA Studio or something similar.

It was inevitable.

Can't say I am exactly excited for that, but time will tell.

Perkel

Banned
Looks like something is going in Epic. There is no way that much people just leaved because they fed up with games.

It's probably buyout of Epic by Activision or EA.

Mastperf

He could have helped out. I would have liked him to show some support for the platform that helped him on his way up, we could have said something like "it's true that PC gaming is not on its height right now, but I think it can bounce back and Epic is going to continue to offer support for the platform". That's also stating an opinion, without the doom&gloom.

Developers made the platform, not the other way around. PC would have been a very different platform without companies like Epic and id.

Good luck Cliffy. I think you're doing the right thing. Take some extended time off while you're young and have the resources to do so. Most of us will have to wait until we are old and decrepit to do the same.
Oh yeah if your cleaning off your desk and want to get rid of anything pm me. I have had a Gears avatar for 3-4 years now after all. =D

Developers made the platform, not the other way around. PC would have been a very different platform without companies like Epic and id.

Chicken and egg scenario. But even if that was the case, you would expect a guy that helped build a successful platform to be willing to help out or at the very least avoid badmouthing it.

Harlock

With the american studios losing your head talents, I am afraid they go the same path of japanese studio, doing the same thing over and over.

Cliffy made my favourite games of all time in UT99, 2k3 and 2k4. Cliffy B's ownage was great back in the day. Gears wasn't too shabby either.

Good luck to him in the future.

xenist

And the "AAA" big budget sequel churn claims another victim.

Wasn't the biggest fan or recent Epic but the stuff he was talking about lately concerning game design really resonated with me.

Top Bottom