• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CliffyB on Saint’s Row: “Lose the gimps and dildos” to beat GTA

DaBuddaDa

cliffyb.jpg

Cliffy B isn't lashing out at Saints Row...he's lashing out...at himself.

Swifty

I do think that open world city games with cynical and satirical takes on American society are getting a bit overdone. I don't think Saints Row needs to be the one to break the mold but I sure am ready for something serious like Watchdogs.

Let GTA be the michael man game and saints row be the action movie spoof with competent fx. GTA needs to trim out allllll the useless shit, so acting like bay or Michael mann movie would probably be good for them especially if the length was only about 6 hours. gives us 40 hours of content but not 40 hours of overwrought storyline bloated with shit.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
The publishers went out of their way to make it all about the dildo. The promotional materials they sent all the major media outlets included a purple dildo bat. So yep, if the game is perceived as "That dildo game", it's intentional.

Yeah I figured

because I haven't even played the game yet but when I think of Saint's Row I can almost perfectly picture its floppy purple physics lol

So yeah Bleszinski's comments definitely come off as misguided advice since I don't think they're struggling to deal with this identity

Montresor

Didn't Cliff direct the three Gears of Wars? I think that gives him lots of credibility. This is directed at the fellow that said Cliff should direct a game of note or keep his mouth shut. Gears is pretty noteworthy. Maybe it's not for you but it's a great third-person shooter with buttery smooth, beautiful controls.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Yep, any game without dildo's is a generic action game. That's definitely what he said.

Jeez, some people just gotta go to the extremes.

"B-but, without dildo's, this game is entirely generic."

Yeah, it's really not.

The offensive part of his off base wishes are turning it into the dry kind of shit GTA IV is being derided for. People clutching at the dildo quote have missed the point, somewhat, but it is rather systematic of Cliffy B's evaluation of the game and, has already been said in the thread, is a problem of the marketing department and not the game itself.

Right. Which, in that post your quoting, is the thing I'm saying I really loved about SR3.

I thought GTA4 was a middling game that satisfied neither the Hollywood cinematic element, nor the enjoyable gameplay element. SR3 and Sleeping Dogs are both experiences on different ends of the spectrum that did it way, way better. You're preaching to the choir.

But this supports Cliffy B's point in that GTA is considered the serious game and there's plenty of room for SR to overtake it if they put the effort in. Especially considering that the mechanics are already superior.

Everyone is ignoring the pink elephant in the room.

No one is going to beat GTA to begin with. No other sandbox title is going to sell 25 million units.

Does SR have to sell more units to "beat" GTA? We have a huge thread here on GAF that suggests that Xenoblade beats every Final Fantasy put out this Gen and we know Xenoblade didn't come close to FF numbers.

Why would Saints Row get rid of the humor that distinguishes them from GTA? Then they'd just be another GTA clone?

And is the guy who made Gears of War talking about games that are embarrassing to be seen playing? That is rich.

Why is because the driving takes some getting used to, at least for me it did. It says something about the game that I still play online GTA races because I dig the way the cars handle.
Well it does take some getting used to. But just because something takes adjustment doesn't mean its difficult. I think the reason I needed to adjust is because I didn't feel like it controlled well. Once I realized how it worked it wasn't hard to do, but I also didn't ever end up having fun doing it.

But hey, its all opinions man. No one is right, its just preferences.

Zaventem

I do think that open world city games with cynical and satirical takes on American society are getting a bit overdone. I don't think Saints Row needs to be the one to break the mold but I sure am ready for something serious like Watchdogs.

Same.Even as "serious" as some people here think GTAIV is we don't have an open world serious game at the moment and i hope Watchdogs truely deliverers.

DangerStepp

It's tricky because I had the same point of view before actually playing SR3.

On the other hand, the silly objects are within the vein of the humor the game embraces.

It's the equivalent of watching Meatballs, Caddyshack, or a Rodney Dangerfield movie of that ilk and ridiculing the crude jokes and nudity.

UrbanRats

Yep, any game without dildo's is a generic action game. That's definitely what he said.

Jeez, some people just gotta go to the extremes.

"B-but, without dildo's, this game is entirely generic."

Yeah, it's really not.
He did say "go for that Michael Mann/Collateral/Heat style", though.
Which is EXACTLY what R* has been doing since forever.

it18XIHGAefNj.jpg

Didn't Cliff direct the three Gears of Wars? I think that gives him lots of credibility. This is directed at the fellow that said Cliff should direct a game of note or keep his mouth shut. Gears is pretty noteworthy. Maybe it's not for you but it's a great third-person shooter with buttery smooth, beautiful controls.

For writing and content? Are you baked? GoW has to be some of the worst dialogue known to man. It's certainly not even better than a random dildo I can tell you that much.

Marleyman

Banned
Well it does take some getting used to.

That is what I was trying to say originally.

Zen_Arcade said:
But just because something takes adjustment doesn't mean its difficult. I think the reason I needed to adjust is because I didn't feel like it controlled well. Once I realized how it worked it wasn't hard to do, but I also didn't ever end up having fun doing it.

Fair enough.

Zen_Arcade said:
But hey, its all opinions man. No one is right, its just preferences.

Yep; pretty much.

Marleyman

Banned
I enjoy both as well. GTA is probably my favorite game series in terms of sheer hours played.

And posters like this:

Well, I thought that SR3 was a step back in the series. I thought the city was bland and boring, which is no good in an open world title like this. I missed Freckle Bitches, smoking and drinking and the toned down storyline.

Montresor

For writing and content? Are you baked? GoW has to be some of the worst dialogue known to man.

Ah I see we're talking exclusively about writing?

It was mediocre but worst dialogue seems like hyperbole.

I just didn't like the whole aggressive "cliffy b should shut the the fuck up" when he is responsible for some of the best games of this gen IMO, though now I do get you're just talking about his writing.

I think Gears's tone and story was serious and gritty enough to be a step above dildos though.

MMaRsu

Banned
As much as I love Bulletstorm, it's the exact same type of dumb humor. Look at your own games first Cliffy.

Ah I see we're talking exclusively about writing?

It was mediocre but worst dialogue seems like hyperbole.

I just didn't like the whole aggressive "cliffy b should shut the the fuck up" when he is responsible for some of the best games of this gen IMO, though now I do get you're just talking about his writing.

I think Gears's tone and story was serious and gritty enough to be a step above dildos though.

IDK maybe Cliff has an entirely different point on how things should be perceived, but unless his own games even remotely extend beyond that line of ridiculous fantasy, whether he wrote it or not, he has no business critiquing anything anybody else does in this same line.

pvpness

Gross display of insecurity CliffyB. SR is a video game with a protagonist that is indestructible and knows it. That shouldn't change and it sets the tone the whole way through.

I could stand to lose that stuff, it wouldn't matter to me too much. In retrospect SR3 may have overdone it a bit. But cutting out the dildos and the purple suits would not somehow propel the SR series to better sales than GTA; its just not even a realistic possibility.

Zaventem

I see the GTA players still haven't defended their position as to why GTA isn't juvenile.

This:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi6FF-TQFKg

In a game that pretends to be high art. Please spare me.

I don't think any GTA game pretends to be high art,well unless you compare it to Saints Row then it's The Garden of Earthly Delights in video game form.And i don't see what's wrong with a mission of nico going after a homophobe.Saint Row fans are the only ones trying to force this Family Guy branded humor on everyone.

rObit

Banned
I disagree with pretty much everything he said, but I also think a lot of people in this thread are selling Cliff short. The man, or at least the games that he has been the face of, have been very influential to the industry. Having said that, the Saints Row franchise absolutely does NOT need to tone itself down and compete directly with GTA or GTA clones at large. There is a place for the juvenile type of humor that SR3 brings to the table, and in fact GTA occupied that space prior to 4. I also don't think that grown people need to be embarrassed about enjoying that kind of humor, so long as it is executed well.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
I don't think any GTA game pretends to be high art,well unless you compare it to Saints Row then it's The Garden of Earthly Delights in video game form.And i don't see what's wrong with a mission of nico going after a homophobe.Saint Row fans are the only ones trying to force this Family Guy branded humor on everyone.

Sorry, what?

Mxrz

This is silly. Nobody is saying you have to like Saints Row or its humor. We're just saying we, who do, do not want our game to change its tone. We have Sleeping Dogs, Grand Theft Auto, and probably some others already. We want Saints Row to stay Saints row.

If Cliffy or anyone thinks the rest of the game is so well done to begin with, but is being held back by the silliness. Then maybe he should ask those other games to improve on their own elements to be on par with Saints.

Because the actual content of the mission is homophobic, especially in Florian's character.
Much as I love GTA 4, this bit bothered me some. Not because of homosexuality or anything like that, but more than it seemed like a lazy, forced attempt compared to everything else. My impression has always been Rockstar wasn't entirely confident how to handle it and they just sort of went with the easy route.

I agree with him. That kind of unfunny "comedy" is what made me avoid the series until I kept hearing all the buzz about The Third. Now it's one of my favorite games ever, but the "goofy for the sake of being goofy" stuff should be cut for #4.

Kusagari

So a group of fans telling people to let Saints Row be what it is and to not change the tone are forcing their humor on everyone? Wow I didn't know Saints Row fans were so powerful a group.

2pmu4z.jpg

How exactly is this on the developers or on the game itself? Why did he all of a sudden decide to have something vocal to say about this franchise when the third game has been out for almost two years and the fate of the fourth is up in the air (is it?).

Yeah but how do you go from one of the best multiplayer games of this generation to one of the shittiest with gears 2? It's utterly baffling to me. How the fuck can you screw something up so badly.

Gears 3 MP is a piece of shit.

Can't really comment on either, I was referring to the SP specifically. Haven't played GeOW 2 MP and only played the GeOW 3 MP beta... haven't even tried horde mode! :/

Top Bottom