• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CliffyB on Saint’s Row: “Lose the gimps and dildos” to beat GTA

Dabanton

That is all fine and great! Until Cliffy fucking B writes or directs anything of any kind of artistic worth I am obliged to say he can shut the fuck up about this subject.

I think this is the biggest problem. If anyone other than Cliff B said this this thread would be a lot less crazy.

Well in that case what did you write that gives you the ability to talk about this subject?

I'm not talking about this subject on some open twitter line that makes GAF headlines but nice try and no thanks. And if I had, or had something to tell you about, I wouldn't be telling you here on GAF or twitter anyway.

MormaPope

Banned
I just don't think the driving or shooting were superior to GTA IV and the expansions. I think the hand to hand combat owns GTA, but GTA has never been about that.

For a lot of people those mechanics felt better in Sleeping Dogs. I agree with you though, the driving part especially.

Marleyman

Banned
The driving in GTA is seriously terrible. The physics are totally off. Sleeping Dogs had a variety of cars that all controlled differerently but comfortable to me. Even the parts where you jump off a car and highjack another one there is a great delay of control while you're slipping into the drivers seat where the car swerves and you have to settle the car down.

I actually went out of my way to drive to different points in the game even when I had the ability to hail a taxi and get there right away. The driving in GTAIV is one of
the reasons I stopped playing.

And while the shooting in Sleeping Dogs didn't blow me away it was way more serviceable then whenever I've played GTA.

The driving in GTAIV took some time to master but once you did it controlled exactly how you expected that particular car to control.

Totally agree. The whole reason I never gave this game a chance is because of the "run around with dildos" image they made for it. I may still pick it up eventually, but it's such a turn off to see this kind of crap in a game.

Epic has one less dildo, that's for sure. JOKES! I actually agree with him. I'm not sure he's right that ultimate success for SR came down to the infantile jokes. It's what attracted me to the series. He's definitely right that the gameplay mechanics own GTA's. It's simply a more fun experience to me. Now look at Sleeping Dogs. No dildos. It's gritty. I doubt it sold as well as SR did. It's great though.

Wait...isn't Cliffy still looking for a job?

I doubt he's looking. Deciding on which job to take (or create) is more like it.

Mxrz

I find it interesting to see the different reactions to a subject like this. I'm sure we all read the many Spike TV VGA threads last year and the year before that. Most people and I imagine a few in this thread were decrying how the VGA's were trying too hard and how embarrassing and juvenile they were for gamers everywhere.

Saints Row 3 is the VGA's in game form. Crude, juvenile and dumb. An unfocused scattershot approach to humour to see what sticks.

I personally don't care if the game has a purple dildo, but you can't be posting how ashamed you are as a gamer as someone gets teabagged on stage then jump onto a game playing on the same sense of 'wacky' 'humour'.

Dude.

One is real life with real people, all acting like corporate shills on tv, and saying they represent the Industry and the fans, all while doing moronic stuff written and designed by a committee of soulless marketing drones that spend more time on facebook than with a controller in their hands.

The other is a video game designed for those of us who want a completely whacky absurd, nonsensical, sandbox without any pretentious notions of meeting some ostensible moral standard that someone else dreamed up.

LuchaShaq

Banned
No i want them to be 100% different in tone.

Give me Saint's Row with the most outlandish stupid shit ever.

Give me serious as fuck GTA without the bullshit jetpack/helicopter/rocket launcher bullshit people seem to love even though it sucks.

The closer both games go towards the middle the worse off they are in quality.

Marleyman

Banned
For a lot of people those mechanics felt better in Sleeping Dogs. I agree with you though, the driving part especially.

It is very fashionable to hate on GTAIV and subsequently sucking off Sleeping Dogs around here; I get that and will be in the minority with how I feel about both games.

njean777

The man who made a chainsaw gun popular says we should take dildos out of Saints Row to be more serious.... right Cliffy, PREACH.

And we can probably find the same people who dismissed bulletstorm as shit writing defending saints row writing in this thread.

Doubt it.

I mean I am sorry but this is like the Farrelly brothers complaining, or giving advice, to the people who made American Pie. Seriously, what the fuck is the point? Dildo or no dildo this game is not selling any better.

Kusagari

And we can probably find the same people who dismissed bulletstorm as shit writing defending saints row writing in this thread.

I'll defend both.

Bulletstorm has some of the best writing you'll find in a shooter.

Sucks people dismissed it off the demo.

I agree witrh him that we need something like Michael Mann movies. But I fear not a single developer could do it.

Meanwhile a game like Saint's Row is just that stupid, crazy fun. There's place in films for that and there's place for it on games.

The driving in GTAIV took some time to master but once you did it controlled exactly how you expected that particular car to control.
Just because you eventually learn how to control a car that drives poorly doesn't mean the driving is good. It just means you learned how to control a badly designed gameplay aspect. I didn't find it difficult to control the driving in GTA, its not a question of learning curve or difficulty, its a question of it being well designed in the first place. Which I don't think it is.

It's about as immature as the dialogue in Bulletstorm.
Yeah, that is true.

My inlaws were in town visiting when I was playing that game (borrowed it from a friend with very short arms so it was then or never).

Not that I personally had a problem with the dialogue because I didn't, but what an impression it made.

1edujd.jpg

2pmu4z.jpg

3usu91.jpg

6aou9x.jpg

4pou9i.jpg

52gukq.jpg

http://www.vg247.com/2013/01/25/bleszinski-on-saints-row-lose-the-gimps-and-dildos-to-beat-gta/

They have several other tweets by him on the subject. But I think those above give a good idea of where he's coming from.

agree with everything he said, especially the Michael Mann/Heat part

I'll defend both.

Bulletstorm has some of the best writing you'll find in a shooter.

Sucks people dismissed it off the demo.

My god that is such bull and makes gaming look retarded. For a shooter? Not even and I am not even sure what standards have been set if any.

Marleyman

Banned
Just because you eventually learn how to control a car that drives poorly doesn't mean the driving is good. It just means you learned how to control a badly designed gameplay aspect. I didn't find it difficult to control the driving in GTA, its not a question of learning curve or difficulty, its a question of it being well designed in the first place. Which I don't think it is.

Somehow I don't believe that, but obviously we aren't getting anywhere with this.

iammeiam

I think my problem is that he's basically saying "If you want Saints Row to sell better, make it not Saints Row." which might be a correct statement, but isn't necessarily something I want to see. It's not just the dildo--SR2 had that entire minigame centered around spraying the city with raw sewage. It reminds me of the Zero Punctuation review of SR2 that basically equates the main character to a comic-book villain. It is silly and fun and, yes, the humor is kind of raunchy and not something you'd want to play in front of people who don't find vulgar stuff funny, but that's what gives it its identity. Make a new game to be the serious Michael Mann movie, see if people want to buy it, but that sounds more like GTA than Saints Row.

I just don't want to see Saints Row turn into another Tomb Raider. Tomb Raider New Version could end up being a decent game for all I know, but it's not going to be the kind of game that originally gave the Tomb Raider series its identity.

agree with everything he said, especially the Michael Mann/Heat part

See, that was the only part of this (besides the hypocrisy of his statements about industry perception) that I flat-out disagreed with. The Volition of today have never shown any sign at being adept at pulling off a "serious" tone- look at Red Faction Armageddon- so why make them go down a road they have no business going down?

Besides, Rockstar kinda has a lid on the whole "being like movies" thing.

Kusagari

My god that is such bull and makes gaming look retarded. For a shooter? Not even and I am not even sure what standards have been set if any.

I'm not saying Bulletstorm is some crown achievement, but compared to CoD and the ilk it's a brilliant satire of shooting games. Anyone who looks beyond the dicktits will realize the game knows exactly what it's doing and poking fun at.

MormaPope

Banned
What are chodes?

Also, if it's fun to play, and with the amount of variety on offer, how does it become lame after 10 minutes?

This post is so confusing.

A penis that's wider than it's own length. I don't know how Saints Row fits that definition though.

bud23

LOL does Cliff ever mention "beating GTA"?

Yeah, Cliff has a great sense of humor. He must be joking.

Saints row needs a lot of more to beat GTA, actually they really need to reinvent the franchise from scratch not to beat GTA (this will never happen, obviously) , just to make the comparison a bit less embarrassing than now is for SR team.

Write GTA and SR in the same phrase is a bad dildo.

I'd be far more embarrassed with my wife if she thought I thought guns with chainsaws on them were cool than me possibly finding a dildo in a game humorous.

Yeah, fuck different tastes, let's get all the games boiled down to the same tan colored dude bro space marine shooter crap.

I'm not saying Bulletstorm is some crown achievement, but compared to CoD and the ilk it's a brilliant satire of shooting games. Anyone who looks beyond the dicktits will realize the game knows exactly what it's doing and poking fun at.

I can agree with that but the whole premise that he is arguing for a crazy cartoony game to become some serious film when he has done nothing even remotely of the sort is patently preposterous.

Again, it's like the Farrelly brothers trying to tell some dude making a comedy that he needs to be Scorsese. DOES NOT COMPUTE.

SmokyDave

SR3 is fun for 10 mins, then it gets lame as chodes

Yet somehow I put 90+ hours into the PC version, 40+ into the PS3 version and then bought the missus a copy for the 360 that she's put 30-odd hours into.

We must like chodes. Whatever they are.

Somehow I don't believe that, but obviously we aren't getting anywhere with this.
I believe it. I've never understood the criticism of the driving in GTA4, it's fucking awesome.

For open world driving physics / handling, I'd say it goes: GTA4>>>SR3>>>>>>>>>>>Sleeping Dogs. It's just a shame everything else in GTA4 was so boring. SR3 & Sleeping Dogs rock though.

He's right. You can keep the insane action, the great pacing, and over the top everything, but lose the immature stuff like swearing for the sake of swearing, gimp suits, and dildos. GTA:SA did that almost 10 years ago, late in the game, for a single mission, and that was it. That is what made it unique. When you throw that sort of immature "humor" into the game for ~5 hours of a 20 hour game, it gets tired fast.

Although.. Cliff could probably take some of his own advice. Got very tired of Bulletstorm and it's gratuitous and stupid use of swears just to seem edgier.

Setre

Please do the exact opposite of everything Cliffy B just said, Volition. I want a button mapped exclusively to a magical power that causes massive purple dildos to rain from the sky upon an enemy like a meteor shower.

I like this but let's go a step further. When it rains in game make the rain be dildos. The dildos will of course knock people down if they get hit plus everyone in game should be able to pick them up. That way random NPCs will attack each other with the dildos.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
It should still be in the game I think

but I'm not sure it should show up in marketing

If a game is known as "that game with the dildo", I think that's probably due in part to how the game was advertised to consumers

CliffyB addressing studios on twitter and presenting his personal views as advice for them is a pretty annoying though.

In a world where Just Cause 2 exists, I can't take complaints about crappy driving physics in any other open-world game seriously. :lol

I agree with him. If they ditched that stuff I personally would enjoy the game more. But unlike him, I don't find it funny. /stickler

:p

He's right. You can keep the insane action, the great pacing, and over the top everything, but lose the immature stuff like swearing for the sake of swearing, gimp suits, and dildos. GTA:SA did that almost 10 years ago, late in the game, for a single mission, and that was it. That is what made it unique. When you throw that sort of immature "humor" into the game for ~5 hours of a 20 hour game, it gets tired fast.

Although.. Cliff could probably take some of his own advice. Got very tired of Bulletstorm and it's gratuitous and stupid use of swears just to seem edgier.

You could say this about all videogames, and all of his at that. Oh wait, he had intense chainsaw murder to break up the abso-fucking-lutely obnoxious dialogue. PASS.

Damn...

Yeah, pretty much.

I'm color blind. That's not quite purple is it?

Between this and the dildo at his wedding, I'm having a hard time believing that Cliffy WOULDN'T make SR3 exactly as it is today. Seems right up his alley both in style and humor. I don't get it.

It should still be in the game I think

but I'm not sure it should show up in marketing

If a game is known as "that game with the dildo", I think that's probably due in part to how the game was advertised to consumers

The publishers went out of their way to make it all about the dildo. The promotional materials they sent all the major media outlets included a purple dildo bat. So yep, if the game is perceived as "That dildo game", it's intentional.

Top Bottom