• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CliffyB on Saint’s Row: “Lose the gimps and dildos” to beat GTA

2 was ok but they took a lot out in 3 and went with even more 10 year old boy humor to cover up extremely poor mission design. At least 10 of the missions in the game were just the same boring activities you could do outside of the story, many others were really straightforward as far as design goes (go here murder 100 people) but they use immature humor to hide it.

I don't think that is what we're discussing here, and none of that compares to the mindnumbingly boring mission design of GTA 4.

Dyno

He doesn't want dildos in video games but he had a dildo at his wedding.

You know, it doesn't matter how classy and tasteful your wedding is, if you have a dildo in your wedding it's known as the wedding with the dildo in it.

As a side note The Penetrator is at least as good a weapon as the Lancer.

UrbanRats

Well, R* themselves seem to be shying away from the seriousness of GTAIV, with GTAV.
They won't get as crazy as Saint's Row (or even San Andreas) but still..

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
I agree, the gimps and dildos did the humour in Saints Row The Third a disservice.
I agree and I am a pretty filthy guy. I found the game too outlandish and not funny when it tried to be so juvenile. That was what turned me off to the game initially, though I stayed for the gameplay.

I also dislike the purple gangsta type of vibe, which is why I liked Sleeping Dogs so much. It was about crime, but it felt entirely different when compared to Saints Row, in terms of characters. I can't stand any of the Saints, barring the big dude they recruited in the third game. Everyone is over the top urban hip hop garish.

Derrick01

Banned
I don't think that is what we're discussing here, and none of that compares to the mindnumbingly boring mission design of GTA 4.

Well I've already explained that Cliffy is right but it goes further than just dildos and gimps since SA had those too. SR3 is really embarrassing with its attempts at humor and it comes off as trying way too hard. It doesn't need to copy GTA 4 to be a fun game since that game sucked too and was at the polar opposite side of the spectrum of SR3. There's a middle ground there and it's called San Andreas.

Patryn

Well I've already explained that Cliffy is right but it goes further than just dildos and gimps since SA had those too. SR3 is really embarrassing with its attempts at humor and it comes off as trying way too hard. It doesn't need to copy GTA 4 to be a fun game since that game sucked too and was at the polar opposite side of the spectrum of SR3. There's a middle ground there and it's called San Andreas.

So you're actually saying that SR should return to being a direct GTA clone (albeit of an earlier title in the series) and not be its own thing?

Really? I thought that Cliffy B made a few decent shooters, a couple of awesome ones, and Jazz Jackrabbit (I didn't play that one though). Glad he has an opinion, but it sounds like his sense of what his likes and dislikes are determining what he think would sell, here.

And SR3 was hiliarious. WTF, dude. I wouldn't play it when my kids are awake, but my wife would laugh her ass off watching me slap someone with 'dat dildo.

2pmu4z.jpg

What about just embarrassed in general? I turned Gears off for good in the Dom's Wife segment.

6aou9x.jpg

Neither does having a stereotyped black character with an absolutely racist name in a setting that's "not Earth".

Fuck Cliffy B.

And I don't even care for Saints Row.

Derrick01

Banned
So you're actually saying that SR should return to being a direct GTA clone (albeit of an earlier title in the series) and not be its own thing?

It's still a GTA clone because it's an open city game that is mission focused, it's just a really poor one that gets a bit worse each game.

Voice of Reason said:
It's also gonna beat 2013's GTA.

Sleeping Dogs? Not a chance.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Then again, there was a dildo in San Andreas.

And... we're done here.

Good job, Junior. :)

Suffice it to say, Cliffy is wrong because GTA:SA was pretty popular even with the dildo included with it.

What he wants is a more serious take with GTA. And that's what GTA4-5 delievered. Saints Row's direction is to be more like GTA3:VC/SA in absurdity and that's what works for it.

Really, if he wants a more mature Saints Row, go play GTA5. :/

zychi

Banned
"Gears of War is one of the best shooters I've played on consoles. It's a shame that the game is known as THAT shooter game with terrible netcode."

Basically make your games better before criticizing others Cliffy. Your track record also needs to be larger than two series. Unreal, and Gears, both were basically copy and pasted sequels.

At least SR has developed from 1 to 3. It's really a shame that I played more SR3 than Gears 3 and I loved Gears 1.

Zaventem

Even without the dildos SR3 would be horrible.It's BL2 "humor" taken to the next level.The type of people who still say noob and add z's at the end or words and use leet speak are the demographics for Saints Row.Volition best games are borderline average so them beating GTA is hilarious no matter how positive cliffy meant those words.

The type of people who still say noob and add z's at the end or words and use leet speak are the demographics for Saints Row.

It's not a stretch to say that SR is aimed at the lowest common denominator. But that's the games business for you.

The same people who play SR3 also play Gears.

MormaPope

Banned
And... we're done here.

Good job, Junior. :)

Suffice it to say, Cliffy is wrong because GTA:SA was pretty popular even with the dildo included with it.

What he wants is a more serious take with GTA. And that's what GTA4-5 delievered. Saints Row's direction is to be more like GTA3:VC/SA in absurdity and that's what works for it.

Really, if he wants a more mature Saints Row, go play GTA5. :/

Eh, not really.

The PS2 era GTA's were really light hearted and filled with relevant pop culture in both design and environment. Saints Row 1&2 were farces on gang life and being a gangbanger, with jabs at modern city life. Saints Row 3 is it's own oddball category of humor and design.

The humor and design in both IP's is distinct.

For some reason that's a crowning achievement to parade around for a lot of people. Even though some of those same people detested and loathed GTA IV they treat it like it's a worthy adversary for whatever reason.

I'm sure it will for some people, for a lot of people it probably won't. Sorry.

I love GTA and while many hated GTA4, I loved it, but at the same time GTA's game play mechanics hasn't change since GTA3, they hit it big and just kept repeating the same game play with new characters and new city, if they try that shit with GTA5 then Sleepings Dogs wins..

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Dildo's embarrassing. Chainsawing a man in half while your character screams FUCK YEA acceptable.

Americans.

jkanownik

The most offensive parts of Saints Row 3 were the marketing slogan "Strap It On" and the weak ass DLC. I like Cliffy B and Jason Rubin, but I think they are misguided here. Many rational people find Saints Row less offensive than GTA. My wife does not like GTA at all, but she has played hundreds of hours of Saints Row with me.

My favorite moment in Saints Row 3 was when my wife told me to stop messing around with my dildo and Burt Reynolds and help her out. Of course I promptly starting beating her with the dildo. She then shot me with a rocket launcher and knocked me off a bridge getting the last laugh. Afterwards she asked me how can a toilet even swing a dildo bat?

I like to look at it this way: Saints Row has more in common with Dave Chappelle than it does Howard Stern. It is not shocks simply for their shock factor. The dildo bat is so absurd that it stops being offensive. Of course I'm talking about the game itself, not the marketing.

Although, all this dildo talk has inspired me to write some Saints Row fan fiction that Cliffy and Jason might find a little more acceptable.

myfanfic said:
Saints 4 starts out with the Saints falling on hard times. Nationwide push back on assault weapons and large magazines has made their work rough. After a string of failed robberies with 10 magazine hand guns they are forced to start a reality TV show to pay the mortgage on their HQ. The reality TV show features C list celebrities trying out for the Saints.

A later cut scene where Pierce and the player are sitting in the Saints Row HQ:

Pierce is sitting on a couch opening mail next to a 400 pound Glen Beck who is this week's contestant.

Pierce opening up mail: "Damn our ARM rate just jumped 1%. We need some to start making some extra money."

Glen Beck makes a comment about the government stealing the money of hard working men.

Player walks into scene with the dildo bat.

Pierce freaks out: "What are you doing? We can't show that on TV. We can't afford to lose our show. You're killing me here."

Player says he will fix it on walks off screen.

Player walks back on screen and the dildo is pixelated.

Pierce freaks out again.

Player calms Pierce and shows him the screen with the pixelation on it.

Pierce goes back to opening mail and bitching about bills, money problems and the idiots he has to work with.

While the camera is on a close up of Pierce the pixelated dildo enters the shot and rubs across Pierce's cheek repeatedly.

Pierce freaks out again and storms off.

Quick shot of Glen Beck playing with dildo bat.

End scene. For the rest of the game the dildo bat is pixelated.

The two best ways to improve Saints Row would be to invest more money in the writing to make it even better and put experienced marketing people on it with a strong history of speaking to mass audiences.

I'm sorry, but this guy is seriously some fucking random dude who made it in games. Congrats. A fucking dildo is a fucking dildo. This isn't 19 fucking 59.

Hey, Cliff, in 20 years we will all look back upon your own games as piles of shit that did absolutely nothing for anything. GREAT job! I mean, let's not go thinking your games will ever EVER matter. Because they ain't art, never will be, and hence nobody will ever give a flying fuck about them in any kind of future. They are violent, stupid, and somewhat fun mash-ups. The end. You want to make a game that matters? Get a fucking writer and a team who knows how to do something of any kind of serious quality beyond HEY BRO FUCK I JUST SHOT SOME DUDE FUCK WHAT DO WE DO NOW LET'S GO!

I'm not a CliffyB fan, but I agree entirely. One of the primary reasons I'll never play SR3 is because it's insanely juvenile humor. Like, written for 12 years olds who giggle at dildos and boobs.

UrbanRats

I love GTA and while many hated GTA4, I loved it, but at the same time GTA's game play mechanics hasn't change since GTA3, they hit it big and just kept repeating the same game play with new characters and new city, if they try that shit with GTA5 then Sleepings Dogs wins..

GTA4 didn't change gameplay mechanics from GTA3? What?
They are as similar as Sleeping Dogs is.
You drive, and you shoot or beat up things.

sub_o

No, don't try to beat GTA. Be your own thing, Saints Row. We love all those stupid jokes and dildos.

How about a drivable octopus with dildos as tentacles ? This one is free of charge, Volition.

Dizzy

Banned
San andreas had gimps and dildos and that was the pinnacle of the genre imo, and SR2 had crazy shit and it was the second best after san andreas.

That said it needs to be toned down. Sr3 was so over the top and in your face that it was hard to take it seriously. I think sr2 had a good balance. I wouldnt want the game to take itself too seriously and end up as boring as this gens gta games.

Baleoce

But really. Saints Row is supposed to be insane and off the rails and unbelievable, but most of all fun. It shouldn't try to out-GTA, GTA.

I haven't played SR3 yet but I wonder if my embarrassment level would be as high as when I, a grown man played Kingdom Hearts II.

Goofy and the fact that I had a huge mustard stain on my shirt was not helping my situation at all.

MormaPope

Banned

What mechanics in Sleeping Dogs are new? Eating pork buns and jumping out of a moving car to highjack a different car?

Sleeping Dogs is a really polished alternative GTA. It borrows heavily and for the most part the mechanics felt tight and fun enough to keep people interested. So far GTA V is a huge departure from past GTA's due to the character swapping on the fly while exploring and at times swapping between protagonists during missions.

Sure, that element was taken from Driver San Francisco essentially, but the potential for that mechanic alone could make the open world genre feel fresh again.

UrbanRats

Out of interest, what is racist about the name Cole Train?

I just thought it was a slightly clever play on the name Coltrane.

I had no idea either, maybe because it sounds like "Coal Train"?It would be a stretch though.
I am not a native english speaker though, so maybe there's a more exoteric meaning.

Arnie

I'm sorry, but this guy is seriously some fucking random dude who made it in games. Congrats. A fucking dildo is a fucking dildo. This isn't 19 fucking 59.

Hey, Cliff, in 20 years we will all look back upon your own games as piles of shit that did absolutely nothing for anything. GREAT job! I mean, let's not go thinking your games will ever EVER matter. Because they ain't art, never will be, and hence nobody will ever give a flying fuck about them in any kind of future. They are violent, stupid, and somewhat fun mash-ups. The end. You want to make a game that matters? Get a fucking writer and a team who knows how to do something of any kind of serious quality beyond HEY BRO FUCK I JUST SHOT SOME DUDE FUCK WHAT DO WE DO NOW LET'S GO!

Jesus, why are you so angry?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I wouldn't want Saint's Row to lose it's sense of humor, since that's pretty much what makes it stand out in the crowded sandbox genre, but I did find SR3's style of humor to be a bit grating. I would hate to call the humor in the earlier games subtle, but their silly, but sometimes dark wanksta crime sagas were way more appealing than the over the top, self aware cartoony nonsense in The Third. It was like the unicorn gun that farts lasers in the last Red Faction game - does anyone above the age of 13 find that funny? It may not be easy, but you can be crass and farcical without being completely fucking stupid.

Top Bottom