• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CliffyB on Saint’s Row: “Lose the gimps and dildos” to beat GTA

Takuan

It's not Saint's Row once it starts taking itself seriously, but I can see what Cliff is trying to say. The actual game mechanics were terrific and a clear cut above its direct competitor. I have reservations about GTAV controlling as well as SR3.

6aou9x.jpg

Says the guy who made a game where you can chainsaw a person in half.

So a video game should not have content or themes that could be offensive or lame to someone other than the player?

What's dildos are his comments, which defy the most basic principle of artistic expression.

It's also gonna beat 2013's GTA.
Agreed. Unless they totally revamp GTA Sleeping Dogs is going to be better. The driving, shooting, and fighting is all pretty bad in GTA and it was all pretty great in Sleeping Dogs. And the gameplay isn't better in Sleeping Dogs because it was made four years after GTAIV, GTA gameplay has always been mediocre.

UrbanRats

What mechanics in Sleeping Dogs are new? Eating pork buns and jumping out of a moving car to highjack a different car?

Sleeping Dogs is a really polished alternative GTA. It borrows heavily and for the most part the mechanics felt tight and fun enough to keep people interested. So far GTA V is a huge departure from past GTA's due to the character swapping on the fly while exploring and at times swapping between protagonists during missions.

Sure, that element was taken from Driver San Francisco essentially, but the potential for that mechanic alone could make the open world genre feel fresh again.

Sleeping Dogs combat is straight out of Batman and jumping from car to car is straight out of Just Cause.
But the game is still fucking great, i just don't think, if we're talking about innovating the genre, it's a good contender.

I agree with you, basically.

I don't think people would really care if it wasn't actually funny in the process, which it largely is, or at least amusing in its absurdity.

I think it would only be a problem if it wasn't funny. Lose the dildos, it's like saying the movie Airplane is awesome, just lose the sight gags. I dont get it... Inappropriate humor is so good

Marleyman

Banned
I think he did himself a disservice by singling out the dildo. He should have focused on the ridiculous gang types, zombies that were lame, and the ever-changing main character..it just ruined it for me. I would prefer something in the tone of SR2.

So CliffyB's idea for Saints Row is to remove everything that has made it THQ's most successful IP?!? dafuq?!? No wonder he quit epic he's clearly lost a step if not his mind.

I bet he'd like to add more brown and grey hallways to it and make it more dudebro. What a miserable fucktard.

AlexM

all I know is every GTA game after 2 bored me to death so much i never bothered after about 10 hours. SR3 (which is my first SR game) was so good i finished it.

The dildo was optional and I never saw it during my playthough because it was an inferior weapon. Even then I dont give a fuck. I know from asking my wife that she also thought SR3 was way more fun to watch. She thought GTA4 was boring at every point she witnessed. Maybe CliffyB needs to stop stereotyping women.

Arcteryx

+1

I felt the latest iteration was absolutely shit. It was more of a "fuck around with purple dildos" game than an actual game game. Felt more like a Newgrounds flash game than anything else. The other SR games had the right amount of comedy mixed with a pretty fun playstyle(a more relaxed GTA).

What mechanics in Sleeping Dogs are new?

I think you were right when you said it's just really polished. It's hard for me to pin point why I like it so much compared to GTAIV or SR3 and the like, but generally I tell people that it's much more focused, the world feels a bit tighter and coherent. It's open world but doesn't necessarily feel like it.

UrbanRats

Agreed. Unless they totally revamp GTA Sleeping Dogs is going to be better. The driving, shooting, and fighting is all pretty bad in GTA and it was all pretty great in Sleeping Dogs. And the gameplay isn't better in Sleeping Dogs because it was made four years after GTAIV, GTA gameplay has always been mediocre.

I thought the driving in Sleeping Dogs was just ok, but the shooting was pretty shitty.
Combat was miles ahead of GTA's, though.

Still, the two games (seem, since GTAV isn't out yet) to go for very different scopes.

Arnie

It's his favorite game cut him some slack.

I genuinely didn't know Saints Row was anyone's favourite game.

I think he's got a point, to be honest. Dildo humour is bad for perceptions of the industry, that's an almost undeniable statement, which is causing people to passively aggressively attacks Cliff and the games he's made.

There's a difference between chainsawing a monster in half in an action game that centres around violence, and dildoing a man to death, or spraying poo out of a truck. One's intended to be funny, which is depressing.

I would love it personally if the next Saints Row game was all about the Saints wiping all violence and crudeness from the face of the Earth. The game starts with headshots and exploding punches and ends with you overpowering enemies with your smile and a warm hug.

There's a difference between chainsawing a monster in half in an action game that centres around violence, and dildoing a man to death, or spraying poo out of a truck. One's intended to be funny, which is depressing.

You can't NOT equate chainsawing a monster into a bloody pulp and bashing a man to death with a giant penis. They're both equally absurd.

Roq12

Neo Member
Well Biffy C is a smart guy, who has designed or co-designed a great number of games. I bet his insticts are pretty good. But then again, if dildos and purple suits are needed to stand out... Go for it.

Jesus, why are you so angry?

I'm sorry I am a little drunk. But please. Guy complaining about dildos being obscene and not accepted by some mass fucking gaming populace who makes games like GoW and Bulletstorm? Call me when I give a fucking shit or somebody has an OUNCE of any kind of artistic integrity.

Boogie Nights had a dildo. Guess what? One of the better and more artistic films made by a guy who is 40x higher on the totem pole then Cliffy B will ever be. Enough said. Sorry if I sound angry I am really honestly not angry. I just find this whole thing to be a load of complete and utter bullshit.

Marleyman

Banned

This is a load of shit. The driving was crap in SD in comparison to GTAIV even; shooting was abysmal. The only redeeming quality was the hand to hand combat.

Slayven

Johnny Gat >>>>>>Every GTA since San Andreas.

Boyz in the Hood can exist in the same universe as Don't be a Menace.

Mxrz

No, no, no, and no. Saints row does *not* need to become a more Mann/HEAT/Collateral/Training Day. Fuck no. Terrible, terrible idea and a surefire way to kill it.

Saint's Row filled the crazy void Rockstar left with GTA4. Its been an excellent balance. Being embarrassed because of your wife walked has little to do with the game, and sounds more about some insecurities.

No, no, no, and no. Saints row does *not* need to become a more Mann/HEAT/Collateral/Training Day. Fuck no. Terrible, terrible idea and a surefire way to kill it.

Saint's Row filled the crazy void Rockstar left with GTA4. Its been an excellent balance. Being embarrassed because of your wife walked has little to do with the game, and sounds more about some insecurities.

Exactly man.

Dabanton

I find it interesting to see the different reactions to a subject like this. I'm sure we all read the many Spike TV VGA threads last year and the year before that. Most people and I imagine a few in this thread were decrying how the VGA's were trying too hard and how embarrassing and juvenile they were for gamers everywhere.

Saints Row 3 is the VGA's in game form. Crude, juvenile and dumb. An unfocused scattershot approach to humour to see what sticks.

I personally don't care if the game has a purple dildo, but you can't be posting how ashamed you are as a gamer as someone gets teabagged on stage then jump onto a game playing on the same sense of 'wacky' 'humour'.

Why is that depressing? Lots of people find dick and fart jokes (so to speak) funny.

Baleoce

Absolutely this.

Eusis

The more I think about it, he really may just be thinking more about making it look respectable to the outside rather than what even he would actually want. Problem is I think it'd be too gameplay focused for most of those outsiders to really even care about anyway, managing to sell something like Heavy Rain that had a better plot and acting would probably do more to open eyes up. And maybe the ability to hide trophy notifications since that can undermine an experience, though I'm guessing both of the next systems will be good there or at least Sony's will be given the Vita's options.

I can't be the only one here who thinks it's kind of ridiculous for a guy known for Gears of War and Unreal - two series that made the the oversized space marine trope so popular is calling for maturity in gaming? It's not like we're talking about the guy who made Spec Ops: The Line or anything.

MormaPope

Banned
what does this even mean? as if the time difference is somehow supposed to lessen the merit of a really good game? or that a game can't be held up as the competing standard because of the year it came out?

The bolded matters. Sleeping Dogs has better mechanics than GTA IV, which shouldn't be surprising considering how long and far this gen has been going. Hell, on a mechanical level Sleeping Dogs beats every 3D GTA.

Those facts being brought up don't make me think any more or less from both IP's, but for some people I guess it does. Personally though I'd still rank all the 3D GTA's above sleeping Dogs.

A more apt comparison would be is Sleeping Dogs better than Red Dead Redemption, since that's basically GTA 1912.

I find it interesting to see the different reactions to a subject like this. I'm sure we all read the many Spike TV VGA threads last year and the year before that. Most people and I imagine a few in this thread were decrying how the VGA's were trying too hard and how embarrassing and juvenile they were for gamers everywhere.

Saints Row 3 is the VGA's in game form. Crude, juvenile and dumb. An unfocused scattershot approach to humour to see what sticks.

I personally don't care if the game has a purple dildo, but you can't be posting how ashamed you are as a gamer as someone gets teabagged on stage then jump onto a game playing on the same sense of 'wacky' 'humour'.

That is all fine and great! Until Cliffy fucking B writes or directs anything of any kind of artistic worth I am obliged to say he can shut the fuck up about this subject. (goes to hide dildo)

Takuan

all I know is every GTA game after 2 bored me to death so much i never bothered after about 10 hours. SR3 (which is my first SR game) was so good i finished it.

The dildo was optional and I never saw it during my playthough because it was an inferior weapon. Even then I dont give a fuck. I know from asking my wife that she also thought SR3 was way more fun to watch. She thought GTA4 was boring at every point she witnessed. Maybe CliffyB needs to stop stereotyping women.

My GF cracked up at the "These hoes ain't hoes" line.

Marleyman

Banned
The bolded matters. Sleeping Dogs has better mechanics than GTA IV, which shouldn't be surprising considering how long and far this gen has been going. Hell, on a mechanical level Sleeping Dogs beats every 3D GTA.

I just don't think the driving or shooting were superior to GTA IV and the expansions. I think the hand to hand combat owns GTA, but GTA has never been about that.

NinjaBoiX

Yes, make a generic action sandbox game, that's how you stick out from the crowd!
Yep, any game without dildo's is a generic action game. That's definitely what he said.

Jeez, some people just gotta go to the extremes.

"B-but, without dildo's, this game is entirely generic."

Yeah, it's really not.

This is a load of shit. The driving was crap in SD in comparison to GTAIV even; shooting was abysmal. The only redeeming quality was the hand to hand combat.
The driving in GTA is seriously terrible. The physics are totally off. Sleeping Dogs had a variety of cars that all controlled differerently but comfortable to me. Even the parts where you jump off a car and highjack another one there is a great delay of control while you're slipping into the drivers seat where the car swerves and you have to settle the car down.

I actually went out of my way to drive to different points in the game even when I had the ability to hail a taxi and get there right away. The driving in GTAIV is one of
the reasons I stopped playing.

And while the shooting in Sleeping Dogs didn't blow me away it was way more serviceable then whenever I've played GTA.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I liked SR3 a lot more than GTAIV. I really liked how SR3 didn't take itself too seriously and embraced its own ridiculousness. I thought GTAIV was too serious for its own good.

Yeah, we already have a million takes on that serious style of sandlot game which I don't mind (I loved Sleeping Dogs), but if there is another style that the genre can have that works, why not have it? I wouldn't want them all to be Sleeping Dogs and I'm glad that there is something different in the same genre. I'm even more excited that it's actually good. I like HEAT/Collateral/Training Day, but I like I'm Gonna Get You Sucka too/Austin Powers/Naked Gun/Airplane as well. I'm glad we have both styles.

Derrick01

Banned
That is all fine and great! Until Cliffy fucking B writes or directs anything of any kind of artistic worth I am obliged to say he can shut the fuck up about this subject.

Well in that case what did you write that gives you the ability to talk about this subject?

AlexM

yes, put it better than i could

Top Bottom