• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clint Hocking leaves LucasArts (Update: Now At Valve)

Derrick01

Banned
Linear story driven FPS games. Derrick likes Crysis and STALKER type games, IIRC.

It's not even that, their single player games just bore me and they don't make the kind of multiplayer games that I will play (TF2, L4D, counterstrike) since I don't do the whole PC style online FPS. I don't really know how to explain in detail because I never really thought about it in depth. I just know I don't like them.

this is great news. Far Cry 2 is great. If you disagree, whatever. You didn't get it. hehe..

the respawning checkpoints were a bunch of horseshit though. Chaos Theory, on the other hand, is a perfectly honed game.

A good place for him. Valve structure means his good ideas will be used, at the same time protecting him from being in charge of everything and having complete horseshit like respawning checkpoint guards and magically appearing cars that you can never out run sneaking into the game.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
A good place for him. Valve structure means his good ideas will be used, at the same time protecting him from being in charge of everything and having complete horseshit like respawning checkpoint guards and magically appearing cars that you can never out run sneaking into the game.

Could also mean his good ideas get focus tested into the ground.

Raxus

On max settings I thought Portal 2 and HL2 are beautiful.

Art direction goes a long way for making up for weak graphics. Same can be said for weak art direction too.

I am still puzzled how anyone could call valve samey in the past 10 years. L4D, TF2 and Portal all do great things with Source.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Derrick01 said:
metalslimer said:
Valve style games?
They all look and feel pretty samey, probably due to the source engine though. I don't like anything about their games really.

True I mean just look at them. I bet no one can even tell these are different products.

left-4-dead-2-20091109022440281-3049406.jpg

pDSSw.jpg

half-life-2-episode-two-20071010075238958-2158533.jpg

portal-2-20110415070032366-3433308.jpg

ss_b39b5cef6ad3176e0f80e7509c227032a22967d8.1920x1080.jpg

team-fortress-2-20070810054504636_1234913439-2755257.jpg

---

Could also mean his good ideas get focus tested into the ground.
I'm not sure Valve is the place to go to avoid user testing. :p

Derrick01

Banned
True I mean just look at them. I bet no one can even tell these are different products.

Their FPS games pretty much all play and feel the exact same to me and it's not the kind of style I like, not that I'm a huge FPS guy to begin with or anything. I just don't see anything special in games like HL2 and Portal 2 where everyone else seems to see gaming's mona lisa.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
what's this angular graphics thing?

Read this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=412938

It's quite amazing.

Their FPS games pretty much all play and feel the exact same to me and it's not the kind of style I like, not that I'm a huge FPS guy to begin with or anything. I just don't see anything special in games like HL2 and Portal 2 where everyone else seems to see gaming's mona lisa.

I can understand someone not liking Valve's games, but I am having trouble seeing how Portal 2 and Half-Life 2 play the same. I mean, in one of them you don't even shoot enemies.

Exuro

So now Valve has both creator of System Shock and creator of Splinter Cell? Can't help but wonder what they're doing.

LobLob

Banned

I don't understand your hate for anything Valve. They have made truly classic games, this is the second thread now you are just laying out your disdain for Valve, what happened bro?

Derrick01

Banned
I can understand someone not liking Valve's games, but I am having trouble seeing how Portal 2 and Half-Life 2 play the same. I mean, in one of them you don't even shoot enemies.

No but it feels like the same game, like it could have been a HL2 expansion. It controls and moves very similarly.

LobLob said:
I don't understand your hate for anything Valve

I still love Steam! But I never claimed to like Valve games, the topic just never came up before I don't think.

LobLob

Banned
Hey Nirolak, what is the game in the 5th picture down in your quote of images? I do not recognize that Valve game????

Jackl

Far Cry 2 was a great idea, bad execution.

If he can keep the great idea part, we'll be good.

Speaking of open world possibilities. Every time I play Dayz I keep thinking Valve will buy the rights, and make L4D3 a open world survival horror version in a full scale version of a major metropolis...

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Hey Nirolak, what is the game in the 5th picture down in your quote of images? I do not recognize that Valve game????

Alien Swarm 2, I think?

edit: why did I think it was 2? It's Alien Swarm, period.

LobLob

Banned
No but it feels like the same game, like it could have been a HL2 expansion. It controls and moves very similarly.

I still love Steam! But I never claimed to like Valve games, the topic just never came up before I don't think.

That makes no sense at all. How does how the movement feel of things make them a similar game? HL2 and Portal 2 couldn't be any more different.

I can sorta see HL2 and L4D "feeling" the same, but TF2? The game where the only thing close to an assault rifle is the weakest, most unused weapon in the game?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
he's probably talking about the character movement speed and inertia coupled with complete lack of mouse acceleration?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Okay, so moving away from the "playing the same" complaint for a moment, the most logical criticism to me would be that Valve these days tends to put a relatively small amount of people (~40-60) on any given project, and their tool chain and loading structure is pretty terrible, so it is unlikely they're going to ever make an open world title or something that needs a ton of content.

If your primary interest in Clint Hocking was Far Cry 2, then yes, it is pretty unlikely that they will be making anything like that, at least based on their outward signs so far.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Bizarre. I'm having a hard time imagining what he'll do over there given Valve's past work.

The same thing every other Valve employee does, random stuff they are good at and somehow comes together to make good video games and services.

Not sure what Clint's expertise are in, but maybe he can help push the insensitive to get better dynamic loading into the source engine.

Derrick01

Banned
I can sorta see HL2 and L4D "feeling" the same, but TF2? The game where the only thing close to an assault rifle is the weakest, most unused weapon in the game?

That game's just too fast for me to play with a mouse and keyboard. I don't like those fast PC shooters.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Okay, so moving away from the "playing the same" complaint for a moment, the most logical criticism to me would be that Valve these days tends to put a relatively small amount of people (~40-60) on any given project, and their tool chain and loading structure is pretty terrible, so it is unlikely they're going to ever make an open world title or something that needs a ton of content.

If your primary interest in Clint Hocking was Far Cry 2, then yes, it is pretty unlikely that they will be making anything like that, at least based on their outward signs so far.

Though we also didnt think Valve would ever go for top down games either...

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Though we also didnt think Valve would ever go for top down games either...

I feel those don't have the same resource requirements though. It's not unusual for a smaller team to make a top down game or an RTS, but it is very unusual for a smaller team to make a well polished open world title.

Something in the vein of Splinter Cell, were we to look solely at what Hocking has done in the past, would seem much more attainable.

Grayman

I don't like Valve's single player design but the games they have taken over from other people have been pretty sweet.

I haven't played one of Clints games, was Far Cry 2 that good? I probably own it thanks to one of his new employers sales.

Top Bottom