• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Club Nintendo discontinued worldwide, new program to follow

Are they still offering those Kirby Patch Sets? I knew I should've jumped on that long ago...

I wonder what they'll have in February.

ffdgh

DON'T SPEND ALL YOUR STUFF YET!

"Nintendo will add a number of physical reward options for members in February."
"...we are going to add dozens of new rewards and downloadable games to help members clear out their Coin balances"

Alright NoA...please have some interesting stuff.

Crossing my fingers for that mario pillow.

Linius

Hopefully NoE adds some new goodies too. At the moment it looks like I'lll be spending stars on fucking golfballs if it stays like this.

Phamit

Probably they get rid of it, so they can use NNID and don't have the seperate Club Nintendo account

bought the MK8 T-Shirt, but I have still 3100 Stars

REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--After more than six years of delivering fun Nintendo-themed rewards to its members, Club Nintendo is preparing to shut down. Nintendo’s loyalty-rewards program rewarded members with a variety of items, such as downloadable games, Nintendo posters or character figures in exchange for Coins that members earned by registering products or completing surveys. Club Nintendo members in the United States and Canada can earn additional Coins through the end of March, and can redeem those Coins through the end of June. Nintendo of America will be announcing a new customer loyalty program at a later date.

“We thank all Club Nintendo members for their dedication to Nintendo games and their ongoing love for our systems and characters,” said Scott Moffitt, Nintendo of America’s executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. “We want to make this time of transition as easy as possible for our loyal Club Nintendo members, so we are going to add dozens of new rewards and downloadable games to help members clear out their Coin balances.”

Nintendo will add a number of physical reward options for members in February. Members will also be able to choose from a lineup of many downloadable games. As a gift to Club Nintendo members, the Flipnote Studio 3D software will be available to download for free in February. This software will allow users to create unique three-dimensional animations and to exchange their creations via local wireless with others who also own Flipnote Studio 3D. Users who uploaded creations to Flipnote Hatena will be able to download their personal animations from the Nintendo DSi Library menu in Flipnote Studio 3D software. Flipnote Studio 3D will be available to Club Nintendo members until June 30. The ability to create a new Club Nintendo account will end on March 31. All users who register to Club Nintendo before registration closes will be eligible to receive Flipnote Studio 3D.

For more information about Club Nintendo, visit https://club.nintendo.com. For more information on Flipnote Studio 3D, visit http://flipnotestudio3d.nintendo.com/.
We finally get flipnote! And wow! End of an era for sure. So many coins. Wanna see what these physical rewards gonna look like.

But I just became a platinum member for the first time on club nintendo......

Sigh guess its time to redeem all my points now...

Elija2

What do they mean by free Flipnote Studio 3D? Wasn't the app always supposed to be free? Or will we be getting the paid Flipnote Gallery: World service for free?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Bleh. Looks like you can redeem the 4,000 points only once.

Oh come on. I have 1600 coins that don't start expire till 2016 and over 1000 coins in registrations. I was hoping Hanafuda cards or Game & Watch came back. Oh well. Ordering the Smash posters as soon as possible.

Starting just now. For when they run out of physical goods.
MyUAaRt.gif

Why do NoE and NoJ keep giving out and doing all the good shit

Roo

Oh come on. I have 1600 coins that don't start expire till 2016 and over 1000 coins in registrations. I was hoping Hanafuda cards or Game & Watch came back. Oh well. Ordering the Smash posters as soon as possible.

You definitely should wait at least until they reveal the new stuff first.

Pocks

I can't help but think that this is the beginning of a unified account system.. or is that jumping to conclusions too quickly?

We finally get flipnote! And wow! End of an era for sure. So many coins. Wanna see what these physical rewards gonna look like.

Only 2 and a half months to redeem? I hope they have plenty of physical award stock and I hope Gaf is able to post about it quickly so I can get some.

Do I get those Smash posters for characters that I don't care about much? Hmmm.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Dann wasn't there a thread yesterday about Flipnote 3D? Guess we are getting it... Nice.

Linius

I see on the Dutch website that they're going to add stuff in the coming months. Guess I'm gonna check the website every now and then to see what's up.

I have at leas 25 game codes that I have to register. This doesn't include any that I haven't taken out of cases, digital games, or games that I will be getting before the end of March. I expect the reward prices to be ridiculous.

When is Nintendo's shareholders meeting? I thought it was today for some reason, but I also thought they held them on Wednesdays EST time.

And if you try to go to Club Nintendo in the US right now you get this:

Sorry!

Club Nintendo is currently unavailable due to site maintenance.
We apologize for any inconvenience.

Remember to hang on to your product registration codes and make a note of your serial numbers - we'll be back soon so you can register your products.

Please note, it is not necessary to register your hardware to begin your warranty. This is done automatically at the retailer when you purchase your product. However, please check back to register your products for Club Nintendo benefits, including hardware warranty extensions.

Forum users please note, the Tech Support Forums will be in read-only mode during this time. All existing Forum topics, posts, and replies will remain available for those looking for technical assistance with Nintendo products. No new threads or messages can be created until Club Nintendo is back up.

Please try back later.

Nanashrew

Banned
Cheesemeister just reminded me. The n3DS doesn't allow you to register with Club Nintendo, which was probably a sign from the start of them phasing the service out.

Only 2 and a half months to redeem? I hope they have plenty of physical award stock and I hope Gaf is able to post about it quickly so I can get some.

Do I get those Smash posters for characters that I don't care about much? Hmmm.
I've been itching to get stuff since I had a surplus of coins. Got the 3DS game cases recently. Still have my unopened Hanafuda set too. Lots of virtual console games. Still over +1000 coins however.

Well atleast I just got Kid Icarus Of Myth and Minsters a couple nughts ago as one last reward. NOA of course shafted us a many of times, but many of great physical collector's items were purchased from CN that I have enjoyed and as it mostly stopped physical rewards, a few digital games to go along with it. (This post is meaningless if NOA doesn't discontinue lol.)

So long Club Nintendo. Thanks for the Animal Crossing DS Case, General DS Case, 3DS Case, Hanafuda Cards, Game & Watch: Ball, Wii Party, Pink WiiMote, $25 Dominos Pizza card, Kid Icarus 2, Dr. Mario, Mario Golf, Mario Hat, Mario Pins, 2013 Posters, Majora's Mask CD, Ocarina of Time CD, Platinum Cards, Zelda Poster Set, 2013 Platinum Poster Set, A Link Betwen Worlds Poster Set, Smash Poster Set, and anything else I may have forgotten that I bought.

Well...holy shit looking back, NOA did fucking fantastic. Farewell, Club Nintendo. I will remember you with.

PS: I now have nowhere to put the posters lol.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I can see this as the first step for the NintendOS/perfectly unified account, with the functions once present on Club Nintendo, all integrated. No, seriously.

Good. The surveys sucked anyways. Hope there is another way to register games. And I hope there are some new prizes to spend my 10.000 stars on.

AniHawk

sooooo i am going to guess that this is getting replaced with something, especially now the digital promotion for wii u early adopters is over too. maybe something like this:

-account-based (tied to your nnid) program
-get $5 back for every $50 you spend digitally
-earn points from surveys filled out, which can also be spent on the eShop (no more physical rewards, but far greater selection of digital games)
-platinum reward people get some sort of physical item at the end of the year, and gold members get a free game of their choosing

Eusis

Well, they want your marketing data.

You're not being rewarded for buying things. You're buying things because you want the product - the exchange was you giving them money for the product. They're giving you other things because you are supplying them data they can use.
I'm guessing the data they collected was either too compromised (used more to push agendas IE localizing games when they bought Mario Party) or useless (AAA+++ dis zis teh greetest gaem fo al tim.) Though I'd think there'd ALSO be value in incentivizing their products over those of the competition (should you not be a Nintendo-only consumer) but so it goes I guess.

Wonder if that's part of why it's being phased out actually, this time they can track if you've actually PLAYED a game, so it's looking a little silly to demand these codes, especially as they'd want feedback on those buying used or just renting anyway to know why they went that route.

Solobbos

Hopefully the new club also works in Finland. I moan every time I find a Club Nintendo paper slip inside my games, 'cause I can't use them anywhere.

Kadin

Well I just got 4 3DS game cases a short while back as I figured all the physical rewards were slowly fizzling out and going towards mainly digital. Now I see they're going to put out a bunch of stuff before it ends and I'm not sure if I'm happy about that. Nothing I can do at this point but man my luck with CN never seems to work in my favor.

Ah well, at least I have some of these cases for... whatever.

Time to stop being lazy and finally finish all those surveys and add a bunch of points to my account I guess.

#preparingforfebruary

Also, I'm looking forward to the new program. Club Nintendo NA has been really stale these past few years. Last year's Platinum reward was terrible. I take it this year's reward will end up being what Japan got last year to finish it off. Fine with me.

Mr. RPG

Wow. This is big.

Why wasn't this announced in the Direct? Especially since it covers all major territories.

I think this is it for physical rewards. When they launch a new service, they definitely won't be releasing anymore physical rewards.

I'm going to seriously miss Club Nintendo. :(

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
sooooo i am going to guess that this is getting replaced with something, especially now the digital promotion for wii u early adopters is over too. maybe something like this:

-earn points from surveys filled out, which can also be spent on the eShop (no more physical rewards, but far greater selection of digital games)
-platinum reward people get some sort of physical item at the end of the year, and gold members get a free game of their choosing

Nintendo Plus

pay $5 a month for some free eshop/VC titles, get discount on digital game purchases, get to use cloud saves,
get to play online

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I can see this as the first step for the NintendOS/perfectly unified account, with the functions once present on Club Nintendo, all integrated. No, seriously.

I wonder if this will somehow also integrate the expired Digital Premium Promotion.
Btw, in Europe, will the stars expired only in September, right? cause up to now there is no interesting item to be redeemed with my 4000 stars.

Nanashrew

Banned

This sounds good to me.

EDIT: NNID is also part of Miiverse and, well, everything with your account and friends list. I remember Iwata discussing the potential of sales and discounts by having people recommend more games to friends and grow bigger communities through this communication. It would also increase benefits for you and your friends, such as discounts. I wonder what could come into play with this.

Zafir

I'm glad I finally went through all my old 3ds and Wii U games that I hadn't registered the other day. Still got just over 3k to still spend though. Hopefully they add more stuff.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Actually...remember this?

As we continue to redefine our platforms from a device-based system to an account-based system using NNIDs, we will also try to change the way in which dedicated video game systems as well as software are sold that people have come to take for granted.
The way in which dedicated video game systems and their software are sold has not changed significantly since the business model of dedicated video game platforms was first established 30 years ago. Dedicated video game systems are sold for two hundred or three hundred dollars, on which standalone software titles are distributed for 30 or 50 dollars. This simple model received widespread support from consumers that enabled us to create today’s market. The decision to change it is the manifestation of our recognition that we cannot expect this model to work forever amid dynamic changes in people’s lifestyles.
If we succeed in the redefinition of video game platforms that I speak of today, our account-based connections with consumers will become very clear. For example, until now it has been taken for granted that software is offered to users at the same price regardless of how many titles they purchase in a year, be it one, five or even ten titles. Based on our account system, if we can offer flexible price points to consumers who meet certain conditions, we can create a situation where these consumers can enjoy our software at cheaper price points when they purchase more. Here, we do not need to limit the condition to the number of software titles they purchase. Inviting friends to start playing a particular software title is also an example of a possible condition. If we can achieve such a sales mechanism, we can expect to increase the number of players per title, and the players will play our games with more friends. This can help maintain the high usage ratio of a platform. When one platform maintains a high active use ratio, the software titles which run on it have a higher potential to be noticed by many, which leads to more people playing with more titles. When we see our overall consumers, they generally play two or three titles per year. We aim to establish a new sales mechanism that will be beneficial to both consumers and software creators by encouraging our consumers to play more titles and increasing a platform’s active use ratio without largely increasing our consumers’ expenditures.
Nintendo aims to work on this brand-new sales mechanism in the medium term, but we would like to start experimenting with Wii U at an early stage.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/140130/03.html

It's possible it has a major role here.

Stulaw

I only have 2500 stars, that's enough to buy the power pouch, or 500 Nintendo Points/Wrapping paper plus the ringtones and digital wallpaper.

I hope NOE puts up more stuff :-|.

I wonder if this will somehow also integrate the expired Digital Premium Promotion.
Btw, in Europe, will the stars expired only in September, right? cause up to now there is no interesting item to be redeemed with my 4000 stars.

Yep, and I think it\'s the same date for other regions too.

MLH

Got 3000 stars in my EU account, enough to buy another pouch. But I'm thinking of waiting, hopefully they'll put up some different things before the end.

You know

This is super weird immediately after they announce the MvDK thing where buying one registers it to your CN account and then they use that account to email you a code for the other.

E-phonk

Banned

Most of that, although I'd guess the rewards will be all digital and automatic. The whole setup of sending items and doing the follow up to these things was probably not worth it.

Free digital download (out of a selected few titles ala mario kart 8) and eshop credit rewards make a lot of sense.

Actually...remember this?

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/140130/03.html

It's possible it has a major role here.

Yeah, sounds like it.

Top Bottom