• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Club Nintendo discontinued worldwide, new program to follow

Anth0ny

sooooo i am going to guess that this is getting replaced with something, especially now the digital promotion for wii u early adopters is over too. maybe something like this:

-account-based (tied to your nnid) program
-get $5 back for every $50 you spend digitally
-earn points from surveys filled out, which can also be spent on the eShop (no more physical rewards, but far greater selection of digital games)
-platinum reward people get some sort of physical item at the end of the year, and gold members get a free game of their choosing

Didn't Iwata mention something at an investor's meeting along the lines of "The more games you buy, the lower the price will be of each game" or something? I can't find a link right now, but I swear he said that.

Maybe they'll implement something like that this year, and they had to close down Club Nintendo for it to work?

Maximus.

Well I hope they add a legitimate amount of stock to redeem....but knowing Nintendo they won't. It was cool while this lasted. I got invested too late in the game and didn't take advantage when the rewards were better.

Kadin

That red question mark makes me sad...

a168Ouh.jpg

5000 stars, bring the new stuff NoE. Or at least put the Mario Galaxy Platinum Soundtrack back up again.

It is stupid that the 3D World soundtrack was only there for a month or so.

amnesiac

I bet they will put up some older rewards next month. Like there's no way they completely sold out of the MM soundtrack from a few years back, right?

Eusis

Well I hope they add a legitimate amount of stock to redeem....but knowing Nintendo they won't. It was cool while this lasted. I got invested too late in the game and didn't take advantage when the rewards were better.
Hopefully they also offer some more meaty digital games akin to the platinum rewards last year, even if they just end up being older games. They can run out of stuff like SNES-styled CC controllers, but it's a bit harder to run out of codes that, at worst, you just generate more of.

dose

What do they mean by free Flipnote Studio 3D? Wasn't the app always supposed to be free? Or will we be getting the paid Flipnote Gallery: World service for free?
Exactly, Nintendo's own site says that Flipnote Studio 3D is free
http://flipnotestudio3d.nintendo.com/
Price: Flipnote Studio™ 3D is a free application. This application includes two community services.
Thanks for the already free app Nintendo!

Tsunamo

The Australian one had nothing worth buying minus the odd occasion where we got something good. (couple of times a year) so it wont be missed much by me, would be nice if the stars I accumulated transferred over to whatever the new program will be though or they add some good items to the Australian one before it closes though.

Looking forward to seeing what Nintendo do with their next rewards program.

Dr Dogg

Urgh, well I guess I can register all those cards I was hording in case something good popped up and not have the situation of unclaimed points expiring. Thing is I doubt anything good will turn up so flipping Wii Shop cards it is.

Mr. RPG

Last day to earn coins, register games, and register an account is March 31, 2015 for North America according to this page.

Also, service ends at the end of June of this year for Club Nintendo for North America.

http://club2.nintendo.com/program-notice/

All Coins will be deleted when Club Nintendo accounts are closed on July 1, 2015. As a result, to give our members the best opportunity to use their Coins, we will add dozens of downloadable games and a limited quantity of exclusive reward items to the rewards catalog in February.

Lusankya

I hope the new bonus program will be the same worldwide and will include exchanging "whatever currency you get for registrating your games/hardware" for eShop currency.

finngamer

Eh, had 12,000 stars waiting, sad that there wasn't anything too special as a one last goodbye. So I just got a second Game & Watch Ball, maybe I'll redeem Nintendo points with the rest.

Of course, now that I've done this, Nintendo will put up something really cool for 10,000 stars and I'll kick myself.

Meia

Man I have so many codes I have to start using, damn.

Was hoping they'd do one good sendoff for the gold/plat status thing, but sounds like they're just going to give out a free game in april or something.

No physical rewards for going Platinum this year.

2015 Elite Status

In order to reach Elite Status, you must earn 300 Coins (for Gold Status) or 600 Coins (for Platinum Status) between July 1, 2014 and March 31, 2015. Members who reach Elite Status will be able to choose a downloadable game from a wide selection of Nintendo 3DS and Wii U titles. Your free Elite Status gift will be available between April 1 and April 30, 2015. A list of the Elite Status 2015 gifts will be posted here once announced.

Shadoron

Anyone read through the updated club Nintendo page yet? This gem sticks out:

2015 Elite Status

In order to reach Elite Status, you must earn 300 Coins (for Gold Status) or 600 Coins (for Platinum Status) between July 1, 2014 and March 31, 2015. Members who reach Elite Status will be able to choose a downloadable game from a wide selection of Nintendo 3DS and Wii U titles. Your free Elite Status gift will be available between April 1 and April 30, 2015. A list of the Elite Status 2015 gifts will be posted here once announced.

Looks like no Physical Rewards for this year, either...

It says Club Nintendo members will get a special version of Flipnote Studio 3D. Possibly a version that doesn't charge for online? Here

Also, there is going to be Elite status for 2015. Those who have earned it will be getting a choice of a downloadable title.

Cruxist

Hmmm.

The NA club Nintendo says they're adding some more physical gifts in February. Do I pull the trigger now, or wait?

Well now, time to pray the Club Nintendo site is actually usable in the next few days during the mad rush of mass registration. No word in the announcement on Gold/Platinum rewards for this year, though it would be a grave disappointment if elite status wasn't honoured with one last set of special rewards.

Anyone read through the updated club Nintendo page yet? This gem sticks out:

2015 Elite Status

Looks like no Physical Rewards for this year, either...

Ah, there we go.

I fully expect the successor scheme to be NNID-based, though this may very well spell the end of physical rewards (which, to be honest, were already being starved out anyway).

I found this little nugget very interesting:

2015 Elite Status

So - it looks like we'll get to pick a downloadable game as our free gift again this year (like last year). This time around it's in April.

AniHawk

You know

This is super weird immediately after they announce the MvDK thing where buying one registers it to your CN account and then they use that account to email you a code for the other.

mvdk being a crossbuy thing is already pretty interesting. the moves nintendo's making all generation from where they were at 3ds with friends codes to where they are now with their first crossbuy game, a unified 'wallet', and a single nnid really looks like a slow overhaul of their system so they can be more prepared for whatever next gen offers.

Zafir

Didn't Iwata mention something at an investor's meeting along the lines of "The more games you buy, the lower the price will be of each game" or something? I can't find a link right now, but I swear he said that.

Maybe they'll implement something like that this year, and they had to close down Club Nintendo for it to work?
I doubt the discount will be significant enough to make it worth buying digitally from the eshop if that was the case. You can always find retail copies cheaper.

Edit: I'm on about the EU store, for reference.

Shadoron

So Gold and platinum are still available but the cut off is 3 months earlier( march 31st)...Not sure if I can make that in time. :(

You'll have to buy games released prior to 1/20/15 to even get codes, fyi.

From the Club Nintendo Info Page:

1/20/2015 Products released after this date are not eligible for registration with Club Nintendo

mvdk being a crossbuy thing is already pretty interesting. the moves nintendo's making all generation from where they were at 3ds with friends codes to where they are now with their first crossbuy game, a unified 'wallet', and a single nnid really looks like a slow overhaul of their system so they can be more prepared for whatever next gen offers.

The fact that two cross-promotions are happening right near the end of Club Nintendo is clear foreshadowing of the feature program. A code for Mewtwo in both the 3DS and Wii U versions of Smash, and a cross-buy Mario vs. DK game.

Whoa, that was unexpected. So i gotta find something useless to spend my stars on + redeem the few Club Nintendo Codes that i still have.

Hope it will be something along the lines of the DDP. Get a percentage of the money spent in eshop credit, since Iwata said something like "the more games you buy, the cheaper they get".

8 months huh.

Edit: I´m not talking just about digital games for the money back thing. Retail too, register a code, get some eshop moneys.

I found this little nugget very interesting:

2015 Elite Status

So - it looks like we'll get to pick a downloadable game as our free gift again this year (like last year). This time around it's in April.
Hoping Hyrule Warriors makes that list. Or some other first party game that's good but I wouldn't buy normally.

Also time to clear out all of my Club Nintendo codes I got lying around.

Your Account and Coin Balance

The information in your Club Nintendo account will not be transferred to the new loyalty program. We are adding multiple items to our reward catalog, so please be sure to redeem your Coins before the deadline on June 30, 2015. Unused Coins will be deleted as of July 1, 2015.

So the wording on this implies that, when CN is done, it's just done. That account will no longer exist or have any information tied to it. Or it will exist but only as legacy information (i.e. these games were purchased with this account).

If the CN account is going, then logically, they're going to need a new way to track your game purchases, no?

Mr. RPG

You'll have to buy games released prior to 1/20/15 to even get codes, fyi.

From the Club Nintendo Info Page:

1/20/2015 Products released after this date are not eligible for registration with Club Nintendo

No. It is saying that any games released after Janaury 20th, 2015 will not come with Club Nintendo codes.

You can keep redeeming Club Nintendo codes for coins until the end of March.

Edit: Nevermind, misread. Sorry.

Top Bottom