• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Club Nintendo: European Discussion

congrats. Seems our effort payed off

In retrospect:

It is ridiculous how the system expired 3000 points a few months before the end. The the system of expiring stars was demotivating and punishing. They where after-all getting survey feedback from us; but why even bother when you won't be able to gather a significant amount to buy something truly amazing (e.g Link on Epona).

For the better things. You needed so many stars. Having to deal with expiring stars in club nintendo and being forced to register a game before a certain date was such a pain. Even worse just around the end announcement. With games having a very limited time to get registered.

A large portion of the surveys questions could had been saved in our profile. Which would significantly cut the length of the each survey etc. (After 20 surveys; How old are you? Are you male/female? etc. Really!? Nintendo Really!?). A few questions sounded like they were basically repeats asking for the same thing but in a different manner. The process of filling in the survey was extremely tedious.

After a while. The surveys were like going on autopilot for me.
Just entering the same things over and over again. Hopefully they don't return.

Andrefpvs

And done! Managed to spend the stars a friend gave me today. My goodness, what an ordeal.

Unfortunately, I never got enough leftover stars to get Link's Awakening DX (I've always been curious about the Zelda series). But thanks to a generous GAFer, I was able to order the Ending Credits CD when it was in stock, which was really nice.

I'm looking forward to the new rewards system. Club Nintendo was really starting to show its age.

Rest in peace!

Peagles

Anyone got 50 stars on a code I could use to grab the Hanafuda Theme before it shuts?

I'm in NZ so can only use third party stuff from the UK/EU.

Otherwise I'll get all that digital crap haha...

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Yep, Club Nintendo still works. Just used my few remaining points on various wallpapers / ringtones.

scamander

Banned
I talked to a Nintendo rep yesterday in the evening, because I couldn't register any stars. He meant it's probably because of the server utilisation, that I should try it early the next day and that they postponed the shut down of Club Nintendo to Friday 3pm CEST, because of the server problems.

Don't spread it like wildfire!

The site works fine now btw, except that I still can't get to the survey form, when I try to use a code (and the Sound Selection is now gone anyway ;_; ). It's just re-loading the page and doesn't even give an error code or something. I have no idea why that's the case, but I read that many people have this problem (at least in Germany). Gonna give Nintendo a call again at 10 am.

flozuki

I talked to a Nintendo rep yesterday in the evening, because I couldn't register any stars. He meant it's probably because of the server utilisation, that I should try it early the next day and that they postponed the shut down of Club Nintendo to Friday 3pm CEST, because of the server problems.

The site works fine now btw, except that I still can't get to the survey form, when I try to use a code (and the Sound Selection is now gone anyway ;_; ). It's just re-loading the page and doesn't even give an error code or something. I have no idea why that's the case, but I read that many people have this problem (at least in Germany). Gonna give Nintendo a call again at 10 am.

Can you inform us what they said regarding the product registration?

scamander

Banned
Can you inform us what they said regarding the product registration?

Sure, will do! I don't think they will have anything substantial to tell, though. I'm calling, because I hope they can give me the stars manually. If you have the same problem and Nintendo doesn't use an expensive service hotline in your country, it might be better to give them a call as well (so that they can help you properly).

RiggyRob

I managed to get in just now and get my last theme, so I wouldn't be surprised if they did postpone the shutdown.

mr-paul

It's still working. Finally managed to redeem my final stars.

Really crap system - had so many stars expire over the years because I'm not obsessed enough to keep on checking their site and spending them on tat I don't need/want. Hopefully the next system will be better.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
And done! Managed to spend the stars a friend gave me today. My goodness, what an ordeal.

Unfortunately, I never got enough leftover stars to get Link's Awakening DX (I've always been curious about the Zelda series). But thanks to a generous GAFer, I was able to order the Ending Credits CD when it was in stock, which was really nice.

I'm looking forward to the new rewards system. Club Nintendo was really starting to show its age.

Rest in peace!

Curious about the Zelda series? So you are a Club Nintendo member who has never played a Zelda game? Then please, just get the cheapest one you can find on eBay and play it.

Here: http://www.ebay.de/itm/Nintendo-Wii...LECTS-54132-/381137212138?hash=item58bd8c52ea someone is selling Twilight Princess for 15€ and here:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Nintendo-Gam...s-Awakening-/311454540874?hash=item488423244a someone is selling Link's Awakening for 13€.

As an apparent Nintendo fan you should really play at least one Zelda game.

flozuki

It's still working. Finally managed to redeem my final stars.

Really crap system - had so many stars expire over the years because I'm not obsessed enough to keep on checking their site and spending them on tat I don't need/want. Hopefully the next system will be better.

How? Why? Still not working for me :-/

Just spent my last 300 stars on Super Mario 25th anniversary pendant as easy as always. Although, to be honest, everything is possible in Club Nintendo in Russia, where there are Luigi diorama and Wii SNES Classic Controller on sale.

I was able to redeem some stars this morning October 1 by going to http://stars.nintendo-europe.com/ and logging in (9AM UK time on Oct 1).
Going to the Club Nintendo website got me a "it's all gone" page.
So it might still be possible to grab something.
I got a download code so I don't know if physical items work.

Was F5-ing all last night like the rest of you.

scamander

Banned
So, Club Nintendo is gone for good and only the star shop will remain open until Friday 5 (!) PM CEST. The rep from yesterday was apparently talking bullshit and I (or anyone else who couldn't register any stars anymore) get zero - nothing - nada from Nintendo to compensate for the fact their site didn't work properly since Tuesday.

I would have been happy, if they just had sent me the Mario Kart 8 OST instead of the now sold out Nintendo Song Selection. I'm only missing 350 stars to get that and I have the codes, but nope. They were even blaming me for waiting "until the last minute". Are you fucking kidding me? You are offering a service and this should also work the last two days. German customer service at its best.

Fuck you, Nintendo. Seriously, fuck you.

Chastten

Banned
I'll never understand everyone waiting for the last possible moment, when history has proven time and again that Nintendo's servers can't handle the stress.

Why not do it last month? Or last week? Do you people like living on the edge or something?

scamander

Banned
I'll never understand everyone waiting for the last possible moment, when history has proven time and again that Nintendo's servers can't handle the stress.

Why not do it last month? Or last week? Do you people like living on the edge or something?

I didn't have enough stars for the stuff that I wanted and just hoped they would reduce the cost of their physical products (like in the US). When that didn't happen I bought some star codes online. That was two days ago. I didn't think their site would crash two days early. Not to mention that my problem didn't have anything to do with their servers. I couldn't get to the survey form, because when I entered a code the site was just reloading. That did also happen at 4am in the morning, when the site was running smoothly.

CengizMan

I was able to redeem some stars this morning October 1 by going to http://stars.nintendo-europe.com/ and logging in (9AM UK time on Oct 1).

Wow, thanks for the link. Even though like 1500 of my stars got expired today (which is a shame, because I was thinking of buying some games), I was still able to grab at least SOMETHING with them, giving me eternal peace on this subject.

OMG Aero

Assuming the website is still up when I get a reply, I'll buy one of the 3DS home themes for the first person that tells me which one they want since I have them all and have nothing else to spend my last stars on.

wrowa

Assuming the website is still up when I get a reply, I'll buy one of the 3DS home themes for the first person that tells me which one they want since I have them all and have nothing else to spend my last stars on.

Would love that Nintendo consoles theme. :)

GRW810

Couldn't log in yesterday and resetting password wasn't working so I emailed Nintendo. They basically told me there was nothing they could do. Fantastic, that's several thousand stars lost then.

scamander

Banned
Couldn't log in yesterday and resetting password wasn't working so I emailed Nintendo. They basically told me there was nothing they could do. Fantastic, that's several thousand stars lost then.

The star shop will still remain open until Friday 5 PM CEST. Maybe you can figure out your old password until it's too late!

-shadow-

Managed to snag a few really wonderful things over the past ten years. Really sad to know it'll all be permanently gone tomorrow :(

scamander

Banned
Well, we still don't know what's coming next. I sure hope physical rewards will remain, though- especially soundtracks. It's such a pity Nintendo doesn't sell them at least in limited quantity on their shop or via retailers.

-shadow-

Still saddened (and annoyed) that the soundtrack for Tropical Freeze is completely ignored by Nintendo, but the completely forgettable Returns soundtrack was put in the Japanese Club Nintendo years ago. I want a high quality version of that soundtrack. Nintendo sticking to 32kHz audio files is so weird when they have 25GB at their disposal.

Fisico

2600 stars left, glad the stars catalogue is still open... but I'm only getting error codes when trying to order something lol.

Well I'll try once again later today I guess.

openrob

Thanks to some wonderful people here I was able to get NES Remix. Took a couple of hours mind you! I was really aiming to hustle enough stars for a CD, but was a bit short.

NateDog

Tried but isn't working although this is 2.5 hours after when you tried. Annoying thing is I have 2300 points, might just go with 500 Nintendo points, better than nothing, although I did want the 3DS pocket thing for my girlfriend as I'm getting her a 3DS this week.

Duster

Done too :)

In retrospect:
The the system of expiring stars was demotivating and punishing. They where after-all getting survey feedback from us; but why even bother when you won't be able to gather a significant amount to buy something truly amazing (e.g Link on Epona).

The process of filling in the survey was extremely tedious.

Yep you'd think the idea of Club Nintendo would be to build goodwill but the introduction of those fucking expiry dates must have caused a lot of ill feelings, the tedious surveys just rubbed salt in the wound.

Those damn star expirations meant I just got fucking Donkey Kong, which is cool as I thought it would be too late.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Yep you'd think the idea of Club Nintendo would be to build goodwill but the introduction of those fucking expiry dates must have caused a lot of ill feelings, the tedious surveys just rubbed salt in the wound.

Those damn star expirations meant I just got fucking Donkey Kong, which is cool as I thought it would be too late.

I basically stopped with it for quite some time because it just became a chore. That and the long periods of nothing only for your stars to start expiring so you would just have to pick something you didn't want only for something decent to come along two months later when it was too late.

To be honest, I won't miss Club Nintendo and I hope the replacement is much much better.

moorecore

Neo Member
If any of you guys have 50,100 stars left, get the digital items eg wallpapers and ringtones and hopefully all of this can be collated and hosted online

I managed to go on now and spend my remaining stars on wallpapers and ringtones. When I tried to redownload the ringtone and it sent me to my Treasures page, it then redirected to the standard 'Club Nintendo has closed' page..

I managed to go on now and spend my remaining stars on wallpapers and ringtones. When I tried to redownload the ringtone and it sent me to my Treasures page, it then redirected to the standard 'Club Nintendo has closed' page..
I'm so pleased I spent my last 100 stars on wallpapers (that I'll never use) as the download button for those just appeared on the checkout page and downloaded right there, no treasure redirection.

Try the links in the e-mail maybe they should be like:
http://stars.nintendo-europe.com/shop/payment/redownload/?key=

El-Suave

I really hope the new loyalty program is good because the old one really worked. I'll admit I bought the occasional game or two to get an item I wanted from the stars catalogue when I knew I wouldn't play the games immediately.

I basically stopped with it for quite some time because it just became a chore. That and the long periods of nothing only for your stars to start expiring so you would just have to pick something you didn't want only for something decent to come along two months later when it was too late.

To be honest, I won't miss Club Nintendo and I hope the replacement is much much better.

Agree with this. I was furious when hey started expiring the stars without offering anything worthopaedic having. I had shed loads logged and expired in the Wii days. Really pissed me which is surely not the point of a loyalty scheme.

And yeah the surveys were teeth grindingly annoying. It just felt like Nintendo couldn't bring themselves to actually give anything away for free and so they forced you to complete a meaningless task to make them feel better.

Andrefpvs

Curious about the Zelda series? So you are a Club Nintendo member who has never played a Zelda game? Then please, just get the cheapest one you can find on eBay and play it.

Here: http://www.ebay.de/itm/Nintendo-Wii...LECTS-54132-/381137212138?hash=item58bd8c52ea someone is selling Twilight Princess for 15€ and here:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Nintendo-Gam...s-Awakening-/311454540874?hash=item488423244a someone is selling Link's Awakening for 13€.

As an apparent Nintendo fan you should really play at least one Zelda game.

Yikes, you can clearly tell I was sleep deprived when I wrote that post, ahah. I meant the Game Boy Zelda games, not the entire Zelda series. I have Ocarina of Time 3D and have been looking for a deal on Majora's Mask.

But yeah, there's still lots of Nintendo games I haven't played. Thanks for the links! :)

Top Bottom