• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN: New terrorist laptop bombs may evade airport security

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razorback

Terrorism isn't something that is an integral part of the infrastructure of how our country runs. Unfortunately, road accidents come with the package.

Plus, everyone knows about the dangers of driving. We have a whole program to teach you all about them before you're even allowed to do it.

I know why it happens. I just want to point out how disproportionate the cost of the war on terrorism is compared to benefits it brings. Not to mention the amount of anxiety it brings to the population for a statistical minor danger.

When will people realize that if it weren't for the media, terrorism wouldn't work?

Since 1975, on average 75 people are killed every year due to terrorism in the US. This includes 9/11.

Compare that to the annual average of 37,000 deaths due to road accidents.

Which one actually dominates peoples' fears and has more impact on policy?

Targeting and making boogeymen out of brown Muslims (brown people in general, really) is more palatable to certain Americans than actually making forward progress on the significant issues that affect everyone, everyday.

tolkir

hackers-turn-your-computer-bomb.jpg

above-computer-hacking.gif

MKIL65

When will people realize that if it weren't for the media, terrorism wouldn't work?

Since 1975, on average 75 people are killed every year due to terrorism in the US. This includes 9/11.

Compare that to the annual average of 37,000 deaths due to road accidents.

Which one actually dominates peoples' fears and has more impact on policy?

It's interesting, I would have thought police officers are generally more dangerous than terrorists.

Given that police officers murdered at least 303 black people in 2016 alone...

PRIORITIES

rSpooky

I see a opportunity for hw manufacturers here. Work with TSA.make a chip that works to show the product has not been tempered with..much like hashes in software. Make these devices exempt from the rule. And we can get back to work/play.

You cannot tell me that is not technically possible.

Edit; i am also getting tired of this constant reactive outlawing of things. Wt this rate you need a full mri and wear a special airline supplied overall before you can fly.

Tigress

If it goes into hold luggage though, it's much less likely to harm people if it goes off (unless it's big enough to rip a hole in the plane where it'd make no difference). It's also much less likely to be in the air when it goes off, too.

It's also less likely to be noticed until it is far too late and no one can put a fire extinguisher to it.

Tigress

It could actually be a good thing for some of you to get off the screen. lol

Goddamnit, (step)mom, get off the computer :p! (Sorry, had to joke that cause she gripes that she thinks I have too many gadgets and spend too much time on electronic devices. I clarify stepmom cause my mom is a lot like me so she understands it).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom