• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New U.S. airport rules will mean separate screening for electronics larger than phone

KSweeley

Link: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...arge-electronic-devices/?wpisrc=nl_amk&wpmm=1

If you’re planning to fly this summer, be prepared — new rules announced Wednesday mean that electronics larger than a cellphone will have to go in separate bins when you go through airport screening.

The Transportation Security Administration announced the change as part of the effort to strengthen screening procedures for carry-on luggage.

“It is critical for TSA to constantly enhance and adjust security screening procedures to stay ahead of evolving threats and keep passengers safe,” said TSA acting administrator Huban A. Gowadia. “By separating personal electronic items such as laptops, tablets, e-readers and handheld game consoles for screening, TSA officers can more closely focus on resolving alarms and stopping terror threats

The new screening procedures, set to go in effect over the next few months, are already in place at 10 U.S. airports, including Boston’s Logan International Airport and Los Angeles International Airport. Under the new rules, travelers will be asked to remove electronic devices larger than a cellphone from their bags and place them in separate bins for screening. TSA officials said the goal is to give officers clearer X-ray images.

Secretary of Homeland Security John Kelly said recently that travelers have begun packing more items in carry-on bags to avoid baggage fees. As a result, it has become more difficult for TSA officers to get a clear look at the contents of a bag. The new focus on large electronic devices is also fueled by concerns that terrorists may use such devices, including laptops and tablets, to conceal explosives. That’s part of what fueled the laptop ban put in place last spring. The ban was recently rescinded, but only for airports and carriers that meet new screening standards.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Thought I saw another thread on this a day or so ago.

This is a ploy to steal Switches.

XenoRaven

I've always had to put my laptop and any console I may be traveling with in separate bins without anything else in them.

I just flew to Canada and back to the U.S. the other week and didn't have to pull out either.

I fly back and forth between US and Canada on a bi-weekly basis and I've only had to take out my laptop. I mean, it's already slow because plenty of people tuck their laptops deep in the bowels of their suitcases or bags which slows everything down as they dig in there while remembering to go back for another bin because they forgot to take one for their laptop. I can only imagine what it'll be like when you double or triple that for people who carry multiple devices.

TSA better be ready with refilling those bins too, since they're gonna burn through them real fast.

mattp

they already did this for laptops, anyway (every laptop has to be in it's own bin. and sometimes ipads, depending on how the tsa agents are feeling)
not too big of a change, honestly

Whompa02

had to do this while returning to America from Doha. It's useless. They wrap your shit in a seran wrapped box...wow...I feel so safe...

Top Bottom