• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN: Sessions didn't disclose Russian meetings to DOJ

I don't understand how conservative outlets are still able to spin this and convince trump supporters that there's nothing to see here. Like how ?
Why would Sessions lie about these meetings if he has nothing to hide ? How can you say there's no russian meddling with all the evidence piling up ?

I know their only answer is that there's a giant liberal conspiracy and that the deep state is responsible but did the deep state make Sessions lie about meeting the russian ambassador ? Huh ?

The Russia story sounds to them the way the Seth Rich story sounds to us. They've devoted themselves to believing that all the new details are made up by the liberal media so when a story like this breaks, they just say "That never happened. The story is a lie to discredit Trump."

RootCause

Whoopsydaisy

53YiYms.jpg

Damn! all at the same time. I'm sure there was collusion.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The Russia story sounds to them the way the Seth Rich story sounds to us. They've devoted themselves to believing that all the new details are made up by the liberal media so when a story like this breaks, they just say "That never happened. The story is a lie to discredit Trump."

Except that the Russia thing actually has teeth and the Seth Rich story is literally insane.

You see that guy? Fuck that guy!

THIS is went we need to start baiting Trump with questions about how unfair he thinks this is and how much he really wished Sessions would come back.

Eusis

When I think of foreign governments, I never think of Russia. Give this guy a break. Who has even heard of Russia?
Can't even find it on a map. Who cares about complete nobodies?

Flush the Executive Branch entirely, it's the only way to be sure. Or perhaps... Drain it?

ElRenoRaven

Ah Chaffetz trying his damnedest to defend Sessions. This is all Obama's fault. They didn't do their job vetting these people.

IrishNinja

Sessions is the only dude that might surpass my hate for Giulliani, so more attention being brought to this is a great thing

please let this bigoted fuck recuse himself back to managing a rural arby's where he belongs

somebody explain to me:

If ultimately all that is found is that those close to Trump were the ones being influenced by Russians and subsequently influencing him without his knowledge, what can be done?

This is a worst case scenario where he had no involvement.

LifEndz

"Well...I've been called a surrogate a time or two...."

Fucking unreal. So it's him, Kushner and Flynn all supposedly forgetting to disclose contact with the Russians on their security clearance forms? I'm sure it's nothing /s

kirblar

somebody explain to me:

If ultimately all that is found is that those close to Trump were the ones being influenced by Russians and subsequently influencing him without his knowledge, what can be done?

He can still be impeached for gross incompetence.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
somebody explain to me:

There's still the Obstruction charge and that's probably not going away given how Trump's all but admitted to it to anyone who will listen.

somebody explain to me:

It may very well be that Trump might not have been involved with Russia, but he attempted to obstruct justice NUMEROUS times through Comey and other heads of the intelligence communities by asking them to either drop the investigation or flat out lie about it. He's fucked.

Tovarisc

People missing

Sessions initially listed a year's worth of meetings with foreign officials on the security clearance form, according to Justice Department spokeswoman Sarah Isgur Flores. But she says he and his staff were then told by an FBI employee who assisted in filling out the form, known as the SF-86, that he didn't need to list dozens of meetings with foreign ambassadors that happened in his capacity as a senator.

part of article?

FBI told him that he doesn't need to list them.

More:

A legal expert who regularly assists officials in filling out the form disagrees with the Justice Department's explanation, suggesting that Sessions should have disclosed the meetings.

"My interpretation is that a member of Congress would still have to reveal the appropriate foreign government contacts notwithstanding it was on official business," said Mark Zaid, a Washington attorney who specializes in national security law.

To obtain a security clearance, a federal official is not required to list the meetings if they were part of a foreign conference he or she attended while conducting government business. Sessions' meetings, however, do not appear to be tied to foreign conferences.

At his confirmation hearing January 10, Sessions testified that he "did not have communications" with the Russians during the campaign. He made the same assertion in an official questionnaire.

He was sworn in as attorney general February 9 and subsequently received a security clearance, even though he didn't mention the Kislyak meetings on his paperwork.
The Washington Post reported March 1 that Sessions had two undisclosed meetings with Kislyak during the campaign, which brought Sessions into the widening Russia scandal for the first time.

Sessions recused himself from overseeing the FBI's Russia investigation one day later.

Top Bottom