• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN: Sessions didn't disclose Russian meetings to DOJ

Not terribly shocking--if he lied to the Senate, it only stands to reason that he would have lied to the Department of Justice as well--but like others have said, any bad news for Sessions is good news for me. Guy's a piece of garbage and is in no way fit for his position.

People missing

Sessions initially listed a year's worth of meetings with foreign officials on the security clearance form, according to Justice Department spokeswoman Sarah Isgur Flores. But she says he and his staff were then told by an FBI employee who assisted in filling out the form, known as the SF-86, that he didn't need to list dozens of meetings with foreign ambassadors that happened in his capacity as a senator.

part of article?

FBI told him that he doesn't need to list them.

More:

A legal expert who regularly assists officials in filling out the form disagrees with the Justice Department's explanation, suggesting that Sessions should have disclosed the meetings.

"My interpretation is that a member of Congress would still have to reveal the appropriate foreign government contacts notwithstanding it was on official business," said Mark Zaid, a Washington attorney who specializes in national security law.

To obtain a security clearance, a federal official is not required to list the meetings if they were part of a foreign conference he or she attended while conducting government business. Sessions' meetings, however, do not appear to be tied to foreign conferences.

At his confirmation hearing January 10, Sessions testified that he "did not have communications" with the Russians during the campaign. He made the same assertion in an official questionnaire.

He was sworn in as attorney general February 9 and subsequently received a security clearance, even though he didn't mention the Kislyak meetings on his paperwork.
The Washington Post reported March 1 that Sessions had two undisclosed meetings with Kislyak during the campaign, which brought Sessions into the widening Russia scandal for the first time.

Sessions recused himself from overseeing the FBI's Russia investigation one day later.

I feel like maybe you're missing something here, because nothing seems to really contradict here...?

Tovarisc

I feel like maybe you're missing something here, because nothing seems to really contradict here...?

People are making huge deal about Sessions not disclosing and how he needs to go jail, but FBI told him he doesn't need to list. Sure it's very oddball advice that lawyer among others disagree with, but Sessions was given advice by FBI.

Cagey

Banned
People are making huge deal about Sessions not disclosing and how he needs to go jail, but FBI told him he doesn't need to list. Sure it's very oddball advice that lawyer among others disagree with, but Sessions was given advice by FBI.

Allegedly.

Damn who game Wolf the Sane Pills?

Probably because this is CNN's story.

Because it falls under the 'capacity as a Senator' bullshit that they used during the confirmation scandal. Nobody fell for it then and nobody is falling for it now.

People are making huge deal about Sessions not disclosing and how he needs to go jail, but FBI told him he doesn't need to list.

Didn't need to list under the assumption this was part of a conference, which it wasn't. That's how I read it anyway. And it shows that twice now he's gone through a process without disclosing private foreign meetings, which paints his previous excuse as even flimsier

Slayven

Isn't Sessions a lawyer?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Once again I bring to the attention a proper punishment befitting the period in which Jeff Sessions believes he continues to live.

torn-apart-by-horses.jpg

MazeHaze

Banned
Him blaming the FBI just reminds me of a little kid being caught by his mom doing something he knew he wasn't allowed to. "But dad said I could see the R rated movie!!"

Mimosa97

The Russia story sounds to them the way the Seth Rich story sounds to us. They've devoted themselves to believing that all the new details are made up by the liberal media so when a story like this breaks, they just say "That never happened. The story is a lie to discredit Trump."

I looked at the Seth Rich story and it's ... nothing ? Where is the evidence ?

I don't think you use the " both sides " excuse here.

"Well...I've been called a surrogate a time or two...."

Fucking unreal. So it's him, Kushner and Flynn all supposedly forgetting to disclose contact with the Russians on their security clearance forms? I'm sure it's nothing /s

Its not just suspicious because its contact with Russians not being disclosed its really suspicious because its contact with the same Russian ambassador Sergey Kislyak who is suspected of being a spy the same Sergey Kislyak who was in the white house with Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov but no one knows why including the white house officials in the meeting and the white house tried its hardest to hide the fact he was in the meeting.

Sure, there is an excuse and it might even hold up... but by some cosmic coincidence it's always the meetings with Russian interests that Trump people somehow 'forget' to disclose.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Is there anybody that hasn't met the Russians yet? It seems to be a mandatory preliminary interview in order to get a high ranked job in today's America.

Sure, there is an excuse and it might even hold up... but by some cosmic coincidence it's always the meetings with Russian interests that Trump people somehow 'forget' to disclose.

Coincidentally the same Russian interest considered a spy and a big part in Flynn downfall who also was not disclosed to anyone a few weeks back when he met with the President.

Worth noting that Sessions would have probably been gone already if Trump hadn't managed to say some truly crazy shit that weekend.

According to habitual liar Sarah Flores though

Devil's in the details. Trump admin line is that he disclosed a bunch of foreign interactions but was told they were not necessary and removed them.

What they DIDN'T say is that he initially disclosed the Russian interactions but subsequently removed them.

So just more hackynyed bullshit. This whole administration is toast.

O_Atoll

somebody explain to me:

If ultimately all that is found is that those close to Trump were the ones being influenced by Russians and subsequently influencing him without his knowledge, what can be done?

This is a worst case scenario where he had no involvement.
Remember he tried to tell the FBI head to forget about the Russian stuff.

Durden77

Geez you have to list ANY contact with a foreign government or rep in the past 7 years? That's fucking intense, as it should be though. Seems like it would be hard to keep track of every one.

But that's just something I found interesting. Fuck Sessions. He just met with this guy. If he was competent he would have listed it or either he's guilty.

Allard

if he gets fired over this

couldn't have happened to anyone nicer (lol)

At this point who actually is going to fire him? Trump only reluctantly fired Flynn and even wants the bastard back, he isn't going to fire sessions. I do know you can't arrest the president but a question comes up. If Sessions lied on his federal forms to get security clearance over Russia and Sessions is supposed to be recused from Russia investigations, doesn't that mean its possible under such circumstances for the Deputy AG to prosecute his own boss? Can Sessions be arrested in such a scenario?

At this point who actually is going to fire him? Trump only reluctantly fired Flynn and even wants the bastard back, he isn't going to fire sessions. I do know you can't arrest the president but a question comes up. If Sessions lied on his federal forms to get security clearance over Russia and Sessions is supposed to be recused from Russia investigations, doesn't that mean its possible under such circumstances for the Deputy AG to prosecute his own boss? Can Sessions be arrested in such a scenario?

Our constitution is really shitty and ineffective. We need more checks and balances. We need amendments that provide for these situations. The president has far more power than the founders intended.

Top Bottom