• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN: Sessions didn't disclose Russian meetings to DOJ

This better sink Sessions. When I was filling out my security clearance while applying to OCS, they made me disclose literally anything and everything. I had to disclose I had fucking eczema 5 years prior to me filling out that form. Sessions not disclosing he met with Russians is more than just a fucking oops.

kess

This better sink Sessions. When I was filling out my security clearance while applying to OCS, they made me disclose literally anything and everything. I had to disclose I had fucking eczema 5 years prior to me filling out that form. Sessions not disclosing he met with Russians is more than just a fucking oops.

Sessions is the lynchpin of the entire GOP legal strategy, so I don't expect him to leave willingly. That's said, the heat is going to continue getting hotter for him.

Ithil

I'm glad we're now up to an average of three news scoops per day now.

ltfDOwE.jpg

I feel like maybe you're missing something here, because nothing seems to really contradict here...?

Then if it was just part of his capacity as a Senator why did he lie about it during his confirmation when asked directly about the Russians? And if you were going to lie during the confirmation hearing why would you then go ahead and list it on required government documents? Oh wait, you wouldn't. I'm sure he had the Russia contacts listed there and then just erased it due to someone else's advice...

Ernest

Banned
People missing

Sessions initially listed a year's worth of meetings with foreign officials on the security clearance form, according to Justice Department spokeswoman Sarah Isgur Flores. But she says he and his staff were then told by an FBI employee who assisted in filling out the form, known as the SF-86, that he didn't need to list dozens of meetings with foreign ambassadors that happened in his capacity as a senator.

part of article?

FBI told him that he doesn't need to list them.

More:

A legal expert who regularly assists officials in filling out the form disagrees with the Justice Department's explanation, suggesting that Sessions should have disclosed the meetings.

"My interpretation is that a member of Congress would still have to reveal the appropriate foreign government contacts notwithstanding it was on official business," said Mark Zaid, a Washington attorney who specializes in national security law.

To obtain a security clearance, a federal official is not required to list the meetings if they were part of a foreign conference he or she attended while conducting government business. Sessions' meetings, however, do not appear to be tied to foreign conferences.

At his confirmation hearing January 10, Sessions testified that he "did not have communications" with the Russians during the campaign. He made the same assertion in an official questionnaire.

He was sworn in as attorney general February 9 and subsequently received a security clearance, even though he didn't mention the Kislyak meetings on his paperwork.
The Washington Post reported March 1 that Sessions had two undisclosed meetings with Kislyak during the campaign, which brought Sessions into the widening Russia scandal for the first time.

Sessions recused himself from overseeing the FBI's Russia investigation one day later.

Thanks for the clarification - that CNN article is actually very poorly written.

Nekofrog

Banned

The screening for my TS was ridiculous, and I had to do a lot of it manually while I was at basic training as enlisted. Holy hell is that another layer of difficult on top of difficult. The detail you gotta go into

I don't understand how conservative outlets are still able to spin this and convince trump supporters that there's nothing to see here. Like how ?
Why would Sessions lie about these meetings if he has nothing to hide ? How can you say there's no russian meddling with all the evidence piling up ?

I know their only answer is that there's a giant liberal conspiracy and that the deep state is responsible but did the deep state make Sessions lie about meeting the russian ambassador ? Huh ?

Deep down inside they know all the conspiracy theories they threw at Obama for 8 years were all bullshit, so now they are projecting that feeling by assuming Democrats are doing the same thing now that Republicans are in power.

I'm at a point where none of this surprises me. I figured that every one of Trump's campaign and cabinet picks were hand picked by Putin and/or the Kremlin.

At this point who actually is going to fire him? Trump only reluctantly fired Flynn and even wants the bastard back, he isn't going to fire sessions. I do know you can't arrest the president but a question comes up. If Sessions lied on his federal forms to get security clearance over Russia and Sessions is supposed to be recused from Russia investigations, doesn't that mean its possible under such circumstances for the Deputy AG to prosecute his own boss? Can Sessions be arrested in such a scenario?

one can hope

Kevtones

Wow first you people get mad when Trump talks about stuff with Russians and then you get mad when Sessions doesn't talk about stuff with the Russians!

Trump could simply say the word Russia or merely tell a couple of prostitutes to pee on a bed and you'd freak out!!!

shiba5

Geez you have to list ANY contact with a foreign government or rep in the past 7 years? That's fucking intense, as it should be though. Seems like it would be hard to keep track of every one.

But that's just something I found interesting. Fuck Sessions. He just met with this guy. If he was competent he would have listed it or either he's guilty.

Anyone else would get fired for this. I had a TS clearance and I disclosed everything, no matter how minor, because if they found out about it later, I would be toast.

sangreal

People are making huge deal about Sessions not disclosing and how he needs to go jail, but FBI told him he doesn't need to list. Sure it's very oddball advice that lawyer among others disagree with, but Sessions was given advice by FBI.

Why is the top lawyer in the country getting legal advice from "an FBI employee" and what has he ever done to make you believe him?

Allard

Why is the top lawyer in the country getting legal advice from "an FBI employee" and what has he ever done to make you believe him?

Furthermore why are we trusting the word of Sarah Flores after she lied several times on the air on behalf Sessions and the Justice Department?

People are making huge deal about Sessions not disclosing and how he needs to go jail, but FBI told him he doesn't need to list. Sure it's very oddball advice that lawyer among others disagree with, but Sessions was given advice by FBI.

I don't buy that for a second because the FBI can take part in investigating all your shit on your SF86.

Is like an after work thing in the IC?

Punch out and proceed to shit all over Trump's administration? Because that would be fucking awesome and justified.

Allard

Do we really think the next one will be any better?

I literally can't think of someone besides David Duke that is worse then Sessions. Yes even that horrible spiteful cretin that is Rudy Giuliani might actually be a better AG then Sessions. The only good thing about Sessions as AG is he is no longer perpetually employed as a Senator.

Do we really think the next one will be any better?

Yes. Sessions is the absolute worst human being to have in that position of power. The damage he is doing and will do will effect lives more than any dumb shit Trump vomits. There is literally nowhere to go but up. Also, given everything we have seen, the next person nominated will go through Senate confirmation and it will be a huge political fight if Sessions does have to resign over Russia. The more this administration is crippled, the better.

So, when we finally get the leak that DeVos met with the Russians, will we actually believe that she was too stupid to know what that could mean? I would.

greycolumbus

The success of others absolutely infuriates me.
So, when we finally get the leak that DeVos met with the Russians, will we actually believe that she was too stupid to know what that could mean? I would.

Her brother already tried to do this. I can see Ben Carson bumbling his way into a Russian meeting though.

Allard

I dont get it....this is old news?

This is why he had to recuse himself, right?

He had to recuse himself for lying in a confirmation hearing in front of the senate. What this talks about is him lying on the form he had to take to get security clearance. He has now lied to two separate agencies over his contacts with Russia.

Top Bottom