• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Coca-Cola, PepsiCo pledge to reduce US sugary drink calorie consumption 20% by 2025

Status
Not open for further replies.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
This is stupid.

I love the shit out of Dr. Pepper. It tastes good and it goes well with fast food. A few months ago though I decided to take my health more seriously and have stopped drinking all carbonated drinks completely.

Moral of the story? That's not the government's business. If I decide I don't want to drink soda anymore, that's my own life. If the fat guy next to me decided he's happy with himself, then good for him.

People took that post too seriously. 2L for $35, really?

Though I wouldn't be against some kind of tax against garbage food. I don't really care since I'm not from the US but if the people of your country clearly have issues in self-control with regards to the amount of trash they consume (obesity levels, et al.) then the government trying to help sounds fine.

GOD DAMN GAF likes their soda, lmao.

Fuck that shit. I never drink it, solely just water and almond milk these days. My only vice is alcohol really and that's still in moderation, but neither are something I regularly consume and I don't think anyone should.

Really though I doubt there's anything these soda companies can or even want to do that would help the diabetes/obesity epidemic in the US.

Though I wouldn't be against some kind of tax against garbage food. I don't really care since I'm not from the US but if the people of your country clearly have issues in self-control with regards to the amount of trash they consume (obesity levels, et al.) then the government trying to help sounds fine.
I don't think it's self control as much as it is a lack of education. Kids aren't even taught what a calorie is in school, just the BS food pyramid. I doubt the average American even realizes how big a portion is supposed to be and that they are eating three times that every meal.

Everyone will have some form of diabetes by then.

I used to drink it a lot, but I stopped like five years ago. The way people around me consume it day in and day out is distressing. This should be a goal for 2020.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
They need smaller sizes. In Japan you can buy 300ml bottles. Bring that over. No one needs to drink a liter in one sitting.

Huh? Is a liter the smallest size in the US?

moggio

Banned
So we moved from sugar to fake sugar, and now we're moving to cancer causing, nasty tasting fake sugar.

I would prefer to move back to sugar again...the cost would get me to go back to water.

While they do taste awful, where is the evidence that artificial sweeteners causes cancer?

Nice, a company that makes a product that is and is perceived to be unhealthy, looks in touch. Reduce portion sizes but keep or even increase price per oz. Make the same or more on less inventory, appear caring, win-win.

Sami+

What makes sugar and nicotine so different?

One of them is extremely addictive, radically affects the user's state of mind, causes heavy withdrawal symptoms, and is the leading cause for lung cancer. All of this is common knowledge.

Come on, man.

Since when did the government become the collective public's adoptive mother?

I'm pretty sure it's just as hard if not harder to to get rid of a sugar addiction than a Nicotine one... In fact, a good friend of mine has managed to quit smoking several times in his life (he did take it up again but still) but he has NEVER managed to cut out sugar for even a day despite trying.

Sugar is a bitch since it's literally in EVERYTHING most of us ever ate or drank that is produced by food companies. So in short, you'd not only have to get rid of ONE single bad product/habit (like Smoking is) but a whole bunch of them all at once to cut out Sugar from your diet.

It will be interesting if their marketing leads people to buy one of the many bottled water products that they own as well. They will get paid either way

RayMaker

Banned
You can never take peoples choice away, if someone want to drink they will, They should just spend the money educating people about nutrition and how they can incorporate full sugar classic coke into there diet healthily.

So from High Fructose Corn Syrup to Aspartame and the other Splenda shit.

I'll keep buying Mexican Coke, at least it has sugar.

So from something that does harm you to two things that are not proven to harm you.

OUTRAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OnPoint

Been making a move toward Stevia flavored drinks in my own life and I am not sad about the switch. I wish they'd move toward that.

Malvolio

One of them is extremely addictive, radically affects the user's state of mind, causes heavy withdrawal symptoms, and is the leading cause for lung cancer. All of this is common knowledge.

Come on, man.

The other is extremely addictive, radically affects the user's state of mind, causes heavy withdrawal symptoms and is the leading cause of diabetes. All of this should be common knowledge.

Come on, man.

How about no?

How about yes
cola is poison

So much sodium it makes you more thirsty not less, diabetes bomb , caffeine for additional addiction factor

that shit is a fucking axis of evil ingredient combination

It destroys your kidneys, gives you diebetes and doesn't even do what drinking is supposed to accomplish.

People who drink nothing but cola simply die...

Nikodemos

One of the many things in this world I can't comprehend: how exactly is cola (and other soft drinks like it) supposed to quench thirst? On the very rare occasions I drank one, the sweetness left me feeling more thirsty, rather than less. I needed a drink of water to wash the taste (and the weird gritty sensation) from my mouth.

billeh

One of the many things in this world I can't comprehend: how exactly is cola (and other soft drinks like it) supposed to quench thirst? On the very rare occasions I drank one, the sweetness left me feeling more thirsty, rather than less. I needed a drink of water to wash the taste (and the weird gritty sensation) from my mouth.
It doesn't quench thirst and that's been pretty well known for years.

People have no idea how to moderate for themselves anymore. You're not going to become obese from having a pop every other day. There's some weird vendetta against sodas, yet there's a hell of a lot more foods out there that people happily cram into their maw that contain HFCS that we don't want the government to regulate/tax.

I'm getting real tired about people posting how soda has soooo much sodium you guyz omg

A can of coke has 15mg (the same as apple juice fyi, ban that sick filth)
The 2 slices of bread in your super organic healthy sandwich have 300mg

You drank 72oz of water at lunch? Great job! Oh but you had a small chicken breast with it, oh man that's like 91mg of sodium, the same sodium-water ratio of coke! I guess you drank all that for nothing, shit man hope you dont die of dehydration...

Go look at the actual data and stop spouting this high in sodium nonsense
Out of all the shit you could dislike soda for, really.

Carl

Meh, i'll drink what i want. I'm gonna die one day (could be tomorrow), i may as well eat and drink what i enjoy instead of what companies/govt tell me to eat/drink.

KorrZ

Cutting out pop is probably the best thing I ever did for my general health. I drastically altered my diet about 3 months ago but I honestly think the biggest factor was going from drinking probably 1L of Coke per day down to 0.

They need smaller sizes. In Japan you can buy 300ml bottles. Bring that over. No one needs to drink a liter in one sitting.

Edit: Apparently you can get the small ones in America. Nice! Now we just need the tiny 160ml cans :)

They have the tiny cans available randomly. But in my experience, both the tiny bottles and cans cost just as much as the regular sizes, for a lot less cola. It's more cost-effective to buy the larger size, and have it for when you want it, or throw out the extra if you don't. Obviously, most people just drink through the entire can once they've opened it, rather than waste it.

So you're paying extra to have self-control forced on you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom