• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COD: Ghosts has an exact same cutscene from MW2

Card Boy

Banned
FFS. The more bad news i hear about this game the more glad i am for skipping COD this year, this is coming from something that has every main COD except for COD3.

Sethos

Banned
Even names get recycled

7LkVBro.gif

Work smarter, not harder.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
I'd father take the homage angle rather than the recycling angle. Only because there's already enough to be angry about this pre launch for next gen.

Reusing assets isn't the biggest crime for me but this on top of many other things is really showing what a cynical rehash Ghosts is.

I mean Black Ops 2 did try and succeeded in freshening up the formula a bit. Ghosts just seems so safe and despite Infinity Ward saying Modern Warfare 4 would be a safe thing, this pretty much feels like Modern Warfare 4 only with a different subtitle.

mclem

Considering how much assets like animations, textures and props are reused through all their games I wouldn't be surprised.

Everyone reuses content, code, effects.

It's good development practice. It should be actively encouraged

Don't reinvent the wheel for the sake of reinventing the wheel.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Infinity Ward has become one of the most disgusting developers in this industry.

Milennia

If they were going to do this, they should have done it with a mw "ghost" scene ( not going to spoil it) .

THAT scene. From MW2.

NotLiquid

Guys it's so obvious that this is a meta-statement criticizing the never-ending stigma attached to the Call of Duty franchise. "It's just the same thing every year", you hear people say. Now, with one fell swoop, Infinity Ward takes a pot-shot at the naysayers and actually recycles an element creating a conflicting paradox within the eyes of the beholder.

What unparalleled genius. Truly Infinity Ward are developers of our time.

Nah, man they're on their hate train. Logic climbed out of the window the moment it was boarded.

Which is fine when you aren't pumping $60+ out of people year over year with minimal engine upgrades, and sloppier work every year. The hyperbole in past years that COD is just a rehashed, cynical cash-in every year is almost completely true at this point.

Dion

Banned
Wasn't this because a stunt car driver passed away in the original Transformers version of the stunt and they did not want to retry the stunt?

Correct.. Someone actually died during a stunt on Transformers 3. So they removed the scene and had to use footage from The Island.

This has nothing to do with recycled content. It's out of respect for the departed.

kazebyaka

Banned
Which is fine when you aren't pumping $60+ out of people year over year with minimal engine upgrades, and sloppier work every year. The hyperbole in past years that COD is just a rehashed, cynical cash-in every year is almost completely true at this point.
so the game only worth full price if the engine is new/heavily updated? Fuck artists, game designers, level designers, music creators, art directors and lots of other people who pour soul and hard work into a game, creating new games. Yeah, fuck these people, only thing that matters is a gameplay and engine. How dare thee use already established engines and gameplay formula people loved all these years. What a nerve.

rezuth

I think at some point it becomes a bit much when we're talking about one of the biggest game series of all time.

Sethos

Banned
so the game only worth full price if the engine is new/heavily updated? Fuck artists, game designers, level designers, music creators, art directors and lots of other people who pour soul and hard work into a game, creating new games. Yeah, fuck these people, only thing that matters is a gameplay and engine.

I hope to god you aren't implying anyone poured their soul into this trash and they worked hard? It's one of their laziest, sloppiest and worst performing games they have released to date.

Gattsu25

Banned
Correct.. Someone actually died during a stunt on Transformers 3. So they removed the scene and had to use footage from The Island.

This has nothing to do with recycled content. It's out of respect for the departed.
I thought she died as well but it looks like she survived but is now paralyzed in half of her body:

Transformers: Dark of the Moon (2011). An extra was seriously injured during a stunt in Hammond, Indiana. Due to a failed weld, a steel cable snapped from a car being towed and hit the extra's car, damaging her skull. The extra, identified as Gabriela Cedillo, had to undergo brain surgery.[67] The injury has left her permanently brain-damaged, paralyzed on her left side and her left eye stitched shut.[68][69] In May 2012, it was revealed that a $18 million settlement had been reached between Paramount and the Cedillo family.[70]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_film_accidents#2010s

mclem

I will pick up on sloppier work; that's a valid criticism. Cutting down on reuse of stock elements wouldn't un-sloppy (uh, it's a word, I swear!) things, though.

I hope to god you aren't implying anyone poured their soul into this trash and they worked hard? It's one of their laziest, sloppiest and worst performing games they have released to date.

You've never worked in the games industry, have you?

Milennia

Nah, man they're on their hate train. Logic climbed out of the window the moment it was boarded.

The bit I'm finding most infuriating is that I'm arguing in defence of modern CoD. And I *really* don't want to do that!

Its so obvious that this is what they tried to do though.

I dont appreciate the cod series much at all anymore either, but im not going to throw logic out of the window myself.

They reused the asset, but did it in such a way the community wont really mind.
They attemped fan service of one of the most iconic scenes in the series whilst reusing assests, its a win-win. (For them) or ( in their eyes)
(Im saying this is what i think they were going for, not how i portray it just for clarification).

so the game only worth full price if the engine is new/heavily updated? Fuck artists, game designers, level designers, music creators, art directors and lots of other people who pour soul and hard work into a game, creating new games. Yeah, fuck these people, only thing that matters is a gameplay and engine. How dare thee use already established engines and gameplay formula people loved all these years. What a nerve.

We are talking about the highest grossing series of all time here, not some grassroots indie upstart. It wouldn't kill them to use some of the money they make on some decent improvements to the franchise.

I will pick up on sloppier work; that's a valid criticism. Cutting down on reuse of stock elements wouldn't un-sloppy (uh, it's a word, I swear!) things, though.

It's the exact same scene with different characters, even the animation is identical. Its pretty shameless. We aren't talking about a reused texture or helicopter model, we are talking about them reusing an entire animation set so that they didn't have to pay for the mo-cap work again. On one of the highest grossing series of all time.

It's hard for me to react to the "it's smart recycling!" angle with anything but incredulity when this is one of the biggest franchises of all time. When CoD is already (perhaps sometimes unfairly) heaped on for pumping out relatively similar games, anything that can be construed as corner cutting probably will. It just looks bad.

But shit, this series has been using the same crappy weapon sound effects for nearly eight years, so who even knows.

kazebyaka

Banned
Single player campaign felt inspired and was pretty awesome to play through, I even consider it among my top 3 CoD campaigns, up there with Blops 1 and Blops 2. It's a very impressive 6 hours of gameplay. Just because the game is undercooked, doesn't mean that people didn't try their best to deliver a great game.

Quixz

You don't need to have worked in the game industry to point out sloppy!

totalbiscuit (yes we don't like him in the these parts) with his SLI Titan setup and 32GB of ram can't even play the game at acceptable frame rates.

mclem

It's the exact same scene with different characters, even the animation is identical. Its pretty shameless. We aren't talking about a reused texture or helicopter model, we are talking about them reusing an entire animation set so that they didn't have to pay for the mo-cap work again. On one of the highest grossing series of all time.

Did that scene need a different animation?

Sethos

Banned

So I need to work in the industry to see it's a recycled engine yet again, with poor texture work, recycled assets all over the place, poor multiplayer map design, poor performance, so far an underwhelming single-player campaign, lots of bugs from what I've seen. Not a single element so far, feature, gameplay or story wise has made me go "Oh, that's neat". This entire game reeks of "That's good enough".

Top Bottom