• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COD: Ghosts has an exact same cutscene from MW2

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Did that scene need a different animation?

Are you serious?

I can't believe we have defenders for this shit but yeah there is a defence force for everything so why am i surprised...

They should be working to disprove the "Same game every year" moniker, not perpetuate it. So I would say yes.

The only thing the games share in common are:

A)Relatively Same Engine with upgrades here and there
B)Perks
C)60FPS
D)Batshit insane storylines.

That's really it.

Sports games are the ONLY genre you can legitimately say they are "the same game".

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I can't tell if this is fanservice. My gut goes with it being recycled animation considering it has a few tweaks (less head movement, etc.) and both scenes have different moods so it doesn't make sense to call it a tribute.

Sometimes you just run out of time to make a game and have to pluck assets from prior games to be reused. It's funny, especially with the near infinite resources available to Activision and the Call of Duty franchise in general, that something like this still pops up, but I wouldn't exactly say it's them being lazy or ruining the franchise based on this alone. Deadlines are still a thing, after all.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
So what? The scene worked well in both games, why do it all again? Wouldn't you rather they spent that money on the rest of the scene than wasting it capturing something they already had?

This is a good spot but I fail to see the problem. They saved some time & money, good for them.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
No, but if you had worked in the games industry, you'd find his phrasing remarkably insensitive.

You know what I find insensitive? Companies fucking me over with rehashed shit.

DarkFlow

Banned
Wait, what? She was 'just an extra' so it doesn't matter?
Did I say it matters? I'm just pointing out they are not a stunt person, and they are not dead. Every time that gets brought up, its "stunt person died!'. So please, taken your faux outrage elsewhere.

Yaari

So what? The scene worked well in both games, why do it all again? Wouldn't you rather they spent that money on the rest of the scene than wasting it capturing something they already had?

This is a good spot but I fail to see the problem. They saved some time & money, good for them.

They saved enough money by practically releasing the same game each year.

With that said, people brushing this off as a homage to MW2? I cant believe it. They been recycling textures and shit for years. Its horrible considering the money they make with this stupid franchise.

T'Zariah

Banned
Christ, GAF goes FULL retard when it comes to COD.

EVERYONE reuses assets. Why? Because it saves TIME that could be spent elsewhere.

DICE did it with BF4, Bungie probably still has some assets from Reach in Destiny however minor or major they may be, ND's Uncharted engine is fully compatible with the PS4 and wasn't really "upgraded" in the traditional sense.

This isn't being "lazy", it's called using common sense and not just trying to please a vocal minority who would bash the franchise as the "same" unless they turned it into something unrecognizable.

mclem

EVERYONE reuses assets. Why? Because it saves TIME that could be spent elsewhere.

Now, just to nip one thing in the bud, because it's a part of this I do agree with: There's an argument, perhaps, that the time saved is not being used in ways that this audience particularly approves of. That is a perfectly valid criticism. But it's important to underline that it is being used somewhere... unless the game had a reduced budget, which I don't believe it did.

Magwik

Banned
Wow, people love to jump in and shit on CoD. But honestly it looks like it is just homage to MW2. No need to go crazy over it.

Gattsu25

Banned
Did I say it matters? I'm just pointing out they are not a stunt person, and they are not dead. Every time that gets brought up, its "stunt person died!'. So please, taken your faux outrage elsewhere.

When you correct someone by saying that "it was just a [x]" you are implying a lessening on impact. The position of "just an" in the phrase "just an extra" implies the you might think it is not as important because the person is in a lesser role (extra vs stuntman).

Just another reason why the english language is too damned complicated for its own good. Without body language and vocal inflection, it's hard to gauge what is intended through text.

I understand that you only meant to correct the fact but the way how the sentence is worded could imply that you consider the person's outcome less important due to a lesser value attributed to that person's job title. I know that wasn't what you are trying to say but that might be the unintended inference that Tiemen is noticing.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Christ, GAF goes FULL retard when it comes to COD.

DICE did it with BF4, Bungie probably still has some assets from Reach in Destiny however minor or major they may be, ND's Uncharted engine is fully compatible with the PS4 and wasn't really "upgraded" in the traditional sense.

This isn't being "lazy", it's called using common sense and not just trying to please a vocal minority who would bash the franchise as the "same" unless they turned it into something unrecognizable.

Well ok then show me more examples when EVERYONE does that, show me an exact same cutscene from let's say the God of War series or MGS or FF, you name it.

MormaPope

Banned
From fan service to insensitivity. CoD Ghosts not only has really weird and inaccurate PC requirements, it runs like ass on most high end pc setups. The PS4 version is rumored to have framerate issues, which are just as noticeable or maybe even more noticeable when compared the Xbox 360 version. The PS3 version of Ghosts looks like muddy ass, performs as good or probably worse than the 360 version. The Xbone version and impressions for that are under wraps, god knows what that version will look like and how it'll perform.

Ghosts is clearly great technically, there seems to be no issues behind the scenes when it comes to shipping out such a great title.

Yaari

You guys don't deserve new animations. It's not like you paid for it.

Game runs on same engine for god knows how many years now, and you post this? Lol.

They banked millions, obviously people paid for it genius. If any publisher should not have to worry about expenses it is Activision.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
No need to react aggresively. You quoted a post that didn't mention a stunt person, so the way you made clear that she was 'just an extra' implied to me that you thought she was somehow 'worth less'. I didn't know she survived, so thank you for clearing it up, but the way you constructed your post made it seem like you thought she wasn't worth much anyway and it wasn't worth re-using footage for.

DarkFlow

Banned
When you correct someone by saying that "it was just a [x]" you are implying a lessening on impact. The position of "just an" in the phrase "just an extra" implies the you might think it is not as important because the person is in a lesser role (extra vs stuntman).

Just another reason why the english language is too damned complicated for its own good. Without body language and vocal inflection, it's hard to gauge what is intended through text.

I understand that you only meant to correct the fact but the way how the sentence is worded could imply that you consider the person's outcome less important due to a lesser value attributed to that person's job title. I know that wasn't what you are trying to say but that might be the unintended inference that Tiemen is noticing.
Well at least you understand what I meant. The poor woman had a cable snap her car in two and gave her brain damage.

test_account

XP-39C²
Why are we arguing about a 18 second scene, in a game that is maybe 5-6 hours long, where the camera and animation is reused from one game to another? Not trying to be rude, i honestly wonder.

This also makes me wonder, are there any sequels that uses 100% new assets?

karasu

The only thing the games share in common are:

A)Relatively Same Engine with upgrades here and there
B)Perks
C)60FPS
D)Batshit insane storylines.

That's really it.

Sports games are the ONLY genre you can legitimately say they are "the same game".

and game play,aesthetics, pacing,etc

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Man, remember that famous "Two guys pick one up" scene from MW2? It's like, the most iconic scene of the entire game. No wonder they pay homage to such an epic and unforgettable scene. Cleary this is fan service.

It's either a really lazy recycle they probably hoped no one would notice or the homage thing.

I tend to think you'll how much you like CoD will decide which one of those you think.

Lazy copy for me.

Did that scene need a different animation?

probably not if it was written to be like that anyways :D

but yeah, highest grossing shooter series in the world and they cant be bothered or "have the budget" to mocap unique cutscenes sounds kind of bad :D

Waaghals

Why are we arguing about a 18 second scene, in a game that is maybe 5-6 hours long, where the camera and animation is reused from one game to another? Not trying to be rude, i honestly wonder.

This also makes me wonder, are there any sequels that uses 100% new assets?

COD is one of the best selling game series there is. They have ripped a sequence of ghosts straight from the ending of MW2.

I don't think anybody cares if some assets carry over, but this is going too far. It's not like they don't have the money.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yes, reusing assets is common. But reusing an entire cutscene script is not.

Edit: I should note that I'm not surprised by the time-saving measures: being asked to develop six SKUs within two years was always going to be a tall order and the uneven end results speak for themselves.

Jezehbell

http://youtu.be/5E82ZkHTiVU

Remember kids, recycling is good!

post-6-0-65974600-1347083704.gif

test_account

XP-39C²
COD is one of the best selling game series there is. They have ripped the ending sequence of ghosts straight from the ending of MW2.

I don't think anybody cares if some assets carry over, but this is going too far. It's not like they don't have the money.
Apparently the scene is from the begining of Ghosts. If the ending scene was the same in both games, then i could understand it a bit more.

Its true that its not a money issue. As you say, Activsion has enough money indeed. I think its more a thing about time saving.

Skeff

I'd normally be ok with this to cut costs on the rigging but to be honest, there is no need for it on CoD, it makes a ridiculous amount of money so it shouldn't have to resort to this.

Then again I'm the type of guy who is happy with re used assets in sequels because why bother designing 2 different lamps, if a game is struggling to make the budget.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
So I need to work in the industry to see it's a recycled engine yet again, with poor texture work, recycled assets all over the place, poor multiplayer map design, poor performance, so far an underwhelming single-player campaign, lots of bugs from what I've seen. Not a single element so far, feature, gameplay or story wise has made me go "Oh, that's neat". This entire game reeks of "That's good enough".

His point is that even bad games are made by people that pour a lot of hard work into what they're doing.

Which is true.

kurahador

lmao...this is straight out rushed development period or just plain lazy.

I get that recycling assets like reloading animation, but entire cutscene?

Varth

So you're telling me a game calld CoD Ghost has a nod to the Cod that actually starred tha character called Ghost?

That's OUTRAGEOUS, I say! People has to know about this kind of practice!

Waaghals

Apparently the scene is from the begining of Ghosts. If the ending scene was the same in both games, then i could understand it a bit more.

True that its not a money issue indeed. I think its more a thing about time saving.

Yeah, I saw that upon viewing the youtube video for a second time. I should really have caught that in the first place, since I am currently 3 missions into the game.

I have amended my original post.

I agree it's not that bad when it's not being used as the ending sequence, but it is still more blatant than I would like. The game is rushed, probably too many platforms with too many different technologies.

Top Bottom