• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COD: Ghosts has an exact same cutscene from MW2

Sethos

Banned
Didn't meant that it was a nod because it was at directly tied to the story per se just; a nod in general. It been earlt could also be seen as "passing the baton". Who knows.

There's some more after it. With the characters getting into the pickup and watching the place falling apart.

Then again guess I'm now part of the defense force...so, back to the game. :p

But there's nothing special about the scene. The ending from MW2 was memorable because of the music, because the scene that led up to that ending, because that was how it ended. Not because of the dragging animation. It's not like people sat and said "Yes, that animation was so fantastic -- No no screw the rest, that dragging animation was fantastic and very memorable"

This is just a recycle of a basic animation, nothing else. No nods, no continuation, no music, no homage, just a recycled animation.

Watch the MW2 ending and tell me the dragging animation is the thing that stands out as super special and memorable; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7v5uDy9Zr0

Xater

Looks more like an homage than a "cut and paste".

That's not ho an homage work. You don#t make a homage just by reusing the exact same animation routine. It says nothing except that they were lazy or ran out of time. An actual homage would involve some form of craft that I fail to see here.

I expected this game to be pretty barebones, just an exercise in getting the brand out there once again whilst Treyarch gets to grips with the new hardware. Nice to see I was right... or, well, not nice, I guess.

Darksol

If any of you were reading a book by one of your favourite authors and found a page that was word-for-word the same as a previous book by said author, would you call that an homage too?

w00zey

That's not ho an homage work. You don#t make a homage just by reusing the exact same animation routine. It says nothing except that they were lazy or ran out of time. An actual homage would involve some form of craft that I fail to see here.

they did turn the helicopter into a car and the ground is different.

What I find interesting though as a side note is how many ways can you pickup up a person who has fallen, have another comrade come get you, and walk off to a vehicle to take you away.

I mean these things are rendered in 3d right? They could have just as easily shown this from any angle.

smr00

Banned
QaLGO0Q.jpg
To be completely fair they did that because a stunt person died.

Christ, GAF goes FULL retard when it comes to COD.

EVERYONE reuses assets. Why? Because it saves TIME that could be spent elsewhere.

DICE did it with BF4, Bungie probably still has some assets from Reach in Destiny however minor or major they may be, ND's Uncharted engine is fully compatible with the PS4 and wasn't really "upgraded" in the traditional sense.

This isn't being "lazy", it's called using common sense and not just trying to please a vocal minority who would bash the franchise as the "same" unless they turned it into something unrecognizable.

Yep, BF4 has tons of reused assets, but this is a cutscene. Why are you reusing the exact same cutscene with different models?

V-Lance

Banned
Hommage or paste, doesn't really matter. This video is going viral faster than a video of Psy twerking Miley Cyrus. And it'll add to the flak that Ghosts is currently getting for being the exact game everyone expected it to be. It's pretty fun to watch this whole thing unfold.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
They used the same animations and camera work, but it hardly copied, almost nothing else is the same besides that. Personally I don't see it as that big of a deal.

Whompa

The people who think this is a homage are insane...

I don't see it as that big of a deal.

What's left that's original besides the 3d models being replaced? So perpetuate laziness? Great! Can't wait for Blops 3 to just be the same exact as 2 but with a few new perks and some new weapon models...

smr00

Banned
The people who think this is a homage are insane...

What's left that's original besides the 3d models being replaced?
I don't think people here defending it quite understand what a homage is.

But fans of something are quite often blind to negative things.

nictron

There are really only so many ways to pick up a wounded buddy and carry him towards another buddy and then on to an objective.

It's funny, but I don't fault anyone.

soultron

Banned
If you need the same animations and the work is done and still exists within the studio, why not? Hopefully it allowed for better polish elsewhere.

Also, it seems like those shots are small parts of much larger cutscenes.

I'd agree if the two scenes just looked similar, but some of the character animations are identical, not just similar, identical as in..... the same animation under a different character model. It looks funny when compared side by side, hardly something they'd have intended if they are doing all this as a "homage".

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
If any of you were reading a book by one of your favourite authors and found a page that was word-for-word the same as a previous book by said author, would you call that an homage too?

Word for word? Those are different characters in a totally different environment. In your example, it'll be more of like rewriting the whole page with the same meaning with different words.

soultron

Banned
It didn't.

You didn't work on the game, so that's purely opinion. Even so, I find it hard to believe that you've consumed all the game has to offer since it just came out yesterday.

This is the part where you retort, "But it's COD, all I need to do is play one to have played them all."

Hrothgar

You didn't work on the game, so that's purely opinion. Even so, I find it hard to believe that you've consumed all the game has to offer since it just came out yesterday.

This is the part where you retort, "But it's COD, all I need to do is play one to have played them all."

Are you suggesting COD: Ghosts is polished?

Dragon

Banned

Dude, you don't need to have played the game to hear about how the framerates are a mess on PCs with friggin Titans. Why are you defending such shittiness as a consumer?

Sethos

Banned

Oh please. Game has received a lukewarm reception, big YouTube personalities are calling it mediocre, the performance is shit on almost every platform and the game on PC has performance issues on Titan based setups. Maps are boring even popular modes have been removed. It's a massive step back, don't tell me any of this shit has been polished.

blacks are crushed in 'the island' but 'transformers 3' looks washed out. very disappointing

The transformers pic is from a pirate copy. I remember this showing up like the day before it was to be released in cinemas.
It was either a huuuuuuuuuge Island fan who spotted it and was lucky to see a preview screening or some guy in the SFX dept was pissed off and couldn't wait to leak the laziness.

Atruvius

That video is cut so they look a lot more similar. The cutscene is Ghost is in slow-motion with some cuts to black as if the main character were passing out. I'd say this was smart use of some old assets.

And I wouldn't wonder if Infinity Ward has been lowered down to as the B team for the series with a bit more limited budget, at least compared Treyarch. That would explain this and why Black Ops 2 actually introduced some new stuff while Ghost is more of the old stuff.

Game-Biz

Not a fan of COD, but I'm not really seeing what the big deal is here. It's a short little scene; and they just wanted to save some time and money.

soultron

Banned
Are you suggesting COD: Ghosts is polished?

Dude, you don't need to have played the game to hear about how the framerates are a mess on PCs with friggin Titans. Why are you defending such shittiness as a consumer?

Oh please. Game has received a lukewarm reception, big YouTube personalities are calling it mediocre, the performance is shit on almost every platform and the game on PC has performance issues on Titan based setups. Maps are boring even popular modes have been removed. It's a massive step back, don't tell me any of this shit has been polished.

Let me clarify by stating I said "elsewhere," not the entire product. Maybe reusing a few animations allowed animators to better polish the nifty zero-G weapon reload animations, something I've not seen in a game before. (Maybe Shattered Horizon has them? I've not played.)

I say all this as someone who hasn't played a COD game since MW3. I'm not "defending" Ghosts as a product, but I am defending the decision to reuse 2 short shots, especially as someone who works in games.

todd360

I can't believe my best friend is more excited to get this game on ps4 than killzone. The worst part is the I can't wait for the new duty! It comes out every year. These cod only gamers don't know true waiting. I have waited for final fantasy 13 versus for an entire console generation now practically.

Already said it in another thread, but again: you don't pay "homage" to yourself, and particularly not to previous work in the same series. An homage is basically polite recognition of an inspiration, not a Family Guy style "reference" or comedic "call-back".

There is a precedent for using the exact same framing for two scenes within the same work, but it's done for specific artistic reasons. I have no idea what the context of the scene is in Ghosts, so I can't say with any authority whether or not it successfully uses the framing technique to create an effective reprise. If it doesn't have an actual narrative value, though - if you aren't watching the two scenes and saying, for instance, "things have changed so much - and yet it all comes back to this in the end, doesn't it?" - then it's laziness.

Forkball

Uh, this is clearly an allegory to MW2. You guys just don't get HIGH ART. They should call the next game L'Calle of Duty: Raphael's Requital.

Sethos

Banned
Let me clarify by stating I said "elsewhere," not the entire product. Maybe reusing a few animations allowed animators to better polish the nifty zero-G weapon reload animations, something I've not seen in a game before. (Maybe Shattered Horizon has them? I've not played.)

What zero-G animation? They seem to reload exactly like every other weapon just slowed down 40%

To suggest that it was laziness is to suggest that they thought they could get one over on people and that no one would notice using a memorable sequence from one of the best selling games of all time to an audience they know has played that game.

You have to be pretty stupid yourself to think that such stupidity would be possible. It has to be a nod.

pa22word

smfh gaf...

Remember when shawn elliot posted that sometimes gaf threads just make you shake your head and laugh at the overwhelming ignorance in them when it comes to game development? This is a perfect example of that in motion.

Jawmuncher

To suggest that it was laziness is to suggest that they thought they could get one over on people and that no one would notice using a memorable sequence from one of the best selling games of all time to an audience they know has played that game.

You have to be pretty stupid yourself to think that such stupidity would be possible. It has to be a nod.

Considering the stats for the amount of people who actually complete the SP you'd be surprised that this might not be a NOD and just laziness.

Personally I'm going into the camp of both.
Something like this regardless is a bit of a nod, but at the same time it reeks of a bit of laziness to.

BearPawB

Banned
This is not a homage...it is going "we can reuse these animations"/

And maybe nothing is wrong with that...but to call it a homage

Varth

Aside from "linking" the ending from that game with the beginning of the one that features the ACTUAL Ghost character I don't know how they could have made more obvious that it's a nod.

The fact that discussion on the game has come to that even though there's plenty of stuff to criticize about it is pretty telling.

Top Bottom