• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COD: Ghosts has an exact same cutscene from MW2

soultron

Banned
What zero-G animation? They seem to reload exactly like every other weapon just slowed down 40%

I was watching a video last night (maybe the GT review?) that showed some of the space combat and I remember seeing a reload anim during one of the exotic space fights and it looked almost like the ejected magazine was floating away.

I'll never play that sequence but I hope spent mags float around in space and act as real physics objects, colliding with the environment and characters. (Casings would probably be too heavy, I'm guessing, but it'd be wicked if they acted the same way and stayed in the environment.)

Kinyou

I remember a MW3 SP level reusing a building from a MW2 multiplayer map, so I wouldn't be surprised if this is really just recycled mo-cap data.

I was watching a video last night (maybe the GT review?) that showed some of the space combat and I remember seeing a reload anim during one of the exotic space fights and it looked almost like the ejected magazine was floating away.

I'll never play that sequence but I hope spent mags float around in space and act as real physics objects, colliding with the environment and characters. (Casings would probably be too heavy, I'm guessing, but it'd be wicked if they acted the same way and stayed in the environment.)
Yeah I remember that as well from the GT review.

That's hilarious, I hope people go crazy analyzing the cutscenes and they find more.
Doesn't beat EA recycling that entire soccer game though.

Slacker

I saw a quote somewhere comparing mass-produced pop music to food at Olive Garden. It can be enjoyable enough, but the chef at Olive Garden doesn't really care if you love your meal. He just wants to earn a paycheck and get out of there.

Titles like this are the Olive Garden of gaming. I'm sure it's not a terrible game, but I'm also betting you can't detect the developers passion for making great games in there either.

antitrop

Titles like this are the Olive Garden of gaming. I'm sure it's not a terrible game, but I'm also betting you can't detect the developers passion for making great games in there either.

Call of Duty 4 had passion bursting out of the fucking game case.

Duallusion

They reused this scene because in the actual stunt they tried for Transformers the stunt driver was killed. They obviously didn't want to use that footage and didn't have time to design a different, safer stunt.

Is there a link to this? Google doesn't seem to know anything about anyone dying; just injured.

Dyno

It's not surprising, IW is now kind of a smaller team (70-80 normal, up to 150 at crunch) and they made this game run across six different platforms. I'm sure, despite the new features, that they cut corners whenever they could.

It's a shame. I was going to by Ghosts when I got the PS4. New console generation = wipe away preconceptions and experience the new. Now with the various criticisms swirling about I may not bother.

They reused this scene because in the actual stunt they tried for Transformers the stunt driver was killed. They obviously didn't want to use that footage and didn't have time to design a different, safer stunt.
Maybe the guy making the Ghosts cutscene died too. It wouldn't really be appropriate to keep using that ending, out of respect for the man and his family.

Afrodium

Banned
I can't believe that people in this thread are suggesting that IW should have wasted time and money in paying mo-cap actors and reanimating an entire animation that they already have just so that fanboys on the internet don't call them lazy. Yes, CoD is one of the biggest franchises in gaming, and yes, they have plenty of money to recreate every single animation an asset. However, this doesn't mean that they shouldn't budget money responsibly and save time when they can, especially when they have to make 6 versions of the game.

I haven't played a CoD since MW2, so I have no investment in this, but this thread is just making me shake my head.

antitrop

I can't believe that people in this thread are suggesting that IW should have wasted time and money in paying mo-cap actors and reanimating an entire animation that they already have just so that fanboys on the internet don't call them lazy.
Well, they're lazy because they launched a game with broken SLI support, no FoV slider, and dated graphics. The whole reused animation thing is just kind of a funny sidenote.

Sanke__

With all of the comparisons between call of duty and the transformers movies, the had to pay homage in some way.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I'm #dead at people saying asset reuse is normal. Who is arguing that? I have no issue if dice reuses crates or wall textures. Who cares?

Name another game that has reused an entire cutscene. Name any game.

Calling a cutscene an "asset" is stretching it already.

KingFire

Banned
I'm #dead at people saying asset reuse is normal. Who is arguing that? I have no issue if dice reuses crates or wall textures. Who cares?

How about using entire levels? Isn't that just as bad in terms of content? A scene will play for a few minutes, but an entire level? And yes, I can name some, but you will probably say something like, "nostalgia and fan services don't count."

This is nostalgia fan service for the CoD userbase. Ah man i remember 2009, Kindergarten was awesome.

Only 00s kids will understand.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!

How can you call it an entire cutscene when the environment, characters, sound and story are all completely different?

The animation and the camera bob are just as much assets as any of those things.

Y2Kev

How about using entire levels? Isn't that just as bad in terms of content? A scene will play for a few minutes, but an entire level? And yes, I can name some, but you will probably say something like, "nostalgia and fan services don't count."
Not really. Lots of games reuse levels because the gameplay experience can change. I can definitely name lots of games that reuse or tweak and then reuse level design.

Cutscenes...they're purely meant to be consumed passively.

think about what it would take to even write yourself into a place where your generic cutscene could even be reused. That's kind of impressive.

Varth

Is the "dude gets carried ten feet" scene really iconic enough for an homage?

Apparently it's iconic enough for people to recognize it and start this all.

It's in almost every CoD as far as I can remember, together with the slowmo dramatic moment with guys about to be overwhelmed seconds before the air cavalry comes and other commonplaces of the military shooter genre.

Y2Kev

How can you call it an entire cutscene when the environment, characters, sound and story are all completely different?

The animation and the camera bob are just as much assets as any of those things.
Cutscenes are by definition two things: mise-en-scene and camera work. I personally feel that reducing it to camera bob is somewhat demeaning unless you feel that animation like that can be grossly applicable across long (10 seconds+) sequences of events.

I mean, story? Like I said above, I'm amazed the story could be so similar that the same 20 second scene is grossly appropriate!

You mentioned sound. Would it be ok if they reused the music from other games?

antitrop

It's in almost every CoD as far as I can remember, together with the slowmo dramatic moment with guys about to be overwhelmed seconds before the air cavalry comes and other commonplaces of the military shooter genre.

Medal of Honor 2010 did that scene pretty well.

Everywhere else, this would be a nice little footnote, a trivia fact.

On GAF it's the end of the world, the downfall of western society, a vindication of all the poor game connoisseurs who have been wronged by the success of COD for so long, their voices smothered by the storm of feckless casuals ruining their favourite hobby with their bro style and obnoxious reluctance to accept that they shouldn't enjoy the series that much.

codhand

On GAF it's the end of the world, the downfall of western society, a vindication of all the poor game connoisseurs who have been wronged by the success of COD for so long, their voices smothered by the storm of feckless casuals ruining their favourite hobby with their bro style and obnoxious reluctance to accept that they shouldn't enjoy the series that much.

no one said all that, it's simply another sign of smoke, pointing towards a larger fire, with regard to the downfall of the quality this series had

antitrop

It's not the end of the world, the only one having a breakdown here is you.

Hell, I'll quote myself from THIS very page:

...The whole reused animation thing is just kind of a funny sidenote.

Sethos

Banned
It's not the end of the world, the only one having a breakdown here is you.

Hell, I'll quote myself from THIS very page:

Indeed. It's funny because Ghosts is already on a slippery slope. However this particular situation isn't the main issue.

QaLGO0Q.jpg

Very appropriate since Call of Duty is to games what Michael Bay is to movies.

Top Bottom