• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COD: Ghosts has an exact same cutscene from MW2

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Isn't Ghost the character they're dragging in MW2? Seems like this was an intentional homage considering how early in the campaign for Ghosts this takes place.

Id understand if CoD was some kind of niche series, but they rake money oceans of money with this series. Its kind of embarrassing to just slap new models over existing mocap

I wonder if someone higher up called for this? I know thats what happened with the Disney even as the animators protested it wouldn't actually save time or money (although reusing reference for hand drawn animation is way more effort than just reusing mocap)

I seriously doubt it's about budget and more about time. Assuming this isn't an homage to past games (which I think it is), it's not that bad that they've done it. You can't just throw money and people at things and expect the same quality as you'd get with adequate time. Those that have managed software projects effectively know good and well that executives' expectations are akin to throwing nine women in a room and getting a baby in a month. It just doesn't work that way.

Hagi

I haven't bought Ghosts yet but i doubt i would have noticed this if i had. Not that big of a deal to me really i think MW2 was actually the last COD campaign i bothered to finish lol

This is why Ghost is running 720p on Xbone and having frame rate issues with PS4, IW is just plain lazy. If Dice could get 64 players, vehicles, huge maps and destructible environments running at a smooth 60fps then there is absolutely no reason for Ghost not to be running 1080p 60fps on both next gen consoles.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
This post made me laugh. MGS certainly does reuse cutscene assets in multiple games. MGS4 uses parts of MGS1, as does MGS2. I think 3 is the only game that does not. Given your username, I would think you would know this :D

You and the others who replied didn't understand my question. Have you seen the video in the OP? i'm not talking about the freakin assets, i mean an EXACT same CUTSCENE just like the one in the OP ffs.

I'm pretty sure God of War has used the same hideous jump animation in 6 games now.

No shit, ever played Tekken? all the chars still have the same fighting style... but that's not what i mean.

So are those basically the same ending? If so, It is clearly a homage.

If it was just in a random cutscene then it is certainly lazy.

Korten

Banned
It's a bit difficult for IW after all the talent left. They gotta work with what they have, even if that entails c/p...

Funny thing is with your avatar... While not cutscenes, Dark Souls uses many... MANY assets from Demon's Souls. Hell many of the weapons/armors are the exact same, even the minion (the undead) enemies are the same .

And hell they didn't even release 1 year apart. But obvious using many more assets than a 15 second animation is TOTALLY a different thing.

How in the buggering hell could you consider this an homage? Is there something I'm missing here? Is there even a slight shred of detail that connects the context of this scene to the end of MW2? Does everyone here know what an homage means?

Gaz_RB

How in the buggering hell could you consider this an homage? Is there something I'm missing here? Is there even a slight shred of detail that connects the context of this scene to the end of MW2? Does everyone here know what an homage means?

Before I played the game, I assumed it was homage.

After beating it, I don't think it was.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I know some people are joking... But this isn't about "fan service," so let's not kid ourselves and give them that as the narrative for their reaponse

Synless

I know some people are joking... But this isn't about "fan service," so let's not kid ourselves and give them that as the narrative for their reaponse
I can't believe some people are even suggesting it as an option. It is clearly a lazy, cost costing decision.

Probably story boarded out a scene then realized it was similar to the MW2 sequence. Why not reuse some animation that you already have in-house? Why is this a big deal?

Lol@ this and the gears of war ear piece animation being the same. Stop it.
Gears of war 3!

Jesus never seen a game use the same character model in a campaign EVER!!

That extra model with the hat was round every bloody corner!!!

Had him on screen twice at the same time a few times

Really took me out the atmosphere did that!!

This is proof that Call of Duty is complete genius. My fellow gamers, this isn't them recycling their material.. Far from it! This is obviously them making a statement about how the video game industry is treading water, and how similar these games tend to be.

This is the greatest art game of our generation.

Marjar

Banned
Um yeah I'm feeling like this isn't a homage.

I mean, judging by how completely bad of a port the PC version is, and how lacking the technical aspects of the game are in general, I really can't help but assume laziness.

Charcoal

This may have been said already but,

I feel like when they write the script, they intentionally work it around stuff they can easily recycle. It makes sense to do that, but that doesn't mean it won't be considered lazy. This is a staple in Maddens framework for example, but when the scene takes 30~ seconds of screen, it's a pretty big deal.

SHADES

Personally I'd at least expect a "hey guys, see if you can spot our nod to the past" or the like comment otherwise it does look lazy especially coming from a fragmented IW after sledgehammer with MW3 which was all kinds of lazy.

I'm defo feeling the lazy on this one.

Maybe I'm not taken aback by this because I've watched a lot of old anime as of late
KuGsj.gif

looking at this games PC version and by GOD is it terrible

old animation.... looks like a 2006/07 game, terrible stutter, fps issues

even with its average scores the gaming press where too nice for this monstrosity

So I need to work in the industry to see it's a recycled engine yet again, with poor texture work, recycled assets all over the place, poor multiplayer map design, poor performance, so far an underwhelming single-player campaign, lots of bugs from what I've seen. Not a single element so far, feature, gameplay or story wise has made me go "Oh, that's neat". This entire game reeks of "That's good enough".

This one has the best campaign and MP since MW2. And what bugs? Please do elaborate.

I get it's trendy to hate CoD just because it's CoD on GAF, but come on.

Sethos

Banned
This one has the best campaign and MP since MW2. And what bugs? Please do elaborate.

I get it's trendy to hate CoD just because it's CoD on GAF, but come on.

Oh people need to cut that shit, "Oh it's bandwagon hate". I have pretty much every single Call of Duty released on PC in my steam catalogue. I have every single Call of Duty released for the 360, some of them collector's edition, I'm very fond of CoD but this game does NOT have the best campaign

And it certainly does not have the best MP, closer to the worst with the awful ass maps.

Bugs? I've had waterfalls flashing like disco balls making it impossible to see anything in an area, I've seen Riley and other characters walk through walls, I've been stuck in a view from inside my characters face forcing me to restart the game, animation errors, seen a truck what appeared to be pogo stick jumping and it's just a continuation list of bugs and weird shit going on - Never seen it this bad in any Call of Duty I've played.

Oh and let's not forget the engine is a hot mess.

Argonomic

Christ, GAF goes FULL retard when it comes to COD.

EVERYONE reuses assets. Why? Because it saves TIME that could be spent elsewhere.

DICE did it with BF4, Bungie probably still has some assets from Reach in Destiny however minor or major they may be, ND's Uncharted engine is fully compatible with the PS4 and wasn't really "upgraded" in the traditional sense.

This isn't being "lazy", it's called using common sense and not just trying to please a vocal minority who would bash the franchise as the "same" unless they turned it into something unrecognizable.

I scripted the original scene in MW2 and co-directed those animations.

Reuse is important to making a good game. Players focus varies, and it is only through reuse that you can reasonably guarantee that an asset will even be noticed. The "animated credits" in CoD1 exists partially to insure that players actually got to see the animations in the game.

Making good games is often about how you prioritize your time. You want to spend as much as possible on the things players will appreciate. You could make a different "open the door" anim for each door in the game, but that will not be appreciated as much as putting in new and different gameplay. So you reuse where you can.

That being said, this case of reuse is not the same as the above, because the reuse is of a custom, signature moment from an early game's story. That would be find if it were a flash back, I suppose.

I suppose that makes me a Ghost writer.

Sethos

Banned
That being said, this case of reuse is not the same as the above, because the reuse is of a custom, signature moment from an early game's story. That would be find if it were a flash back, I suppose.

Well that's a funny turn of events for this thread.

I guess the crunch to get this game ready for so many platforms hurt it in a number of ways. At least a recycled animation sequence is pretty unimportant compared to the apparent performance issues being reported.

HoodWinked

i think its neat. to redo the animation for those scenes is not outside the budget and they could have framed it different which would have made it look completely different but chose not to. i dont think it was a decision based on being 'lazy' they probably deliberately did it as a easter egg.

the usage of 'lazy' whenever it comes to game development is fucking stupid btw.

I watched the entire opening level on YouTube, and that scene doesn't look like any kind of "homage" at all, just a "pick the guy up off the floor scene". Cant say I would have noticed without this thread however (although it was funny to see them side by side).

But this is CoD, they re-use animations everywhere, weapon reloads, player animations etc, to me its just the way CoD has been, but I see the point that a cut scene is a bit bigger than the same old M4 reload in every game.

BBboy20

I scripted the original scene in MW2 and co-directed those animations.

Reuse is important to making a good game. Players focus varies, and it is only through reuse that you can reasonably guarantee that an asset will even be noticed. The "animated credits" in CoD1 exists partially to insure that players actually got to see the animations in the game.

Making good games is often about how you prioritize your time. You want to spend as much as possible on the things players will appreciate. You could make a different "open the door" anim for each door in the game, but that will not be appreciated as much as putting in new and different gameplay. So you reuse where you can.

I suppose that makes me a Ghost writer.
I noticed you guys used the same slow door opening from COD4 in MW2. It's fine with the small little touches when, logically, that would be the process for them to pursue anyways but this...I mean, if COD actually wasn't spammed every year, this could have slide (like the Star Trek movies always taking a certain shot from the previous film) but then again, COD isn't Star Trek and the fact that all they did is used the save data from a 2009 and retouched it graphically for a major cut scene....

Top Bottom