• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COD Ghosts Xbox One offline (2 weeks before launch) not possible without Live?

Interesting.. I'll stick with CBOAT till confirmation.

But all cboat confirmed was that developers have the option to disable offline play. We already no that's an option for all developers for Xbox One and PS4. Maybe we're finding out this is easier to enable on Xbox One, but it's still the developer's decision.

But he can't get into network settings so even if they do 'flip a switch', the console can't connect online to even realize the theoretical switch has been flipped.

But his console was already set up before the ban so unless he changed his wifi password for some arbitrary reason, he should be just fine connecting on launch.

SRTtoZ

Oh boy. The ban happened way before the 24 hour check in. He can not play anything on the console after the ban. MS clearly banned online and offline on his console till closer to release. He says he talked to them and he if fine with whatever they did.

Na, I think its 24 hours. But even so, this would lead us to a bigger issue. MS can lock you out of your own offline singleplayer games? You're okay with this?

MaulerX

Oh boy. The ban happened way before the 24 hour check in. He can not play anything on the console after the ban. MS clearly banned online and offline on his console till closer to release. He says he talked to them and he if fine with whatever they did.

I could have sworn he was still playing after the ban. Seems like the 24 hr check in kicked in and this is where we're at. I'm just taking an educated guess that he never got the DRM removal patch.

We are trying their patience? The customers who will theoretically be paying their salaries?
This rumor popped up from a leaked Xbone that was console banned and it's 2 weeks before launch at 10pm PST on a Sunday night.
Yeah, we can give them some time to figure out what is blocking this guy from playing.

Does anyone know if the WiiU, PS3, or 360 boxes say anything either?
The grocery store I work at did have copies of Call of Duty: Ghosts available (although to be fair, that was a special promotion event; our store never sells games nowadays) for the PS3 and Xbox 360. I never looked at the back of the copies, though this was because I have absolutely no interest in ever getting the game. Kind of wish I did now you asked this question. That said, give me a few minutes to search on the web.

Steel

Banned
But all cboat confirmed was that developers have the option to disable offline play. We already no that's an option for all developers for Xbox One and PS4. Maybe we're finding out this is easier to enable on Xbox One, but it's still the developer's decision.

I think what CBOAT was getting at is that the implementation of the DRM was tied and designed into the individual games and that's probably still being worked out, and will probably be worked out by launch day.

TyrantII

Guys. Man. I'm not getting an Xbox One one but geez ... I can't imagine the patience Panello and Nelson have to have to deal with us sometimes --- and trust me, I'm no fan of either especially after e3/the Angry Joe debacle, but ... lets just calm it down a bit.

Nature abhors a vacuum. Think we can agree Microsoft hasn't exactly been putting their best messaging forward, and has been circling the wagons when getting called on messaging that doesn't pass the BS sniff test (high bar here).

Their best, organic PR was someone getting a XB1 early and just showing people it. And they shut it down! Why!? And now how they shut him down is becoming the story, if it's what it sounds like.

We could all be oohing and aweing over snapping, apps, and COD running at 60FPS right now if they realized the positive PR potential of just letting some Joe show off his new toy gleefully.

That boggles my mind.

PBY

Banned
Man. CBOAT posting here just started all kinds of nonsense.

It's the sort of Glenn Beck-ism that I hate- "IM NOT SAYING OBAMA IS AN AMERICA-HATING COMMUNIST- BUT YOU NEVER KNOW I'M JUST ASKING QUESTIONS."

If you have news, spill it- but don't fuel the flames with nothing.

Orca

So am I the only one who finds it concerning that The Major decided to remove that tweet from existence and distance himself from what ever is happening in a span of 15mins...not a good sign normally seems like a CYA move.

This is the kind of reading into things that makes threads here get stupid in a hurry.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Guys. Man. I'm not getting an Xbox One one but geez ... I can't imagine the patience Panello and Nelson have to have to deal with us sometimes --- and trust me, I'm no fan of either especially after e3/the Angry Joe debacle, but ... lets just calm it down a bit.

Mostly likely the guy didn't download the day one patch but something else and after his console was banned (which I don't agree with but understand) he could no longer check-in.

Obviously this sort of clumsy silliness is why I'll be staying away from the xbox one in the first place but can we let these guys stand up before throwing rocks at them.

If you want to do this, do this:

see%20no%20evil.jpg

But don't blame anyone but yourself if you end up with this:

engineering-brick.jpg

TyrantII

So let us wait until all the information is on the table before we start jumping to conclusions.

If it turns out that your console can get essentially bricked, then we have an issue.

Fair enough. MS should easily be able to squash this quickly if it's not true. But people are already on edge because of the DRM episode.

It also won't be happening tonight and GAF never sleeps. So buckle up until people get to work tomorrow. It's going to be a long night.

Ah, here it is. Copies for the PS3 version of Call of Duty: Ghosts:
20131029-111226-620x378.jpg

However, do note that the Xbox One version boxart also mentions one to two players separate from the one to sixteen players offered on Xbox Live, so offline play should be included.

Lynn616

Na, I think its 24 hours. But even so, this would lead us to a bigger issue. MS can lock you out of your own offline singleplayer games?

It is a big issue for anyone getting a system before the 22nd. They have always had the ability. After the 22nd I don't think you will need to worry about that.

Finalizer

Man. CBOAT posting here just started all kinds of nonsense.

It's the sort of Glenn Beck-ism that I hate- "IM NOT SAYING OBAMA IS AN AMERICA-HATING COMMUNIST- BUT YOU NEVER KNOW I'M JUST ASKING QUESTIONS."

If you have news, spill it- but don't fuel the flames with nothing.

Like I said earlier, CBOAT might not be able to delve further in the interest of protecting his identity.

For what it's worth, it might simply be that CoDogs just needs its own day-one patch to remove its end of the DRM stuff as well. Though that's assuming it's a per-game thing - wasn't the guy in the OP able to play other games offline post-ban as well, or have I misunderstood?

Pop

But...then why only on Xbox One?

mrg6290

Their best, organic PR was someone getting a XB1 early and just showing people it. And they shut it down! Why!?

Because the software is not finished yet. They wouldn't want minor issues/bugs from unfinished code blowing up on the internet. Unfortunately that is exactly what seems to be happening anyways...

But his console was already set up before the ban so unless he changed his wifi password for some arbitrary reason, he should be just fine connecting on launch.
Nope.

On the father and son Youtube video where there XBox One gets banned as soon as they connect to live, they get pushed back out to the main menu, then have to go back into settings > network to choose their connection and re-enter their password (I was actually surprised it didn't remember it).

If those 150 consoles out there get hit with the 24 hour DRM thing (assuming that's what this is) and they can't go back into the settings, they're screwed.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I could have sworn he was still playing after the ban. Seems like the 24 hr check in kicked in and this is where we're at. I'm just taking an educated guess that he never got the DRM removal patch.

He posted some stuff like this earlier. This was POST ban.

4CRCM6k.png

So this is either leaning towards the 24 hour thing, or he has another copy of ghosts on the 360 and was talking about that, but it doesn't seem like it with the way it's worded here.

I still find it to be absolutely hilarious that no one really knows how the Xbox One is going to work. Microsoft has done an atrocious job of explaining things in a black and white manner about basic system functionality, like playing a damn video game.

This shit is maddening to me and I'm not even getting an Xbox One. I could only imagine how you early adopters feel. You have my sympathy.

I'm going with the assumption that there's nothing to see here really... I'll check back within the next 12 hours to see if GAF has melted down.

MS reversed its DRM policy long before Ghosts went Gold. There are two possibilities:

1. The DRM patch is not yet online, and that the patch this guy downloaded was unrelated
2. Infinity Ward forgot to remove the bit of code that required an online connection, thus alienating customers who buy it just for the campaign.

But the latter is unlikely for another reason; the boxart does not state that it requires an online connection to play campaign.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
He posted some stuff like this earlier. This was POST ban.

4CRCM6k.png

So this is either leaning towards the 24 hour thing, or he has another copy of ghosts on the 360 and was talking about that, but it doesn't seem like it with the way it's worded here.

He definitely has a 360 copy, as he was doing 360/XB1 comparisons during the twitter fest.

I know, i think Sony even confirmed this as well around Feb.

But if this is one the special cases. I find it very strange PS4 gets offline play but not X1. Just wouldn't make sense at all.

KoopaTheCasual

I'm not trying to say "Sony too" More like if a game like COD insisted on always online Sony would damn well let them. I was trying to emphasize the strangeness of COD going always online on only Xbox one if it was the case, and I don't think it is..

There is an image from the 1st or 2nd page of this thread with someone holding a COD PS4 case with "Offline play enabled" clearly printed on the back. Whatever is going on (working out kinks in the patch/ kid downloaded wrong patch/ Activision trying to push for always online/ MS pushing it) it has nothing to do with Sony or the PS4 copy of CoD.

I'm thinking the Day 1 patch for XB1 is not free of bugs and this is just a mistake.

Steel

Banned
MS reversed its DRM policy long before Ghosts went Gold. There are two possibilities:

1. The DRM patch is not yet online, and that the patch this guy downloaded was unrelated
2. Infinity Ward forgot to remove the bit of code that required an online connection, thus alienating customers who buy it just for the campaign.

But the latter is unlikely for another reason; the boxart does not state that it requires an online connection to play campaign.

It could go gold without the drm removed and then require a patch to remove said drm which will be available day one.

Fair enough. MS should easily be able to squash this quickly if it's not true. But people are already on edge because of the DRM episode.

It also won't be happening tonight and GAF never sleeps. So buckle up until people get to work tomorrow. It's going to be a long night.

People are on edge cause its GAF. I get being passionate, but sometimes the most minor thing is blown up to a fifty page thread.

What evidence is there that Microsoft or dev's can stop you from playing SP content.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
He definitely has a 360 copy, as he was doing 360/XB1 comparisons during the twitter fest.

Oh yeah, good point. Guess we need actual clarification from him if he ever attempted to play Ghosts on the Xbox One system after the ban.

Shit. Ok, I officially feel sorry for everyone at Microsoft. They hooked this guy up with a trip to the launch event and made sure he doesn't get banned and now he's just giving them even more headaches.

I feel you, Larry.
They also assured him that his console was taken care of (Larry even posted here that everything was good, no more problems!) 24 hours later, he has a brick. I feel bad for the dude that was lied to.

Steel

Banned
People are on edge cause its GAF. I get being passionate, but sometimes the most minor thing is blown up to a fifty page thread.

What evidence is there that Microsoft or dev's can stop you from playing SP content.

The Cboat post and waiting for Albert Penello's whispered post is what's got this blowing up.

Top Bottom