• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COD Ghosts Xbox One offline (2 weeks before launch) not possible without Live?

viveks86

Technically the system is not out yet. Can't blame MS as they were pretty clear that update is not ready and they still working on it. Now target screwed them as people are trying to function a machine that is technically not ready.

I say wait till release date for any judgement

Wise words. At least, let's wait till there is an explicit confirmation from either insiders or Albert.

f0lken

So, doesn't Microsoft being able to remote brick a console deserve its own topic?

I'm thinking hard here and I can't seem to recall ANY other Consumer Electronic device where the manufacture can disable it remotely on a whim; beholding you to their customer service to get your device back.

I'm sure the number of innocent people being effected would be small, but it still matters for those innocent or mistaken. And I really have no idea how this would fly with consumer protection laws outside the US (probably not at all).

Imagine Apple shutting down your iPhone remotely, or MSI/Lenovo flicking off the switch to your laptop?

This is pretty much the same anti-consumer crap that Sony Music rightfully got raked over the coals for hijacking computers with rootkits. It's all really bad anti-consumer BS.

They don't do it, but they sure can.

I hope this is just the patch not finalized and not Microsoft lying. If this is true, I am going to be absolutely furious.
Ok, I just found a picture of Call of Duty: Ghosts Xbox One packaging.

It does NOT say offline play is enabled.

whatcallzko80.jpg

This doesn't confirm anything one way or the other, of course, but there it is.
But the PlayStation 4 version has offline enabled. I don't see why the Xbox One version wouldn't have it either; considering they're both identical.

Barzul

What is the deal with MS remotely locking consoles that I am hearing about? That is the first I've ever heard of that, and it is total bullshit if true, regardless of the reason. That is seriously intrusive.

They didn't lock the console they revoked access to Live until closer to launch for the units that shipped early. I mean he could play offline yesterday. This is an anomaly going by Pennello and Major Nelson's tweets.

Lynn616

The fact that Albert and Major are "looking into it" just confirms to me DRM is alive and well (depending on pubs). Or XBL bans block offline and online play. Either way thats fucking horrible.

The guy clearly says he can not do anything on his console. He can not play any game on it. This seems to be a special case for a pre launch ban. He and MS have talked and he seems cool with whatever is happening.

RS4-

I hope this is just the patch not finalized and not Microsoft lying. If this is true, I am going to be absolutely furious.But the PlayStation 4 version has offline enabled. I don't see why the Xbox One version wouldn't have it either; considering they're both identical.

In name only.

-PXG-

A mod should edit the title with something like [CBOAT post #291] or something like that. Just a suggestion

neptunes

I can't believe every time Neogaf gets its jimmies in a bunch over something, Microsoft execs come running to quiet us down before shit gets out of hand. It's really amazing. It's a Sunday night and they are worried about making sure they squash whatever issue is happening.
Can't imagine they want kotaku and other website reporting on any misinformation. Especially on a Monday.

TyrantII

We don't know if they can shut the console down remotely though. It could just be a side effect of using non-final OS code. Benefit of the doubt, for now.

Gotcha, lets hope that's true and it's just a feature of a Dev OS. I can see that being a legit protection to keep Dev units out of non-developer hands.

But part of me wonders if this is one of those things in the CBOAT treasure chest bomb.

It's one thing (ok) to block you from a network. It's another thing to disable consumer hardware at the hardware level remotely.

It shows that the MS may able to reverse their Xbone DRM policy in the future. This is worrying and I wouldnt risk myself to get a Xbone.
Well it's software man they can change anything whenever. Being able to do it and wanting to do it are very different. Although, I can sympathize with the mistrust.

ironcreed

Banned
I can't believe every time Neogaf gets its jimmies in a bunch over something, Microsoft execs come running to quiet us down before shit gets out of hand. It's really amazing. It's a Sunday night and they are worried about making sure they squash whatever issue is happening.

Just as long as it gets squashed. Surely it has more to do with the system not even being launched yet or maybe even needing another update.

Dueck

Banned
Better to verify than to misspeak.

I'd like to think Albert is lying on his bed on his belly, feet up, and twirling a phone cord around his finger while calling for information. His room, of course, would be full of Tiger Beat clippings on the walls and a neon bedspread.

SRTtoZ

You would think that DRM would be the 1 thing Major and Penello could outright say "Lol no its not active" right off their heads without looking into it.

Replicant

So, doesn't Microsoft being able to remote brick a console deserve its own topic?

I'm thinking hard here and I can't seem to recall ANY other Consumer Electronic device where the manufacture can disable it remotely on a whim; beholding you to their customer service to get your device back.

I agree. The DRM is bad on its own. But this is as bad if not worse. No one wants to buy a $500 brick just because you make an uninformed mistake online. Fine, ban the guilty party from participating online but rendering his purchase into a brick is fucking vile. A hallmark of anti-consumer act. This should never be accepted regardless which company pulls out this BS.

Lynn616

Ok, I just found a picture of Call of Duty: Ghosts Xbox One packaging.

It does NOT say offline play is enabled.

whatcallzko80.jpg

This doesn't confirm anything one way or the other, of course, but there it is.

I find it hard to believe they would not put "Online Connection Required" on the box if that was truly the case.

hawk2025

You would think that DRM would be the 1 thing Major and Penello could outside say "Lol no its not active" right off their heads without looking into it.

You have to understand that ANYTHING they say regarding DRM is a headline tomorrow everywhere.

Regardless of how harmless what just happened might be, they have to be careful about walking through a frickin' minefield.

f0lken

You would think that DRM would be the 1 thing Major and Penello could outside say "Lol no its not active" right off their heads without looking into it.

But the DRM is still active, to remove it is the whole point of the day one patch, so they would be lying if they say that.

-PXG-

Oh my God, that thread is hilarious! How did the OP not get a tag out of that? lol

I went to Target earlier with my girl in hopes of taking advantage of the B2G1. They had a Xbox One display. I immediately thought of the OP from that thread from today and laughed to myself. My GF thought I was crazy.

It's big but not stupid huge. It's obvious it's not the real thing. Part of the "console" was exposed. It felt really flimsy and super cheap. No way the real thing would be so shoddy.

stew

I hope this is just the patch not finalized and not Microsoft lying. If this is true, I am going to be absolutely furious.But the PlayStation 4 version has offline enabled. I don't see why the Xbox One version wouldn't have it either; considering they're both identical.
I think Sony added it because they thought it would be important for their strategy.

TyrantII

They don't do it, but they sure can.

Sure, but they're not stupid enough to open that can of worms. Could they?

If you build something and code the software, of course you're the gatekeeper. But you don't abuse that power because if word gets out, you're done for.

See: Sony Music RootKit Smackdown

Top Bottom