• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COD Ghosts Xbox One offline (2 weeks before launch) not possible without Live?

SRTtoZ

Even if this is just because he doesnt have a day 1 patch, take a good long look at MS 'always online' view. Guy preorders XB1, hypes the shit out of it, gets banned, 24 hours later bricks console. So glad they 180'd but still, what a shitty view.

DC1

If MS ruled the world
Imagn that
I'd control all Xbones, I love em love em baby
Xbox Live gold and fanboys
Could it be, if you could
be mine, we'd both be online
If MS ruled the world
Still gaming for today, in
these last days and times
Big Up!
:)

mrg6290

I have a feeling it's an unforeseen consequence of console banning before all the patches are in place. They may be looking into it because this situation wasn't expected to come up.

Or not, we'll hopefully find out soon enough.

Stop making sense.

mozfan12

Banned
But we don't have enough information to draw from this.

I mean we know that games can do this, as they've done it in the past as well.

At this point all we can comfortably say is that we get a glimpse into what Microsoft had in store for us if costumers hadn't given them the cold shoulder.

True, I'll wait for more info to come out.

not gonna get worked up about the playing offline issue since we're still not at launch...

but MS can prevent people from even accessing their console settings? da fuq...

Prediction: DRM by-publisher is in. MS says it's just a bug (lies) and will be fixed for launch. Team works frantically to get shit removed, probably does so by launch.

Just a guess, could be 100% wrong.

Raymo

I don't if that would better or worse.
We shouldn't jump to conclusions though. There's many explanations to this.

Of course it's not any better. I just think people are getting the issue wrong here.

It could be pretty scary if Microsoft had the power to just brick a console remotely. I don't know what else this could be. It's happening on the console level, because he can't access console settings. So, it's not activision.

Well, this was theoretically possible even this generation. A couple of downloadable games did it too, IIRC.

A real problem will be had if it's made way easier from an XB1 devkit level. If it's found out that MS facilitates only-only authentication in all games via an opt-in option for a developer we're looking at another scandal, to rival or surpass that of "resolutiongate" (god what a stupid name...).

hawk2025

It's neither. I just want to confirm before I post anything, it's that simple.

Being neither is all I needed to know and rules out the worst scenarios :)

Every other scenario I can think of simply involves the updates not being quite ready yet, which is totally understandable.

well well well

i4sGyk9Fijs01.gif

Prediction: DRM by-publisher is in. MS says it's just a bug (lies) and will be fixed for launch. Team works frantically to get shit removed, probably does so by launch.

I thought the option for DRM was always there (on both systems) but publishers weren't dumb enough to use it for games that have a significant offline component.

beast786

Technically the system is not out yet. Can't blame MS as they were pretty clear that update is not ready and they still working on it. Now target screwed them as people are trying to function a machine that is technically not ready.

I say wait till release date for any judgement

Steel

Banned

I'm thinking it's more CBOAT saying that DRM is a bitch to take out and each individual publisher has to work on removing it from their game.

TyrantII

So, doesn't Microsoft being able to remote brick a console deserve its own topic?

I'm thinking hard here and I can't seem to recall ANY other Consumer Electronic device where the manufacture can disable it remotely on a whim; beholding you to their customer service to get your device back.

I'm sure the number of innocent people being effected would be small, but it still matters for those innocent or mistaken. And I really have no idea how this would fly with consumer protection laws outside the US (probably not at all).

Imagine Apple shutting down your iPhone remotely, or MSI/Lenovo flicking off the switch to your laptop?

This is pretty much the same anti-consumer crap that Sony Music rightfully got raked over the coals for hijacking computers with rootkits. It's all really bad anti-consumer BS.

JLeack

Banned
I didn't realize Xbox One came out before November 22nd.

Oh wait.

I wonder if movie enthusiasts are like today's gamers.

"So I hear Billy got a copy of the Warcraft film early and was banned from watching the rest. Universal Pictures is such a piece of cr**. GO PARAMOUNT PICTURES!"

What is the deal with MS remotely locking consoles that I am hearing about? That is the first I've ever heard of that, and it is total bullshit if true, regardless of the reason. That is seriously intrusive.

Is it confirmed the same way it's confirmed that you'd never give up a 30%+ power advantage to Sony?
omfg I loled. Let's give the poor guy the benefit of the doubt for now though, no? He jumped in here pretty quick which leads me to believe he's fairly serious about getting an accurate answer asap.

So, doesn't Microsoft being able to remote brick a console deserve its own topic?

I'm thinking hard here and I can't seem to recall ANY other Consumer Electronic device where the manufacture can disable it remotely on a whim; beholding you to their customer service to get your device back.

I'm sure the number of innocent people being effected would be small, but it still matters for those innocent or mistaken. And I really have no idea how this would fly with consumer protection laws outside the US (probably not at all).

Imagine Apple shutting down your iPhone remotely, or MSI/Lenovo flicking off the switch to your laptop?

This is pretty much the same anti-consumer crap that Sony Music rightfully got raked over the coals for hijacking computers with rootkits. It's all really bad anti-consumer BS.

We don't know if they can shut the console down remotely though. It could just be a side effect of using non-final OS code. Benefit of the doubt, for now.

I can distinctly remember hearing this argument wayyyyy back in june and it was proven false then too.

I don't know I just can't see them screwing up that bad honestly. I really hope this isn't the case because if it is I know I won't be touching an Xbox One till all of this is cleared out.

Raymo

I can't believe every time Neogaf gets its jimmies in a bunch over something, Microsoft execs come running to quiet us down before shit gets out of hand. It's really amazing. It's a Sunday night and they are worried about making sure they squash whatever issue is happening.

redwolflim

Neo Member
It shows that the MS may able to reverse their Xbone DRM policy in the future. This is worrying and I wouldnt risk myself to get a Xbone.

Top Bottom