• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COD Ghosts Xbox One offline (2 weeks before launch) not possible without Live?

Domino792

WHEREVER THERE IS AN XBOX FIRE
WHEREVER THERE IS A BOT IN NEED
HE WILL BE THERE
LIKE A STAR IN THE NIGHT SKY
LIKE A RISING SUN IN THE EARLY MORNING SKY
HE WILL BE THERE

tumblr_m9i20neruV1rtjd2h.gif

Wille517

Neo Member
What the hell is going on in here?
Well apparently according to Albert in response to the guy that got his One early from Target the most recent update tot he OS bricked his console in its entirety. Also apparently the day one patch doesn't and never was intended to shut off DRM.

Amir0x

Banned
Well apparently according to Albert in response to the guy that got his One early from Target the most recent update tot he OS bricked his console in its entirety. Also apparently the day one patch doesn't and never was intended to shut off DRM.

Also we did serve cake on page 8 but sadly it's all gone now :(

dreamfall

● crazy buttocks seems to imply agreement with the individual who suggests that DRM was removed at the OS level, but that it can still but is still possible game to game. However, this is technically not really different from the way PS4 is set up, so the question is whether it's actually being implemented on XBO whereas it's not being done elsewhere.
● There are camels, pink dogs and flying cows in the mirror. They are scaring me

Wait a second- I just saw this.

What in the hell....

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
I dunno what the CBOAT ruckus is about. Publishers can add their own always-online requirements already right now, Capcom did something similar on Final Fight. Why is everybody shocked that s/he confirmed it's carrying over to next-gen?

edit: beaten like a government mule

I dunno what the CBOAT ruckus is about. Publishers can add their own always-online requirements already right now, Capcom did something similar on Final Fight. Why is everybody shocked that s/he confirmed it's carrying over to next-gen?

Wouldn't it be a first for COD singleplayer?

xn0

If the DRM is still on, @Moonlightswami has code on his XB1 that is probably worth more than the XB1 itself. This should be interesting...

vWXY5Dn.gif

I don't get it... he's saying that "original" firmware has no always-online-DRM, day one update neither but that exact beta firmware had it ? it slipped in ?

Wille517

Neo Member
Outrage about PS4 not having similar DRM shit blah blah blah, then paranoid ramblings about DRM not really being gone that got compounded when Albert said day one patch didn't remove DRM, I keep raising the point that neither is important but rather that an OS patch 2 weeks before launch is totally bricking a console is a big deal.

1118.gif

viveks86

LOL. All the kids have been playing in mud. That's all. Don't worry about us. We'll clean up when we are done. You can head back to your bunker now.

So its Activision making COD SP online only?

At this point all CBOAT has to do is to post a smiley face and NeoGAF would collapse in on itself.

He's the conductor.

6qXNx.gif

Then what happens when MS unban's him? How can he download the patch if the OS he has does not work?

It clearly has enough of a foundation to facilitate full updates. Think of it as being similar to a PC before an OS install. Everything that the system would need to allow the install of an OS is there. For the PC you toss in a disc and begin your installation. For this guy's console all it needs is access to the internet, which is blocked at the moment, but will be removed once MS is ready to lift the ban.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
It would suck if a high profile title like CoD had that sort of "functionality" built in, but I don't see anyone being that stupid. Then again, a lot of stuff has happened since the heady days of #dealwithit that I never would have imagined occurring in a sane world.

...carry on, I'm going to bed. Try not to set the place on fire.

He currently has no working OS.

There is no "DRM removal" in the Day One update because none of the consoles were ever built with that stuff in it. -> "original" firmware has no DRM

When we launch, console will work exactly as you expect today on 360. -> "day one" firmware has no DRM

So... how some sort of always-online DRM slipped inside a beta firmware ? Just for the lulz ?

Pop

Yes, and not only that, but as soon as you sign in the DRM spreads to every device connected to your home network. That's the bad news. The good news is it prevents you from having to play the COD single player campaign.

Nothings funny about paying $500 to download a patch to play offline. It's a video game console, it should be able to play offline from the get go.

BigDug13

Honestly Bish, majority doesn't give a shit about Capcom and Final Fight. None of them are near 30 million sellers. CoD is a HUGE franchise and news that something is jacked and online is forced causes some players to show concern.

Furyous

This can't be life. Seriously, this feeds into the anti-consumer narrative about Microsoft. If the DRM is still there then Microsoft has to shell out more millions explaining this.

Sony's lack of mp3 and DLNA support suck but at least there's no DRM.

Microsoft needs to get in front of this ASAP. We need to know their final stance on DRM. Hopefully dude receives a new console free of charge.

PBY

Banned
There is no "DRM removal" in the Day One update because none of the consoles were ever built with that stuff in it. -> "original" firmware has no DRM

When we launch, console will work exactly as you expect today on 360. -> "day one" firmware has no DRM

So... how some sort of always-online DRM slipped inside a beta firmware ? Just for the lulz ?
There is no always online DRM. he just can't play offline bc he doesn't have a working OS.
Nothings funny about paying $500 to download a patch to play offline. It's a video game console, it should be able to play offline from the get go.
I don't disagree. But I think a console shouldn't ship without an OS. Clearly MS didn't have the right production schedule to make that halls.

Amir0x

Banned
Confused.

As best I can summarize ->

● Guy was playing Call of Duty: Ghosts on his early Xbox one. His access to XBL gets temporarily banned because they are still working on things for launch. He can still play offline.

● A day later, he now says he can no longer play the game offline. Everyone wonders why.

● PS4 version has "Offline Enabled" on the back, whereas Xbox One case did not, which confused things further. Ultimately however this seems to amount to nothing, since other games are also missing critical info on the back (example: Knack does not indicate it has remote play).

● Someone says what if the DRM was removed at the OS level, yet can still be done on a software-by-software basis? crazy buttocks implies agreement. People react, but since technically what buttocks was implying is not really any different from what PS4 does, it didn't tell us much.

● Penello comes back and says he's still looking for info, but it's definitely not DRM (the patch does not remove DRM, but puts a finalized OS in place) and it's definitely not related to Call of Duty, since the patch just updates the game itself.

● Rhindle suggests that actually the OS is frequently receiving daily updates in the lead up to launch, and that if the system does not get those updates, it will cease to function. Therefore, since this guy cannot currently log in to get those updates, he cannot play.

● Penello agrees with this guess of Rhindle's and all-but confirms it is the case.

● bishoptl comes, but he missed out on cake.

PBY

Banned
This can't be life. Seriously, this feeds into the anti-consumer narrative about Microsoft. If the DRM is still there then Microsoft has to shell out more millions explaining this.

Sony's lack of mp3 and DLNA support suck but at least there's no DRM.

Microsoft needs to get in front of this ASAP. We need to know their final stance on DRM. Hopefully dude receives a new console free of charge.
There's no DRM. stahp.

Yes, I know that. But how does he download that patch if his current OS is "expired" and doesn't work? He's banned from Live, and there's no way for him to connect back to the internet when he's unbanned because his OS is broken.
He doesn't til the 22nd.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Honestly Bish, majority doesn't give a shit about Capcom and Final Fight. None of them are near 30 million sellers. CoD is a HUGE franchise and news that something is jacked and online is forced causes some players to show concern.

I will agree that it's pretty big news if this game does end up working like that, but despite the topic itself being about CoD(as it's the only game moonlightswami has), there isn't anything in cboat's post indicating it at all. It was super broad and general.

Marvel

could never
As best I can summarize ->

● Guy was playing Call of Duty: Ghosts on his early Xbox one. His access to XBL gets temporarily banned because they are still working on things for launch. He can still play offline.

● A day later, he now says he can no longer play the game offline. Everyone wonders why.

● PS4 version has "Offline Enabled" on the back, whereas Xbox One case did not, which confused things further. Ultimately however this seems to amount to nothing, since other games are also missing critical info on the back (example: Knack does not indicate it has remote play).

● Someone says what if the DRM was removed at the OS level, yet can still be done on a software-by-software basis? crazy buttocks implies agreement. People react, but since technically what buttocks was implying is not really any different from what PS4 does, it didn't tell us much.

● Penello comes back and says he's still looking for info, but it's definitely not DRM (the patch does not remove DRM, but puts a finalized OS in place) and it's definitely not related to Call of Duty, since the patch just updates the game itself.

● Rhindle suggests that actually the OS is frequently receiving daily updates in the lead up to launch, and that if the system does not get those updates, it will cease to function. Therefore, since this guy cannot currently log in to get those updates, he cannot play.

● Penello agrees with this guess of Rhindle's and all-but confirms it is the case.

● bishoptl comes, but he missed out on cake.

Thank you my friend.

So his Expired OS is magically going to become unexpired on the 22nd and allow him to download the latest version of the OS?

Microsoft will allow his console, which is banned from accessing their online network currently, to access that online network which will fix everything. He's just banned until the Xbox One launch is closer.

Top Bottom