• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COD Ghosts Xbox One offline (2 weeks before launch) not possible without Live?

Amir0x

Banned
So every day prior to launch requires a new update, and if that update is not received, the system is unplayable?

That is the official stance?

PBY

Banned
My favorite explanation of the situation from an article of an MS Exec saying something was something along the lines of
"The XB1 doesn't ship with an OS."
That's a much easier message. And I suggest you use it over and over again.

Pretty much. Once you view it in these terms it makes perfect sense.

SRTtoZ

Other than as an academic exercise, why on earth would you care or even think they should divulge every pre-release detail?

I should have clarified, I don't care, but when someone who gets a retail XB1 says 24 hours later they cant play Singleplayer games or access settings, its probably in their best interest to say why.

Lynn616

Damn he was so unlucky to get a patch that expired on the very day he got his X1. Sorry. I'm not buying this explanation at all and neither am I convinced by Penellos explanation. The fact that his post left holes that X1 fans are having to 'patch' shows just how unhelpful it was.

What? Each build would have a set time before a new build was required.

PBY

Banned
So every day prior to launch requires a new update, and if that update is not received, the system is unplayable?

I don't know if we have the exact timing, but I think we can assume that there are periodic, if not daily, updates.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Oh well, if it's just an OS update and DRM is already fixed, then MS will clearly allow people to download the patch onto a USB stick. No need to shake hands with the server at all. Problem over guys ...

hawk2025

I'm completely speculating here, but it may be for security reasons. That is, temporary OS's are time-stamped and restricted to avoid functional units leaking with incomplete and/or malfunctioning code.

We may have just gotten a peek behind the curtain that we weren't meant to, but it really means nothing.

Again, pure speculation!

So... Will the consumer version of the OS everyone downloads on day one come with an expiration date, locking offline play and other things? That would be a sneaky way for MS to keep people connected.

I really think you're looking for something where there isn't anything.

I'm taking the night off from this thread, it is getting to levels of ridiculousness that I just cannot comprehend right now.

Now I understand why Microsoft and Sony both wanted to keep their consoles out of the hands of players until they are actually launched. It has nothing to do with hiding anything, it has everything to do with preventing the hyperbolic alarm that is being displayed in this thread.

viveks86

We don't know if it's every single day. It could just be a coincidence that it happened the expire the day after he got the last available build. Then he got banned, didn't get the next one... camels, pink dogs, flying cows happened :D

I really don't like MS, but everyone should just calm down and wait till the 22nd. MS did not plan to launch the console untill that date and will be working on their remaining issues. Let them fix them and then rip on them if shit is not working properly day one and it bricks the console.

I really hope that MS are taking Target to town for their fuck up, because releasing it into the wild has really caused a shitstorm.

I should have clarified, I don't care, but when someone who gets a retail XB1 says 24 hours later they cant play Singleplayer games or access settings, its probably in their best interest to say why.
Okay, I agree if this were November 23rd (and can you imagine the shitstorm if this happens) but it is completely irrelevant right now.

I think the scariest part about all this is why has Microsoft built into their system a way to deny us from playing single player games offline from the disk? This suggests that they can just turn our games off at any point, even physical offline games. The question is not why would Microsoft ever turn our games off but rather why did they give themselves the ability to do it at all?

Every internet enabled device that's ever been made probably has the ability to take away features if someone wanted to. Just release a firmware update that takes away features on the console

PBY

Banned
more like a day 1 update was always in the cards. them adding offline play into it was what wasn't in the cards initially.

Thats... precisely the opposite of what we've discussed in the past page and a half. And the opposite of what the MS execs were quoted as saying months ago.

Rhindle

The final consumer OS that everyone downloads on Nov. 22 is obviously not going to contain any kind of time limitation. MS has said many times that you only need to connect ONCE to download the final OS, and then never ever have to do it again.

SRTtoZ

Okay, I agree if this were November 23rd (and can you imagine the shitstorm if this happens) but it is completely irrelevant right now.

I agree it would be crazy and the upcoming 2 weeks is going to blow minds but this is a discussion forum, we need to discuss stuff! LET US DISCUSS PLS! :)

liquidtmd

Banned

This.

They can be cute and say 'b-b-but we've got 10 or so days before it hits stores so we don't have to tell you jack about our pre-release OS schedule' but MS, for the love of God, learn good PR. Clarify exactly. This shit is important to your console. You have a seemingly (but not necessarily actual) DRM related situation that looks like what everyone bitched at you months ago.

Even if it isn't that - Don't come across as like were the ones who are paranoid when this shit happens to a guy three and a half days before your main competitor launches. Be nice. Clarify. In a way that makes sense.

I really don't like MS, but everyone should just calm down and wait till the 22nd. MS did not plan to launch the console untill that date and will be working on their remaining issues. Let them fix them and then rip on them if shit is not working properly day one and it bricks the console.

I really hope that MS are taking Target to town for their fuck up, because releasing it into the wild has really caused a shitstorm.

it wouldn't have been so bad if there weren't so many people determined to find fault with everything right now. it's really ridiculous and it's happening on "both sides"

imt558

Banned
Are you serious? The OS that comes out of the box isn't done. The day 1 update is to get the latest, functional OS. This was explained months ago. Why is this so hard to understand?

Why that guy can't play Ghosts offline? I thought that update is for removing DRM.

I'm completely speculating here, but it may be for security reasons. That is, temporary OS's are time-stamped and restricted to avoid functional units leaking with incomplete and/or malfunctioning code.

We may have just gotten a peek behind the curtain that we weren't meant to, but it really means nothing.

Again, pure speculation!

I'd bet something in this vein is the case.

Nothing like this would ever happen after the 22nd, this is internal pre-release builds.

Megatron

I'm taking the night off from this thread, it is getting to levels of ridiculousness that I just cannot comprehend right now.

Now I understand why Microsoft and Sony both wanted to keep their consoles out of the hands of players until they are actually launched. It has nothing to do with hiding anything, it has everything to do with preventing the hyperbolic alarm that is being displayed in this thread.

That is probably true and the most likely reason but if they have snuck in regular online checks, they wouldn't want people finding that out before they started selling units and hope the momentum just made it a non-issue.

PBY

Banned
Why that guy can't play Ghosts offline? I thought that update is for removing DRM.

1- Update wasn't for removing DRM
2- Guy can't play online- because he can't do ANYTHING- He doesn't have a functional OS- which explains why he can't even get into the settings

Thats... precisely the opposite of what we've discussed in the past page and a half. And the opposite of what the MS execs were quoted as saying months ago.

their plan was to have it be always online. gonna guess because of that, they decided early on that they would ship with a stub OS and work right up to the launch on the launch OS and release it day 1 since everyone needed to be online to use the console anyway.

them canning the always on DRM added *more* work and they still had the timeline for launch, hence the need for the day 1 update still. and also why they say it was not necessarily for DRM removal since it was planned to be that way from the start before the DRM was a public issue.

and the constant updates before final is just more of that in action. them working right up to the deadline. or it could be something else, something more nefarious, but i think the previous idea makes more sense.

Megatron

it wouldn't have been so bad if there weren't so many people determined to find fault with everything right now. it's really ridiculous and it's happening on "both sides"

I wouldn't say it's people trying to find faults in this case. I'D say its skeptical people wary of Microsoft after what they tried to do and their recent public suggestions that they were right all along and we just don't understand.

Blackage

I'm probably looking at this backwards, but considering that they haven't released the system yet, this happening and being public before the official release is probably a good thing, more time to fix it and all that.

Then again I looked at the PS3 online crash as a good thing for Sony in the long haul, so maybe I'm crazy. :p

Can we update the thread please.

The person who got this console a full two weeks ahead of schedule downloaded some sort of pre-release OS. This pre-release OS allowed him to play games. A new pre-release OS was pushed to systems. His system was not authorized to access this pre-release OS because he isn't a dev/etc. Therefore he lost the functionality to play games and/or do shit.

imt558

Banned
it never shipped in the first place. the decision to remove it happened long before the consoles were finished.

Long ago before console were finished? So tell me, why Microsoft annaunced XO with DRM restriction in May, and after E3? Console is in production for a few months. So, DRM is deeply buried in XO. Don't defend Microsoft. DRM is still here. Did you read what Penello said a few days ago?

PBY

Banned
their plan was to have it be always online. gonna guess because of that, they decided early on that they would ship with a stub OS and work right up to the launch on the launch OS and release it day 1 since everyone needed to be online to use the console anyway.

them canning the always on DRM added *more* work and they still had the timeline for launch, hence the need for the day 1 update still. and also why they say it was not necessarily for DRM removal since it was planned to be that way from the start before the DRM was a public issue.

and the constant updates before final is just more of that in action. them working right up to the deadline. or it could be something else, something more nefarious, but i think the previous idea makes more sense.

Nope. From the quotes it appears like they were planning - the whole time- to basically ship with no OS and make it downloadable Day 1.

Nothing nefarious. Like at all. Like 10000 itsfuckingnothing gifs spelling out itsfuckingnothing.

Foaloal

Something doesn't make sense to me.

There was just this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=711610

"Forza 5 wouldn't have been 1080p, 60fps without access to Xbox One's cloud"

If that's truly the case, then how are you going to play games that use the cloud without an internet connection? At a lower resolution/fps/graphics settings?

I hope this is already known information, but I haven't read it anywhere.

Edit: PS I don't believe the cloud makes any difference, but at some point all these contradicting statements will have to be clarified with honesty.

Wille517

Neo Member
No it's beyond relevant this is indicative of a ongoing and overarching issue here, I know I'm not the only person on this board going to school for or with experience in software dev and if 2 weeks out they are still this deep in the debug process launch is going to be a unmitigated diaster. On the flip side if MS is just lying and has in fact bricked this guys console remotely from every feature of the Xbox One I think I'm more concerned that they have that kind of power over something that I've purchased.

I wouldn't say it's people trying to find faults in this case. D say its skeptical people wary of Microsoft after what they tried to do and their reared suggestions that they were right all along and we just don't understand.

the tone seems to me to be way more extreme than simple skepticism.

Top Bottom