• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD: Modern Warfare 3 Coming to Wii

Disguises

I wonder if they'll keep their promise of DLC this time? That was the only disappointment with Black Ops Wii for me.

I sometimes get online to play now and then. Treyarch did an amazing job with Black Ops Wii, so I'm looking forward to see what advancements theyve made this time.

Mael

Surprising to see the amount of people shitting on the only version of mw3 that will not have shit controls.
Guess I'll see how it goes.
Treyarch proves again that they're the superior dev house around...

Ydahs

I really need to catch up on the CoD series. Loved CoD4, but haven't played any iteration since.

Maybe I'll track down a cheap copy of Black Ops for Wii and buy this one on PC... can't stand dual analog so I guess I'll stay away from the PS3 version.

If Activision decides to support the Wiimote on the Wii U (unlikely), I'll buy every CoD version I'm interested in for it, as long as online is decent (should be considering the Wii games).

dwu8991

Banned
I'm going to not buy this game for now. I'm still mad at how Activition short shifted us wii owners of the zombie maps and the multi-player features.

dwu8991 said:
I'm going to not buy this game for now. I'm still mad at how Activition short shifted us wii owners of the zombie maps and the multi-player features.

I hope you're not talking about the missing killstreaks or flamethrower. Those were entirely due to the low RAM of the Wii. Not Treyarch's fault at all.

Mael

Freezie KO said:
I hope you're not talking about the missing killstreaks or flamethrower. Those were entirely due to the low RAM of the Wii. Not Treyarch's fault at all.

A lil bit of explanation for people not familiar with these?

vall03

hmmm... the more I read this thread, the more enticed I am to get MW3 on Wii. Im not really big into shooters but I can at least give it as a present to my sister to justify the purchase, we both enjoyed WaW anyway and she has been bugging me to get her Black Ops

Mael said:
A lil bit of explanation for people not familiar with these?

Black Ops was missing a few killstreaks from the Wii version. It was missing the Chopper Gunner, the Gunship, and the Valkyrie Rockets. These killstreaks allowed the user to view the entire map at one time because they could essentially fly above it. The way Treyarch (magically) made the game work on Wii was to not render the entire map at one time. Instead, only the section your player was in would be loaded into the RAM. Flying above the map violated this rule because you would've had to render the entire map at once with all the players and stuff going on.

The new item Camera Spike was also ditched for a similar reason. The Camera Spike allows you to place a camera on the ground and have a camera view instead of your mini-map. Problem on Wii was that the "camera view" had to be rendered in addition to your player's view. 2 Renders = no go.

Flamethrowers were in World at War on Wii, and they caused insane lag. It would cause the host to chug like no tomorrow. They simply couldn't get them to work without causing major problems, so those got cut too. I think it has to do with the fire effects, but I'm less familiar with this.

Some stuff that got cut was superficial like customizable emblems. I'm not sure why. It could be lack of development time or it could be that Nintendo didn't want that much sharing of virtual penis drawings. I don't know.

dwu8991

Banned
The black ops perks/upgrade weapon system was something I didn't like as I couldn't be bothered unlocking the stuff manually. I would like MW3 to have automatically upgrading of perks/upgrades like they did with the original MW. Throw the currency system out for casual players!

Someone asked who only owns a Wii and no HD systems, well that's me. In my opinion the Wii version of Black Ops is the definitive version. Superior controls, lack of cheap killstreaks, and smaller teams. I'd like to see more camper friendly maps this time around, like a map for snipers or at least more terrain to hide in on big free-for-all maps.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Great, I won't be able to buy Xenoblade/The Last Story/Pandora's Tower, but I can certainly buy a downgraded port of a game series I hate with a passion! God I love Wii.

Nabs

Freezie KO said:
*shrug*

Nunchuk has analog. Keyboard doesn't even really have the best 8-way control. Not a fan of button layouts on keyboard. I just think it's obvious that the keyboard wasn't made for gaming.

Again, IMO, so please, I'm just explaining my thoughts on it.
Why do you need "8-way control" when you have a mouse? You can get anywhere in a split second without that. An analog stick would slow you down. I've tried it many times in Black Ops PC and it did nothing by hurt my play.

Mael

Freezie KO said:
Black Ops was missing a few killstreaks from the Wii version. It was missing the Chopper Gunner, the Gunship, and the Valkyrie Rockets. These killstreaks allowed the user to view the entire map at one time because they could essentially fly above it. The way Treyarch (magically) made the game work on Wii was to not render the entire map at one time. Instead, only the section your player was in would be loaded into the RAM. Flying above the map violated this rule because you would've had to render the entire map at once with all the players and stuff going on.

The new item Camera Spike was also ditched for a similar reason. The Camera Spike allows you to place a camera on the ground and have a camera view instead of your mini-map. Problem on Wii was that the "camera view" had to be rendered in addition to your player's view. 2 Renders = no go.

Flamethrowers were in World at War on Wii, and they caused insane lag. It would cause the host to chug like no tomorrow. They simply couldn't get them to work without causing major problems, so those got cut too. I think it has to do with the fire effects, but I'm less familiar with this.

Some stuff that got cut was superficial like customizable emblems. I'm not sure why. It could be lack of development time or it could be that Nintendo didn't want that much sharing of virtual penis drawings. I don't know.

Thanks for the info, they did some very neat stuffs on BLOPS, flamethrower is of no interest but the others are nice though.
Still not exactly gamekiller either.
Nice work on Treyarch to manage the game though.

Chuck said:
Someone asked who only owns a Wii and no HD systems, well that's me. In my opinion the Wii version of Black Ops is the definitive version. Superior controls, lack of cheap killstreaks, and smaller teams. I'd like to see more camper friendly maps this time around, like a map for snipers or at least more terrain to hide in on big free-for-all maps.

I own a Wii and PC and I prefer to play CoD on Wii, and it's 100% because of the Wiimote. I'm not a hardcore FPS player, I just like to sign on, point my Wiimote at the screen and shoot some people in the head. So this is good news for me too!

Unknown Soldier said:
I wouldn't go that far. It's Call of Duty. They could probably release it on Sega Genesis and sell a million copies at this point.

I'm surprised there haven't been iOS versions yet.
The DS and PC versions don't sell a million afaik.

Effect

Mael said:
Thanks for the info, they did some very neat stuffs on BLOPS, flamethrower is of no interest but the others are nice though.
Still not exactly gamekiller either.
Nice work on Treyarch to manage the game though.

In the end they did a decent job. Still it's very obvious the game struggles at times. Especially when you compare it with Goldeneye and Conduit 2. Though those were developed for the Wii primarily so they should be better. I do wonder what it's going to look like on the Wii though. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IW_engine The entry says that Treyarch continues to use the IW 3.0 engine for it's games but MW3 is using the 5.0 version. Now even if they port things down to IW 3 or even lesser (since they know it inside and out) would that be enough if MW3 is simply designed differently at it's core compared to other CoD games?

With BO struggling like it did when I think more about it I wouldn't be surprised if the end result this time around is bad. I wonder if the 3DS might be able to handle it better. Guess we won't know until someone takes a stab at doing a FPS on the 3DS and sees how far they can push it in that genre.

Otrebor Nightmarecoat said:
Since theyre doing a Wii release i wonder if theyll release it on ps2, psp and Ipad too.
:p
They should honestly do iOS and 3DS conversions if they're already getting assets ready for a SD MW3.

I'm surprised Goldeneye didn't get a 3DS port yet. Seems like a no brainer.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
lunchwithyuzo said:
They should honestly do iOS and 3DS conversions if they're already getting assets ready for a SD MW3.

knowing Kotick and his hunger for the Monies I would say it's coming..

Curufinwe

Mael said:
Surprising to see the amount of people shitting on the only version of mw3 that will not have shit controls.
Guess I'll see how it goes.
Treyarch proves again that they're the superior dev house around...

What's going to be shit about the PC controls?

mclem

It'll never happen, but it would amuse me massively if Wii players were dumped onto the same online servers as the dual analog players. I genuinely would not be surprised if it resulted in a noticeable spike in Wii sales :)

lunchwithyuzo said:

I'd love to see Eurocom take the engine and make all-new Bond adventure on the Wii.

Zarovitch

After playing Moderne Warfare 1 & 2 and World at War on my 360, i've decide to try Black Ops for the Wii and i prefer the Wiimote control so i'll take Modern Warefare3 for the Wii. The only thing i would like for the Wii are the DLC.

xandaca

Freezie KO said:

I actually liked that those killstreaks were lost. They're among the more overpowered and made every match I have played on the HD versions more annoying. The Wii multiplayer is more balanced for not having them, IMO. Interesting to see how they're going to do MW3, considering how the action looks WAY bigger in scale than Black Ops, which even in heavily truncated form was pushing the Wii to its limits.

Say what you like about Activision, but they've supported the console pretty well and been rewarded with decent sales (taking into account that every COD has been a downport), unlike other publishers who have barely made a token effort - Capcom and Ubisoft, most prominently - and then moaned when their stuff didn't sell in the millions.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Zarovitch said:
After playing Moderne Warfare 1 & 2 and World at War on my 360, i've decide to try Black Ops for the Wii and i prefer the Wiimote control so i'll take Modern Warefare3 for the Wii. The only thing i would like for the Wii are the DLC.

i wouild buy a BloP GOTY Edition with the DLC on the DISC and more zombie maps if they decided to do this, of course for a lower price, maybe jsut the MP only on the disc..

price being a lot lower as well say half the retail price?

mclem

Ydahs said:
I really need to catch up on the CoD series. Loved CoD4, but haven't played any iteration since.

Last week, for the first time, I completed CoD. I have some way to go!

xandaca

The Real Napsta said:
I'll get this game and play it with a classic controller pro.

Problem?

Why not just get one of the HD versions then? The pointer control is the only real selling point of the Wii versions, which (obviously) look worse and have less content.

hyp3rlink

I was thinking of picking up the PS3 version if it had the Move support but now that it's on Wii, the choice is clear and easy.

Cannot see how can anyone play a shooter with analog sticks after playing it with Wii remote. Move is better than the stick but still not as smooth as the IR pointer and the reflection of the glowing ball on the screen can get annoying as well.

StevieP

Banned
hyp3rlink said:
I was thinking of picking up the PS3 version if it had the Move support but now that it's on Wii, the choice is clear and easy.

Cannot see how can anyone play a shooter with analog sticks after playing it with Wii remote. Move is better than the stick but still not as smooth as the IR pointer and the reflection of the glowing ball on the screen can get annoying as well.

I just want to give Nintendo a special "fuck you" shoutout for regressing back to dual-analog. I'll be continuing to buy all first/third-person games on PC as a result. :lol

Mael

Curufinwe said:
What's going to be shit about the PC controls?

Did I say the only console version that won't have shit controls or something else?
If I said something else accept my apologies for the misunderstanding.

StevieP said:
I just want to give Nintendo a special "fuck you" shoutout for regressing back to dual-analog. I'll be continuing to buy all first/third-person games on PC as a result. :lol
That might send the wrong message though :/
I'd say dismiss any and all games on WiiU and the WiiU would be clearer.
Heck I'm still kinda pissed that I didn't support Treyarch till now.

benjipwns

Banned
StevieP said:
Aren't they still going to allow use of the Wii-motes?

Boerseun

Banned
StevieP said:

Eh? We already know the Wii U will support the Wii Remote and Nunchuck combination.

StevieP

Banned
benjipwns said:
Aren't they still going to allow use of the Wii-motes?

Because developers give a shit about peripherals (see: Move)

Eh? We already know the Wii U will support the Wii Remote and Nunchuck combination.

Of course they will. But developers see a nice tasty dual-analog tablet, and to top it off it's the "default" controller. So games will be built around it. That Ubisoft alien game uses the Upad's accelerometer to control the reticle, for instance. *pukes*

Top Bottom