• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Colbert sees a surge, has now surpassed Fallon for #1 late-night talk show

Status
Not open for further replies.

JordanN

Banned
7 pages and no one posted the paint gif?

oqKAmSM.gif

massoluk

Banned
I think I can count the time I felt Fallon being genuine with one hands.

When people said "He is just being friendly", guess what, Stewart was friendly to all his guests but can still criticized them and never came off as disgenuine.

Late Night with Conan is probably my favorite late night talk show of all time. Crazy to think that we had Conan, Colbert, and Stewart at their peaks, producing some of the best television ever made, and we got it four nights a week for years.

Can confirm. Was a big Conan fan from the mid-90's all the way up to the end. It was weird, subversive and strangely intimate.

Colbert deserves it. His recent routines of politically-charged commentary and great interviews have been a joy to watch. Any time Trump is brought up, Stephen brings his A-game. Plus that band is adorable.

Shame about Conan, though. I'm sure he'll pull through. Someday. Eventually. In the future. Near-future, hopefully, but I'll settle for distant if it means "Late Night with Conan's Preserved Brain" is a thing.

And this right here is why I'm always happy to see Jimmy Fallon lose. Didn't care for him before this, couldn't stand his enabling ass after.

sappyday

I genuinely think Fallon would laugh easily at a lot shit and probably was genuine when he first started out at Late Night, but at this point he's most likely getting into that role in order to make the show bearable. Cause like what else is there about Fallon besides his jolly attitude?

dude's one of the biggest phony sycophants on tv but nah he seems legitimately geekin out about nintendo all the time.
I don't think he really plays games that much or finishes them. He may own some, may play something but he hardly has the look on game play of someone that plays games.

I'm sure he liked wii sports and probably has real excitement in trying new hardware. But doesn't seem to be a gamer to me.

Davide

That he's a fake.

It's not fake, he really genuinely finds everything funny and can't help laughing.

I usually watch Colbert, Conan, and even old Craig Ferguson videos but Fallon can be entertaining and funny, GAF takes his Trump interview too seriously

Monocle

I've gone back and forth on this, but I don't think Fallon is a phony if you're referring to the awkward way he interacts with people and constantly laughs. He has been that way as a presenter/host outside of his talk show and especially during his entire SNL run where he break character because he couldn't stop giggling. It's his real personality.

FWIW, I work with someone with a similar social tick. She constantly laughs (for real) at almost everything. She's a really nice person but it can be grating when you're trying to focus on work and her giggling in the vicinity is piercing into your ears. I could walk over right now and greet her in a dumb accent and she'd burst into genuine laughter, just like Fallon. She can stop pretty abruptly.
I won't completely dismiss the possibility that he's genuine, but Fallon really really looks like he's faking when he hits the table and makes overdramatic gestures. Plus his facial expressions look super fake.

I'm surprised I haven't heard of more people picking up on this. Recognizing authentic facial expressions is a skill people gain automatically by socializing and even seeing a lot of human faces in media. I can tell when someone's putting on a fake smile while posing for a photo. Fallon often gives me the same impression of artificial emoting. Not all the time, but way more often than any other TV personality I've seen.

I don't think he really plays games that much or finishes them. He may own some, may play something but he hardly has the look on game play of someone that plays games.

I'm sure he liked wii sports and probably has real excitement in trying new hardware. But doesn't seem to be a gamer to me.
Just because he doesn't fit your definition/stereotype of what a gamer is, doesn't mean he isn't a gamer. I mean, his picture (as a teenager) was in an old Nintendo Power issue. He was more interested in showing Nicole Kidman a video game on their infamous first date than in doing...whatever it is you do on a first date. He talks about playing games on the tonight Show (He has talked about Madden, Street Fighter 2, and The Last Of Us).

Not sure why I am defending Jimmy Fallon, but whatevs.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
how is this thread about Colbert literally just full of talk about Fallon instead

Well because Colbert grabbed the top spot from Fallon so inevitably the discussion is going to lean towards how that happened which includes talking about how shitty, unauthentic, and shallow Fallon is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom