• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jimmy Fallon Cratering in the Ratings, Skirting Near Third Place in "Late Night Wars"

entremet

Apparently Fallon is doubling down on his approach to stay away from political jokes. (Fox news link warning)
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...-choice-to-not-join-anti-trump-bandwagon.html

Essentially he's saying that he will continue to stay away from political topics because he's just "not that interested in politics".

Take bets on how long before he tries and fails to start injecting politics into his show. I think it's inevitable since he's such a try hard people pleaser. 4
Classic Gen X indifference lol.

andthebeatgoeson

People want to see political commentary in their late night shows. I gotta believe they're grooming Seth for possible successor
I'm not even sure it's a desire for politics but Colbert is a really good comedian and people need escape. Gaslighting is real and a nationwide phenomenon. A serial sex abuser is the president and his cronies didn't even wait a year before making sex abuse political while ignoring his biggest faults. It's either drinking or comedy, at this point.

Shit on McCain and Gold Star families, then bring up the proper way to honor the troops. Like, seriously.

And, politics has always been fertile ground for late night comedians. Even if you don't like politics, late night host seems like a bad fit if you don't do it. It's like a garbage truck driver that can't stand the smell. Did he even interview? Have you ever watched the tonight show?

I liked fallon when he pulled shit like ew and mirren mirren. I put videos of his interviews to fall asleep.

I can't say any of the other comedians are killing it in their shows either tbh. Graham Northon tho damn

massoluk

Banned
Apparently Fallon is doubling down on his approach to stay away from political jokes. (Fox news link warning)
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...-choice-to-not-join-anti-trump-bandwagon.html

Essentially he's saying that he will continue to stay away from political topics because he's just "not that interested in politics".

Take bets on how long before he tries and fails to start injecting politics into his show. I think it's inevitable since he's such a try hard people pleaser. 4

This makes me rage. Current news are things that should be covered and it stopped being apolitical when he invited the fucking Presidential Candidate

zeemumu

I liked fallon when he pulled shit like ew and mirren mirren. I put videos of his interviews to fall asleep.

I can't say any of the other comedians are killing it in their shows either tbh. Graham Northon tho damn

Graham Norton makes occasional political jokes but they're usually UK politics

Boylamite

Fallon bears some responsibility for Trump's ascension with that fucking buddy buddy head rub. Normalized that monster. What a luxury, to be a rich white male and have the priveldge to watch from the sidelines in times like this. Fuck this guy.

He occasionally does something good but ever since he took over when Conan move off Late Night he has always felt like the odd one out in the talk show scene.

He is just so bland.

I'm honestly still pretty bitter about the Conan/Leno thing, so Tonight Show can sink for all I care.

image.php

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

This is one of those hyper-privileged denials of reality, refusing to understand that everything is politics. What he's truly saying is that he finds the status quo acceptable.

Chumly

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_59e20592e4b03a7be580ecfd/amp

Fallon pointed out that he made “thousands of jokes” about Obama, but that the bleakness of Trump’s presidency makes it hard for him to find the funny side.

“With Trump, it’s just like every day’s a new thing he gives uh, you know, a lot of material,” Fallon said. “A lot of stuff is hard to even make a joke about because it’s just too serious.”

Uh..... trumps too bad to make jokes about? But obama was ok because it wasn't bleak? Honestly he must be a secret trump supporter

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_59e20592e4b03a7be580ecfd/amp

Uh..... trumps too bad to make jokes about? But obama was ok because it wasn't bleak? Honestly he must be a secret trump supporter

Jimmy Fallon has said (before Trump ran for president) that he is friends with Donald Trump. I mean, even Jon Stewart didn't go that hard against his (former?) friend/roommate Anthony Weiner. Though Jon did acknowledge how awkward the situation was.

Zolo

Jimmy Fallon has said (before Trump ran for president) that he is friends with Donald Trump. I mean, even Jon Stewart didn't go that hard against his (former?) friend/roommate Anthony Weiner. Though Jon did acknowledge how awkward the situation was.

If I remember right, one of the reasons it's speculated that Trump's so pissed with CNN & certain places is that he's had friends in the higher ups doesn't he?

Blader

I can appreciate political comedy just not being in someone's wheelhouse and wanting to stick to their strengths. That makes sense to me. But the "I'm not interested in politics" and "things are too bleak for me to make fun of now" shit, just... fuck off.

If I remember right, one of the reasons it's speculated that Trump's so pissed with CNN & certain places is that he's had friends in the higher ups doesn't he?

Jeff Zucker is the president of CNN. He used to be the president of NBC, when The Apprentice started. Trump believes that his show did a ton of good business for NBC while Zucker was there, and that he personally helped Zucker get the CNN job, and he's pissed that Zucker doesn't reward him for all that with across-the-board positive coverage on CNN.

Shauni

I'm not even sure it's a desire for politics but Colbert is a really good comedian and people need escape. Gaslighting is real and a nationwide phenomenon. A serial sex abuser is the president and his cronies didn't even wait a year before making sex abuse political while ignoring his biggest faults. It's either drinking or comedy, at this point.

Shit on McCain and Gold Star families, then bring up the proper way to honor the troops. Like, seriously.

And, politics has always been fertile ground for late night comedians. Even if you don't like politics, late night host seems like a bad fit if you don't do it. It's like a garbage truck driver that can't stand the smell. Did he even interview? Have you ever watched the tonight show?

This is actually not true, or well, maybe it is true, but late night comedians really didn't become that political until Stewart (and even the show he took over was very much apolitical before he took it in that direction). Carson, Leno and Letterman were all pretty apolitical. Letterman was probably the most political of the three, and even then it was sparse. The turn to late night being super political is pretty recent within the last decade, hosts before then tried to be as broad as possible, and Fallon is obviously trying to say within that old mold, but it's just not what people want anymore especially when you have people are so talented on commentary on politics like Colbert and Meyer.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
It's not like people are gonna watch whomever is in NBC's role over Colbert for politics. He kinda owns the segment IMO.

Problem is what Fallon is doing that isn't Colbert's political thing just is falling flat.

I'm also not sold how much late night shows even really matter anymore.

It's a terrible excuse, but the real reason he won't do it is because he's bad at it. Like, we already have examples of how bad at it he is. If he tried to go all in on it, he'll end up being even further behind Colbert and falling behind Kimmel, because he'll be doing what they're doing, but worse.

That being said, if he were actually funny enough, he could easily survive as being the escape from politics late-show host. But he isn't, so we're here.

This is actually not true, or well, maybe it is true, but late night comedians really didn't become that political until Stewart (and even the show he took over was very much apolitical before he took it in that direction). Carson, Leno and Letterman were all pretty apolitical. Letterman was probably the most political of the three, and even then it was sparse. The turn to late night being super political is pretty recent within the last decade, hosts before then tried to be as broad as possible, and Fallon is obviously trying to say within that old mold, but it's just not what people want anymore especially when you have people are so talented on commentary on politics like Colbert and Meyer.

What? Letterman and Leno were doing Clinton jokes every night for eight years.

If you're saying taking a strong political stance wasn't a thing until Stewart, maybe, but avoidance wasn't a thing until Fallon.

What? Letterman and Leno were doing Clinton jokes every night for eight years.

If you're saying taking a strong political stance wasn't a thing until Stewart, maybe, but avoidance wasn't a thing until Fallon.

Carson also made political jokes too.

Leno has done this?

EDIT: Read further. So not him but someone in his staff? Wtf?

On the night of January 6, 1992, in a feat of corporate espionage chronicled in Bill Carter’s book on the late-night wars, The Late Shift, Leno hid in a closet-like office beneath his Burbank studio to listen in on a conference call taking place among NBC executives. They were discussing who should follow Johnny Carson as host of The Tonight Show—Leno or David Letterman. While they argued, Leno took notes “on what people thought of him and his show,” Carter reported. “Best of all he knew exactly who was for him and who was against him.”
via Vanity Fair

Also,
“I was in, there’s a huge closet in there. I just pulled the door behind me and listened, very simple,” Jay said of his spying, which ultimately helped him save his job.
Read more at http://www.accesshollywood.com/arti...ives-office-twice-142799/#OChUjHP8FPiOpTYw.99

Top Bottom