• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jimmy Fallon Cratering in the Ratings, Skirting Near Third Place in "Late Night Wars"

Jawmuncher

The weirdest thing with Jimmy Fallon was when I tested his ride and tweeted about it. Then a bunch of Jimmy Fallon fan accounts retweeted and such. Was like "The hell is this"

Seventy70

I never really like Fallon to begin with, but he has certainly gone downhill over the years. It just feels like he isn't all there anymore. He's rumored to have a drug problem so that's probably it.

I've always preferred Kimmel over Fallon. Love his show. I'm glad he's doing well.

Fallon comes across as really, really full of himself.

... Much like James Corden.

see5harp

It's sad to me that The Roots are stuck with this dude. I absolutely hate the melodica playing dude with Colbert who always says and plays the dumbest shit during Colbert's monologues. Like dude we get you quirky.

Nokterian

I've always preferred Kimmel over Fallon. Love his show. I'm glad he's doing well.

Fallon comes across as really, really full of himself.

... Much like James Corden.

I never watched Corden and yet here we are it is on dutch tv on comedy central, what a huge step down from Ferguson oh my god.

Jimmy Fallon is the epitome of failing upwards.

If Lorne Michaels didn't love him, he never would be where he is now.

No one got away with breaking character on screen more than Fallon did on SNL.

I don't think I ever watched a full episode of any late night show, just highlights on YouTube. I've never seen a single thing from Fallon.

D.Lo

It's sad to me that The Roots are stuck with this dude. I absolutely hate the melodica playing dude with Colbert who always says and plays the dumbest shit during Colbert's monologues. Like dude we get you quirky.
Yep Colbert's band guy started shit and never got any better. Try-hard Paul Shaffer without the legitimacy or history.

Blader

Man Colbert's band leader is so bad. I cringe any time he tries to start up some kind of rapport.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
For reference this is the tribute to the Vegas victims on the Tonight Show that Miley Cyrus and Adam Sandler performed.

Fallon starts off with an opening message that doesn't sound like it is coming from the heart and then Miley Cyrus and Adam Sandler perform a terrible rendition of a song by Dido called "No Freedom", which isn't exactly the type of song you sing about people that just got killed because a guy was free to buy as many weapons as he wanted.

A major part of the chorus is literally the lines "There's no love without freedom".

NandoGip

The weird thing isnt that his ratings are going down, its weirder that it was high to even begin with. He's always been trash

Fallon licks his upper lip a lot.

Now you will notice it every time he does it.

And what's with him constantly injuring a finger on his left hand? I pop his show on sporadically and I feel like every time I do he got a bandaid on lol

Steejee

While I don't watch any of the late night shows, Fallon deserves to crater just for that Trump interview.

I can only presume he's the least funny of all the hosts anyways - Colbert already proved his chops on Comedy Central , Kimmel had Ben Stein's Money and Man Show (which at least showed he could write).

Fallon on the other hand is consistently the worst part of any SNL sketch he shows up on. All he can seem to do is mug for the camera and crack while staring directly at the cue cards.

Arkeband

Banned
*Smashes some random keys 5 seconds too late for the joke* Hah HEH!

He’s kind of grown on me because he’s not really a TV guy so him cracking up at a joke “late” feels genuine. Colbert also recently had a joke about how distracting he is, so there’s a playfulness between them that is fun when it’s explored but it’s not being utilized enough.

sibarraz

Banned
Does the right have any kind of talk show? Seems like most of the hosts are anti trump, so is weird that none of them watch this kind of show, unless jimmy fallon is their favirite show because he doesnt talk about politics, which for lots of people from the right is cool.

But is weird to see that a host joking with trump will only lead him to drop viewers, and not gaining anyone

Yep Colbert's band guy started shit and never got any better. Try-hard Paul Shaffer without the legitimacy or history.

Man, posts like these made me sad. Batiste is a jazz prodigy and all-around virtuoso. His comedic timing is poor, sure, but his musical talents are unmatched in late night. Considering he's the bandleader, that's the more important attribute he brings to the table - in my opinion - and he's an absolute treasure to have on a late night show given the level he's at.

"Try-hard Paul Shaffer without the legitimacy or history"? Sweet Jesus. Jazz really is dead.

JWiLL

Banned
Craig Ferguson will always be the best late night host - god I miss that show. He's the polar opposite of Fallon in that he's the most natural and quick witted interviewer where the guests were the ones doing most of the laughing.

He either got out the exact right or exact wrong time, depending on how you look at it. I think it's probably best he stopped before all late night shows became Trump fests. His run was pure gold without the orange taint.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Honestly Kimmel seems to be the best for me now. Fallon just seems half there, and while I hate the rumor mill the drug accusations are there.

Colbert is solid, but his band sucks. Plus he's hit or miss with guests I feel.

Kimmel is better than Colbert with guests and seems to be finding his voice. He just works well for late night.

Biggest issue is people just seem over late night tv in general, and like all media people just want to watch shit on demand on their on schedules.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Craig Ferguson will always be the best late night host - god I miss that show. He's the polar opposite of Fallon in that he's the most natural and quick witted interviewer where the guests were the ones doing most of the laughing.

He either got out the exact right or exact wrong time, depending on how you look at it. I think it's probably best he stopped before all late night shows became Trump fests. His run was pure gold without the orange taint.

Craig's interviews actually felt like dialogues. That's what made them so good.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Apparently Fallon is doubling down on his approach to stay away from political jokes. (Fox news link warning)
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...-choice-to-not-join-anti-trump-bandwagon.html

Essentially he's saying that he will continue to stay away from political topics because he's just "not that interested in politics".

Take bets on how long before he tries and fails to start injecting politics into his show. I think it's inevitable since he's such a try hard people pleaser. 4

I guess he's resigned himself to cleaning up the proverbial scraps by being the Late Night Host for conservatives and hardline moderates*.

*who also don't mind really shite comedy

Ottaro

Essentially he's saying that he will continue to stay away from political topics because he's just "not that interested in politics".

Which has always been code for "I'm privileged enough not to be affected by this, and I do not care how it affects others."

I know in the grand scheme of things we are bsing about late night shows but Craig’s show really meant a lot to me. Got me through a rough patch in my life and his anti humor was so unique in the late night realm. I even went to see his show in 2011 while on a magical trip to Huntington Beach and I’ll never forget how sad I felt during his last episode. Amazing talent. Amazing show. Still very much missed.

Slayven

I said it before and i said again. Fallon just ain't built for the time. In a time where things are stable and people are eating (Clinton years, Obama) he would be killing. But now or during Bush? Nah people ain't looking for that shit.

Which has always been code for "I'm privileged enough not to be affected by this, and I do not care how it affects others."

I don't know how much his actual political motivations factor in, compared to ratings.

If he gets political, he competes with the other hosts for the same audience, and loses (potentially very big) because he's just not as funny.

If he doesn't get political, he gets to scoop up whatever audience of conservatives are too outraged by anti-Trump humor to watch the other hosts. He still loses in ratings, but he gets to keep his head mostly above water without actually having to compete in terms of comedic quality at all.

If I were an extremely mediocre comedian like Fallon, I'd probably take the Late Night Wellfare option, too.

Lulubop

People want to see political commentary in their late night shows. I gotta believe they're grooming Seth for possible successor

old

Being 'apolitical' is a luxury and privilege most would love to enjoy. But unfortunately, millions of people's health care hangs in the balance of "politics".

depths20XX

The whole debacle with Conan and Leno leading up to the eventual hiring of Fallon is one of the biggest fuck ups in late night history. A complete shit show which somehow ended up with a dude even worse than Leno.

Apparently Fallon is doubling down on his approach to stay away from political jokes. (Fox news link warning)
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...-choice-to-not-join-anti-trump-bandwagon.html

Take bets on how long before he tries and fails to start injecting politics into his show. I think it's inevitable since he's such a try hard people pleaser. 4

I can at least understand where he's coming from in terms of not wanting to talk about things that he isn't interested in, but late night hosts have really always discussed what's in the news. Particularly when it's some big news that's unavoidable. Like 9/11 and the response or Bill and the Lewinsky scandal. This isn't the Obama admin where it was just kind of plain in terms of anything scandalous happening. Every damn day something horrible is happening in the Trump administration. The audience knows all that shit is going on, so what good is it for the host to pretend that it isn't?

Top Bottom