• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jimmy Fallon Cratering in the Ratings, Skirting Near Third Place in "Late Night Wars"

Neith

Banned
Fallon has been a consistent and easy number 1 until less than a year ago.

The one constant being his comedy sucks. The guy is like a funny guy friend for squares. Always has been. He has a bit of charm, but I think it has worn thin. Novelty acts will do that. At least he has The Roots.

Nokterian

My biggest problem with fallon, i just never liked him not even as a show host. He has nothing to grasp on like others do. To me you have to make a click with your audience not only of being normal but on a ground level that everyone knows and understand that it can be funny but also political.

Kimmel does a great job same with seth meyers who needs more credit, his A Closer Look are fun but also engaging.

Fallon has never shown that, i can't watch him for 20 seconds on youtube to watch something else instead that is less annoying.

You read Late Night Wars too eh? Great book BTW.

It's a great read!

But, yeah, it's also stoked into popular culture at this point.

DRqtWL4HYimAnkJgPBy8efqqsZ8=.gif

TARS

Neo Member
Seth Meyers, Trevor Noah, John Oliver ,Samantha Bee and Colbert make quality tv, they bring the facts and fun in a blending that i really like.
Very much agreed.

Fallon is inoffensive, but I can't deal with his interviews and how he's constantly laughing.

Monocle

This pleases me enormously. Fallon's fake laughing and table slapping was so obnoxious. His completely transparent phoniness sucked the joy out of every interview. And to me he simply wasn't funny.

It's just and correct for Colbert's ratings to eclipse Fallon's. As an entertainer, Colbert is in another league. And when he gets serious, as with that early Joe Biden interview, Colbert has the brains and good instincts to draw out the best in his guests.

He should be replaced by Carson Daly. Or Kurt Loder. Or anyone with a modicum of talent. This guy was clearly a loser when he couldn't make it through a single snl skit without giggling like the unprofessional hack that he is. Then he sucked up to Trump. Fire this fucking asshole and I dunno, what's Larry Wilmore up to?

Did anyone watch Fallon for Fallon? Seems to me the games he played with celebrities got the most attention. And that shit gets old after a while.

fuck the tonight show for what they did to conan
This plus being a Trump simpatizer. Go down Fallon! He has never been trully funny, just seems like a boring ok guy that is faking the laughts as best he can. Glad he is third honestly.

Conan was robbed, he was and is the best late night host still. Colbert is also really good and speaking some actual truth and addressing what is happening in the world.

kmax

He deserves it.

He had the prime spot, he could of taken a stand. Instead, he chose to be a coward.

Guys like Colbert, Conan and Kimmel are the real champions in comparison.

XAL

It was his doing to have Sean Spicer do a skit at the Emmys, basically rebranding/normalizing him. He did for Spicer what Fallon did for Trump.

http://people.com/politics/stephen-colbert-emmys-sean-spicer-appearance/

http://www.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1434330

Colbert trotted him out for his last 15 seconds in the public eye.

There is no "normalizing" or "rebranding", he was brought out to look like a fool and feel intense hatred directed at him by all of hollywood during the show and at the afterparties. Spicer didn't get any bonus points.

The dude is dead to the public. I consider his appearance a final knife in his career.

squallheart

Craig Ferguson was the only late night show I watched regularly for interviews, while Conan always has incredible remote sketches. Of the current crop, occasionally I’d check out a YouTube video of Colbert, Meyers, or Kimmel talking about a news story. But their interviews and sketches are fairly weak.

With Fallon, uh, there’s nothing appealing about his show. News stories, interviews, games, and sketches are weak. The guy after Colbert (blanking on his name) seems to try doing the Graham Norton thing or having all guests on at once? Also didn’t find anything appealing there.

Same. I was sad when Ferguson ended his tenure. Him an Conan were my go to. I still watch clips of Ferguson on YouTube lol

Korey

Colbert trotted him out for his last 15 seconds in the public eye.

There is no "normalizing" or "rebranding", he was brought out to look like a fool and feel intense hatred directed at him by all of hollywood during the show and at the afterparties. Spicer didn't get any bonus points.

The dude is dead to the public. I consider his appearance a final knife in his career.

sean-spicer-emmys-ss04.jpg

sean-spicer-emmys.jpg

sean-spicer-emmys-ss02.jpg

sean-spicer-emmys-ss05.jpg

sean-spicer-emmys-ss07.jpg

sean-spicer-emmys-ss09.jpg

7zMdtFq.png

mSBJh1n.jpg

z5PxV6M.png

Qn5938J.png

W0g7pVM.png

Fallon is a typical muppet that doesn't like to rock the boat when it comes to politics. Their philosophy is just about making jokes and not utilizing the platform for greater good. Its telling that all other late night hosts Colbert, Conan and Meyers opened with heartfelt monologue on gun shootings in america after Las Vegas, and Fallon opened with Adam Sandler and Miley Cyrus' laughable "tribute".

Acorn

*extended fake laugh*
*Bangs desk*
*Falls off seat literally rolling on the floor laughing*

He was just told "why did the chicken cross the road"

I don't really follow US TV personalities but whenever I catch a video of this guy he seems like such a sycophantic twat.

Don't really care that much about the bit he did with Trump. He's already 'normalised' when he got the nomination.

Murkas

Just take a look at what Fallon did for his tribute to Vegas victims. That Miley Cyrus and Sandler performance smh.

When I saw that it just reminded me of Chappelle's bit:

"Who gives a fuck about what Ja Rule thinks, I'm scared to death!"

A day after a mass shooting, everyone worried and on edge.

"Ladies and gentlemen, here's Miley Cyrus and Adam Sandler."

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
It kind of makes me happy to see The Tonight Show crater after how they did Conan. In happier news, good for Colbert. I'm glad he's the number one guy now. He deserves it.

Greedings

As an outsider, whenever I see "Late Night" clips on youtube, I always found this Jimmy Fallon guy to be incredibly boring. He's not funny, he's not crazy, he's just bland and inoffensive.

Raptomex

I don't really watch The Tonight Show but I don't hate Fallon. I didn't realize people disliked him this much. It's one thing if you don't find him entertaining but because he doesn't do politics? So? That's crazy. Must every show discuss and poke fun at politics? I guess the ratings prove that's true, or people just don't find him entertaining. I should start watching his show. Not everything needs to be about politics and he was stupid to do that thing with Trump. He should have never been on the show.

Future

I don't really watch The Tonight Show but I don't hate Fallon. I didn't realize people disliked him this much. It's one thing if you don't find him entertaining but because he doesn't do politics? So? That's crazy. Must every show discuss and poke fun at politics? I guess the ratings prove that's true, or people just don't find him entertaining. I should start watching his show. Not everything needs to be about politics and he was stupid to do that thing with Trump. He should have never been on the show.

He’s not as bad as haters here will say. He was number one for a long time after all.

It’s mainly that things like late night and skit shows tend to talk about material that is current and relevant. With trump in office, many people are thinking about politics and the overall craziness in the world. Other late night hosts have things to say about this. Fallon had nothing to say, and is generally horrible at political humor

Everyone has seen the clips of him rubbing trumps head. What other clips do people remember? Can only dance with Justin Timberlake for so long, and his fun time with celebrities is not viral anymore, because it’s not current

Murkas

These talk shows aren't really shown in the UK right?

I only know Sky1 has Trevor Noah and Jon Oliver on time back from when I had Sky.

Raptomex

He’s not as bad as haters here will say. He was number one for a long time after all.

It’s mainly that things like late night and skit shows tend to talk about material that is current and relevant. With trump in office, many people are thinking about politics and the overall craziness in the world. Other late night hosts have things to say about this. Fallon had nothing to say, and is generally horrible at political humor

Everyone has seen the clips of him rubbing trumps head. What other clips do people remember? Can only dance with Justin Timberlake for so long, and his fun time with celebrities is not viral anymore, because it’s not current
Yeah, I guess that's part of the problem. You want to stay away from politics and in today's world, that basically means avoiding discussions about current events. He needs to find another way to capture audiences. I'll be honest, I'm tired of hearing about politics every damn day and applaud him for trying to stay away.

Shauni

The one constant being his comedy sucks. The guy is like a funny guy friend for squares. Always has been. He has a bit of charm, but I think it has worn thin. Novelty acts will do that. At least he has The Roots.

He's been the host for nearly four years and has been a solid and comfortable #1 for the vast majority of that time. No matter what you think of his comedy, you don't have that kind of consistent run as a 'novelty act' that wears thin. It's not concidence that Colbert started dominating late night when our politics reached a boiling point of no return.

When I rode the Race through New York ft Jimmy Fallon ride at Universal Studios, I referred to it exclusively as Escape from Jimmy Fallon. Some might say I'm a cool edgy troublemaker, but hey, I'm just me.

That said, I dislike Jimmy Fallon's comedy. It seems that the content he really popular (like the "ew" girl, Hashtag the Panda) is extremely unfunny to me. I don't mind him as a host, but I dislike him as an entertainer.

Top Bottom