• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Colbert sees a surge, has now surpassed Fallon for #1 late-night talk show

Status
Not open for further replies.

RinsFury

Corden acquits himself by his own standards, Fallon takes sycophancy to extremes

giphy.gif

1dlcw8.jpg

jimmy-fallons-guest-hi-jimmy-fallon-king-of-the-fake-4110592.png

Ugh. I absolutely despise Fallon, such a repulsive fake little worm.

Is it fair to say that Trump's presidency is the "Hugh Grant" moment where Colbert sees his fortunes change and Fallon becomes the distinct No. 2 much like Leno and Letterman years earlier after Dave lead the ratings before Leno came back in charge?

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Pretty funny now that Fallon is doing little more Trump skits every week. Good for Colbert was worried he would lose the job to Codren.

fantomena

Right now, I only watch Colbert, Kimmel and sometimes Graham. Haven't watched Fallon and Corden in a good while. Feel like Fallon is too pushy with his laughter and cringey.

Conan is still the best of late night

Conan > Colbert > Jon Oliver > Sam Bee > Trevor Noah >>>>>>>>> Jimmy Kimmel >> Jimmy Fallon

I don't watch all of 'em, but here's my political satire talk-show ranking:
Colbert > Oliver > Noah > Myers

So, I basically agree with you. The are very close together although they differ in style quite a bit (Myers is less funny but contains more actual information than Colbert; Colbert is more stand-up than "news"; Oliver is more an in-depth analysis ; etc.).
On the other hand, Colbert's interviews are often rather weak.

and the rest: Kimmel > Conan > Fallon.

I'd put Letterman in front of those 3 and Leno after Bill O'Reilly.

This is why late night TV sucks.

They have to laugh at every fucking horrible joke that their guests make and it's so transparent it hurts.

There are still those who are better at it, there are those who are worse at it, and then there's Fallon who's playing in their own league of awfulness.

Conan is the best at doing it naturally, and can display at much wider range of emotions. Colbert was pretty bad at first, but has grown into the role of interviewing people.

It's deserved.

Colbert is slipping more and more into his Colbert Report character, because of Trump. And that's a good thing.

Next to that, he's just an incredibly smart, charming and funny person. So he deserves the spot (especially over Fallon).

Colbert has pretty much gone back into full politics mode. Even his non-political guests tend to have some conversations about Trump or politics in general. That's really where Colbert has always shone.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I switched from almost exclusively fallon to almost exclusively colbert myself in the last few months.

Part of it is Fallon's segments are becoming a little overly repetitive, and Colbert getting more comfortable, but most of it probably is the drastic shift in politics.

Bladenic

Can't believe the worst of the pack is the usual highest rated. Gross. Jimmy Fallon in so untalented it's crazy. Awful on SNL, awful actor, and awful talk show host.

Fox Mulder

Thanks trump.

I missed political Colbert. I don't blame him for trying something different for a much wider audience, but we need him in Colbert Report mode.

Jimmy Fallon is the fakest Late Night Host I've ever seen. He's a Terrible Interviewer, he laughs at everything when it's not funny.He was shit when he was with SNL as well.

Jobbs

Banned
I might need to check it out [Colbert] to see if it has improved. Last I checked it was still boring and lame -- Which I was disappointed by given how wonderful The Report was.

Fallon's show can be a pretty dark watch in the context of his significant substance abuse issues.

Also this. There's something sad about it. Something seems wrong with him.

GCX

I've always loved Colbert because while he's funny, he can also hold a clever or serious interview without needing to insert jokes to every sentence. He and Conan are really smart and nice guys behind their TV personas.

The fact that Jimmy Fallon ever got a late night talk show is a fucking crime. Colbert should have taken his spot.

But I will give his show credit for the Saved By The Bell reunion skit. That was amazing.

RDreamer

Wow I didn't expect this to happen. Is Colbert finally getting more mainstream guests?

It's likely because he's actually getting back to what he's good at. He seemed kind of neutered/shackled for a while there, but now I've seen more of his stuff pop up on social media because he's getting a lot more biting toward Trump, etc.

yuraya

Colbert = Politics so this past season fell onto his lap really. He is going to have a field day with all that shit on a daily basis and he is really good at it too. I don't see anyone beating him out for the rest of the Trump presidency.

This doesn't surprise me. Haven't heard of Fallon's show in months, apart from the whole Trump debacle, which made him lose some popularity and respect. Meanwhile, Colbert has been on fire since Trump became president, and I guess people need political satire right now - he's no longer neutered, he's basically the Colbert everyone loves. Fallon doesn't have anything interesting to add to the discussion, so he will keep bleeding viewers.

:D Really pleased for him. (Especially because the last time I heard anything about how his show was going it was regarding small viewership numbers and his possibly leaving the show.)

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
So more people watch Smackdown than Colbert or Fallon? Well that puts things in perspective

Good. Fallon is doo-doo, Colbert da GOAT.

Falling back into sardonic satire and dropping a middle-of-the-road approach has worked wonders and done a lot to return him to his former greatness.

TDS has improved quite a bit as well. Full Frontal and LWT remain great.

I love how people act like that singular moment won Trump the presidency, give me a break

I'm not sure how any of that was a statement on something way more complex such as all the things that added up to Trump winning.

What that statement was about, however, was how that singular moment stained Fallon forever for a lot of people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom