• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jimmy Fallon Cratering in the Ratings, Skirting Near Third Place in "Late Night Wars"

Jimmy Fallon earlier this year ceded the late-night ratings crown to Stephen Colbert. Now, the host of NBC’s The Tonight Show finds himself flirting with a fate that not long ago would have seemed unthinkable: third place. During the first two weeks of the new TV season, Fallon has seen his lead over ABC’s Jimmy Kimmel collapse, falling from more than one million viewers a year ago to fewer than 250,000 viewers last week. And while he’s still on top with adults under 50, Fallon is losing ground in the demographic ratings race, too: Despite a heavily promoted set of shows with Miley Cyrus, Tonight’s demo numbers fell 26 percent last week vs. the same period a year ago, while Kimmel (+1%) and Colbert (-2%) stayed relatively flat. There are multiple reasons for late night’s ratings sea change, but the biggest one seems pretty clear: disrupter-in-chief Donald Trump.

http://www.vulture.com/2017/10/jimmy-fallon-continues-to-lose-ground-in-the-late-night-wars.html

Fat4all

Banned
tumblr_n2408e60Y21qlvie8o4_250.gif

Just look at all the late-night videos trending on YouTube every day. Hardly any of them are ever Fallon. TBH I kinda forgot he even existed.

I don't hate the guy, but he seriously is the worst case of phoning it in I've ever seen in comedy. Judging by his troubling incidents, I don't even think he's happy with the show.

I mean it's probably Trump related but he's also easily the worst late night host out there right now. Seth Meyers is so much better

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Yep, Fallon won't go in on Trump, Colbert and Kimmel are smart, edgy dudes. Fallon is a giggly chum for a bygone era of happy Obama times.

number11

When he started, his whole gimmick was creating trending YouTube videos. It’s been a while since I’ve seen anything from his show trend.

Grizzo

Why would they act as if a whole week of Miley Cyrus performances could have done anything to help his ratings when she is struggling to shift units of her new album?

Ivan 3414

I will continue to not be a fan of Kimmel but even he's making political stances now

I honestly can't imagine Fallon recovering in this social climate

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Just take a look at what Fallon did for his tribute to Vegas victims. That Miley Cyrus and Sandler performance smh.

DeviantBoi

Good.

Colbert deserves the ratings he gets.

I don't watch the show, but I always see his videos on YouTube the following day.

And I always watch Seth Meyer's A Closer Look segments.

Lima

I can’t stand how maniac and fake his laughs are during interviews with guests. Really annoys me tbh.

Oreoleo

I like Fallon quite a bit, but even I can admit that his fake laughing at everything, constantly interrupting guests, and general air of insincerity / corporate stooginess has gotten super off-putting.

Kimmell seems to always tap into the zeitgeist and say the right thing after tragedies/big news and Colbert finally found his footing with Late Show; this news really isn't surprising at all.

Mathieran

Banned
Most of the stuff he puts out that's good is usually despite him. I do like his Twitter bits where people write in stuff and the kid toy music videos, but none of this has to do with him.

It's like when Leno used to have the headlines every Monday. I would tune in for headlines then that was it.

But otherwise he really isn't funny or interesting so why bother watching.

Edit: His side kick guy is super annoying too

Top Bottom