• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Colbert sees a surge, has now surpassed Fallon for #1 late-night talk show

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Conan is still the best of late night

Conan >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jon Oliver > Sam Bee > Colbert >>>>>>> Jimmy Kimmel >>>>>>>>>>>>> Trevor Noah >>>>>>>>>..............>>>>>>>>>> Jimmy Fallon

I can agree with this. Though it is a bit disingenuous to compare a weekly production to a daily, but the ranking I am on board with.

Really never liked Fallon even on SNL. Trevor Noah had a tough job filling Stewart's shoes, and while I occasionally tune in and find a few great moments, its mostly not been close to the mark. I want to love Kimmel, the guy is super talented, but I think late night was not the best use of his talents.

Parshias7

Are you serious? What a silly reason to dislike someone... Was he supposed to be a dick to him on national TV? Man.. people and their hatred is weird

I guess we'd have to ask what Stephen Colbert would have done in a situation like that.

colbert.600.1.jpg

Oh, right.

I really hope the pressure Fallon is certainly feeling from corporate to improve his ratings doesn't cause him to relapse back on alcohol and cocaine.

Good.

I don't mind Fallon playing it safe politically as he seems to want to provide people with a few laughs before going to bed, and that's cool and all, but he's a bad host with an intolerable laugh (accompanied by desk slapping) and mannerisms, which include repeating what the guest said verbatim and talking over them.

Oliver > Conan remotes > Colbert > Kimmel > Conan/Bee > Noah > Fallon/Corden > Meyers

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Wow, had no idea that Fallon was so hated. Then again, I don't watch late night TV.

I liked Fallon because he seemed like a "Regular Joe" who landed in a choice spot with a stupidly talented band backing him, and tried hard to not be star struck by celebrities who he had on his show.

But this was several years ago - I don't know what his show is like nowadays. Is it really that bad? Does he not have interesting guests on? Does he not have a good intro monologue?

Its fascinating how things can change on a dime. Last year around this time all the talk was about Corden maybe swapping time slots with Colbert as he was way more popular online, had growth, etc, etc while Colbert kept slipping in the ratings.

Colbert hasn't really changed anything, after all there wasn't really a Trump to go after early in his show. People were saying though that Colbert was losing because he was trying to be a bit too political whereas Fallon appealed to the "old crowd".

A key point though I think people are missing is the most important audience demographic is still solidly Fallon:

"However, Colbert still remains No. 2 in the key demo of adults 18-49. Fallon topped Colbert with a 0.67 rating over The Late Show's 0.54 rating, giving the SNL alum a winning margin of 24 percent."

Advertising rates are mostly based off the A18-49 demo, not the overall viewers.

Conan is the greatest and when I think about the shit that went down between him and NBC that leads to him being on TBS it makes me sad.

You mean NBC giving in to all his diva demands (including kicking out the guy who was number one in ratings for years when he was still number one and didnt want to quit)? Conan is one TBS because he failed. He got everything he wanted, and his show tanked in the ratings. The viewers spoke.

Leno got shit on playing nice publicly and acting as if he was ok with getting forced out from a job he still wanted to do, and then taking that job back when Conan shit the bed and went down in flames.

br3wnor

Colbert is great, I don't have the time really to watch it on a regular basis but when I do catch an episode it's usually solid.

Fallon's schtick has definitely worn off, there's only so many times celebrities playing some random game or singing w/ him has an appeal before it gets old. Without Trump though I think he's still the ratings king.

I will say that Fallon w/ Nicole Kidman is still one of my favorite clips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtsNbxgPngA

You mean NBC giving in to all his diva demands (including kicking out the guy who was number one in ratings for years when he was still number one and didnt want to quit)? Conan is one TBS because he failed. He got everything he wanted, and his show tanked in the ratings. The viewers spoke.

Leno got shit on playing nice publicly and acting as if he was ok with getting forced out from a job he still wanted to do, and then taking that job back when Conan shit the bed and went down in flames.

Conan also got $40 (?) million on his way out so I don't feel too bad.

I watched his late show all throughout High School and to this day it's my favorite late night show of all time, but even I knew his humor wasn't going to translate to the main time slot, he was too quirky for it to work.

pierre-bernard-recliner-of-rage.jpg

GCX

This is some extreme revisionist history. Conan didn't force Jay Leno out, Leno publicly announced 5 years in advance that he'd retire and give the show to Conan.

nachum00

The fuck? He was promised a job and he got shafted by NBC and Leno. And if anything this news shows that giving a talk show host time to get comfortable in a new position can easily lead to better ratings.

I could be wrong about this but I see potential irony in people considering "hair-petting gate" as the source of Fallon's ratings slump. I suspect the real reason might be Fallon actually making fun of Trump on a regular basis now that he's President, and that turning off a portion of his largely Middle America audience.

MoeDabs

I could be wrong about this but I see potential irony in people considering "hair-petting gate" as the source of Fallon's ratings slump. I suspect the real reason might be Fallon actually making fun of Trump on a regular basis now that he's President, and that has turned off a portion of his largely Middle America audience.

So you are saying Fallon is too edgy now? Lol

Future

The second Colbert brought back the word I was in. CBS bets were right: Colbert style smart pointed humor is what we need instead of just fun time with celebrities

Fallon is one of those things in life that I just never understood the appeal. He was terribly unfunny on SNL imo yet somehow landed the best job on late night.

Crayons

Banned
I have been watching Colbert a lot more often than I used to, simply because he's such an absolute savage to Trump.

Literally had a conversation last night with my family last night where we picked Colbert over Fallon because he's a huge cunt to Trump. I suspect many other people have done the same.

Wiseblood

I hated Jimmy Fallon since his SNL days. I couldn't stand how that chucklefuck couldn't make it through a skit without cracking himself up.

Davide

I watch Colbert way more but I think Jimmy Fallon's great. His laugh is genuine and he does a good job making whoever he's interviewing feel good and laugh.

Euron

Fallon puts on a great show but he himself isn't funny.

While The Late Show isn't as good as the Colbert Report, Stephen can at least carry a show with his own humor.

That's great that he's finding his stride.

But still, I think he needs a cohost he has better chemistry with to really make this show work.

Colbert can't control a crowd like Conan can; and the show just feels awkward at times because Bapist and him don't really have many funny moments together and the laughter can feel forced. Not Fallon level obviously but still. How good Colbert is at this normally comes out in the interviews. But he needs someone to bounce off of in the first half as well

SeanC

Fallon seems like a nice likable guy, but nice and likable doesn't mean you're talented or funny. He makes his show more about him, injecting himself into singalongs and bad celebrity impressions. Seth Myers is owning him in every way when it comes to sharp wit and talent, Fallon plays it safe.

Colbert might have moved into more standard late-night fare with the new show, but that was expected. He still has a unique voice, stays political (even moreso lately which is what we all wanted to begin with) and always mixes in new bits and jokes. He needs to lose furry hat, though. More local-access community segments, please.

DOWN

Banned
Jimmy is too inoffensive about trump

Though I was surprised to find out Colbert is religious...

dLMN8R

Really happy that Colbert is getting deserved success!

The hate for Corden in this thread is pretty ridiculous though. He has some of the most fun skits and interviews, and his interactions with Reggie (and Reggie by himself) are always hilarious.

Corden's show is just pure giddy fun. I don't watch it all the time, but at least one episode a week my wife and I watch it and are always happy we did.

Also, the skits with Corden's parents are just the cutest and most endearing things ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom