• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 14| It's Rivalry Week! (fucla!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piano

Banned
Clemson vs. Alabama would be....whoooo boy.
I want to see that.

and I'm still holding out for an NIU / FSU rematch BCS title game.

cashman

Banned
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/coll...tes-james-franklin-chris-petersen-sources-say

USC's top two targets are apparently Franklin and Petersen.

So a guy with a rape scandal on his resume and a dude who is losing his luster now that his team has to face actual competition more than once a season. Sure sounds like what the Trogans need!

This does make me wonder, is the NIU coach too old for anyone to be considering him? Or do people chock their success up to Jordan Lynch?
It's early but their coach last year didn't do too hot at NC state.

andycapps

Flipping off tens of thousands of Walmart Wolverines in the Big House is every Buckeye's dream. Kudos to him for seizing the opportunity.
Should be suspended for the next game, though. That's a pretty low class thing to do as a player and shouldn't be condoned by the university. And really, it probably happens a lot more than we know about, but the cameras happened to be watching him. I just don't see why he shouldn't be suspended.

Kacar

GIMME DAT NOLE SALTINESS

WE GOING TO PASADENA SUCKA

WE COMIN

GA GNALES

And for the record, I don't recall Pollack saying any of that. Can you point out where your quotes are coming from?
It was on BCS countdown. I might of overstated what he said. He tried to downplay MSU then said Duke is still ranked so its good for FSU.

But I guess all of this is useless now that Aub didn't jump us. We are in with a win.

Karakand

Balphon

But to come to that conclusion, they created a different formula. And one that heavily favors computer rankings over the human polls. This despite the rules stating the BCS ranking is used to determine the host tiebreaker.

Pretty sure you can extend the BCS rankings using the existing BCS calculation.

It looks from the press release like they just extended the existing formula. Marshall's point totals in the human polls are really, really tiny.

But yeah, it's still pretty arbitrary. *shrug*

Enfinit

It was on BCS countdown. I might of overstated what he said. He tried to downplay MSU then said Duke is still ranked so its good for FSU.

But I guess all of this is useless now that Aub didn't jump us. We are in with a win.

Michigan State has an amazing defense, but their offense is average. Personally, I don't think they're a solid #10, but they're good. As far as Duke goes, I like that they're #20 and it certainly is good for FSU. Pollack isn't as biased as you think.

Here is my radical proposal for a new Fair and Balanced (TM) CFB schedule:

1. All BCS Conferences get real and play a title game. Gotta have another win over a ranked/quality opponent for your best team at the end of the season.

2. All BCS Conferences play 9 game conference schedules. Yes SEC teams even you. In fact this brings me to my next point...

3. No more games against FCS opponents. Sure its fun to mock Florida, but Alabama played Chattanooga in November, and that shit needs to stop.

4. In fact, I propose no more OOC games after September except for traditional rivalries like FSU/Florida, USC/ND etc.

5. All BCS conference teams must play 2 of their 3 OOC games against other BCS conference teams (or Notre Dame/BYU to preserve traditional rivalries).

6. I'm okay with the 3rd OOC game being against a non AQ team from a regionally nearby conference (ie MWC for Pac 12, Sun Belt for SEC, MAC for the B1G), although I'd love force teams to travel across country to play non AQ teams but for financial reasons no one would ever agree to this.

7. Since this whole thing is unfeasible, let's also make it so that all teams have to play an equal number of home and road games. No more of this bull shit 8 home/4 road game nonsense.

I dunno, I thought this all up while sitting on the toilet, so it probably has plenty of holes. Still I think that playoffs are kinda meaningless as long as scheduling is so messed up.

So, filthy west coast time zone types, tell me about this Clay Helton fellow at USC. I understand there's a big push for him. Dad was a Gator and he has some east coast ties. UF would match his salary no issue.

Would he leave?

Also, he has ties to Petrino's OL coach at WKU, whom we're also going after.

And Petersen is most likely USC's top choice. If he turns it down, Orgeron probably stays. I don't see Franklin going there based off of the random sports reporter chatter.

Piano

Banned
Flipping off tens of thousands of Walmart Wolverines in the Big House is every Buckeye's dream. Kudos to him for seizing the opportunity.

Your personal vendettas aside, it's a very unsportsmanlike thing to do. There should be repercussions.

It's hilarious yes, but also unacceptable.

So, filthy west coast time zone types, tell me about this Clay Helton fellow at USC. I understand there's a big push for him. Dad was a Gator and he has some east coast ties. UF would match his salary no issue.

Would he leave?

He'll "leave" USC in the sense that he's going to be kicked out, sure.

bachikarn

I'm not really in love with that hire. He was the Memphis OC but then took a position coach job at USC before eventually getting promoted to OC there. Kind of weird.

Would rather get Norvell from ASU or Dave Christensen.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Well, 2 things:
1.Alabama and Nick Saban have already been on board for 9 game conference schedules. The rest of the SEC doesn't want that (for now).
2. Alabama isn't the only team to play FCS teams. FSU, Ohio State and Auburn (and 80%+ of BCS teams) have played FCS teams.

I want to say the push back against 9 game conference schedules, is because they will be an uneven home/away setup. Could push to have the teams have a rivalry game in a neutral site (ala UGA/UF), but Auburn won't want that (more like, there aren't enough "neutral" football stadiums in the region to work, unless the Georgia Dome holds a weekly SEC game. Which, with the new stadium being planned, perhaps that's what can be done with it. But I imagine the furthest away teams won't like that at all.)

He'll "leave" USC in the sense that he's going to be kicked out, sure.

So y'all aren't impressed? I thought Kiffy ran the USC offense and that it got better once he was gone. I base that on almost nothing other than EDSBS tweets.

I'm not really in love with that hire. He was the Memphis OC but then took a position coach job at USC before eventually getting promoted to OC there. Kind of weird.

Would rather get Norvell from ASU or Dave Christensen.

Norvell would be nice. But may be tougher to get him out of the Pac12

Karl2177

Courtney Messingham got released from ISU today. Next season you can expect us to do more than run up the middle and WR screens.

Draxal

Well, 2 things:
1.Alabama and Nick Saban have already been on board for 9 game conference schedules. The rest of the SEC doesn't want that (for now).
2. Alabama isn't the only team to play FCS teams. FSU, Ohio State and Auburn (and 80%+ of BCS teams) have played FCS teams.

I want to say the push back against 9 game conference schedules, is because they will be an uneven home/away setup. Could push to have the teams have a rivalry game in a neutral site (ala UGA/UF), but Auburn won't want that (more like, there aren't enough "neutral" football stadiums in the region to work, unless the Georgia Dome holds a weekly SEC game. Which, with the new stadium being planned, perhaps that's what can be done with it. But I imagine the furthest away teams won't like that at all.)

Specifically the pushback is against having only 6 home games instead of 7, which is a huuuuuuuuuuuuge deal.

So y'all aren't impressed? I thought Kiffy ran the USC offense and that it got better once he was gone. I base that on almost nothing other than EDSBS tweets.

Not really, no. The offense after Kiffin wasn't actually that different, other than mostly getting rid of the bubble screen and spreading the ball around more. Production generally improved but it was mostly because talented guys were getting more of a chance to do their thing, whereas Kiffin kind of kept them in the doghouse.

Helton still had big issues with second half adjustments and recognizing what was working and what wasn't -- for instance, not focusing more on the running game when it was working very well. The offense was pretty much non-existent in the second half of games, and especially the fourth quarter. In the post-Kiffin era, USC was averaging less than 4 points in the 4th quarter.

Well, 2 things:

I wasn't trying to single out Bama with the FCS stuff, I was just too lazy to type up multiple examples. Your point about the 9 conference games is valid though.

I think Helton was an improvement in that he wasn't Kiffin. He stopped with the obvious WR screens and Bubble Screens and that helped. The USC play calling was more balanced in terms of run/pass under him as well. Its hard to judge him because USC was pretty depleted at every position other than RB as the season went on. He did manage to turn Cody Kessler into a guy who was getting 60%+ completions and around 200 yards per game for all but the last two games. In the USC games I watched they didn't do anything too amazing, and a lot of the play calling was still pretty old fashioned, but they were less predictable.

I'm all for no more FCS scheduling, though.

But many FCS schools rely on that big paycheck from an FBS school.

Here's my solution: Allow FBS schools to schedule an FCS school as a pre-season scrimmage. The FCS school will be generously compensated for being a whipping bag, and that game will not count toward the 12 game schedule. Besides, fans are itching for CFB in August, and a game like that in zero week would whet our appetite after a long offseason.

So yeah, add this to the list of purple cheeto's revisions.

ACC was going to do 9 game schedules, but backed off. I want to say they backed away after securing the Notre Dame partial schedule (5 games every year against ACC opponents), since that's basically a ninth league game every 2 to 3 years as it is.

But to come to that conclusion, they created a different formula. And one that heavily favors computer rankings over the human polls. This despite the rules stating the BCS ranking is used to determine the host tiebreaker.

Pretty sure you can extend the BCS rankings using the existing BCS calculation.

They changed the rules today. The facebook page is getting lit up, and rightfully so. They basically changed the rules to find a way for Rice to host the game.

rice-florida-atlantic-crowd.png

vs.

mars-edwards-stadium-l_display_image.jpg

SMH

Lonestar

you probably could have funky setups in the PAC North and South.

Alternative is to go with the bizaare names like the ACC or B1G. Atlantic or Coastal, Leaders or Legends. All Nonsense.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
you probably could have funky setups in the PAC North and South.

Alternative is to go with the bizaare names like the ACC or B1G. Atlantic or Coastal, Leaders or Legends. All Nonsense.

I assure you, using east and west for the current SEC divisions is far more nonsensical than "Atlantic" and "Coastal".

I assure you, using east and west for the current SEC divisions is far more nonsensical than "Atlantic" and "Coastal".

nonsensical? more like redundant. Aren't all ACC schools just as close to the atlantic as they are the coast? MAYBE USF is closest coast is the gulf, but i'm not sure.....

They changed the rules today. The facebook page is getting lit up, and rightfully so. They basically changed the rules to find a way for Rice to host the game.

rice-florida-atlantic-crowd.png

vs.

mars-edwards-stadium-l_display_image.jpg

SMH

given the evidence presented, why do you believe CUSA wanted the game to be played at Rice so badly?

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
But many FCS schools rely on that big paycheck from an FBS school.

Here's my solution: Allow FBS schools to schedule an FCS school as a pre-season scrimmage. The FCS school will be generously compensated for being a whipping bag, and that game will not count toward the 12 game schedule. Besides, fans are itching for CFB in August, and a game like that in zero week would whet our appetite after a long offseason.

So yeah, add this to the list of purple cheeto's revisions.

Who had the idea to have the spring games be FCS v FBS? I'm for that one.

given the evidence presented, why do you believe CUSA wanted the game to be played at Rice so badly?

How easy could it have been to say "As Marshall is 21 spots higher than Rice in the BCS rankings using the BCS Formula, the game shall be hosted in Huntington." Instead, they had to make up their own formula that is completely fucked.

It's just shocking. I can't wait to abandon this conference. MAC, AAC, SWAC, IDGAF. It feels like going to the bowling alley a month after everyone you knew stopped going. Depressing.

Easy as shit, though.

EDIT: Here's how they came to the conclusion:
AUzFhY4.jpg

Looks like some numbers they cited are very wrong, and reversed. Must be a typo on the press release, I'm sure.

Who had the idea to have the spring games be FCS v FBS? I'm for that one.

I would be fine with that as well. As of now spring games are zero sum games. It would be nice to watch a good offensive or defensive play and not have to remind yourself that the other side looked equally bad on the play.

Balphon

How easy could it have been to say "As Marshall is 21 spots higher than Rice in the BCS rankings using the BCS Formula, the game shall be hosted in Huntington." Instead, they had to make up their own formula that is completely fucked.

It's just shocking. I can't wait to abandon this conference. MAC, AAC, SWAC, IDGAF. It feels like going to the bowling alley a month after everyone you knew stopped going. Depressing.

Easy as shit, though.

EDIT: Here's how they came to the conclusion:
AUzFhY4.jpg

Looks like some numbers they cited are very wrong, and reversed. Must be a typo on the press release, I'm sure.

The Sagarin ranking for BCS purposes is the number on the right (in green), not the one on the left. Likewise, Massey's updated BCS rankings don't even appear to be posted on his website; the image you're citing isn't them.

A couple of them actually do appear to be a few positions off in the press release, but it's not that extreme. Still weird, though.

The Sagarin ranking for BCS purposes is the number on the right (in green), not the one on the left. Likewise, Massey's updated BCS rankings don't even appear to be posted on his website; the image you're citing isn't them.

A couple of them actually do appear to be a few positions off in the press release, but it's not that extreme. Still weird, though.

For obvious reasons, I am new to BCS computer poll-watching.

Are these the correct Massey rankings? http://www.masseyratings.com/cf/compare.htm

Also, are these not the correct Sagarin numbers?http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/

If so, they agree with the image. (also, even though it is still in Rice's favor, the Wolfe poll I found online matches the numbers cited in the image.)

However, I still think Rice would win out with just computers. The Human polls were completely disregarded for the purposes of determining the tie-breaker.

Balphon

For obvious reasons, I am new to BCS computer poll-watching.

Are these the correct Massey rankings? http://www.masseyratings.com/cf/compare.htm

They don't appear to be, no. They'd normally be here, but they don't appear to be updated:

http://www.masseyratings.com/rate.php?lg=cf&sub=FBS&mid=6

They may be somewhere in that composite you linked, but I can't tell.

Also, are these not the correct Sagarin numbers?http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/

Those are it, but like I said, the BCS uses the number on the far right (in green), not the number on the far left (in black).

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
nonsensical? more like redundant. Aren't all ACC schools just as close to the atlantic as they are the coast? MAYBE USF is closest coast is the gulf, but i'm not sure.....

We could try Football school/Basketball School....

ACC Football School:
FSU
Clemson
BC
VT
GT
Miami
Pitt

ACC Basketball School
Duke
UNC
Louisville
Syracuse
UVA
WF
NCSU

But they don't split divisions in basketball, and ND is a member in that regard.

How about ACC This Way and ACC That Way, or ACC Sweet Tee and ACC Regular Tea?

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Somebody put some serious thought into this:

1455894_10151728033652261_1995391908_n.jpg

And spent way to much time on something that is meaningless.

All life is pain.

Lonestar

Somebody put some serious thought into this:

1455894_10151728033652261_1995391908_n.jpg

And spent way to much time on something that is meaningless.

All life is pain.

We still posting here?

I guess, if it happens, that AU plays in the BCS Championship (in the Rose Bowl), and Alabama gets the unlikely spot in the actual Rose Bowl, then hey, maybe our players will go about and hide dead animals around the locker room, perhaps get a MRSA hookup from Mark Barron.

They don't appear to be, no. They'd normally be here, but they don't appear to be updated:

http://www.masseyratings.com/rate.php?lg=cf&sub=FBS&mid=6

They may be somewhere in that composite you linked, but I can't tell.

Those are it, but like I said, the BCS uses the number on the far right (in green), not the number on the far left (in black).

I see.

Welp, not that it would matter anyway. Needed the human polls to be counted, and they weren't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom