• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2016 Championship Week: Of Meaningless Titles

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdyhybrid

Nobody's saying these kids quitting isn't within their right, but it's not something to be applauded. Do you want to see seniors or draft-eligible juniors from dropping off the team the moment they perceive their teams to be eliminated from the playoffs? What about players who think they'll have a shot at the NFL from just foregoing their entire last year? Would you applaud these kids? If so, you're just applauding the demise of college football.

Sure you can be fan of college football, while acknowledging its flaws. But I don't see how you can applaud the kids who quit before the bowl game while still calling yourself a fan of college football. Even if you start paying the players, colleges aren't going to be able to pay these kids even close to what the NFL pays players, so there's still the same incentives for the players to sit out.
I think the slippery slope argument is overblown. This would only apply to a handful of guys on a handful of teams.

Karl2177

Flood is gone, so fuck Rutgers.
Tressel is gone, so fuck Ohio State.
Carroll is gone, so fuck Southern Cal.

Part of me doesn't understand why the penalties aren't harsher on the coaches, because all this does is hurt the current student athletes and hurts the university in coming years. Then again a coach can leave on a whim, while players are forced to sit out a couple semesters of they leave. It's one thing when it's institutional like Baylor or Penn St, it's another when it's largely a single coach.

Part of me doesn't understand why the penalties aren't harsher on the coaches, because all this does is hurt the current student athletes and hurts the university in coming years. Then again a coach can leave on a whim, while players are forced to sit out a couple semesters of they leave. It's one thing when it's institutional like Baylor or Penn St, it's another when it's largely a single coach.

But tressel got fired cuz of it.....

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
John Werner
‏@JohnWernerTrib
Baylor senior running back Shock Linwood has elected not to play in Cactus Bowl to focus on possible NFL career.

My only comment:

"Who?"

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
My only comment:

"Who?"

He's run for a ton of yards (4,000+) on what has been a top 10 team most of the last 4 years. Two 1,000+ yard seasons and he holds Baylor's career rushing yards record. He's not that unknown.

Don't think he's anywhere close to being a high pick, though. I think this is just about being done with the University and all the issues over the last half year. He was in the doghouse a large part of this past season and at one point IIRC was suspended for shoving an assistant coach during a game.

::edit::
Speaking of Baylor and your avatar -

gIuhJry.png

Which one of those is not like the other....Flood was never going to get another HC job anywhere after the disaster he created at Rutgers.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
They say Mahomes is 50/50 on heading to the draft as of now, but that he mentions the money being hard to pass up a fair bit. I'd still guess he's leaving but if there wasn't at least a decent chance he'd be back he would have already announced that he's gone.

We'll still be really shallow at QB if Mahomes leaves but history has shown we shouldn't really worry about what Kingsbury puts out there behind center. Much more concerned with our rushing OL growing up than I am with whatever Mahomes does.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Bob Stoops on Mixon -

Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops said in a Wednesday that had the events surrounding Joe Mixon’s 2014 punch of a woman happened today, he would have been dismissed from the team.
He said he believes the world has changed since the incident, and that Mixon would have been off the team right away...“There’s no recovering from these incidents anymore.”

So thanks to /cfb on Reddit someone found out that Jeffrey Okudah may have already enrolled at OSU before actually committing. He shows up in the student database already. Amazing if true.

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/i...ce_report_receiv_1.html#incart_river_home_pop

"There is no reason for that," coach Nick Saban said after practice of Stewart working some with the quarterbacks during drills. "I mean, he's got a pulled muscle, and he's limited in practice, so I don't know of any reason for it. And if we had a reason for it, do you think I would tell you?"
After completing a fade pass in the end zone to receiver Xavian Marks, Stewart playfully held up both hands like he was signaling a touchdown.

Lol at Saban acting like he's not just trying to give Washington something else to think about. Never change, Nick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom