• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2016 Championship Week: Of Meaningless Titles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saban once called himself a shit coach that nobody would ever out-recruit. An obvious exaggeration, but still funny.

Kinda funny no one ever considers Saban for COTY. We had so many questions this season, with the main one being who would take the reins behind center, and he's lead us to an undefeated season and a third straight playoff birth. And he doesn't appear to be slowing down any.

What's the first bowl game everyone's looking forward to this upcoming week?

Saban once called himself a shit coach that nobody would ever out-recruit. An obvious exaggeration, but still funny.

Kinda funny no one ever considers Saban for COTY. We had so many questions this season, with the main one being who would take the reins behind center, and he's lead us to an undefeated season and a third straight playoff birth. And he doesn't appear to be slowing down any.

What's the first bowl game everyone's looking forward to this upcoming week?

Comes with the territory. Ohio state hasn't won big 10 coach of the year since the 80s

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Didn't saban win his first national championship with Shula's shit players? Can't remember when their first national championship was.
The seniors and redshirt juniors were Shula's. Saban had the 2007,2008 and 2009 recruiting classes before his first MNC.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
To this day, I still think that was a dumb call for Nebraska.

the talent deficient on Nebraska's roster is entirely at the hands of Bo Pelini.

When he is forced to return is P5 All-Conference (or even All-American) FBS rentals, Youngstown will come back down to earth. Hell they even won the last game on a circus catch.

andycapps

The seniors and redshirt juniors were Shula's. Saban had the 2007,2008 and 2009 recruiting classes before his first MNC.
I wonder how many of Shula's players were actually playing. I'd say the few that remained after Saban's rounds of roster management may have actually contributed, but wouldn't be shocked if the more talented, younger players played a significant role.

I wonder how many of Shula's players were actually playing. I'd say the few that remained after Saban's rounds of roster management may have actually contributed, but wouldn't be shocked if the more talented, younger players played a significant role.

The QB was a senior. Leading rusher was a junior. 3 of the top 5 tacklers were juniors. Top 3 in sacks were 2 seniors and 1 junior. Top 3 in picks were all juniors.

The number 1 receiver was some freshman named Julio Jones that caught more passes than almost everyone else combined for some strange reason. Second most receptions belonged to junior running back Glen Coffee. Second leading rusher was freshman Mark Ingram.

So I dunno, it was only Saban's second year but outside of Ingram and Jones it seems like the core were all juniors and seniors. I didn't dig into the defensive stats enough to see how many under classmen contributed but it's hard to say any of them were more than role players.

Y'all really took the time to research answers for my troll question lol. Of course Saban is a great coach and could probably win with a lot less talent than he has, but could he win with Zero All Americans like Washington? Probably not in the SEC. Good news for Washington is that making the playoffs will lure those All Americans on the West coast to play for Washington.

cdyhybrid

Y'all really took the time to research answers for my troll question lol. Of course Saban is a great coach and could probably win with a lot less talent than he has, but could he win with Zero All Americans like Washington? Probably not in the SEC. Good news for Washington is that making the playoffs will lure those All Americans on the West coast to play for Washington.

That's only UA All-Americans.

It's not like Petersen is recruiting people no one's ever heard of.

That's only UA All-Americans.

It's not like Petersen is recruiting people no one's ever heard of.

Of course not, but if you average the last 4 recruiting classes of each of the playoff teams (by a recruiting website of your choosing), I imagine Washington is 4th with a sizable margin from 3rd.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Washington looks to have gotten 6-8 4 stars every year the last 4 years. Probably leads to having a starting 22 being mostly 4 stars. A pretty good starting lineup. Issues will appear when depth happens. Depth is how Alabama beats teams, usually.

tebunker

Banned

I got that you were joking, but any serious Bama fan will tell you the Position coaches and Scott MFing Cochran are the real reasons the players are so good.

That is Saban's ultimate genius. Dude has built a complete program from top to bottom. He knew HC and recruiting were only two parts to the process. The position coaches he brings in all have NFL and CFB HC level experience and are some of the best you can find. Then Cochran is arguably the best SC in CFB and would probably put some Pro SC's to shame. That guy is the secret sauce because he gets more time with the team than anyone, and can push them to get better, faster, stronger and meaner.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
The QB was a senior. Leading rusher was a junior. 3 of the top 5 tacklers were juniors. Top 3 in sacks were 2 seniors and 1 junior. Top 3 in picks were all juniors.

The number 1 receiver was some freshman named Julio Jones that caught more passes than almost everyone else combined for some strange reason. Second most receptions belonged to junior running back Glen Coffee. Second leading rusher was freshman Mark Ingram.

So I dunno, it was only Saban's second year but outside of Ingram and Jones it seems like the core were all juniors and seniors. I didn't dig into the defensive stats enough to see how many under classmen contributed but it's hard to say any of them were more than role players.
McElroy was a RS Junior. He was back in 2010.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Maybe one day, Miss State will do well enough to make it to a big time bowl game, one with millions of viewers.

Just so more people out there will come to understand what we already know: That the NCAA needs to ban the cowbell.

ryseing

This game is a travesty. Jesus.

Maybe one day, Miss State will do well enough to make it to a big time bowl game, one with millions of viewers.

Just so more people out there will come to understand what we already know: That the NCAA needs to ban the cowbell.

Were cowbells banned at the NY6 they made a couple years back? I thought they were.

RoKKeR

Vanderbilt's the Alabama of the SEC if you just look at academics.
Yes indeed we are! They'll never get rid of us for that reason alone.

What an embarrassing performance on literally every level. How is this the same team that embarrassed UT a few weeks ago? Lol

ryseing

Yes indeed we are! They'll never get rid of us for that reason alone.

What an embarrassing performance on literally every level. How is this the same team that embarrassed UT a few weeks ago? Lol

I feel bad for your QB. Whenever he isn't getting hit his receivers are dropping easy balls.

cdyhybrid

The most impressive stat of bowl season:

Ross Dellenger
‏@RossDellenger
#LSU football players consumed 4,000 wings tonight, a Buffalo Wild Wings manager says.

Also Wazzu Couged it, sky is blue, water wet, etc.

Kevtones

Minnesota is actually pretty good at playing to the level of their opponent. They were dominating Wisconsin by double digits before their QB threw 4 picks in the 2nd half. Never won by much, never lost by much.

GREAT performance by their D. Not a good show for the Pac.

cdyhybrid

IJO3lnb.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom