• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2016 Championship Week: Of Meaningless Titles

Status
Not open for further replies.
So thanks to /cfb on Reddit someone found out that Jeffrey Okudah may have already enrolled at OSU before actually committing. He shows up in the student database already. Amazing if true.
He's been a silent commit the entire time..

Him and Darnay make it official at the Army All American Bowl.

Okudah and Pryor at the Safety positions..

Wade and Darnay at the corners with Riep playing the nickel..

And Darnay pulling double duty on KR/PR being our Adoree Jackson..

That will be excellent

andycapps

So thanks to /cfb on Reddit someone found out that Jeffrey Okudah may have already enrolled at OSU before actually committing. He shows up in the student database already. Amazing if true.
I believe that isn't always a reliable indicator. Early enrollees typically apply at multiple schools that they're deciding between and oftentimes are added to the school directory early.

Rumors kicking around ed Warrnier will leave OSU OC job to take the same role at Texas. Kevin Wilson has been seen around Columbus recently which sounds like he could be the replacement.

andycapps

Rumors kicking around ed Warrnier will leave OSU OC job to take the same role at Texas. Kevin Wilson has been seen around Columbus recently which sounds like he could be the replacement.
AVh6HFr.gif

How would you feel if JT Barrett became a graduate transfer to follow him?
That's a tough question to be honest..

JT is probably the best QB we've ever had (I would argue that he may be better than even Troy)...

However... he has shown regression in some ways and as much as we'd like to blame everything on Tim.. it's not all his fault.. JT regresses to his flaws as a freshman (holding the ball too long and overthinking instead of making a decision.. there's a fine line between being cautious and being scared.. sometimes JT crosses into being scared of making a mistake)

I would really want him to finish his career as a Buckeye because of how important he has been to the team and the program.. he has been a damn good leader on the field and is a likeable guy.

but on the other hand.. if he were to stay another year.. it creates a further logjam at QB that is just going to be even more difficult as we have Haskins (who seems to be JT 2.0 in some ways as he can throw the ball better than JT), Joe Burrow who is an excellent pocket passer and has shown he has some mobility, Tate Martell looks to be the next heir apparent and now we will look to have Emory Jones next year.

It's really difficult to answer..

Looking ahead to 2018 recruiting..

Clemson's class is going to be really really stupid in terms of potential.. god they are going to be scary.

andycapps

That's a tough question to be honest..

JT is probably the best QB we've ever had (I would argue that he may be better than even Troy)...

However... he has shown regression in some ways and as much as we'd like to blame everything on Tim.. it's not all his fault.. JT regresses to his flaws as a freshman (holding the ball too long and overthinking instead of making a decision.. there's a fine line between being cautious and being scared.. sometimes JT crosses into being scared of making a mistake)

I would really want him to finish his career as a Buckeye because of how important he has been to the team and the program.. he has been a damn good leader on the field and is a likeable guy.

but on the other hand.. if he were to stay another year.. it creates a further logjam at QB that is just going to be even more difficult as we have Haskins (who seems to be JT 2.0 in some ways as he can throw the ball better than JT), Joe Burrow who is an excellent pocket passer and has shown he has some mobility, Tate Martell looks to be the next heir apparent and now we will look to have Emory Jones next year.

It's really difficult to answer..

Looking ahead to 2018 recruiting..

Clemson's class is going to be really really stupid in terms of potential.. god they are going to be scary.
Whoever is your QB coach should have to answer for JT's regression as a QB. In what should be his best season I think most people also feel like Larry David in that gif above.

Whoever is your QB coach should have to answer for JT's regression as a QB. In what should be his best season I think most people also feel like Larry David in that gif above.
It's not necessarily just a regression.. it's that he still makes the same mistakes he did when he was two years ago (holding the ball too long and overthinking his reads.. he still forgets as a QB that you need to shit or get off the pot. Make a decision.. don't stand there and get nailed by a dline)

It's a whole host of reasons as to why JT didn't break out. Tim deserves a good chunk of the blame. But he just doesn't deserve all of it.. our Oline while excellent at run blocking is mediocre at best in the passing game

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Dave Miller ‏@Miller_Dave 10m10 minutes ago
#UNC RB Elijah Hood will not play in Sun Bowl due to “medical reasons," per the school. Both Christian McCaffrey & Hood will miss the game.

I believe him.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Why? Surely he could just use his UNC educat-

Never mind.
If ever a school deserved to be slapped by the NCAA, Penn State aside, it's UNC. If our entire argument against paying these kids to play a sport is that they're receiving a valuable education in exchange for their services, then schools need to be heavily punished when they so flagrantly defraud these kids out of the education they're paying for with their athletic skills.

Outside of the schadenfreude of watching schools like Mississippi squirm when they're in the spotlight for giving players like Tunsil a few hundred bucks here and there, I could give two shits about illegal benefits a kid receives while in school. But this shit absolutely infuriates me. Sure, even if they don't "earn" the degree they receive from a school like UNC, the diploma itself has some inherent value. But even this nominal value is diminished when a school gets busted for academic fraud to this extent.

andycapps

So Shane Beamer was involved in Wakeyleaks.

Is it just me or is Wakeyleaks the best scandal name of all time.

Best part is that he was there for the 6-3 game with them.

Honestly, I don't get why UGA is fining him for something he says he didn't do anything with 3 years ago at another school. Guess our AD still thinks they need to be super pious even with Richt gone.

cdyhybrid

If ever a school deserved to be slapped by the NCAA, Penn State aside, it's UNC. If our entire argument against paying these kids to play a sport is that they're receiving a valuable education in exchange for their services, then schools need to be heavily punished when they so flagrantly defraud these kids out of the education they're paying for with their athletic skills.

Outside of the schadenfreude of watching schools like Mississippi squirm when they're in the spotlight for giving players like Tunsil a few hundred bucks here and there, I could give two shits about illegal benefits a kid receives while in school. But this shit absolutely infuriates me. Sure, even if they don't "earn" the degree they receive from a school like UNC, the diploma itself has some inherent value. But even this nominal value is diminished when a school gets busted for academic fraud to this extent.
Agreed.

So catching myself up with the Warinner to Texas news

It might also be Tim Beck that may go to Texas instead of Ed.. Wilson was at the Woody last week.. that much we do know.

My biggest concern with Beck going is we lose that foothold into Texas recruiting as Tom and Tim are the main reasons why we have gained as excellent foothold into the state since before we have had very little success pulling few every so often from there. What region can Wilson bring in if he comes on board. I know he was on staff with Bob at Oklahoma.. did Indiana ever recruit Texas at all under Wilson? I'm not familiar with the recruiting history of Indiana.

Also there may also be some rumors about Zack Smith may leave as well (that I do not want at all.. outside of Urban.. he is probably our best recruiter). If we were to lose one or both of Warriner and Beck to Texas.. then maybe we bring in Helfrich as well as that could help open ourselves up to recruit the west coast in response to potentially losing our ins with Texas.

That potato bowl was extremely entertaining if for no other reason, the field was a sheet of ice at points, and seeing back to back to back touchdowns because of players slipping was hilarious

Reminded me of when we would make the conditions in madden terrible and crank up the injuries

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
That potato bowl was extremely entertaining if for no other reason, the field was a sheet of ice at points, and seeing back to back to back touchdowns because of players slipping was hilarious

Reminded me of when we would make the conditions in madden terrible and crank up the injuries

I felt bad for enjoying that. Like the dude ran in untouched for a TD and then slips and falls while tossing the ball to the ref. Field was completely horrible, hope none of the injuries from it were serious.

I felt bad for enjoying that. Like the dude ran in untouched for a TD and then slips and falls while tossing the ball to the ref. Field was completely horrible, hope none of the injuries from it were serious.
To be clear, wasn't hoping or wanting injuries, just don't see field conditions like that these days

cdyhybrid

Someone posted a shirtless picture of a committed recruit on our $9.95 recruiting board.

Does this mean we've arrived as a program?

Xenus

So catching myself up with the Warinner to Texas news

It might also be Tim Beck that may go to Texas instead of Ed.. Wilson was at the Woody last week.. that much we do know.

My biggest concern with Beck going is we lose that foothold into Texas recruiting as Tom and Tim are the main reasons why we have gained as excellent foothold into the state since before we have had very little success pulling few every so often from there. What region can Wilson bring in if he comes on board. I know he was on staff with Bob at Oklahoma.. did Indiana ever recruit Texas at all under Wilson? I'm not familiar with the recruiting history of Indiana.

Also there may also be some rumors about Zack Smith may leave as well (that I do not want at all.. outside of Urban.. he is probably our best recruiter). If we were to lose one or both of Warriner and Beck to Texas.. then maybe we bring in Helfrich as well as that could help open ourselves up to recruit the west coast in response to potentially losing our ins with Texas.

I'd much rather lose Beck. He's a great recruiter but really meh as a coach and OC. Warriner is a hell of an Oline coach and seems ok as an OC by his history. I haven't heard a peep about Zack Smith or where'd he go.

I'd much rather lose Beck. He's a great recruiter but really meh as a coach and OC. Warriner is a hell of an Oline coach and seems ok as an OC by his history. I haven't heard a peep about Zack Smith or where'd he go.
As long as we find someone who can keep us in Texas which part of me thinks is why Tom might try and take Beck since let's be real... Tom's running the offense and quarterbacks.

If both Ed and Tim go.. bring in Helfrich and Wilson to be Co-OCs since I don't think Urban is looking to promote Alford or Zack to OC yet.

FyreWulff

lol we fire Bo and he's going to his division's national championship

meanwhile over in Nebraska, our starters can't stop a pop quiz, let alone a rush offense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom