• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2016 Week Nine: Penn State Overcomes Adversity, is Healing Now

cdyhybrid

you left out any mention of "road games" because Michigan has no response for that.

Do also have whatever that game against a 2 win MSUn was, as well as playing Hawaii, UCF and Colorado as OOC, and Michigan gets Zero Credit for scheduling Colorado, who hasn't so much improved, as had the entire North division "devolve" (potentially also why Washington isn't top 4 yet.)
Colorado has definitely improved.

jfkgoblue

you left out any mention of "road games" because Michigan has no response for that.

Do also have whatever that game was, against a 2 win MSUn was. Also played Hawaii, UCF and Colorado as OOC, and Michigan gets Zero Credit for scheduling Colorado, who hasn't so much improved, as had the entire North division "devolve" (potentially also why Washington isn't top 4 yet.)
Road wins are great, but are very overrated... Some one posted earlier in the season that home field advantage is actually pretty small, but you are right, no ranked games on the road yet...

And what happened to Michigan vs MSU is nothing like Clemson vs Troy or NC State... THEY SHOULD HAVE LOST to NC State at home. MSU was never in the game after the first quarter, and it was also a rivalry game so...

Also wtf is your rant about Colorado even about? Colorado is one of the best OOC wins by any team this season

Also wtf is your rant about Colorado even about? Colorado is one of the best OOC wins by any team this season

Is it?

Ohio state has an OOC win @#14 Oklahoma
Pitt has an OOC win vs #12 Pedo St
Wiscy has an OOC win vs #13 LSU
Clemson has an OOC win @#9 Auburn

Also, didn't Colorado lose their QB at some point in your game against them?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Road wins are great, but are very overrated... Some one posted earlier in the season that home field advantage is actually pretty small, but you are right, no ranked games on the road yet...

And what happened to Michigan vs MSU is nothing like Clemson vs Troy or NC State... THEY SHOULD HAVE LOST to NC State at home. MSU was never in the game after the first quarter, and it was also a rivalry game so...

heh, ok guy. I mean, I'd hold Wincy/LSU, Clemson/Auburn, OSUn/OU, and Alabama/USCw over that mighty win on Colorado.

Easy to say road games don't matter as much, when it's week 6 before you try one out (good ole Rutgers, taking one for the team).

tumblr_mbydldFNeP1rgbma5o1_500.gif

Lonestar

Also, the rant is: No one expected anything out of Colorado. Not Colorado themselves, and certainly not expecting Oregon and Stanford to be what they are. Michigan set up a game with Colorado a few years back (probably to replace the loss of the ND game), and had similar expectations to anyone else scheduling Colorado (or Kansas, Southern Miss, or the 13 Directional Florida teams). A substandard P5 team.

In a way, it's sad that Alabama didn't continue with it's Michigan State series, which I think would have been this year and next. 100% better credit than playing Colorado, as well as being a trainwreck.

Also, the rant is: No one expected anything out of Colorado. Not Colorado themselves, and certainly not expecting Oregon and Stanford to be what they are. Michigan set up a game with Colorado a few years back (probably to replace the loss of the ND game), and had similar expectations to anyone else scheduling Colorado (or Kansas, Southern Miss, or the 13 Directional Florida teams). A substandard P5 team.

In a way, it's sad that Alabama didn't continue with it's Michigan State series, which I think would have been this year and next. 100% better credit than playing Colorado, as well as being a trainwreck.

Based on the quotes after Colorado became bowl eligible Colorado themselves most certainly expected to be more than just 6 wins good this year.

Also 538 gives 69% odds right now that Not Alabama will win the CFP.

Edit: http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-college-football-predictions/?ex_cid=538twitter

Lonestar

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Based on the quotes after Colorado became bowl eligible Colorado themselves most certainly expected to be more than just 6 wins good this year.

Also 538 gives 69% odds right now that Not Alabama will win the CFP.

Edit: http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-college-football-predictions/?ex_cid=538twitter

31% already isn't exactly bad. Assuming Bama beats LSU that should jump more since this game will probably be the lowest win % game until the playoff.

Curiously, if playoff does end up being Bama/Michigan/Clemson/Washington, 538 gives the edge to Michigan over Bama, with both well above the other two.

Also worth noting Colorado still has to play Wazzu and I think if Colorado can afford to drop that one and win the South if USC loses to UW.

The conferences nightmare scenario is probably UW losing to USC and Colorado losing to WSU with UW beating WSU.

Although the actual nightmare is UW losing 2 games.

Lonestar

$9.95 guys are saying there were rumors floating around SLC that Gameday had interest in the USC @ UW game next week.

Sounds like some might be buying into that CoachO Hype in Baton Rougugoue.

or is USCw @ Washington the following week?

Kevtones

UW hasn't really played anyone outside of Utah (who hasn't really been that impressive). Given the Pac12 seems a bit mediocre this year, or perhaps lacking a 2nd great team, it's not surprising their SoS has them 5th.

If they win out, they're in. Simple as that. If they lose one it's going to be realllllly difficult given the league's perception.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Even after Bama executes them on national TV this weekend?

RE: Edit - Yeah, UW plays the Fightin' Cyans this week. USC is next weekend.

I'll be surprised if it's anywhere remotely close to an "execution." Unless Hurts improved his passing tremendously over the bye week, LSU has the defense to give Bama's offense fits. Of course the reverse applies as well, so this could end up being another 9-6 game of the century. And for what it's worth, in Saban's time at Bama he has only won a single game in regulation at LSU, by 4 points. Of the other three, two were won in OT and one was a loss.

I'll certainly hope for an execution though, but really I'll just be happy to come out with a W, let alone cover the 7 point spread.

Karl2177

Week 9 pick 'em results: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pIZpmZKCDfNkBeqWC6_uAq_ha-2hCj8eekATF-jU4W4/edit?usp=sharing

Code:
Week 9	Total	Username
0	47	Affeinvasion
10	75	ag
9	55	AlteredBeast
7	53	andycapps
0	29	Battlezone
0	30	BertramCooper
10	10	Bigskinny0310
9	63	bpfd
6	62	BTM
9	60	Bucknuticus
9	56	cashman
7	58	Chicko1983
0	6	Chris R
8	59	Deacon
9	29	DorkLord54
9	71	Dsyndrome
8	69	ErnieMcCracken
8	66	felixorion
0	7	fgfdgdfg
12	71	FloydtheFathead
0	8	Frank Beamer
0	26	Frustrated_Grunt
6	56	Ganhyun
0	10	Garryk
0	40	GoldenEye 007
0	28	Googly Eyes Dog
0	14	GreenyMac
0	9	HeySeuss
0	16	Jerm411
7	67	jfkgoblue
0	8	Jhriad
8	76	jstevenson
9	68	Karl2177
0	10	Kawl_USC
0	9	Kenpokesbabrie
0	25	KingBrave1
0	10	LionPride
0	30	Lizardking
8	63	Lonestar
9	63	Mac the KNife
9	50	Monroeski
0	8	mre
8	73	MrJames
0	12	nobuyuki
0	34	OceanicAir
7	58	perfectchaos007
0	53	Quake1028
8	60	ryseing
8	76	sf2fanatic
0	13	Stooge
9	61	Subitai
0	23	Surge
6	50	Tebunker
0	5	tetromibi
8	54	TheLetdown
0	44	timetokill
0	4	Titanoboa
11	52	truly101
0	8	whytemyke
0	32	xeris
0	44	Yaboosh
9	70	zyxwvu4321

Top 20(21):
Code:
76	jstevenson
76	sf2fanatic
75	ag
73	MrJames
71	Dsyndrome
71	FloydtheFathead
70	zyxwvu4321
69	ErnieMcCracken
68	Karl2177
67	jfkgoblue
66	felixorion
63	bpfd
63	Lonestar
63	Mac the KNife
62	BTM
61	Subitai
60	Bucknuticus
60	ryseing
59	Deacon
58	Chicko1983
58	perfectchaos007

Week 10 pick 'em: https://goo.gl/forms/5t7PgV38lEKTCFMG2

TEX@TTU
MSU@ILL
OkSt@KSU
BAMA@LSU
NEB@tOSU
AF@ARMY
FAU@RICE
FLA@ARK
FSU@NCSU
ORE@USC
PITT@MIAMI
WASH@CAL

$9.95 guys are saying there were rumors floating around SLC that Gameday had interest in the USC @ UW game next week.

Assuming the Trojans beat Oregon this weekend they should jump into the bottom of the rankings, they've been floating around 27-30 the past two weeks.

The Pac-12 basically needs no upsets the rest of the season.

jfkgoblue

Is it?

Ohio state has an OOC win @#14 Oklahoma
Pitt has an OOC win vs #12 Pedo St
Wiscy has an OOC win vs #13 LSU
Clemson has an OOC win @#9 Auburn

Also, didn't Colorado lose their QB at some point in your game against them?

heh, ok guy. I mean, I'd hold Wincy/LSU, Clemson/Auburn, OSUn/OU, and Alabama/USCw over that mighty win on Colorado.

Easy to say road games don't matter as much, when it's week 6 before you try one out (good ole Rutgers, taking one for the team).
I said one of the best, and its definitely up there.
tOSU, Michigan St, ...?

Please don't say Notre Dame, fuckin everybody thinks they're rivals with Notre Dame.
Ohio State, Michigan State, Minnesota, and yes Notre Dame, we really are rivals with ND though, there is a looong history of hatred between the schools that precedes even the annual game. Who all claims rivalries with ND?

Dsyndrome

I said one of the best, and its definitely up there.

Ohio State, Michigan State, Minnesota, and yes Notre Dame, we really are rivals with ND though, there is a looong history of hatred between the schools that precedes even the annual game. Who all claims rivalries with ND?
Michigan State, Stanford, Navy, USC, sometimes Michigan, and fuck Boston College.

Sotha_Sil

Just saw the rankings. No qualms over Michigan/Clemson or Penn St at 12. I can understand their logic with Washington at 5, but they'll be in if they win out. Right?

Florida and LSU with the SECSECSEC ranking boost. Zero quality wins between them, good for #11 and #13. At least LSU has played some challenging opponents. The one-loss Big 12 teams are probably still overrated.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
FL was bound to be ranked higher than most cause they only have 1 loss. So despite not having a signature win they were bound to be ranked higher than most of the 2 loss teams.

You could make an argument LSU hasn't beaten anyone good though, and they have 2 losses.

I'm also not totally mad about A&M seeing as their 1 loss is to Bama. I might have made a similar case for Louisville since their only loss was on the road at Clemson except they looked like ass last weekend against Virginia.

As long as UDub gets in if they win out it's all good.

Top Bottom