• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2016 Week Six: Hail Married, Together Forever

Kevtones

Oh man. Been in Joshua Tree all weekend. Ducks going to be clearing house. Helfrich is toast.

New OC (he's decent)
New DC (whoops)
Transfer QB (the true Frosh is going to be good)
Young as hell (saving grace)

It's been lovely being good. This is a pretty drastic fall but c'est la vie. Go win the CFP, Washington! Congrats cdhybrid, you guys are back!

Big Ten ideal realignment:

- Kick out Rutgers
- Kick out Maryland
- Kick out Penn State
- Acquire Notre Dame
- Possibly kick out Indiana and Purdue as well, if we really want to make it 10 teams again.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Big Ten ideal realignment:

- Kick out Rutgers
- Kick out Maryland
- Kick out Penn State
- Acquire Notre Dame
- Possibly kick out Indiana and Purdue as well, if we really want to make it 10 teams again.

You can't kick out original members. Sure, Rutgers is downright horrible and will probably never be consistently good, but if it's true they really do add televisions to the conference, they are worth keeping around to be a revenue-generating punching bag.

The conference is aligned pretty well, actually. The lows of the East are much worse than the lows of the West, but the East has currently got better highs in UM and OSU than NU and UW.

Jamesways

You can't kick out original members. Sure, Rutgers is downright horrible and will probably never be consistently good, but if it's true they really do add televisions to the conference, they are worth keeping around to be a revenue-generating punching bag.

The conference is aligned pretty well, actually. The lows of the East are much worse than the lows of the West, but the East has currently got better highs in UM and OSU than NU and UW.
It's a shame Delany wasn't for expandanding just before Mizzou went to the SEC.
Would have been a great addition with Neb.

Nothing says Midwest like New Jersey.

jfkgoblue

It's a shame Delany wasn't for expandanding just before Mizzou went to the SEC.
Would have been a great addition with Neb.

Nothing says Midwest like New Jersey.
Nebraska left before Mizzou, Mizzou openly lobbied the Big Ten for YEARS to join, but the Big Ten just wasn't interested, then the Big Ten added Nebraska and Mizzou gave up and accepted the SEC invite.

The Big 10 needed money & more of a recruiting base.

It got both of those with Maryland & Rutgers. More than they would have with Mizzou.

andycapps

I don't think Rutgers themselves adds much of anything TV revenue wise. What they were after was being able to bundle in the B1G network into basic cable packages in that region. They don't care if anyone watches Rutgers or not.

Expanding the network footprint has more to do with how many new subscribers they can get than what athletic value they can get out of the program. Hence why you get Rutgers and Maryland.

jfkgoblue

I don't think Rutgers themselves adds much of anything TV revenue wise. What they were after was being able to bundle in the B1G network into basic cable packages in that region. They don't care if anyone watches Rutgers or not.

Expanding the network footprint has more to do with how many new subscribers they can get than what athletic value they can get out of the program. Hence why you get Rutgers and Maryland.
Yep, FOX was able to bundle with YES so BTN was put in basic in the entire NYC metro, which I a lot of money for BTN

andycapps

There's been talk about LSU/UF rescheduling their game for October 29th. The only problem is that that is the date for the Cocktail Party. UGA has an open date the week before so they could theoretically move the game to then. But they have no reason to, and many reasons not to. One is that they'd be giving up an extra week of preparation for one of the bigger games on the schedule. Another is that fall break for students coincides with the game. Another is that many fans book vacations on the Golden Isles during that time. The city of Jax also has a ton of events planned for the current weekend.

Changing plans isn't something that happens on a whim.

So I'm hoping UGA's AD comes out and says that it's not an option. LSU and UF can cancel their cupcake games and have the league cover the cost and they can play that game then.

jjasper

The best thing to do is to delay the SEC championship game a week. It would require a lot of work and cooperation from the playoff committee and bowls but it has been done before.

andycapps

The best thing to do is to delay the SEC championship game a week. It would require a lot of work and cooperation from the playoff committee and bowls but it has been done before.
True, but I'm hoping if they don't do that then they play the game on cupcake weekend.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I know we laugh at the whole student athlete aspect of college athletes, but that really is starting to fuck with exams if you push the SECCG back another week.

jjasper

I know we laugh at the whole student athlete aspect of college athletes, but that really is starting to fuck with exams if you push the SECCG back another week.

Yeah that is right in the middle of when our exams were when I was a student at UT. There is really no great answer though at this point. Sankey really botched his first big issue as commissioner.

ag-my001

Cupcake weekend + move the LSU/A&M game back to Saturday after Thanksgiving. More time to rearrange plans, less people affected as family stays can be adjusted more easily.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Cupcake weekend + move the LSU/A&M game back to Saturday after Thanksgiving. More time to rearrange plans, less people affected as family stays can be adjusted more easily.

How would old Jerra handle this betrayal, though?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Who gets fired first, Mora or Strong?

is UCLA just running against some bad injury luck? Or just losing to a top 10 SEC team, and the 1 or 2 times that Stanford has played Stanford football?

No way are they as broken as Texas is. Strong goes first.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
We lost 38-44 and pretty much nobody is criticizing the defense, who actually played well enough to win for the most part. They held KSU to field goals in the red zone 3 times, 7 of KSU's points were a pick 6, and 7 more were a kickoff return. Our offense gave them the ball twice on our own side of the field on failed 4th down conversions.

It's a game we should have won but didn't for the same reason we, and many other schools, have lost games against KSU they should have won; we made mistakes, they didn't.

Outside of the Arizona State game, our defense appears to have progressed to at least "well below average," a distinct improvement over the "god awful" we've grown accustomed to. This is the kind of statement you make to make yourself feel better before you hit the meat of good offenses on your schedule and drop back down to last place.

Nebraska left before Mizzou, Mizzou openly lobbied the Big Ten for YEARS to join, but the Big Ten just wasn't interested, then the Big Ten added Nebraska and Mizzou gave up and accepted the SEC invite.

Yup Mizzou, begged to be let in, because they knew the Big 12 was toast. Was it that Missouri was not AAU school?

is UCLA just running against some bad injury luck? Or just losing to a top 10 SEC team, and the 1 or 2 times that Stanford has played Stanford football?

UCLA struggled against UNLV as well I think. Mora was supposed to be Washington's Savior, who knew it was going to be Petersen.

Remember kids, this is somehow a chop block

CuaV0oXWgAAlOJv.jpg

It's a mixture of everything. Bad play calling, offense and defense can't make impact plays. Truthfully it's hard to watch them play. UCLA should be 5-0.

Remember kids, this is somehow a chop block

I'd need to see it in motion to know if you're a biased liar or not.

For real, though. Refs miss calls all the time. As long as they aren't the calls that cause you to lose a player for the whole game or to actually lose the game (like Okie State), it's whatever.

I'd need to see it in motion to know if you're a biased liar or not.

For real, though. Refs miss calls all the time. As long as they aren't the calls that cause you to lose a player for the whole game or to actually lose the game (like Okie State), it's whatever.

Caused us to miss the spread, the fix is in!

jfkgoblue

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Nebraska ranked 10th. Damn if I don't love it, but that is way too high! Here's hoping we go into Wiscy 7-0 and don't fold under the pressure!

I said 9-3 was likely at the start of the season, and right now, barring cataclysmic injury, seems inevitable, if maybe even at the low end of reality.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Coaches poll:

1. Alabama (58)
2. Ohio St. (4)
3. Clemson (1)
4. Michigan
5. Washington
6. Texas A&M
7. Louisville
8. Baylor
9. Nebraska
10. Wisconsin
11. Tennessee
12. Houston
13. Ole Miss
14. Florida
15. Boise State
16. Florida State
17. Miami (FL)
18. West Virginia
19. Virginia Tech
20. Oklahoma
21. Utah
22. Arkansas
23. Western Michigan
24. Arizona State
25. LSU

Others Receiving Votes:
Auburn 70; Georgia 63; Navy 58; South Florida 53; North Carolina 51; North Carolina State 34; Oklahoma State 29; Southern California 13; Stanford 12; Washington State 8; Colorado 7; Memphis 6; Wake Forest 6; Troy 6; TCU 5; Penn State 3; Pittsburgh 3; Appalachian State 3; San Diego State 2; South Alabama 1; Tulsa 1; Middle Tennessee 1

The UCLA offensive line has been awful, I dunno if it is injuries though. Rosen is hurt now so that's not good.

I think Strong goes first because there aren't that many angry UCLA football fans. Even if this year was probably their year to take control of the division.

Quake1028

Freshman wide receiver Sam Bruce has been dismissed from the Miami football program based on multiple violations of team rules and a failure on his part to meet the clear expectations established to be a part of the Miami football program," Miami said in a statement. "We wish Sam well with his future academic and football endeavors.

Hmm, wonder what he did.

Top Bottom